Exercise Accountability Thread for Jan '08 Mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 09-02-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been seriously inactive as of late. Of course, it doesn't help that our local pool is closed for annual maintenance, plus I'm getting over a nasty cold. Anyhow, I need someone to hold me accountable! In about a week and a half, we have a new session starting at the Y, and I'm signed up for both prenatal water and prenatal yoga (1x/week each). I'm so excited! So, this coming week, I think I need to start doing more to ease into it. I'm thinking walking.

Anyone care to join me on this thread? : We can all check in regularly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 69 Old 09-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Me! I am trying to keep up with my 5 day a week workout but this separated pelvis makes it extremely difficult. I'm doing good lately if I manage 3 days. I really need to just get over it and force myself to do it. I used to jog but now I walk very fast on an incline for 35 minutes.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#3 of 69 Old 09-02-2007, 05:59 PM

I am the most inactive ever! I've got to get my butt off the couch and get moving. :

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#4 of 69 Old 09-02-2007, 06:01 PM

What's moving?
#5 of 69 Old 09-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Count me in! I've been making it to the gym about 3 times a week (where I do some mellow walking, stretching,some weights, some time in the pool). I end up doing yoga at home (and/or some weights) 1-2 times a week and neighborhood walks 1-2 times a week. I'd like to get to the gym more, because I can focus best there and increase my intensity and strength.

I guess my goal is to go to the gym 3-4 times a week. It's hard to fit it in. I'm a WOHM who also needs to spend time with my dd, cook meals, clean the house, and stay somewhat organized. Basically I need to make a plan and stick with it, budgeting all things in.

Oh yeah! Lately I've been riding my bike to work - (five to ten minutes each way )
#6 of 69 Old 09-02-2007, 06:38 PM

I try . . . our job is pretty active but I've been trying to walk for 1/2 hour after the boys are in bed every night. I love my yoga DVDs but haven't found the motivation to do them lately (anyone got some for me?). I did just get back from 1 1/2 hours in the pool and I feel SOOO much better!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#7 of 69 Old 09-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Hi, Can I join in? My babe is due at the end of January, and up until 4 weeks ago I wasn't able to do much - apart from staying in bed or on the couch all day long. I'm up to walking 45 minutes each day. I haven't run or lifted weights in long enough now that I think I'd better just stick to fast walking.
#8 of 69 Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to see some of you are in the same boat with me. And some of you are out there doing some great things! Keep it up! This morning, DH, DS and I walked for about 40 mins. (Where's the patting-myself-on-the-back smilie?)
#9 of 69 Old 09-03-2007, 04:34 PM

I'm not doing tons of exercise, but walking 3ish times a week (pretty quickly, too - my 3 y.o. rides a bike and I have to keep up to her ). My hips are starting to ache (from relaxin - happened early in pregnancy #2, too), so I can't do huge hikes anymore. My dd's toddler hiking class (called Tiny Trail Trekkers - how cute is that!) starts next week, so we'll be walking 1x a week with them.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#10 of 69 Old 09-03-2007, 04:34 PM

I am really trying to be more active. I have been doing about 20 min of cardio 3x/week. However, I am also struggling with anxiety and sometimes the sensations of exercise are really difficult for me. I have some palpitations (which were checked last year pre-preg and are completely benign, but still make me nutty). That being said, I know exercise is a great stress reducer.....thus the conflict! I have noticed that I do better with the A/C way up and if I'm pretty relaxed to begin with. I have been doing floorwork pretty consistently to strengthen legs, hips and bottom so I am happy about that.

My goal for this week is to do 4 days of cardio (20m).

I'll keep you all posted!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#11 of 69 Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Our new Y session starts TOMORROW, and I signed up for prenatal water aerobics 3X/week.
I am so fricken lazy, but since I spent $90, you bet my fat a$$ I'm going!

CPST
#12 of 69 Old 09-04-2007, 03:47 PM

My goal has been yoga for 20 mins 5 days a week and my workout tape (I love this one! http://www.progressiveparent.com/Pre...cy_Workout.htm)

3 days a week. Then I want to add walking when it gets cooler for some cardio. But sticking to it is hard!!! With activites, and sick kids, and just plain blahs, it's difficult. I love my big latin booty, but it can get way out of control if I don't stay up on it

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#13 of 69 Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 PM

I have no motivation on my own, but I'll tell you what - having a dog is really good motivation. I can't deny her her favorite part of the day. So I walk my dog for about 45 minutes whether I want to or not. It's helped that Dh is recovering from a broken leg so I can't make him do it that often And if it weren't for him, I'd probably not go to the gym either, but I go with him. I'd like to do some prenatal yoga. I'll have to find a good video. My gym has a water aerobics and I might try that this fall too.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#14 of 69 Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Mamas in Various States of In/Activity,
I've got to do more too. Walking right now is about the extent of my exercise, incl. a conscious effort to DO THE STAIRS. I am hoping to get in some dancing here and there, but I'm so tired and yadda yadda yadda. I'm hoping this thread will nudge me.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#15 of 69 Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 PM

OMG - seriously. I got my butt KICKED this morning. Wah. I felt so pathetic.
Every part of me aches.
Mostly, I was able to keep up, but the upper body/arm strength part REALLY was hard for me....and I felt so horrible, there were 2 other preggos, a postpartum mom, and a senior(elderly) lady in PT taking the prenatal class because it is gentler than the regular aquacise....and we got to this one part where we had to push the kickboards under water, and they were all like "zoom" and I could BARELY do it! Oh yeah, great for the esteem......

Anyway, I am SO glad I decided to do this. I know that SO MUCH of my horrible, long, difficult recovery from dd's birth was likely caused/contributed by the fact I was in such poor physical shape, and honestly, it's WORSE this time around.....before dd, I actually exercised some...but the last couple years I really haven't at all.....so I'm hoping I can just tone and get a tiny bit better before the birth.....

CPST
#16 of 69 Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bobandjess - once you do the classes for a little while you'll find your body 'conditioned' to do things more easily. Nobody just starting out would find it effortless! Give yourself a chance!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#17 of 69 Old 09-12-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

How's it going this week, ladies? My water class started last night and I loved it! I felt so relaxed afterward! And I'm taking it with a friend who's due about a week and a half after me, so it was fun to chat about diapers and birth and all that stuff.
#18 of 69 Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM

I just got back from a short walk

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#19 of 69 Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 PM

Oh how fun! I'd love to have someone IRL to talk about diapers with!

My walking's going great - especially now that Fall seems to be here! I'm finding that I can walk much faster than I did last week because I'm not suffocating with the heat and humidity. It's the first year ever that I've been happy to see summer go!
#20 of 69 Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 PM

i find that exercise is the one thing that i REALLY need during pregnancy to take care of myself. (some people like a long bath or an extra nap. i NEED my exercise, for so many reasons...)

right now, i'm managing to get between 2 and 3 hours of exercise in each day. once winter comes, i'm afraid that i'm gonna be stuck in the house during the time that i am usually getting out with the kids, and that makes me nervous.

i live on a steep, dirt mountain road. every day, i push one or both of my toddlers in a jogging stroller for an energetic walk/hike for 5-6 miles. then, at night, i do an hour at a fair clip with the treadmill at a slight incline. i like to use the time to read or watch a movie with DH.

when i don't get my workout in, i am VERY crabby. everyone knows how important it is to me, to help me feel more like myself and stronger.

i hope that we can all encourage each other to keep moving (or to find the time/capability to do it) as january rolls closer. i'm so afraid of being stuck inside without the ability to get a good workout in. i fear i might go insane!

peace,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#21 of 69 Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 PM

I did the video mentioned above...The Perfect Pregnancy Workout, or as I refer to it as, the arm circles from hell video, and it was the first pregnancy workout video that I have seen where I actually felt like I got a workout. My legs definitely feel it.

I still don't want to talk about the arm circles. What a way to surprise a girl. How long is that for anyway? Nevermind. Don't tell me. I don't want to know.

#22 of 69 Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 PM

ugh. arm circles. man, i hate those. but i hate the flap under my arm even more. at least that's the kind of thing you can do while you're doing something else (so long as no one important is watching- i think i probably look really silly doing them). but i guess they're good cause you can do them almost anywhere.

i need to get in the habit of adding things like this to my day without making it part of a specific routine- that is, when i have some extra time just lounging around, i should move some part of my body. it doesn't have to be part of designated workout time.

hmmm... man, i'm getting tired just thinking about this stuff.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#23 of 69 Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 PM

I think it was the unknown that was so hard. I had no idea how much longer it would be. Kind of like labor....I think that is what it was supposed to be, a mental exercise, type of thing.

#24 of 69 Old 09-13-2007, 12:13 AM

I'm in. I've been having tons of contractions and I think it is partly due to not being in shape. I'm doing yoga once a day for at least 30 minutes (in the morning before the kids get up and trying to add a session at night before bed), bellydancing for 15-20 minutes which I can do with the kids as they love to dance, and walking. I don't really time the walking, it is just a short walk with the kids to get out of the house.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#25 of 69 Old 09-13-2007, 12:08 PM

Hey all! I was just clicking around a little while cooling down some from exercising and saw this thread. I am doing pretty hard workouts still but I know that the cardio at least will be slowing down drastically soon. Today I did a cardio kickboxing workout that kicked my butt!! I really credit these workouts for keeping my core strong so I don't have any lower back pain (yet!!) I also feel/sleep/eat/etc better when I am exercising. I hope that everyone is doing well!
Katie
#26 of 69 Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM

i thought i'd give this thread a little bump to see how everyone else was doing.

i just got back from our morning hike, and i am BEAT. pushing 85 lbs of toddlers uphill for all those miles is starting to wear on my back, methinks. plus, it's really hot and humid today. i hate to cut back on my workouts at all, since they're making such a difference in my pregnancy. but i'm thinking that maybe tonight i'll do my nighttime treadmill routine without the usual incline, and see if that makes me less tired tomorrow. it's such a tradeoff- i know these workouts are doing wonders to keep me healthy and strong for labor, but i don't want to be exhausted all the time, either.

hope everyone else is keeping up as much as they can/would like!

peace,
hcm

#27 of 69 Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM

I've just been walking around the block several times in the evenings when it cools off (it's still in the upper 80s here in Central PA!). I feel a lot better when I do it, even if it does remind me of how out of shape I am. :P

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#28 of 69 Old 09-27-2007, 03:07 PM

My exercise class is kicking butt! She totally teaches how you can make each exercise easier, or harder, depending on your own fitness level, so that everyone in the class can get a kick-butt workout withoiut overdoing it.....I personally push myself a bit, because I REALLY want to get the most out of the class, you know? It's so great, because we do something a bit different each day, so some days we really work our core/abs, some days our thighs and legs, sometimes upper body...but I always walk away feeling SOMEthing - not to the point of actually "poulling" a muscle, and being in a lot of pain, but that mildly achey feeling like "hey, I worked these muscles today".
Yay, I love my class!

CPST
#29 of 69 Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Jess, that's awesome! I'm glad you're liking it so much! That's a water class, right? I wish my water class was that good. The instructor doesn't seem very qualified (she does triceps extensions incorrectly, for example) and the class is EXACTLY the same as when I took it 3 1/2 years ago! OTOH, I feel really relaxed afterward and sleep well, and I figure any exercise is better than no exercise.
#30 of 69 Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomma View Post
I did the video mentioned above...The Perfect Pregnancy Workout, or as I refer to it as, the arm circles from hell video, and it was the first pregnancy workout video that I have seen where I actually felt like I got a workout. My legs definitely feel it.

I still don't want to talk about the arm circles. What a way to surprise a girl. How long is that for anyway? Nevermind. Don't tell me. I don't want to know.
I know, right?! I can't look at the screen while I'm doing them because her serenity makes it worse. i wander around the house like a crazy with a grimace.

That butt kicked feeling is great. I feel like a big strong mama bear or something afterwards

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page