Had my U/S today! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Peanut looks great and is kicking the crap out of me but can't feel anything due to an anterior placenta. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have attached to my c-sec scar.

We declined to find out the sex even though I was trying to peek : .

My only concern was how long the tech kept trying to take a picture of the heart. There were definitely 4 chambers but she spent 10 minutes on the heart alone. She sent a second tech to look and she said the baby was squirming too much to get a good pic. I'm hoping they weren't lying to me and that Peanut's heart is okay.

Otherwise, the techs said this would feel like a kung-fu baby if it wasn't for the placenta.

On a side note, does an anterior placenta cause any birth complications? I'm hoping for a vbac this time around.

Thanks mamas!
#2 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on a vigorous, energetic babe! How exciting!

As for the length of the ultrasound and second technician, I remember them taking a long time each pregnancy (esp. the first time 'round and she was considered an 'expert' technician). Perhaps it really was as they said. If there WAS something of concern, they'd report it to your practitioner who would have a chat with you. : that it was just as they said.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#3 of 9 Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 PM

At my 13 week nuchal translucency u/s with the perinatologist, she said that the placenta was covering my c-sec scar. My doctor's sonographer didn't mention it covering the scar at my 18 week anatomy scan, so I'm hoping that means it's moved up...

My bf had anterior placentas with both her pregnancies, and had normal vaginal deliveries for both, with no complications (she just had her 2nd, and did it without drugs in under 4 hours). I don't know how the anterior placenta might affect things if you've had a previous section, though. Something to ask my OB at my next appt, since I'm in the same boat as you.
#4 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Congrats! If there were anything wrong with the heart, I'd think it would be against the "rules" to hide it from you. They would at least have to tell your doc/mw, and then it would be discussed with you. It was probably just that baby really was too active to get a good look.
#5 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Congratulations on all good news!
#6 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 02:36 PM

Congrats! They usually look at hearts a little longer than everything else. No worries I'm sure.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#7 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 06:37 PM
g&a

Congrats!

I've had anterior placentas both times. With DD nobody ever mentioned it being a big deal (I was less informed then, but you'd think my creepy, interventionist ob would have said something if she was worried about it). This time the midwife just wanted to make sure it was not on my c/s scar as that can make hemoraging worse when you birth the placenta.

The only thing is that you don't feel the kicks as much, other than that, not a big deal at all. Just another variation of normal.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#8 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Congrats on your pictures! If you are still concerned about the u/s I would call your MW/doc on monday and just ask to talk to a nurse or someone about it.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#9 of 9 Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. I guess the first tech stressed me out more than I thought.

It is so hard for me to get pregnant that this is one little thing that I waited for more than anything else.

I'll be grateful for any movement I feel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page