23 weeks and sadly, still dont look pregnant. Anyone else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It really depresses me. I have an early baby shower out of state in 3 weeks and I dont even look like I am going have a baby! People are going to wonder what the baby shower is for!
#2 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Guess not. Now I really feel alone
#3 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 01:07 PM

I didn't want to tell you the comments I get becuase I was afraid to make you feel worse, I'm not quite 5 feet tall and people keep saying WHOA how are you going to make it to January? Like I need to feel any bigger, I already feel like I'm gigantic and I'm just coming up to 21 weeks.

I kind of envy that you're carrying less obviously than I apparently am, how tall are you?
#4 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Jumping in from the December ddc. I'm assuming this your 1st baby? With my dd I was just starting to get a bump between 23-25 weeks. This time around I popped out at 10 weeks. It usually takes longer to show with first pregnancies. I'm sure you'll pop out soon.
#5 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Well I think I look pregnant. I certainly feel pregnant. But I still have people who say things like "oh I didn't know you were pregnant" when I mention it somehow in conversation. Does that count? I actually look LESS pregnant when I wear maternity clothes too, because they are baggier. If I wear normal clothes, they are tighter fitting and I look more pregnant.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#6 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 PM
g&a

A friend of mine had her baby at 24 weeks and some of her neighbours didn't even know she was pregnant! Boy were they surprised to hear she'd had a baby!!

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#7 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 01:58 PM

though i popped much earlier this time around, i'm still not very big. in fact, it was only last tuesday that the first person outside of my family mentioned the fact that (whoa!) i'm pregnant(!!!). granted, i'm tall, so it has a lot of space to hide.

i find that i'm pretty tiny in the morning, but throughout the day, things "shift" a bit, and by the evening, i'm bona fide pregnant.

don't worry about it, though. my first time, i was so eager to look pregnant, that i ate a ton and got pretty huge. i nursed it all away in the first 6 weeks, but it made for a really uncomfortable third trimester. with the subsequent pregnancies, i've made it my goal to take care of myself, stay fit, and trust my body to be as big (or little) as it needs to be to carry each baby.

i'm sure you can find some maternity shirts that make you look a little bigger, too, if you're really concerned about the shower. i know that some things make my belly look much huger than it is.

feel confident in your body and in your baby!

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 02:22 PM
SMS

Don't worry about it, it will happen. I didn't show until around this time (22 weeks) with my first. Just this weekend, when I took my DD to swimming lessons, I started talking to another woman waiting for the class to start. I told her we were expecting in January. Her response? "Not from your body!" I said, "Yes, I am just squished into this bathing suit." So, even in a bathing suit, I must hide it well too, though I feel VERY pregnant!
#9 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

SarahJen - AHhh! you suck! (j/k) I knew you'd be showing because of your small frame. I am 5'6, and a little heavy. So, I know that accounts for some of it, but I feel like the baby hasn't really moved up either. His kicks are so low. I feel like my uterus is stuck or something.

DoulaLMT - That is how I am. Sometimes I think, hello, you do kinda look it, but then I know other poepl have NO idea. And I certainly FEEL pregnant.

HardCoreMom - Yes, I have been wearing some maternity shirts because my fat stomach has been pushed out a bit. That does help a bit. Fitted clothes just make me look fat.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know people always say, at least people aren't saying I am so huge, but I dont think I would mind that at all. i would love for people to know I was carrying my little one around.
#10 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 04:06 PM

I've only just really started showing and suspect a lot of people don't realize I am. I was wearing my 'fat' jeans (though technically all of my jeans are fat jeans ) up until a couple of weeks ago when I could no longer cram myself in them. Since I've switched to maternity jeans I think I look a lot more pregnant but my guess is some people just think I'm gaining weight or something.
#11 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Although I am showing.....I wasn't showing until around 24 weeks w/ DS. On the other hand one of the mommies in our toddler playgroup is due 2 weeks before me and we both of toddlers so have been through it once. She doesn't look pregnant at all still in reg. clothes.....and then that really makes me feel huge.

Everyone is so...different. I wouldn't worry about it. When you are 38-42 weeks you will be wishing you were not showing again. LOL
#12 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 05:03 PM

With my first I didn't show until after 20 weeks. SHe was born 4/16 and I know at Christmas I didn't look PG at all in any of hte pics. At Thanksgiving my cousin was PG w/#3 a month after me and was MUCH bigger than I was (she is small framed, so it was all baby). With my second I showed much sooner, around 12-14 weeks I went into Maternity and by 16 or so weeks everyone could tell I was PG. THIS time around I swear I had to borrow a maternity dress from a friend when I was 8 weeks to go to a wedding!!! I had people asking when I was due at the wedding.... it was in June! Of course it turned out to be twins, but I swear I am just huge this time around. I am only 5'2" so babies don't have much else to go besides out.
#13 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 PM

I volunteered at dd's kindy the other day. Every time they played music and sang, the baby started dancing around. I had to shift myself around to get comfy and made a comment about her movements. The TA just about fell out of her chair that not only was a pregnant, but that I was far enough along that I could actually feel the baby. So, nope, not showing here either - although my size 2s are a thing of the past. I've got a very long torso - lots of hiding room. I think I was about 6 months along with dd1 before others could tell I was pregnant.
#14 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM

I'm getting all gigundo. But with my first, I was slightly overweight, and didn't show til at least 23-24 weeks, and then it was only when I wore a snug shirt. I just looked fat for a long time. This time, I started out underweight, and they say you show sooner with your second anyway -- I look like I'm 6 months pregnant already, and I'm 20 weeks. Blah. I want to wear normal pants!
#15 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM

OP.......you are not alone!!!! I am 23wks (Thursday is my flit-day) and I don't look pregnant at all! Maybe at the end of the day, after my last meal, while wearing stretch shorts that are on the tight side I may have a bit of a belly. But that's it. And I don't look pregnant even then, I look bloated at best.

I am still under the radar at work, and I am just carrying this baby so differently because with dd I was in maternity clothes at 9wks. I am so low this time!

I was 155lbs when I got pregnant, got down to 144 and this morning I was 146.5. I am 5'6" so I pretty much look the same as I always have. I bought a pair of maternity jeans last week just because I wanted to. I know I will pop eventually, but the baby is seriously in my lower back, not my belly!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#16 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM

I'm 29 weeks and I think people still just think I'm fat.

#17 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 PM

This is my 3rd child and I have only gained 5 lbs!
And I'm also 23 weeks....
I'm glad I'm not alone....

I want to look preg, not just that I have gained weight!
Started at 110...now at 115lbs.

Hopefully we'll pop soon!
#18 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM

I'm 19 weeks and not looking pregnant either. I have do have some belly there, but it really just looks like a beer gut, especially when I have a shirt on.

This happened last time, too. I have a long torso, so there is lots of room for the baby to hide. Hang in there. Eventually I did start looking pregnant last time.
#19 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
It really depresses me. I have an early baby shower out of state in 3 weeks and I dont even look like I am going have a baby! People are going to wonder what the baby shower is for!
I am 22 weeks now, and I just went to a wedding on Sunday where a bunch of people were all surprised when they "heard" that I was pregnant...after spending the entire night with me! I go out of my way to LOOK pregnant...and i think it's kinda undeniable at this point...but apparently I just look fat to some people.
THAT pisses me off.
I'm not one of these skinny chicks who has a bump out front...unmistakably prego..but I don't think it looks natural for me to have a bump, be holding it and wearing a maternity dress...and NOT be pregnant!
People are just annoying.
Then, a handful of people were also like "Oh...okay, I just didnt' want to assume 'cause you never know". I get that...not something you want to be wrong about. I just wish people would assume pregnancy instead of "Just fat". I'm proud of what little bump I have.
Even if it's not common assumption yet.
the "in between" stage sucks.

: : :

: Momma to :Gabriel and wife to :Robert. We are a family
#20 of 26 Old 09-10-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafwood View Post
OP.......you are not alone!!!! I am 23wks (Thursday is my flit-day) and I don't look pregnant at all! Maybe at the end of the day, after my last meal, while wearing stretch shorts that are on the tight side I may have a bit of a belly. But that's it. And I don't look pregnant even then, I look bloated at best.

I am still under the radar at work, and I am just carrying this baby so differently because with dd I was in maternity clothes at 9wks. I am so low this time!

I was 155lbs when I got pregnant, got down to 144 and this morning I was 146.5. I am 5'6" so I pretty much look the same as I always have. I bought a pair of maternity jeans last week just because I wanted to. I know I will pop eventually, but the baby is seriously in my lower back, not my belly!
Mine seems low too, he is totally dancing so low, and I keep waiting for him to move on up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter_shima View Post
I am 22 weeks now, and I just went to a wedding on Sunday where a bunch of people were all surprised when they "heard" that I was pregnant...after spending the entire night with me! I go out of my way to LOOK pregnant...and i think it's kinda undeniable at this point...but apparently I just look fat to some people.
THAT pisses me off.
I'm not one of these skinny chicks who has a bump out front...unmistakably prego..but I don't think it looks natural for me to have a bump, be holding it and wearing a maternity dress...and NOT be pregnant!
People are just annoying.
Then, a handful of people were also like "Oh...okay, I just didnt' want to assume 'cause you never know". I get that...not something you want to be wrong about. I just wish people would assume pregnancy instead of "Just fat". I'm proud of what little bump I have.
Even if it's not common assumption yet.
the "in between" stage sucks.

: : :

I think I could have wrote this!!!! Oh thanks to everyone who responded because I dont feel so sad about it now, and I dont feel so alone! I hope I wake up soon and have popped, but it seems so impossible! I too feel like I look a little different at that really other people just think "that lady is fat"
#21 of 26 Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 AM

yeah, i hate those bewildered looks from people who you kind of know but don't really "know" (ya know? ha ha), who are all wondering if you're actually pregnant or just getting pudgy. hello, people? see these cheek bones? i'm not fat- it's a baby for gosh sakes!

i also find myself sticking my gut out in public, just to make sure people are sure i'm truly pregnant when they look at me. it's so silly, and afterward, i feel so dumb for needing strangers to believe i'm not just heavy.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#22 of 26 Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 AM

Boy, how I envy anyone that doesnt show...I had that bump you all are talking about right when I had just missed my period...

now at 22 weeks people think that I should pop now...oh the comments are killing me so I have just decided that staying at home is what I have to do from now on...cuz i am sooo sensitive that anyone says anything and I am teary eyed.... granted this is pregnancy #5 but people have no mercy...so thank whatever it is that you thank that you aren't showing yet.

But i do remember for my first pregnancy i started wearing maternity clothes before i even hit two months hopng that i would show...lolol

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#23 of 26 Old 09-12-2007, 01:33 AM

i just wanted to add that at 21 weeks i don't really look pregnant...today a friend of mine (who is a guy and always likes to say things to piss me off) said, "i don't even think you are pregnant...you just look like your fat self." which i'm not fat, but i think he meant i just look pudgy. i wanted to throw him out of the car. i do worry that people who don't know i'm pregnant just think that i am gaining weight. i really don't care i just wish it was obvious that i was pregnant. so i know how you feel.
#24 of 26 Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, that is the thing. I just want it to be obvious. I want to walk into a store and for people to know.
#25 of 26 Old 09-12-2007, 01:47 PM

i feel like this sometimes.. i think i look pregnant but im not skinny to begin with so some people probably do think im just big and fat..

but in a few months we are all going to be complaining that we are HUGE.. trust me!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#26 of 26 Old 09-12-2007, 03:17 PM

I thought I was showing, got all excited when I "popped" and everything. But apparently I only show to myself and those who know me and see me every day, and also towards the end of the day. Others just think I'm overweight, even people I see about once a week or even once every couple of weeks don't realize I'm pregnant until I mention it. I'm actually down four pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight right now but I have a bump, people just think it is fat since I'm not in any way a size two. I was feeling pretty down about it until I remembered that with my first I started out at a size three (sigh) and at this point people didn't know what to make of me either. I'm 5'3 but I have wide hips so I guess the baby kind of hides in there. :

I've bought a few maternity clothes and I definitely look less pregnant in them. I was wearing my pre-pregnancy clothes until then and look more pregnant in them. I still wear some of them when I want to look obviously pregnant (and I guess the fact that they still fit, though they have some stretch, should show me that I'm not really showing that much yet).

Mama to two boys and a girl.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page