Will you be getting tested for gestational diabetes? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 62 Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizznicole View Post
I just found out that I failed the first test (scored 147) and have to go back for the 3 hour. Does anyone know how that works? And what are the implications? What do you do if you have GD?
I just had the 3-hour test last week because I scored 147 on the 1-hour too. You have to fast for 10-12 hrs, then have your blood drawn when you get there (some practitioners will put you on a high-carb diet for the few days prior to the test, but mine didn't). Then you drink the glucola drink (2 x sweeter than the first one since it's 100 mg of glucose rather than 50), which made me feel pretty nausous and lightheaded. You have blood drawn 3 more times after this, after each hour.

It was pretty terrible for me because I have a phobia about having blood taken, but apparently only about 20-25% of women who take the 3-hour test are actually diagnosed with GD. I wouldn't have taken the tests in the first place, but I have no concept of my family history since my mom is adopted and my entire family on my father's side is deceased. I also tend to have kind of wonky blood sugar when I'm not pregnant.

I can't speak with certainty about what happens if you're diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure you get referred to a nutritionist to modify your diet, and start monitoring yourself with a glucometer at home. Then if that doesn't get your levels within a normal range you go on insulin. But again, I'm not positive.

Good luck, mama! I feel you!

wife to DH since 10/03, mama to DS (12/07)
also mom to small zoo: 3 snakes, 4 and one very lovable pit bull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 62 Old 10-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I don't enjoy blood draws either. That's why I wanted a natural birth...no IVs!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page