Will you be getting tested for gestational diabetes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did with my first but I don't feel like I want to with this one. First off, I have to drive 45 mins. to see the midwife and I don't want to do that after having fasted for 8 (10?) hours. Plus, I caved on the ultrasound and had that I just don't want any more tests. What are you going to do?

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 62 Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 PM

I'm going to skip the glucola and do the finger stick each morning instead. My midwife doesn't make you fast but I felt really awful after drinking the glucola last time that I would rather poke myself with a needle and check that way.
#3 of 62 Old 09-16-2007, 09:42 PM

Nope---didn't do it the first time, and won't this time either. I don't have any risk factors, and the whole test just sounds icky anyway.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#4 of 62 Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 PM

my midwife just had you eat a regular breakfast, and does the finger prick. i don't mind doing it, it's pretty non-invasive. i wouldn't do the glucola one again, though. did that with my first.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#5 of 62 Old 09-16-2007, 10:51 PM

Nope, I know I'm diabetic (all the time, lol!), so it'd be stupid and dangerous!!

CPST
#6 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 AM

Well i have gotten it done everytime and before i pregnant as part of a routine checkup the doctor made me do it cuz my dad is diabetic....so i told them i just got it done before i was prego and they are insisting I get it done again....I almost puked when i wasnt pregnant drinking that nasty stuff --maybe i will just have to miss my appointment...

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#7 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 AM

I have many risk factors due to genetics. My test is Thursday...although I was told NOT to fast, just to not eat sweets
#8 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM

Nope.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#9 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 AM

I didnt realize I had an option. The dr. office said I needed to do it anytime after tomorrow. I am doing it next Tuesday. But they didnt tell me to fast, they said to avoid sweet, and to avoid carbs for the 2 hours before the test. They also said to eat a small protein meal before the test. I guess I will just do it, I am a fat ass, isnt it more common in fat people?
#10 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
I did with my first but I don't feel like I want to with this one. First off, I have to drive 45 mins. to see the midwife and I don't want to do that after having fasted for 8 (10?) hours. Plus, I caved on the ultrasound and had that I just don't want any more tests. What are you going to do?
This is my eighth pregnancy and I've never been tested for GD nor will I be. I had several GTTs when I was in high school and consider them very dangerous to anyone who would test positive. They purposefully induce wild blood sugar swings in their suspected at risk population How crazy is it to design a test such that the healthy ones aren't harmed but those with the condition are?

Anyway, I tested positive and once I moved away from home and started cooking for myself never had any symptoms. I'm positive if I went back to my parents' diet I'd be diabetic within a year.

*IF* I ever had any symptoms of sugar issues, rather than taking a GTT, I'd borrow a glucometer, monitor my own blood sugar levels, and treat myself through diet to the best of my ability... which is much easier given the rapid feedback from the glucometer.

~BV
#11 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Yes and No.

My midwife does a finger-prick test.
Wake up, eat a good protein breakfast without sugar and very low-carb.
MW shows up and pricks to test sugar.
Eat a donut or cookies or something. Go through the rest of appt and do all the normal stuff.
One hour after eating the sweets, do another finger-prick.
And that's it!

Because I have "sugar-issues" (I guess you could say I'm bordeline GD) during pregnancy, I've already had one. We'll do another later (I think around 30 weeks?).

Last time, I had 2 tests as well because I was showing signs of GD.

First time around, I did the glucola thing with an OB. I think I got to eat a normal breakfast, drink 1/2 bottle of glucola, go to lab and have blood drawn 1 hour after drinking the stuff. I felt nauseous and gross for the rest of the day! It was awful. Fortunately I passed though.

Good Luck!
--LEE
#12 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM

My mw has me drink 16 oz of orange juice an hour before drawing the blood. That's, like, less than a normally drink in a day, anyway

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#13 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I haven't done it and my midwife hasn't said anything about it. I have done them in the past and they make me feel like crap. I think I might decline it this time.

My midwife and I are clashing though and I am on the hunt for a new OB. So, everything might change with the new doc.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#14 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 PM

I'll be getting it, I have many genetic risk factors as well. The mws I see don't do the fasting one and it really doesn't bother me to have it done.

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#15 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 PM

I just saw my MW today. She gave me the paperwork for the 1-hour GTT and told me to go in 2 weeks and then go back to see her a week later. With dd I "failed" the one hour and had the 3 hour which was fine. Dd weighed 7lbs full term and I seriously don't want to drink the glucola again! Ugh! I didn't aske the MW about my options because I was preoccupied with the fact that I couldn't pee in the cup after having IBS over the weekend. I think I may call to see if I can do another type of screening.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#16 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 PM

I have no qualms about it, so I'll be having mine at this Friday's appt. Easier here then in Vegas, they gave me the drink to take home and I just have to drink it 1 hour before my appt (while I'm driving the TWO hours to my appt!) and no other food from that point.

I've had them w/ all my pregnancies and they don't bother me a bit. The drink's just kinda like off brand gatorade IMO. I can just guarantee I'll hafta pee REEEEAAAAL bad by the time I get there,
#17 of 62 Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 PM

I won't be testing for this. My current midwife isn't concerned if I skip it.
I did with my other 2 pregnancies though. My other midwife gave me a choice to either eat a full size and snack size snicker's bar 1 hour before or 17 Brock jellybeans 1 hour before. I am not a chocolate person so I opted for the jellybeans instead, beats the heck outta the glucola (gag).
#18 of 62 Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 PM

I did the glucola the first time around and passed. Second time we would have skipped it, but my midwife found sugar in my urine so we just did the high protein breakfast and finger prick and hour later. I'm going to request the same thing this time around...we'll see if my OB will cooperate.
#19 of 62 Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM

This may be OT, but does anyone know the ingredients of glucola?

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#20 of 62 Old 09-18-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannaW View Post
...in Vegas, they gave me the drink to take home and I just have to drink it 1 hour before my appt (while I'm driving the TWO hours to my appt!) and no other food from that point...
I'm sorry for ranting but I think this is so irresponsible. They are fortunate the test didn't negatively impact you. In vulnerable people Glucola will cause rapid swings in blood sugar which can cause mental fogginess, drowsiness, fainting, and even seizures. Mental fogginess, drowsiness, fainting, and convulsions ARE NOT SAFE in someone operating a motor vehicle on the public roadways. I think any HCPs who recommend people of unknown insulin response take Glucola while operating motor vehicles deserve to be sued and to lose their licenses.

Like I mentioned in the car seat and snowsuits thread, I worked for a physical medicine and rehabilitation, a hospital department who patient base was 1/3 crash victims. I have zero tolerance for professional (especially HCPs!) recklessly endangering public safety.

BV, who's stepping off her soapbox
#21 of 62 Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryonyvaughn View Post
I'm sorry for ranting but I think this is so irresponsible. They are fortunate the test didn't negatively impact you. In vulnerable people Glucola will cause rapid swings in blood sugar which can cause mental fogginess, drowsiness, fainting, and even seizures. Mental fogginess, drowsiness, fainting, and convulsions ARE NOT SAFE in someone operating a motor vehicle on the public roadways. I think any HCPs who recommend people of unknown insulin response take Glucola while operating motor vehicles deserve to be sued and to lose their licenses.

Like I mentioned in the car seat and snowsuits thread, I worked for a physical medicine and rehabilitation, a hospital department who patient base was 1/3 crash victims. I have zero tolerance for professional (especially HCPs!) recklessly endangering public safety.

BV, who's stepping off her soapbox

i hear you! *IF* I didn't know anything, and if I were just blindly doing what some doctor told me to do, drinking a 50 gram slug of sugar would cause me to PASS OUT. This is actually HOW my diabetes got diagnosed. I was passing out in the afternoons after lunch. I really might have killled myself and/or other people n that situation, if I were driving. :

CPST
#22 of 62 Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Nope.
#23 of 62 Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafwood View Post
This may be OT, but does anyone know the ingredients of glucola?
As a matter of fact, I have the stuff right here. Here are the ingredients:
water, 50g dextrose (D-Glucose)(Source of dextrose: corn), Citric acid, natural flavoring, FD&C Yellow #6, Sodium Hexametaphoshate and 0.10% Sodium Benzoate as a preservative.

But hey, it's caffeine free and non-carbonated! :

Sheesh, I can't believe I drank this stuff the first time around! Glad that I know better this time.

My mw gave me a concoction to make at home so that we can test for GD without drinking the glucola. It is made with apricots, dates, banana and carob powder. Drink one hour before I get there. No fasting. No wild sugar surges. No headaches. Much, much, much better.

Thanks for all your resonses, ladies! Oh, and BV, I love reading your posts!

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#24 of 62 Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
g&a

My MW doesn't do the standard test. You eat a good meal and then have your blood tested a specified amount of time later (when they're taking blood for other tests anyways). I can't see the harm in that kind of test.

My question is this: what happens if you do test positive - how will this affect you? What are the protocols you will be under? what are the risks? Those are the types of things I would want to know before agreeing to any testing. (I'm thinking about the GBS test, but will start another thread on that.)

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#25 of 62 Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 PM

We wont be.. we are having a UC and UP so I dont have to decline it lol.. I did it with each of my previous pregnancies because I didnt even think about how it could be a bad idea lol. With my first 2 it was with OB's and a nasty drink that tasted like very salty gatorade lmao.. with my 3rd, the midwife had be eat a specific breakfast on the day of... this time I just wont do it.
#26 of 62 Old 09-20-2007, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g&a View Post

My question is this: what happens if you do test positive - how will this affect you? What are the protocols you will be under? what are the risks? Those are the types of things I would want to know before agreeing to any testing. (I'm thinking about the GBS test, but will start another thread on that.)

g.
I doubt that I will test positive but if I were to, I'd just change my diet and hopefully that would keep things under control. Beyond that, I guess it's just good to know.

#27 of 62 Old 09-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Nope - and this in spite of the fact that I have PCOS. My mw actually never tests for GD and the thought didn't even cross her mind in my case either. She did offer a meter if I wanted to check my own levels upon waking. 25 wks and it couldn't be the furthest thing from my mind.

Besides...I find myself more along the lines of Henci Goer when it comes to GD.
#28 of 62 Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm not sure yet. I had it done with my first pregnancy but now I'm going to a different midwife and have not discussed her method yet. I'll make my decision then. My next appt is in two weeks, we'll see what she says.
#29 of 62 Old 09-20-2007, 03:20 PM

I am, I don't know why, but I am. Well, ok, I am worried about my blood sugar, personally, otherwise I would forget about it. My mother was just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and there is diabetes in my family history. I have a bit of hypoglycemia, soooo I'm concerned. But I have resources on hand that will help should I test positive.
I did fine the last time, I didn't realize until recently just how crappy the whole process can be.
Ugh, now I'm debating it. I feel like passing out after I have coffee with sugar, how am I going to react if I take that stuff?

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#30 of 62 Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
I am, I don't know why, but I am. Well, ok, I am worried about my blood sugar, personally, otherwise I would forget about it. My mother was just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and there is diabetes in my family history. I have a bit of hypoglycemia, soooo I'm concerned. But I have resources on hand that will help should I test positive.
I did fine the last time, I didn't realize until recently just how crappy the whole process can be.
Ugh, now I'm debating it. I feel like passing out after I have coffee with sugar, how am I going to react if I take that stuff?
As you are someone with a family history of diabetes, who *has* sugar issues and reacts noticeably to the small amount of sugar in a cup of coffee, and is concerned about GC, I strongly urge you take charge of your health right now by monitoring your blood sugar with a glucometer. Regular testing will give you the information you need to develop a diet that is healthy *for you*. (The glycemic index is based on averages. Some foods [e.g. oatmeal] which beautifully stabilize the blood sugar levels of some, causes others to spike.)

Beyond that I just don't think the GTT is safe for anyone with proven sugar issues. With your hypoglycemia (which some folks consider pre-preDiabetes), your sensitivity to sweetened coffee *and* your being pregnant, I don't think any responsible HCP should ever give you a GTT.

BV, who really plans to get off her soap box soon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page