Childbirth Classes?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone signing up for childbirth classes? Or have you in the past?

I'm just trying to get general opinions of different classes--which were helpful, which were not, how many people have signed up for them, etc. And I thought it'd make a nice thread.

My midwife suggested that I sign up for a class, so I've done some research and picked BirthWorks as the class I wanna take. The only thing is, it's not offered too frequently in my area. One begins this week at the same time as my prenatal yoga class (of course) so I can't swing it! I don't know if I should drop my yoga class... I don't want to! I'm working with other instructors to get classes offered again this year.

I just wanted to know anyone's experiences/opinions on classes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 05:33 PM

My first pregnancy, I went to through Bradley. I loved it and am taking it again with this pregnancy; class is starting Wednesday, in fact.

I'm actually trying to get my stuff together enough to do the certification class, but they only do it in my area once a year, so it's kind of hard to get to. I can't make this year's cert class, because of a business trip. I'm hopeful for next year.

But, really, I love Bradley. If it's offered in your area, look into it.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#3 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 PM

See earlier thread:

I'm a Bradley girl! I'm teaching my first class now.
--LEE
#4 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
My first pregnancy, I went to through Bradley. I loved it and am taking it again with this pregnancy; class is starting Wednesday, in fact.

Shut up! I'm in NJ and my Bradley class starts this Wed at 7pm. Your not going to April's class are you?
#5 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM

I signed up for Bradley classes back in...june or july, and they were supposed to start in August but the other couples in the class dropped out (one due to miscarriage, that I'm aware of) and the instructor said she'd contact me this month to reschedule. I was WAY ahead of the game when I first signed up, so at 21 weeks I'm a little closer to normal by the time the class does start.

I'm looking forward to it so much. We're still new to the area, and I don't know ANYONE around who is natural minded, and my husband is completely new to all of this stuff so it's going to be SO good for both of us. me for the company, and both of us for the education.

Wow, now I got excited just thinking about it again! great, maybe I should give the instructor a pre-emptive call and see what's up...

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#6 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 PM

As this is my first child I am definitely signing up for a class. It will probably a standard old childbirth education class. I only have to decide if I want to go with a free class or pay almost 300$ for another class. BTW I am in NYC.
#7 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 PM

This is my first baby, but I'm starting Bradley classes on Thursday. Very excited! There is also a woman who offers Birthing From Within classes that we might take as well.

I'm probably going overboard, but I figure it can't hurt. :P

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#8 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 PM

I vote for the Bradley classes too. I have had 2 Bradley babies so far. I am certified to teach also, just can't find anyone wanting a natural birth in this area. It's amazing how many people just want drugs or elective c-sections. I can't help them there.
Have fun with your classes, mine was THE best!
#9 of 27 Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 PM

othersomethings- who is teaching your bradley class. i took classes with larissa temper when pregnant with ds. i was wondering if i should take classes again...i know she doesn't teach in the same place now though and was also wondering if there were more teachers in the area.
#10 of 27 Old 09-18-2007, 12:15 PM

I took Bradley w/ my first. While it was helpful, when I was actually in labor I found that the relaxation positions I'd practiced didn't work for me. It was absoluately excrusicating to lay down, especially on my left side. I labored the entire 14 hours standing up, Mind you, I did labor 14 hours, induced on pitocin without pain meds, so that says something! But I can also attest to the "cycle of interventions" you guys will be learning about!!

So this time I'm going to be doing the Hypnobabies Home Study (since I'm so far from civilization this time) to hopefully learn more relaxation options!! I'm not actually a big hypnosis kinda person per se, but I've known a LOT of Vegas Moms who've had really good experiences w/ this. And I understand it's more "deep relaxation" then hypnosis in the stereotypical way.
#11 of 27 Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have experience with BirthWorks classes? I heard it's like Bradley but with more emphasis on yourself rather than the coach.

I looked into Bradley and there's a class that started last Wed. I really want to do BirthWorks but there is a conflict with the schedule + I don't know if I can resolve it or not (it's the same time/day as my prenatal yoga!! ARghhh! What to do...what to do...)

But I would like to know more about Bradley. I def want a natural birth so I need a class that's fairly intense. Do you have to rely on the coach for the most part?

Basically, I need to sign up for a class SOON. I'm almost 23 wks + classes are starting/have already started so I'm a bit stressed.
#12 of 27 Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM

I feel like in my bradley class they emphasized the coach but mostly to remind partners that they need to participate in the birth and pregnancy not just stand by. it allowed dh to also feel a lot more involved in the pregnancy. having said that there were people in my class that did not have the father with them, but the did have someone they used as a coach such as their mother or close friend. i don't remember using a lot of the relaxation techniques during the birth, but that is because i just did whatever felt right. i think that bradley gave me so much information and was definately the reason i was able to have a natural birth. if i hadn't learned the things i did in bradley i would have had a hospital birth with a woman i didn't like not a birth center birth with a wonderful midwife. the exercises and practice relaxation that dh and i did as part of the bradley program through out pregnancy really helped. although i didn't use the techniques that much during birth, they helped prepare my body, and allowed for intimate time between dh and myself. (15 to 20 minute masssage a day).
#13 of 27 Old 09-18-2007, 01:53 PM

vlasta216- see bradleybirth.com

Bradley does focus on the coach more so than other methods, but it's not to the exclusion of mama. You're the one who will be doing all the work afterall! I think Bradley + deep tissue massage is a great combination. The deep tissue massage will help you learn to relax into pain/pressure rather than resist it. The coach helps you rememebr things you might otherwise forget -- like during my first labor, DH kept reminding me to breath! You'd think I would have remembered that one! During my second labor I wanted absolute silence and I didn't want to be touched, so no amount of "coaching" would have helped. But DH also understood this as well and he played a very good "errand boy," since it's all I would let him do.

Bradley teaches good nutrition and gives lots of wonderful info on interventions and what they can lead to as well as just generally being a "good consumer" of birth services. The way I like to say it is "You are paying them, so you are the boss. Not the other way around." Bradley teaches how to go about this without getting thrown out of the hospital.
#14 of 27 Old 09-18-2007, 04:01 PM

do people suggest taking childbirth classes with the second birth if they took them with the first? i mean i guess you can never have too much information. but should you take the same classes or a different type?
#15 of 27 Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 PM

kehliouise,
I'm going with Larissa as well. I found her online, but after I told some other people I was going to use her classes she came very well recommended. I've spoken on the phone with her twice, I actually called her before I ever registered for her class just to ask her questions about the local birthing atmosphere and she was SO friendly and helpful. I was having major panic attacks during that time, and talking to her was a huge relief.

You should take her class again with me!!! It's a little bit of a drive for you..it'll be at her chiro office in Niceville.

#16 of 27 Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 PM

i need to find out when the class is starting...we used to have to drive to pensacola to her classes so niceville would be a whole lot closer. dh wouldn't be able to go this time though. he is working in mississippi. i guess i could still go without him and make him study up at home.
#17 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 AM

we took calm birth with dd and found it very helpful, but expensive.

since i already have a birthing technique i'm comfortable with we took birthing from within to just get into baby mode this time. we both really loved it! i'd even do it again this time, if it were available .

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#18 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehliouise View Post
do people suggest taking childbirth classes with the second birth if they took them with the first? i mean i guess you can never have too much information. but should you take the same classes or a different type?
I guess it depends on how comfortable you were w/ your first birth. I realized going through the labor with our miscarriage that I could really use some brushing up on relaxation techniques. Plus, the positions and techniques I learned in our first childbirth class were of limited use during labor, so for me, I want to expand my "laboring vocabulary" so to speak. Does that make sense?

But there will be a lot of info I won't need per se, like the diet info and the specifics of what's happening to a body in labor, etc.
#19 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 11:28 AM

kehliouise, definitely call her then, because I think she said she was waiting to schedule the next class til she got more students. She offered to do a one on one class with us, but part of me wanting to go was being around other like-minded mamas anyway.

#20 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 PM

We signed up for a local Bradley Class. It started Monday, but we might hold off and do it the next session (October-December).
It's supposed to be 12 weeks, but out here in impatient NY they bundle it down to 7 weeks.
We missed our first class because hubb was sick and we'll be missing one in a few weeks 'cause we're going to Disney World for our "last horah" before baby...so we may just wait to start.
It's $300 and you get a ton of info...and it's 2 hours once a week.

I'm also independantly going through "Birthing From Within"...the crunchiest/most Pagan friendly birthing tools I've found. There are no classes for it out here, so I am reading it and trying to journal. I am going to start sitting with DH and disscussing it soon too.
I figure, home birth...I want as much good stuff in our heads as possible. Plus, it will help DH have a feeling of something to do. He gets antsey if he's idol and there is big stuff going on.

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#21 of 27 Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM

Demeter - I suggest you go ahead and do the Bradley class now. The instructor will most likely let you come back and sit-in on the classes you missed during her next session. Starting early and getting lots of relaxation practice can make all the difference in the world.
--LEE
#22 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm taking Bradley classes, I decided. I had my first class last week + it was great! I'm already feeling more prepared to have this baby! I just couldn't imagine going through with this pregnancy and not taking classes.
#23 of 27 Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM

My partner and I had our first Bradley class last night and it was great! Looking forward to further classes.

Bradley seems to have strong opinions about nutrition, which I was afraid wouldn't work with DH and I being vegan. Luckily, our instructor is flexible. We're recording everything we eat this week and will go over it next week.

#24 of 27 Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 AM

Re: Bradley and Nutrition

One thing I have pointed out to students is that humans are the only animals that drink the milk of other species. While it's a great source of lots of nutrients, it isn't truly necessary to the human diet -- much less the pregnant diet . . .
#25 of 27 Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewd View Post
Re: Bradley and Nutrition

One thing I have pointed out to students is that humans are the only animals that drink the milk of other species. While it's a great source of lots of nutrients, it isn't truly necessary to the human diet -- much less the pregnant diet . . .
I guess the thing that has been concerning me most has been the protein requirement. (As I'm sure you know, when we log what we eat--at least the first week--the only nutritional information we record is the protein content.)

Bradley-via-Brewer recommends over 100g of protein per day for a pregnant woman, which no other source I have found backs up. Most other reputable sources like the Harvard School of Public Health suggest about 60g, with 100g being the maximum for the American Pregnancy Association. I know ideas about protein have changed a lot over the years while the Brewer diet hasn't changed since it came into being in the 1960s, so I'm trying to take that all into account.

That said, my protein intake this week--without modifying my diet whatsoever--has ranged from 60-100g/day. Our instructor is pretty flexible and this may just be one of those aspects of the program that we agree to disagree about. I just want to make sure I'm not getting too much protein at this point! :P

#26 of 27 Old 09-25-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
I guess the thing that has been concerning me most has been the protein requirement. (As I'm sure you know, when we log what we eat--at least the first week--the only nutritional information we record is the protein content.)
I'm in the exact same situation you are, To-Fu! I've been counting protein like crazy and I generally get 70-90g/day. I just don't know if we really need this much protein... it's such a hyped nutrient. I'm worried I will pay attention to protein and forget about everything else! Dp and I are also both vegan and we had to explain to our Bradley instructor that we don't have to worker harder than everyone else to meet nutritional guidelines. Our instructor has had vegan students before, but she still thinks we are taking a more difficult approach. I mean, other students were talking about going to McDonald's for greasy burgers, while I'm eating whole-grain, veggies and soy protein foods and yet the instructor (and everyone else who knows I'm vegan) is more worried about ME! :

A vegan mom of 5 told me she didn't worry too much about her diet. As long as you eat a variety of foods you should be fine.

Veganism is such a red flag for people + I don't understand why.
#27 of 27 Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasta216 View Post
other students were talking about going to McDonald's for greasy burgers, while I'm eating whole-grain, veggies and soy protein foods and yet the instructor (and everyone else who knows I'm vegan) is more worried about ME! :
Ha! You know what's funny? After class, we stopped for some Taco Bell on the way home (we never eat fast food) and had bean burritos (no cheese, just veggies and beans) and I was feeling kind of crummy about eating junk. Then my partner said, "You know, if this is the worst thing we eat during your pregnancy, I think we'll be alright."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page