Feeling nesty... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started in on the baby's room today. The crib and changing table and glider were already set up and in there, but there was also all kinds of other stuff in there that had nothing to do with the baby (that room has been our guest room and office, and it's also been the catch-all storage place for all the miscellaneous stuff we haven't room for elsewhere, or haven't felt like dealing with).

Anyhow...got the main room itself cleared out and arranged the way I want it, and then I opened the closet door. She has a large closet, but it is chockful of stuff right now. Christmas decorations, my husband's various boxes from electronics and computer games he's bought, an old steamer-type trunk full of I'm not-sure-what-at-this-point, and the shlef above the clothing rod is so loaded down that's it's almost falling off the wall! (There's also stored baby equipment from my son in there, but that can stay, since it's stuff we'll be using with Claudia).

Emptying out that closet is going to mean that I also have to clean out MY closet, because some of that stuff is going to HAVE to be stored in our closet. But I'm seriously going to be making a huge run to Goodwill soon.

In December, when The Container Store puts their elfa shelving on sale, both the kids' closets will get new shelving and new clothing rods, which will help things tremendously.

I can't wait to get the room and closet all set up and ready to go!

Anybody else starting to feel really nesty? Wanting to hurry up and start big household projects, especially the nursery?
#2 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 PM

I was feeling nesty today, too I put up the PNP in our room a few months back to make sure there was room for it and never took it down, it's been catching all the baby stuff that I've accumulated. Today I cleaned it all out, washed the clothes (they were second-hand) and sorted them, putting the larger than 0-3 month stuff into a storage tub and the little things away! I also got some new diapers so I washed and dried those and got a basket to put the AIOs in. I got one of those changing pads at Wal-Mart last week so I put it on the dresser (still need to get some covers for it) and AIOs in a basket on the dresser, fitteds and prefolds washed and in the top drawer of the dresser. It's not perfect or even close, but it looks much better than it did! And now I know the few things I need to still pick up. My OB wants me to have things "ready" by 28 weeks so that I can do nothing but rest the remaining time so I made a list of stuff to get for my bags! I also need to pack the kids an overnight bag to keep packed incase they end up at grandmas for a few days. I guess with twins there is a greater chance of preterm labor and of having to go on bedrest. Hoping we don't have that, but I guess we need to be prepared incase it does happen! DH is going shopping w/ me tomorrow to get all the stuff we need for those and the few baby items I want to pick up (just recieving blankets and some kimono type tees). I am also planning to look at the carseats and if they have what I want I think I"ll just go ahead and get them and keep them in the basement until we need them. One more thing I can check off my list! I still need to order some stuff on-line like a diaper bag, the changing pad covers, lap pads (no they do not have these things at my local wal-mart for some crazy reason!), so I need to figure that out and go ahead and order it in the next month! I am 23 weeks, so 5 weeks until my "deadline". I am hoping to have it all done by NOv. 1st, and I also want the Christmas shopping underway this month! SO much to do, so little time!
#3 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 PM

We want to get the house remodel completed...or as much done as we possibly can but we are exhausted right now so I guess you could say we are mentally nesting.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#4 of 28 Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 PM

Um, today I washed walls.
#5 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebeeglee View Post
Um, today I washed walls.
I have never washed walls! Baseboards, yes. Walls, no. I don't have gloss paint in my rooms, so I would think that washing the walls would be BAD for the latex flat...?
#6 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 12:47 AM

I have the majority of ds's 1st year scrapbook organized, photos printed and cropped, background paper chosen....and tomorrow afternoon I have 4 hours of me time to put it all together (I've only finished up to his 5th month, so I have 8 pages to do tomorrow). So I'll be "nesty" tomorrow!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#7 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 08:09 PM

Yes, feeling very nesty. I went through the baby clothes today and picked out the girly and GN things and set those aside to be washed.
We are in the middle of moving right now and it's driving me absolutely NUTS to have everything sort of in 'limbo' .. I just want to be settled already!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#8 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 09:36 PM

YES I plan on cleaning most of tomorrow.
#9 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
Yes, feeling very nesty. I went through the baby clothes today and picked out the girly and GN things and set those aside to be washed.
My little girl only has one outfit. All the stuff from my son is very boyish.
#10 of 28 Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yep, nesty here too. We got dd#1 a 'big girl bed' (still in our room) where she starts off the night. Now she can hop down by herself and join us in the wee hours. Yay! We rolled the crib into the nursery adjoining our room, I've been sorting clothes, making plans for moving dd#1's clothes to a big girl set of drawers and preparing her white drawers for the next one. Sigh. So many changes coming up. :

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#11 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 12:14 AM

Yep I'm nesty too. I've been going through all my storage and things and throwing out stuff I haven't been able to get rid of for YEARS. Our extra room will be this baby's room and I'm dying every day because I can't decorate yet. But, we don't have the money right now and anyway, I still have a ton of stuff I've got to get out of there. A lot of it is my husband's electronics but I'm cleaning out his closet tomorrow and then I'll be stacking all of the electronics in his closet. I want that room done NOW I've been working on other rooms to prepare sticking all the stuff I can't get rid of (sewing machine, etc.) in there but tomorrow I tackle the baby room finally!

I'm really happy that I'm feeling this way, I felt horrible and gross up to about a week ago, even my good days were bad ones. But I'm taking a load of herbs and have started to feel better so am going crazy trying to repair the damage done while I couldn't get off the couch for throwing up/contracting. I'm so HAPPY!

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#12 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
\Sigh. So many changes coming up. :
Tell me about it. Who would have thought that having a baby meant that MY bedroom needed to be redecorated? Lucky for us, our master bedroom is HUGE, and so we have room for the guest bed in there. Well, THAT required us to buy a futon sofa bed thingy from IKEA for guests (and sell our old, slanty futon), sell the wingback recliners I'd had in the sitting area of my room to make room for the IKEA bed, and then I had to buy a new comforter set and sheets to match the IKEA bed (which has an eggplant purple sofa cover on it). Our closet's going to have to be completely re-organized (not that it's very organized right now; it's a total mess!). Our son's closet is going to need some work, too.

And that's to say nothing about the fact that there's going to be another little person in the house! Yesterday, DH and I were talking about how much fun our 3 year old would have had at the Plano Balloon Festival (ever see 40 or 50 hot air balloons launching at once? It was pretty cool to witness), but he's in Colorado staying with my parents and his cousin for a week. Anyhow, I mentioned that next year we'll have to be sure to take the kidS to the festival, and I got this weird little dropping feeling in my chest (like a roller coaster, kind of) when I realized that this time next year, we're going to have kids PLURAL, and not just KID.

Amazing.
#13 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 12:16 PM

I'm not sure if I'm feeling "nesty", or just finally getting motivated to clean this sty of a house. A group of my friends got together and all decided we would help motivate each other to get out of the ruts we were in, so we've been cleaning buddies. We're using FlyLady, but we changed it to suit our needs. I've been a cleaning fiend lately.

Then again, I don't really know what nesting feels like. With my daughter. I nested for all of an hour and a half before my water broke. : And then, we were in the process of getting ready to move, so my nesting consisted of packing more crap into boxes. Maybe what I'm doing right now is "normal" nesting? I'm not really sure.
#14 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 12:25 PM
g&a

Nesty! Ya! I thought I would be the only one! Isn't it too early??!?

How much have I spent on CDs in the last 3 weeks??!?

Plus I keep wanting to buy lots a stuff at the farmer's market and make stuff for the freezer! Unfortunately, the farmer's market is closing after this week and I don't have any time for nesting...

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#15 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Feeling nesty too. Finally cleared up a bit of the clutter in the living room and front hall that accumulated during the "all day sickness". I am feeling like we have so much unnecessary stuff that I would like to get rid of. Before I got pregnant (and started to feel sick) I did quite a bit of decluttering and gave a bunch of stuff away on freecycle. Now it seems just as bad as it was before. I soooo want to live more simply. Well off to play a game with dd1 while dd2 it taking a nap and then hopefully do a bit more decluttering while I am feeling ambitious.
#16 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 12:39 PM

yes, nesty in spurts. (i alternate between nesty and tired.) i went through a big cloth diaper obsession, but i'm feeling mostly set in that department. the next step was to clear out and clean our linen closet, and i made a lot of space for the diaper stuff. most of it will go on the changing table, but i'm waiting for dp to paint it and bring it in from the garage. we have a tiny house and we've decided the changing table will start out in our living room, so we don't really need/want to have it in there right now.

so the closet looks great and super organized, but the price to pay for all of that focused organizing is that dd is off in the rest of the house creating piles and piles of messes. last night i had another wind of nesting and sorted through a lot of her toys. that is an eternal project.

over the weeks i've been clearing out clothes from mine and dd's wardrobe. being pregnant makes it easier for me to let go of skinny jeans from 3 years ago - it's easier for me to realize that they just aren't going to work for a long time (if ever).

dp seems to be nesting too. he's painted the bathroom and the living room. he's been clearing stuff out and rearranging stuff too.

at this stage in my pregnancy with dd we moved into our house, so i could never tell if i was nesting or just doing what had to be done. with this one i am definitely in a major planning frame of mind. (and i want to spend money, which i didn't have the last time. what's that about?)
#17 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 12:41 PM

regarding washing the flat paint on walls... i'm sure a google search would be more helpful, but my experience is that a swipe with warm water has not harmed our flat painted walls. and sometimes i've had to use soap too, because dd has drawn on the walls, and even then it's been ok.
#18 of 28 Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 PM

What Feebee?!
You mean you haven't busted out the ole' crib yet?!

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
#19 of 28 Old 09-24-2007, 12:49 AM

gosh, I wish I was feeling this. I have so many lists written but no motivation to start anything!
#20 of 28 Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *knittingmomma* View Post
gosh, I wish I was feeling this. I have so many lists written but no motivation to start anything!
Well, I have been like that up until just a couple days ago. WANTING to get started on the huge list of projects, but just not being able to. Part of it for me was just not knowing where I should start, since it seems like completing each thing is dependent upon completing something else. But I finally just felt well enough and motivated enough to just jump in. Then I fizzled out yesterday. But at least I got the baby's room cleared and ready for painting and re-doing the closet
#21 of 28 Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *knittingmomma* View Post
Well, I have been like that up until just a couple days ago. WANTING to get started on the huge list of projects, but just not being able to. Part of it for me was just not knowing where I should start, since it seems like completing each thing is dependent upon completing something else. But I finally just felt well enough and motivated enough to just jump in. Then I fizzled out yesterday. But at least I got the baby's room cleared and ready for painting and re-doing the closet
#22 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 AM

My nesting instinct finally kicked in! I was worried that I wouldn't get to nest much, since last time my nesting period was all of two hours. But for the past few days I've been wanting to clean, clean, clean -- and it just hit me this morning that THIS is what nesting feels like! And it's not my normal "hit the high spots" cleaning. I just cleaned the upstairs bathroom, on my hands and knees scrubbing the floor, then I mopped and rinsed it, scrubbed in between ALL the tiles on the wall, scrubbed the sink and the toilet in places that you can't even reach without becoming a pretzel, the mirrors -- everything. And I feel fabulous now. You can't even tell that I did it, because that bathroom is so old and stained and everything's in such poor condition, but I know I did it, and that's what counts. I think I'll do it again tomorrow. But today, I will extend that treatment to my kitchen and the other bathroom, and as much of the rest of the house as my toddler will let me get done. Woo! :
#23 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 10:18 AM

One of my favorite things to do (non pregnant) is organize and it's started kicking back in the last month or two. We finally got a bathtub (I've never had one since we've been married 7 years)- but that was a two week project of ripping out the shower wall, putting in the tub, waiting for grout to dry, etc. My bathroom looks awesome now . . . and the rest of the house shows it.

We need to move our rooms around before baby comes. We have a small, two bedroom apartment that's attached to the house of the boys we work with. The livingroom is so small, that we've been using the "middle room" (house is rectangle shaped) as an entertainment room . . . well that needs to become our bedroom so that baby stuff can go in the back bedroom. Needless to say, I have a ton of purging/organizing to do before that can happen!

It's fun though! I love playing with all the baby stuff I've accumulated so far and can't wait until our stuff is out of there so I can organize baby gear I did get all our newborn cloth diapers washed and figured out what I'm going to do for a washing routine, so that's a start!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#24 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Eloise, we're having to rearrange the house too. I'm not looking forward to it as much as you seem to be though. We're converting the spare bedroom into the kids' room since it's larger than the one that our daughter sleeps in now, and we have to get rid of a lot of the crap that's in that room. It's a big pain in the butt, and I just really don't want to do it.

I think I overdid it today. After the bathroom I tackled the kitchen floor, scrubbing on my hands and knees, and then I mopped it twice and rinsed. About halfway through the second mopping I started to feel really terrible, but I had to finish. Now I'm all exhausted and overheated and slightly nauseated. I'm so bummed! I was on such a roll. Maybe after a rest I can do some more, I really want to clean some more.
#25 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskerri View Post
Anybody else starting to feel really nesty? Wanting to hurry up and start big household projects, especially the nursery?
isn't is fun?? this baby won't have her own room for a while, we're moving shortly after baby is born (march or june) to colorado from virginia. we won't know if baby will have her own room, ect until we get there, most likely ... so right now i'm just organizing part of our closet for her, lol.

i moved a bookcase that was in our (walk in) closet down to the garage last week to make more room for her clothes (which she has WAY too many of, lol), so now i'm just wokring on finishing up small diapers... and then we're ready! well, at 30w i'll start to get my birth stuff together ... but that's about it.

here is baby's side of the closet so far.
the whole shebang - HERE
shoes, swaddling blankets, and in the basket are socks/hats/booties - HERE
pj's/sleepers, then blankets, some mama made - HERE
clothes for next summer, then next fall - HERE
hanging outfits - HERE
clothe diapers (i have 5 more covers on the way, plus i'm ordering 4 bummis super brites when they come out, lol) - HERE

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#26 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Nesty, yes. Motivated, no. I've spend the past 5 hours just trying to find a comfortable way to sit, forget actually getting up and moving around
Ok, I DID do some housework, well, tidying. I have a huge list of things I want done before the baby is born, including washing walls, but I haven't been able to get my equally unmotivated DH to help me
I been more in a "baking/slow-cooking/cooking" mode actually

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#27 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well, all my nesting is pretty much put on hold while I recover from abdominal surgery. We got the baby's closet all cleaned out and got her room arranged while my son was in Colorado, the week before my surgery. We moved some stuff out of that closet and put it in our bedroom, in anticipation of cleaning out OUR closet, and merging all that stuff together into OUR closet. And that's where we hit the wall. Luckily, my bedroom is very big, or it would be driving me CRAZY to have that stuff sitting there, waiting to be put in the closet. It's going to be at least another week and a half or so before I feel well enough to work in there. I'm out of work for at least a couple more weeks (dr. originally told me 6 weeks, but I think I will go back part-time at 4 or 5 weeks, to save my vacation and sick leave).

I can't wait to get back to decorating the nursery and getting everything in place. But with a 5" vertical gash running from my public bone to an inch below my belly button, I'm stuck on the couch. Sigh. I even have all the diapers I need to start off with, so there's not much to shop for online!
#28 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 06:44 PM

to you Misskerri. That sounds very frustrating.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page