Mothering Forum banner

Birth Plans: Do/will you have one?

996 views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  HardCoreMom 
#1 ·
I've heard a lot of conflicting info on Birth Plans (Birthing From Within recommends against it, Bradley's for it, etc.), but we think we will probably create one anyway.

I'm wondering if anyone else intends to create a birth plan and at what point in the pregnancy you will do it (or already did it). And, if you're feeling generous and have already prepared a plan, maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some/all of it?

#4 ·
I am having a home birth this time but I have had a birth plan with the last two babes. My first vbac was in a hospital and I definately needed my wishes written down or we would have been bullied even worse and my second was at a birth center that already practiced what I wanted anyways but I had a plan in case of transfer.

I will use my same plan in case of transfer. I would share it but I dont have it on my computer right now. It mainly says things like having extra warm blankets in the OR so baby can stay with us even if a section is needed and of course if baby is well and it also says things like practicing kangaroo care if baby is ill and being offered a breast pump within a certain amount of time and contacting the LC.

I also have in there that the baby will be brouhgt to me to eat every 2 hours but preferably upon demand even if I have had a section and everyone thinks I will need to rest. I will rest better knowing my babies needs are met and I would prefer rooming in if baby is well. Ect. Ect. Ect!!!
Angela

I also wanted to add that we will take signs that I have made that have in big letters "Exclusively breastfed, no pacifiers of bottles" and No Shots!. I am also putting my other refusals like hep b and vit k in the plan as well.

#5 ·
i did one for my first (a hospital birth). not for the second (homebirth). my midwife said i could, but felt that we'd know eachother well enough that i wouldn't need one (she was right). now that said midwife isn't practicing anymore, her "replacement" suggests one if you want it, and i may just do it this time. i just don't feel like i "know" this midwife. :/

eta: this is the site my mw recommends for birthplans.
http://www.birthplan.com/

#7 ·
I didn't do one w/ my other girls, just insisted on a few things w/ my OB before-hand. I felt that my needs were listened to and no need for a birth plan. This time around I just don't know how it will all turn out since it's twins and not just one. I have thought of putting in little signs that say no vax/no circ just to make sure they don't get HepB. I hate to put in a birth plan no bottles when something could go wrong and the babies need bottles, KWIM? My hospital has been really BF friendly and pretty much encourages rooming in. Both my girls have roomed w/ me and it's assumed your baby WILL room in w/ you. Last time I remember I wanted a sitz bath and needed to put the baby in the nursery, but I had to wait for like an hour b/c there were not nurses staffed in there, they were all busy! It's a really small hospital and that didn't bother me at all, I thought it was kinda funny. They did have nurses to help in emergency, but nursery care isn't considered emergency or necessary. I have also been invited back for all the testing anytime they do anything w/ baby. THey always tell me what they are doing and let me hold baby for the heel-stick test, ect. This time around I just don't really know what to expect, so I will play it by ear and hope that my OB knows me enough to keep my opinions in mind. We have talked in detail about a natural birth, turing baby #2 if necessary, and how the hopsital normally does twin births. So far I know that I will have to deliver in the OR, but that I can be in any position I want, it's jsut a precautionary measure incase baby #2 gets in distress and needs a c-sec. They prefer me getting an epidural line inserted incase I do need a c-sec, but it's not necessary if I truely do not want it (still debating on this and weighing my options) and sometimes moms come in too far gone to even get one. In the OR/DelR there will be a nurse for me, one for baby A and one for baby B and possibly one extra set of hands just incase. If possible an anest. will be there incase of emergency c-sec, and maybe even a pediatrician depending on how early the babies are. It sounds like a zoo IMO, but I'm not sure how to work a birthplan w/ all of that going on, KWIM? I will let it be known ahead of time that my babies aren't to get any formula, I want to BF immediately, and no vaxes!

#8 ·
Free Thinker -
I don't have it, but there's a great Bradley natural twin birth video. We viewed it at the training. Maybe someone on the childbirth professionals board could loan it to you?
She pushes out the first baby, and the baby nurses for a while. Then she starts feeling pushing contractions for #2, so they take #1 to the side while she pushes out #2.
It's really cool!

#10 ·
My Bradley instructor informed us we will be making birth plans in class, but I don't think I want or need one. There are three other couples in the class who are having hospital births so I think they need one, but I don't see the point in one for a homebirth with a lay midwife.

Do you all think I need one? I really don't want to plan for transfer, just don't want to even go there.

#11 ·
I don't think it's a bad idea to have the super important stuff covered in a birth plan if you are having a homebirth. I hadn't really thought much about a birth plan because I'm also planning a homebirth....I know at some point (36 week appointment maybe?) my midwives and I come up with an emergency plan and they keep a copy. Perhaps that's all you would need? In any case, I plan to go through a birth plan form with DH so HE knows my (our) wishes, in case i'm not communicative.

#13 ·
Quote:
In any case, I plan to go through a birth plan form with DH so HE knows my (our) wishes, in case i'm not communicative.
My loving husband's brain
: is useless during labor. Even HE needs a birthplan in order to remember what I/we want and don't want . . .

He's great at helping me remember to breathe and such, but if a DR/MW started doing anything "medical," he would go blank without a guide.

#14 ·
I don't give my midwife or the hospital staff enough time to read a birth plan even if I wrote one. I birth fast, really fast. I walk in, squat and deliver and they better hope they have a bed ready for me since my body isn't waiting around.

My dh and I have been through this a few times and have always birthed in wonderful hospitals with very supportive staff (no lay midwives within a 2 hour drive).

For the first though, we did make our wishes very clear to the nurse on call. Our midwife knew our wishes from 9 months of appointments, but the nurse needed a little reminder that not every woman "has" to have an epidural. She was awesome after she figured out that I was going to do it au natural. In fact, she was an incredible labor support person and comented on how nice it was to see a good, old-fashioned birth.

What was the question? Good grief, pregnancy is making me muddy in the brain. Right -- birth plans. I have not written them, but I have talked to dh extensively and my midwife before labor. My wishes have always been respected.

#15 ·
Yup. Had one with my last babies, and it worked wonderfully. They were short & sweet, to the point. Basically, it gave the teams a "heads up" that all they needed to do was fetch me coffee and leave me alone. LOL!

#16 ·
Here's mine so far - I'm still tweaking (sorry so long!). I've stolen liberally from other people's birth plans on MDC. The names in mine have been changed to protect the innocent.

These preferences assume a normal pregnancy and labor, and a healthy mom and baby. We fully understand that should any emergencies arise, these preferences will have to be altered.

General
• We are seeking a calm, natural, gentle birth with no stress, no medications, and no interventions. We are willing to take the time necessary.
• My support people, DH (Husband) and Doula (Doula), will be with me at all times.
• I would like time to discuss any interventions (monitors, labor augmentation, medications, etc.) with my husband and doula privately.
• We will control the lights and music in our room.
• We will be bringing our own TV and DVD player, and will control these as well.

The Labor
• I would like to be totally mobile during labor, free to walk or change positions at will.
• Unless medically necessary, I do not want an IV or hep-lock.
• I would like to be able to shower or soak in the Birthing Tub to aid relaxation.
• I would like to be able to have food and drink by mouth throughout labor.
• I would like to be reminded to stay hydrated by mouth.
• I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.

Monitoring
• We expect intermediate monitoring of the baby's heart, however we wish to avoid continuous monitoring.
• I will not have any internal monitors (baby or contractions) unless the baby has shown some definite, repeated, or unchanging signs of distress.

Labor Augmentation/Induction
• I do not wish to augment labor and delivery or alter the natural process in any way. I prefer to employ natural methods of encouraging labor first.
• I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially.
• I refuse Cytotec, which has not been approved by the FDA for use on pregnant woman, nor for labor induction, and has been proven dangerous.
• I would like to give labor a good opportunity to re-start naturally, if stalled, before Pit is administered.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication
• I am planning to use no drugs for pain relief, and would appreciate your encouragement to use other methods.
• I prefer not to have any pharmaceutical pain management suggested.
• If I do opt for pain medication, I prefer to utilize a short acting pharmaceutical such as Fentanyl first to try to regain natural management.
• I prefer to try a slightly longer acting narcotic pain relief (Nubain, Sublimaze, Stadol or similar) next.
• I prefer to try Demerol as a final pharmaceutical option.
• I will keep the option of an epidural as my last resort.

Cesarean
• Unless absolutely necessary I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
• I would like to attempt forceps or vacuum before a surgical birth.
• I would like the incision closed in such a way to promote a VBAC.
• I would like to hold the baby on my chest immediately after the delivery while I am closed; if not possible the baby should be given to DH - not placed on a warming table, in the nursery, or given to a nurse.

The Birth
• I would like to give birth in an upright, kneeling, supported squatting or all-fours position to give the baby maximum space to descend through my pelvis. I do not want to be on my back or semi-reclining unless that position seems right to me on the day.
• I would like to avoid perineal damage and would appreciate your guidance in giving birth gently to accomplish this. However, I would rather tear naturally than have an episiotomy.
• I would like to be offered the opportunity to feel the head as it crowns.
• My husband DH would like to do a four-handed catch with the attending midwife.
• When my baby is born, I would like him placed on my belly/chest.

Immediately Following Delivery
• The cord should be allowed to pulse until it naturally stops before being clamped and cut.
• DH would like to cut the cord himself.
• I wish no drugs to be used unless specifically indicated.
• I will hold the baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made. If this is not possible, DH or Doula will hold the baby.
• Please do not pull on the cord or use fundal pressure unless there is a specific indication to do so.
• All evaluations of the baby are to be done on my abdomen (or beside me on the bed), not the warming table.
• DH will take the baby to be weighed and return him to me.

Postpartum
• I will shower ASAP and change clothing, while DH holds the baby.
• We would like all medical equipment put away or removed ASAP and the bed remade.
• Unless required for the health of the baby, he is not to be removed from my presence for any reason.
• The baby will stay in my room, and all tests and exams will be done there. If he must be removed from my presence for the hearing and PKU test, DH will remain in physical contact with the infant at all times.
• If the baby must be removed from my presence for any other medical reason, DH or another adult designated by us will be with the baby at all times.

Care of the baby
• I will exclusively breastfeed our baby and will begin immediately after birth.
• If our baby is unable to nurse he should receive only mother's milk (or medication) via a nasogastric tube. He should not be offered a bottle.
• We refuse the eye ointment.
• The baby will not be circumcised.
• The baby is to receive no medication or tests without prior consent of the parents.
• We do not want the baby admitted to a special nursery merely for observation.

#18 ·
Yes, I have a written birth plan. My Dr. and I seem to agree on most issues so its mostly for those unexpected events and for the RNs who I will probably be meeting for the first time in the delivery room.

Question, When are you going to formally review your birth plan with your Dr or Midwife? It seems too early to be thinking about this, but then my dr. threw me for a loop today when he asked if I had picked a Ped. yet so maybe its about that time?!

#19 ·
I need to have dr. or mw before I can do that

Once we have that figured out, it'll be asap. I want no surprises. And I sure as hell don't want to be fighting when I'm trying to give birth. If I have ANY problems with anyone agreeing, I'm going home. Screw it, I'll have a UC before I have to kick someone to get them to leave me alone.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
I need to have dr. or mw before I can do that

Once we have that figured out, it'll be asap. I want no surprises. And I sure as hell don't want to be fighting when I'm trying to give birth. If I have ANY problems with anyone agreeing, I'm going home. Screw it, I'll have a UC before I have to kick someone to get them to leave me alone.
I feel you!
We made a birth plan with our first, and went over it with the doctor. But we didn't give her a copy and didn't bring one with us. We didn't want to be insulting. My how things have changed.

We weren't going to make one since we had planned a homebirth and we were confident in our MWs. Since we have to have a hospital birth now, I'm definately going to make one. And everyone is going to get a copy. And we'll carry extras. I feel very leary of hospitals (even though we'll hopefully be going to the in-hospital natural birthing center) and I'm worried that our wishes won't be respected.

I've been working on the important issues so I can discuss them at our first prenatal with the hospital midwife. I'd like it to be finished by no later than December.

#21 ·
With my first I was in a hospital, but under the care of midwives, and I didn't bother with a birth plan. This time I'm with a practice of ob/gyns. When I went on the hospital tour (different hospital than last time, though I never did a tour last time), I asked the nurse about things like drinking during labor, and not bathing the baby, and she told me everything would happen according to the books unless the doctor's orders said otherwise. So today I was talking to my doctor about what I wanted and asked him to write things down. He was very good about listening to me and taking notes, but, and I was kind of surprised, he emphasized at the end that he did have everything down in his records, but that it would be much better if I also had a print-out of what was important to me to give the nurses in the hospital because that way I could be sure everyone was on board.

I didn't expect an ob/gyn to endorse a birth plan! I plan to bring a draft to a future visit to go over with the doctor for recommendations, but I was really glad he was comfortable enough to tell me to do it and won't view it as distrust.

#22 ·
Hi To-Fu,

I wanted to tell you that I think BFW suggests against it because although we all have wishes and hopes for the way we'd like things to go, the point is to look at it as certain guidelines, but also being open to what the universe may bring into play.

I am certifying currently to become a mentor and from how I see it, not only as a woman about to give birth, but also a doula/mentor is that I of course want to birth my child vaginally, without the use of drugs, I want my baby on my chest right away, I have also been toying with the idea of catching my own baby if I still feel that way during the birth..........I have all of these things I would like, but if something happens and I am in heavy labor for days stuck, or just exhausted then the next best thing for myself and my child might be to transfer to the hospital from my planned birth center birth...and see about getting some relief so that I might sleep.

Certainly this is not what I want now, and not in my plan....but I can understand and cope with things that may be out of my control and look at the next best thing for me.

I don't think it is a matter of choosing to write one or not. I plan to write one, just to get all of my thoughts together (as I forget things often these days), but for me I am not going to look at everything as written in stone.

Things like...I do not want my child given eye ointment is pretty much written in stone...

I hope you get what I mean. I think you should look at different methods, and ideas and take from it what feels right for you and your family. If you want to write a birth plan, write one.... The point is though if something doesn't go according to your plan (as it often can) not to look back and feel dissappointed or as though you didn't do enough or something of the like...

Just as you must open during labor and birth...you must be open to the possibilities of how things may play out.

Be well.

#23 ·
A friend I spoke to said her birth coach told her NOT to verbalize any plans about her labor. ?!?!? The coach said, "you will probably want the epidural, so don't refuse now." Um... something like not wanting an epidural is hopefully an educated decision that you made and you don't plan on changing your mind except in extreme circumstances. To make a birth plan is in my opinion a wonderful idea, both for your care providers at the birth, and it's also nice for you to envision your labor. Even if I'm not showing it to anyone, I enjoyed writing up a birth plan; it makes me feel more prepared for the birth!

#24 ·
Since we're birthing with a midwife, I don't think I'll write one this time around. We'll certainly have conversations about how we'd like things to go, though. If we had an ob I certainly would have specific wishes clearly written down.

g.

#25 ·
I've not ever done one before because I always heard that you are treated worse when you walk in with one. But this time I am in a different state, different hospital etc and I think my midwives request one. If I do one I will certainly share.

#26 ·
I know what they're saying in BFW about not having a set plan, but as long as you're open to the possibility of things not working 100% according to plan, I don't see what's wrong in creating one. My midwife is in a hospital but she's of the philosophy of "do whatever you want" as long as I have no complications. I will also have a doula so I can probably just vocalize what I want. Even so, I think it would be fun to write my goals. If things don't go as I planned, then I know it's b/c of a natural complication, not b/c of a person pushing me into a situation I wouldn't want/need. I think it's best to think of it as Birth Preferences rather than a Birth Plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.