Who's birthing where and with whom? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what everyone is planing for the Big Day. Where are you birthing and who will be there?

I just switched to a home birth at 28 weeks (yessss!), so we'll be at home with our midwife and her assistant, plus our awesome doula. My partner is the only "non-professional" who will be there.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#2 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 03:06 AM

Yup, at home with midwife, apprentice and DH.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#3 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 AM

I will be at home with my husband and midwife.......possibly a friend but I'm not decided yet. With my last two births I had friends with me and it was wonderful.
#4 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 AM

At the hospital, last moment : with Dh and no one else except maybe the doctor who will only be there for the last part.Thats the dream anyway

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#5 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 03:34 AM

At home, with midwive, her assistant, doula, dh, and dd. I'm getting so excited!
#6 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 04:21 AM

At home with DH. I play the kids by ear each time.
#7 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 04:41 AM

At the hospital birthing center, with dh, dd, our doula, my mother and the midwife. My mother will be supporting dd, and there is a possibility SIL will also fly in to support/attend to dd. The doula is also not 100% yet...I am working on meeting with her and finalizing plans...

I am very excited to have my dd there

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#8 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 07:08 AM

at the hospital with a midwife and dp. dd would like to be there when the baby comes out, and mil will be supporting dd, so it's possible they'll be there at the end.

last time i birthed at the hospital, the midwife and hospital staff left me alone most of the time, but when it was time to deliver i think several staff suddenly appeared. i was pretty distracted, so i don't really know who all was there (midwife, apprentice, and a few nurses, i think, plus dp and a doula who'd been with me the whole time). i'll have to ask dp, and the midwife at my next appt.
#9 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 09:51 AM

At a hospital with a midwife and my DH, then my children and mother towards the end.

We have no birthing centers anywhere close to the city I live in (the closest one is like a 5/6 hour drive). I live in a 100 year old house divided into apartments with little soundproofing and another house about five feet outside of my windows. If I tried to have a home birth I'd be terrified of being heard and disturbing my neighbors. Would not be conducive to a relaxing comfortable birth. I also really want a waterbirth so we're going to the only hospital in the city who does them with a midwife group who has a good reputation. Having had two natural intervention free (apart from AROM which I didn't realize was a big deal) hospital births already I feel pretty secure that I can manage a third. Can you tell I feel a little defensive?
#10 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 AM

At home, with DH Midwife and doula we will see how things go with the kids ....

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#11 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 12:04 PM

At home with DH, possibly my mum and DS. Midwife will be called after (for paperwork).

Mama with babyboy.gif (2005), babyboy.gif (2008) & babygirl.gif (2010)

#12 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM

We will be birthing at the local hospital (very samll, 3 miles away). I am seeing 2 MWs so one of them will be there. Dh and my Mom (if she can make it in time) will also be there. That's the plan anyway!

My plan is to stay at home for as long as possible and my MW agrees. The practice is only 2 miles away and she said that she prefers to meet her moms there first to check out progress before heading across the street to the hospital. I figure with such short distances I can manage to avoid the hospital until push time, or at least that's my hope.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#13 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 PM

I'll be birthing in a hospital with DP, my mom, one of my sisters for sure (I hope my other sister can make it too), and possibly my MIL. It'll be pretty crowded in there!:
#14 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

I'll be birthing at home with DH, midwife, my sister (as long as baby comes from 1 week before to 1.5 weeks after due date). The kids we will play by ear so they may be there along with friends as needed.
Katie
#15 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 01:20 PM

At home with my dp (hopefully he will make it) my midwife, her assistant and my boys. I am looking for someone to call to take care of the kiddos while I labor and birth but I havent found anyone yet.
Angela
#16 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 PM

At home, with dh, mw, and her assistant and my SIL, just like last time.

SIL will take pictures, provide support for dd, as necessary. If dd wants to leave, she can go to my parents' who live five miles away.

My best friend is flying up from FL right before my due date. She wants to be my post partum doula : (I'm still hoping that she'll be there for the birth, though )

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#17 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 01:31 PM

I will be having babe at the birthcenter @ my midwives clinic, with mw, my mom if she can fly up at the right time, my doula, and possibly another doula friend.

I have invited a few good friends, and the dad will be there...but I have asked that he not be in the room until we can see the head/crowning, because he and I have broken up and I have this feeling he would annoy me if there in the room while I labored. As for the friends, there is a nice waiting room in the birth center for anyone I choose to kick out, or for friends I would rather see after babe is air-side.

Some of the friends may do photography, and videotaping. Not quite sure yet.

Cortney Mama to Lyra 1-20-08 and future midwife through Birthingway College of Midwifery
#18 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 PM

At my midwife's birth center, with her, her midwife-in-training, DH and my mom (who I asked to be my doula - although she's not officially one, she's played one at a dozen other births.) That's all I've got planned so far.

I REALLY want to invite my friend Lori to be there too, because she has such a terrible and unnatural view of birth, and I feel she deserves to see what birth is SUPPOSED to look like (even if just to shut her up about how I'll be screaming for drugs by hour two.) - but she's also a high maintenance personality and might stress me out by her presence. So I probably won't invite her.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#19 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post
Can you tell I feel a little defensive?
Yes! As I was reading your post, I kept thinking, "I'm so sorry she feels like she has to defend her choice..." Then I read that you do feel defensive. I hope you feel like you can get all the support you need here.

As for me, I"ll be at home with DH, hopefully both midwives (but at least one, haha!), and the apprentice. I'm imagining a very peaceful, intimate occasion with the midwives out of the room or out of the way in general unless I need them. Oh, and there will be a big birth tub so hopefully I can have a waterbirth.
#20 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Mine sounds the worst so far Please keep in mind that there is only ONE midwife that I know of and she will not do twins, and I am one hour from our community hospital, and 3 hours from an NICU should we need it.

I am birthing in our community hospital (one hour from my home). Last time I had a completely drug free birth and they left us completely alone until we asked for them to either check me, help w/ breathing, ect. This time I don't think I will get that lucky, but I can hope! I plan to do the laboring w/ just DH there, and if I need a nurse to help me breathe at the end I'll call her in (that's what we did last time). This time I will not be delivering in the delivery rooms, but the OR incase something happens. I am pretty srue I am going to agree to put in an epidural line (no meds, just the line incase of emergency) b/c I cannot imagine having to be knocked out if something happens to the second baby and they have to do an emergency C (not likely, but more of a possibility w/ twins). I have went round and round w/ this decision and frankly it's a hard one to make, I feel any option has advantages and disadvantages. The last 'double whammy' (vag. followed by c-sec) my Dr. attended he felt could have probably been prevented if the mom had an epidural b/c they could have reached in and got baby out quicker than a C, but the mom came in complete and there was no time and baby #2 was in distress. My OB IS fine w/ my deliverying baby B in any way he presents (breech, ect.) and said it may also be easier to just reach in and pull baby out by his feet if he is in distress after baby A comes out. I hurt just thinking of it! We are HOPING this does not happen and both babies come out just fine. As for who all will be in the room, alot of that is hospital policy, and since we will be in the OR it will be crowded. This is who all is supposed to be there: DH as my support, a nurse for me, an anesth. incase of emergency, OB, one nurse for each baby, possibly more if babies are early or the need of a few extra sets of hands w/ the babies. If babies are really early possibly a ped. It sounds like a zoo to me, and I am TRYING to get it all straightened out in my mind so that I can mentally prepare.

Believe it or not I actually have a really good OB who's not into a ton of interventions. He won't even induce me until 39 weeks (unless some other medical problem presents), and is fine w/ me going the full 40 weeks!
#21 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 03:53 PM

FT,
your OB does sound reasonable. If I were in your shoes, I don't know how I would make those decisions...I was an absolute mess in the first tri just figuring out the basic things.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#22 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyisrrs View Post
Yes! As I was reading your post, I kept thinking, "I'm so sorry she feels like she has to defend her choice..." Then I read that you do feel defensive. I hope you feel like you can get all the support you need here.
No not here! I had this really horrible experience earlier on in my pregnancy with a Live Journal community that claimed to be supportive of all natural birth including hospital ones. Someone posted this series of articles that basically insinuated that if you chose to birth in a hospital you deserved anything that happened to you and was absolutely terrifying. It claimed it was impossible to have a natural birth in a hospital setting. So I posted and said that I'd had two and my mom had had three natural hospital births and I was viciously attacked including one woman who didn't know anything about me saying, "Just because you push a baby out of your vajayjay does not make it a natural birth."

I was so glad that I hadn't stumbled on that group of people when I was pregnant with my first or I would have given up on the idea of natural birth completely. There seems to be an element of the natural birth community who is incredibly militant about their way of birthing being the only right way and if you're not squatting in the woods under a full moon alone you might as well have a c-section (slight exaggeration ) whereas I feel like all women who are striving to have drug free, minimal intervention births ought to be supported regardless of where or with who they chose to birth. A woman should never be told that she deserves to get cut up simply because she choses a hospital. Argh.

So yeah, I'm defensive and emotional about it. heh I've learned to avoid involving myself in those arguments and communities now because you just can't change some people's minds and the anonymity of the internet emboldens people to act like complete arses sometimes.

/end hijack
#23 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 PM

At home with my midwife, her assistant and my dh. Still contemplating the idea of where ds will be. In my ideal babe comes in the middle of the night and ds sleeps through it until the end.
#24 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM

well so far the plan is to birth at a birth center with a midwife (same place we had ds and same midwife) with a student midwife/assistant, my sister, nephew, mother, father, mother-in-law, three close friends, possibly sister-in-law, and dh and ds....i guess it is basically just a party....these are all the people that were there the first time...i wanted them all to be there them..but i am feeling a little more private this time so i may change my mind...i would feel bad though because they all think they are coming again. i definately could live without my mother-in-law there...ofcourse i thought that last time too and she came in very handy during the birth then i went back to hating her the minute after the baby was born. hahaha
#25 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 07:46 PM

I am giving birth in a Navy hospital with whatever dr. is on duty that night. (Sucks.) I plan on a complete natural delivery. My husband is not one to take any classes with me so I have read books and researched online and made my own notebook for him. I feel I am in this on my own. He thinks that because our last two were epi's that I can't handle the pain and will ask for another epi this time too. So lack of support there. But I'm determined not to let that stand in the way. I'll do this on my own if I have to. I already know I am going to have to fight the hospital on their procedures anyways. I don't want to be hooked up to the EFM, have IV's for "just in case", or be checked every 3 hours. I want to do it on my own. I am staying home as long as possible so I can avoid them as long as possible.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#26 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmommie View Post
I am giving birth in a Navy hospital with whatever dr. is on duty that night. (Sucks.) I plan on a complete natural delivery. My husband is not one to take any classes with me so I have read books and researched online and made my own notebook for him. I feel I am in this on my own. He thinks that because our last two were epi's that I can't handle the pain and will ask for another epi this time too. So lack of support there. But I'm determined not to let that stand in the way. I'll do this on my own if I have to. I already know I am going to have to fight the hospital on their procedures anyways. I don't want to be hooked up to the EFM, have IV's for "just in case", or be checked every 3 hours. I want to do it on my own. I am staying home as long as possible so I can avoid them as long as possible.
sorry you don't have support...it is inspiring to hear how determined you are though...that is really important.
#27 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
In my ideal babe comes in the middle of the night and ds sleeps through it until the end.
I am kind of hoping for this too!

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#28 of 67 Old 11-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Im birthing at home with just dh and myself.. others will be home but its a big enough home that I dont have to see or hear them lol. (we live with my parents, grandma, and my other children will be home but all will be downstairs except us)
#29 of 67 Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 AM

At a free-standing birth center with one of our great midwives. DH will be there (how much help he'll be is left unknown at this point, HA). My mom will be in town but feels like it is a private experience between husband and wife (love her!!!!), so we'll either call her right after baby is born to come over or just wait until we head home, depending on time of day baby is born. About the time baby is born a birth assistant will also be there.

I'm SO excited that I can do this in peace and private!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#30 of 67 Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 PM

At home and everyone staying home healthfully, hopefully! My husband, children, midwife and crew. Possibly a very close friend for support for my children.

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page