My freezer stash expandeth... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 11-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
Does anyone know about freezing pizza dough? I mean in balls, not in rolled-out sheets. I see it in the freezer case at the NFS, but am not sure if there are any tricks to it.

I dunno what your recipe calls for, but I just do the initial 10 minute resting period and then wrap in plastic wrap and put it in a ziplock for the freezer. When I want to use it I take it out and thaw over night in the fridge and then let it rise on the counter once, roll it out and let it rest for another 15 minutes or so on the baking sheet.

Hope that helps.

Zenma... we are really trying to stay away from using the microwave so typically we defrost in the fridge and then pop things in the oven or on the stove top. However, I have been known to use the microwave to defrost on occasion when I wasnt good at remembering to take something out.
#32 of 33 Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 PM
g&a

Well, I THOUGHT I was doing good with 6 double meals in the freezer, but holy cow

I've got big plans to make more, as I'm off work after tomorrow. I'm searching around for good ideas and recipies. Anyone want to share their enchilada recipe??? I've never made them before.

So far I have:

2 shepherd's pie
4 chicken pot pie (no crust - mashed potatoes and yams on top)
1 Lasagna

They're in containers that will do us for 2 meals, so it's like 12 meals total.

I cheat and buy the tinfoil pans. It's just easier that way, and that's kinda the point. I do reuse the pans, if that counts for something.

I can't eat wheat so that makes it a little trickier. no pasta. I can't find a rice pasta that freezes well.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#33 of 33 Old 12-15-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
On my list still is:

pressure can a big batch of split pea-ham soup
pressure can a big batch of chili
pressure can some beef stroganoff (before the sour cream is added)
freeze some lasagnas
freeze some enchiladas
freeze some meatballs
freeze some peanut butter chicken
Well, that's what was on my list a few weeks ago. Today I got 12 quarts of bean-ham soup put up in the pressure canner (instead of split pea), and tomorrow I'm tackling the chili. I might try to get the meatballs done this weekend as well. I'll be out of jars after the chili, so I'm not sure whether I'll get to the stroganoff or not. I think I'd rather put my time into lasagna, anyway, as I'm a total hound for the protein. Hopefully by the end of the weekend this list will be nearly cut in half!

I also had a silly revelation at my parents' house last week---they had a little container of cubed ham and a container of shredded cheddar in the fridge, left-over from omlettes one morning. I LOVE making omlettes, but hate chopping things. I just froze some portions of cubed ham, and will freeze some shredded cheddar tomorrow. That way I can just prepare a high-protein breakfast without worrying about getting all of the parts ready. Wa-hoo! Like I said, silly, but I think it will make me really happy.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page