How do I open up my pelvis? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a bit of a brainwave today...you see, I did deliver my 2 kids vaginally, but they both had to be induced for being late. I was wondering today if I didn't go into labour myself because neither of them dropped - I read about the "bowling ball between the legs" feeling and I didn't have that with either of my kids. So if I can "open up" my pelvic area so baby can drop down, I have a better chance to going into labour myself and avoiding induction, right?

Does anyone know how I might go about doing this?

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#2 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 03:41 AM

squatting, as much as possible

tailor pose is helpful as well

working with an osteopath who is trained in prenatal care is EXTREMELY helpful in opening the pelvis

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#3 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 04:50 AM

Squatting!

Do you know if the reason for needing the induction is because your pelvis is too small, or if it's because the babies just weren't descending?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#4 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yep, squat as long and as often as you can. Breath deeply and hold onto a chair or railing as you squat low and wide.

I also like to do this on my hands and knees. I'll start doing some pelvic tilts and then drop to my forearms and let my knees spread wide as my hips stretch. Though I have to do this alone or my dh takes it as a signal that I am ready for a little nooky.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#5 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
I also like to do this on my hands and knees. I'll start doing some pelvic tilts and then drop to my forearms and let my knees spread wide as my hips stretch. Though I have to do this alone or my dh takes it as a signal that I am ready for a little nooky.

Hahaha, my DH does too.
#6 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 AM

Some babies just don't drop until labor starts, and when babies do drop sooner, it doesn't always mean labor is soon to follow. It's very common with second or later children for them not to drop until right before or even during labor. You could do all of the recommended advice because it's a good idea for preparing your body for birth, but it won't necessarily make your baby drop and then labor start. And to that advice I would add seeing a chiropractor.

Can I ask how far along you were with your other pregnancies when you were induced? Is it possible that you gestate babies longer then some?

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#7 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove View Post
Some babies just don't drop until labor starts, and when babies do drop sooner, it doesn't always mean labor is soon to follow. It's very common with second or later children for them not to drop until right before or even during labor. You could do all of the recommended advice because it's a good idea for preparing your body for birth, but it won't necessarily make your baby drop and then labor start. And to that advice I would add seeing a chiropractor.

Can I ask how far along you were with your other pregnancies when you were induced? Is it possible that you gestate babies longer then some?

:
#8 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM

The other ladies said it great. The only thing I can add is visualization. Start thinking of a flower opening, like your pelvis widening. Something along those lines every night. HTH!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#9 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM

I have to second, third and fourth the chiro thing.......I honestly believe DD would not have come out had I not gotten some treatmens....it was a completely night/day experience as to how flexible/open stretchy my pelvis became after just a couple treatments. Apparently, the "relaxin" hormone wasn't doing it's job, lol, because my chiro said that were it not for the ..ahem..obvious pregnancy (I was like 34 weeks when I started treatment) he would NEVER have guessed I could be pregnant, my whole body was just so TIGHT, all the joints, ligaments, muscles, etc.

Although I will warn you, going from not having loosey-goosey joints to suddenly having them HURTS.....as does having a bowling ball dropped into your pelvis....but in the end, it helps!!!

CPST
#10 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM

My Kidlets - I'm in the very same boat as you!! I never felt any bowling ball w/ either of my two. As a matter of fact, DS was still at -1 station after 14 hrs of induced labor even after ROM. I know before the induction he had dropped but was still "floaty" according to the OB.

I'm trying to do lots and lots of "Ball time" and more squatting and by now I've come to the conclusion that I'm a long gestater

I'd love to hear if you find anything that works for you!!
#11 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Though I have to do this alone or my dh takes it as a signal that I am ready for a little nooky.
: I know JUST what you mean!!
#12 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 PM

Get a birthing ball and sit on it whenever you can. It also helps after the baby has dropped. I cannot imagine the last few weeks w/o a birthing ball! It really takes the pressure off your back IME, adn it also gets you into a good squatting position, perfect for baby to 'drop' into!
#13 of 14 Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm, maybe I can borrow my friend's birthing ball - I know I've been doing too much lounging at the computer - bad for baby being posterior!

I am a long gestater - the second induction (with ds) only happened because my waters broke spontaneously at 41w3d, otherwise I would have been fine to wait. But it can't be because I have narrow hips....because they aren't.

I think the relaxin is kicking in fine, because I have had sore hips for the last several weeks, and I have to move carefully, or I just might pull or strain something.

I just want to see if my body can go into labour itself this time...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#14 of 14 Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM

i don't think that lots of walking could hurt- it has always helped me in the final weeks.

peace,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page