December chat thread..HOHOHO! one month to go! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hehe
Can you believe it? Only a month or so to go for some of us, maybe less for others...
So, is everyone ready for Christmas? New Years? The new baby? I feel so far behind, and I feel like this last month is dragging along. I still need to pick up some more baby clothes, and recieving blankets. Unfortunately, my dh is off work right now, still dealing with his rash. He's off until the the 17th. Part of me is :, cuz that means no money pretty much, the other part is because that means I have some help for the next week or so.
We finally got winter here! What about everyone else?

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 06:10 PM

oh geez, is it really december???

it's definitely winter here- snow and ice. just in the last week.

i feel like this pregnancy is really starting to catch up with me. just 3 weeks ago, i was still looking pretty thin, but now, i'm reeeeeally pregnant. ugh.

so much to do! so little time!

pardon me while i freak out. (is it really december?!)

peace,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Christmas ready? no.
New years ready? no.
Baby ready? no.

We are discussing names more now though, so that's progress, right?

Actually, can I get an opinion?

We've talked about two names that we seem to be coming back to:

Ella Jade (girl)
Django Robert (boy)

My issues with the two names are: My name is Leah. Is Ella to similar sounding to Leah? If people were saying our names together "Ella and Leah were blah blah blah" would it be confusing? My husband says I'm overthinking this. He seriously told me I was overthinking our babies name. It was all I could do to not scream at him...you CAN'T OVER THINK WHAT YOU NAME YOUR CHILD!!!!

Am I paranoid? Is the name too similar to mine when said aloud?

My issue with Django is...it's a great name for an older person, as an adult it will be a wonderful unique and meaningful name. But is it going to give my kid issues while growing up? Should we try to find a nickname for his childhood years, such as "DJ?"

Or, as my husband is convinced...am I overthinking this?

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#4 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM

It's exciting, isn't it?! My favorite part is answering "next month" when I'm asked when I'm due! This pregnancy has really flown by for me, and like HCM, the baby has finally popped! : ITA that you can't overthink your baby's name! I really like the names you've chosen, but how you feel about them is waaaaay more important!

I'm having a problem with the spelling of the name we've chosen for our baby girl. I've printed out lists of the various choices and taped them around the house so we have to keep thinking about it. It's so important that it be right!
#5 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 PM

I'm not the best namer, our babies are still up for debate! I don't think I'd do Ella b/c it does sound too much like your name IMO, and it's also way too popular for me (we have 2 in teh family already). No opinion on the boy name, it isn't my style, but it's different, so I like that about it! It does sound like a bit much for a baby, but he'll grow into it!

Our names as of right now, subject to change of course are Brock David and Bryce Thomas, but who knows what we will finally pick when they get here! I'm getting more ready, but still don't have everything done. I ordered a co-sleeper this weekend and hope I get it soon so I can get their sleeping place ready! I have Christmas more than 1/2 way done, just a few giftcards and misc. stuff to get. I'm not planning on doing a lot this year, I just don't have the energy.
#6 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 PM

I have been all action lately!
We are decorated, shopped for and pretty organized.
Probably neglecting my two kiddos in the process!
I'm Nesting like crazy. Making homemade Christmas gifts and cards.
I've even scrubbed our bedroom floor. Done more laundry than I think I ever have and made cute little crafty decorations. My husband finds all of this incredibly amusing b/c I am NOT like this normally. Maybe that is why we keep having kids - ha ha ha.
Normally, I am not this domestically inclined.

I have even baked homemade pies, scones, muffins and cookies!!!!
It's getting out of control, but it's going to be sad when it all goes away. My energy is getting lower each week as I get closer to the due date so I guess I just want to finish everything up before it's too exhausting.

I'm definately enjoying it now though except for all the crying over silly things like candle light, christmas stories for kids, making cookies etc.
chris
#7 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 PM

I don't feel at all ready for this baby, although I am due at the end of January. I have not had a baby shower yet. In fact I have no idea what is going on with that. I don't have everything i need for the baby. The most important a dresser (for all the clothes my best friend and her brother gave me) and changing table. I am going to slowly start buying some of those things.
#8 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 PM

I'm so excited!!!! I still need a bunch of stuff, but I'm ready. Serious baby fever.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#9 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 09:23 PM

I am feeling sort of ready for Christmas. I have a lot of wrapping to do, and I have next weekend slated for baking (with tons of help from dh that is!). I went really low key this year, so that's helpful.

I am feeling so ready to have this baby, and that is making me nesty. We are setting the nursery up saturday with the help of my parents. Not knowing the gender of the baby is sort of throwing a kink in the "preparing" phase. After the nursery is settled, my Mom said she would take me out to get some blankets and cloth diapers, etc.....and she promised that she would take care of completing wardrobe after the birth. I totally trust her taste and know that she will do it, I just had so much more ready for dd!!!!

Otherwise, I am trying to fill the days until I go into labor. I'm home from work now and after two appointments today, the rest of my week is totally free. I have no idea what to do with myself!!!!!!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#10 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 PM

I'm much more prepared for the baby than I am for Christmas. We're not going to be doing any of our shopping till around the 15th. We also have the big fancy Christmas dinner party that weekend at a big fancy hotel where they'll rent us a room for the night. I'm just looking forward to the giant tub and several long soaks in it. It will probably be our last night away alone for a good long while.

I only have a few things left to get for the baby, slings (I think I'm going to start off with a pouch and a Babyhawk), a pack-n-play for the living room and something to put him down in while I cook like a swing or bouncer. Other than that it's nursing stuff for me and I'm all set.
#11 of 121 Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 PM

Ready for Christmas....HAHAHAHAHA yeah right!!!!!
Ready for New Years....I guess...as much as I can be
Ready for baby.....as much as I can be I guess....I'm living with my in-laws, who are AMAZING, but I'd rather have our own home, y'know??? But I have everything I need for here.
#12 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 AM

Baby has popped - dh even noted that I look noticeably more pregnant now than I did even last Wednesday. And I have the exhaustion to go with it - I'm tired by lunchtime, get to lie down for maybe 1/2 an hour during ds's nap (dd has me doing other stuff for the rest of the nap), and then I'm tired by dinnertime. Christmas won't be a problem - we (well, I) have 75% of the shopping done, and we aren't hosting any of the meals.

The tiredness isn't helped by what I call my "episodes" - bouts of extreme diarrhea and vomiting (TMI) that so far don't seem to have a link. It's very frustrating - I can go 6-8 months without an occurrence, than have two just 7 days apart, which happened just recently. I don't know what I would do if I have one when I go into labour - that would just about do me in, I think. :

Anyway, I'm off to bed. I woke up at 5 am with one of these attacks, and it's been a brutal day. Talk to y'all tomorrow.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#13 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 AM

My baby has dropped has been like this for the past month now!! yesterday I realized that I can not longer bend over at all. I have to squat down to pick things up . I can very distinctly feel the baby's head low in my pelvis.

I am now getting up to pee every half an hour even if i limit my intake of fluids.

Other than that I feel fine we are having a winter wonderland up her in Vermont with over a foot of snow...

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#14 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by othersomethings View Post
Christmas ready? no.
New years ready? no.
Baby ready? no.

We are discussing names more now though, so that's progress, right?

Actually, can I get an opinion?

We've talked about two names that we seem to be coming back to:

Ella Jade (girl)
Django Robert (boy)

My issues with the two names are: My name is Leah. Is Ella to similar sounding to Leah? If people were saying our names together "Ella and Leah were blah blah blah" would it be confusing? My husband says I'm overthinking this. He seriously told me I was overthinking our babies name. It was all I could do to not scream at him...you CAN'T OVER THINK WHAT YOU NAME YOUR CHILD!!!!

Am I paranoid? Is the name too similar to mine when said aloud?

My issue with Django is...it's a great name for an older person, as an adult it will be a wonderful unique and meaningful name. But is it going to give my kid issues while growing up? Should we try to find a nickname for his childhood years, such as "DJ?"

Or, as my husband is convinced...am I overthinking this?
maybe you could take a short break from thinking about the names - like a couple of days - and then revisit them and see how you feel. if you still feel more drawn to them than other names, then go for it.

i had a midwife appt. today. my weight and measurements are "great", despite the fact that the size of my belly is apparently frightening to behold by the casual observer. i guess it's my height and the way i carry...

my midwives have been very supportive the last few visits. i'm actually more nervous about labor this time than the last, and they've been wonderful about talking all sorts of things out with me, even though they're nurse midwives and part of a group. i actually don't mind that i don't have one person that i'll be connected to the whole time - i like that there is a lot of backup and a whole range of really smart women as my potential birth support.

my energy is pretty good, but i wish i was through with work and devoting it all to my family. we don't have a lot of christmas prep to do, but i do like to give presents to a few people and don't have that all settled yet (and i have shipping to consider...)

the real big deal is that dp's b-day is on christmas and we usually host a party, and dd's b-day is a couple of weeks past this baby's due date, and she'll be four and definitely expecting a party. i don't really have much partying in me, so i don't know how we're going to work it all out. we're looking at doing a nearby rental space for dd.
#15 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 AM

Hey all! I am coming out of mostly lurkdom since I am now officially obsessed with checking the board!! I am pregnant with #3 (a surprise!!!) and am planning my 2nd midwife assisted home birth. I go back and forth between thinking I can't wait another minute for this baby and thinking that I am not at all ready. Mostly, I know that I am not nearly uncomfortable enough to be going into labor any time soon!! Anyway, thought I would introduce myself to the chat since I am here several times a day now!!
Katie
#16 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
WOW, I can't believe it is December already.

I am right along with othersomethings, in that
Christmas ready? no.
New years ready? no.
Baby ready? no.

I usually do almost all the Christmas shopping, but this year, dh said he really wants to help decide what we get the girls, but he never wants to talk about it: He has been really busy at work, but if he does not help me decide by this weekend, I will just do it myself. We both have big families and i started several year ago making homemade gift baskets for all of them and they have always gone over well. I change it up a little every year. This year I am doing whipped shea butter lotion, bath salts, kahlua, hot choc mix, chicken soup mix in a jar, dip mix in a jar, choc covered stirring spoons, and Ice candles. I ordered everything I have to order on line on Friday, and will get the rest of the ingredients on Friday when I go to town and spend most of next week making them.

I still have to make a blanket and a couple of things for this baby, but first I have to finish the slings I have on order (I make them). I really wanted to make some kimono tee-shirts for this baby, but I really don't see that happening before she is born. I am making a waldorf mermaid for #3, and some dresses for #2 and 3, that I have to finish before Christmas. And I need to finish the sling for this baby, I got some gorgeous plum colored hemp silk:, but I can not find a piece of silk to go on the tail like I am picturing it.

Dh left early this morning for a conference and will not be back until Friday. Luckily one of our neighbors is going to feed our cows while he is gone, I am a little afraid I will really hurt myself getting on and off the truck (the bed is 5" off the ground, and we feed 1000lb bales by hand). My goal while he is gone is to clean the playroom, it is a disaster - you can not even get in the door - the biggest problem being that I get tired so easy and I can not bend over - which make sit hard to clean it.

Anyone else notice they have no patients? I get so frustrated with the girls so easily. I feel like I just want to go away and hide for the next 6-8 weeks - where no one needs anything or argues with me.

And we still have do not have a name for this baby :

Sorry, for the book, guess I got a little carried away:

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#17 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthebeach View Post
Hey all! I am coming out of mostly lurkdom since I am now officially obsessed with checking the board!! I am pregnant with #3 (a surprise!!!) and am planning my 2nd midwife assisted home birth. I go back and forth between thinking I can't wait another minute for this baby and thinking that I am not at all ready. Mostly, I know that I am not nearly uncomfortable enough to be going into labor any time soon!! Anyway, thought I would introduce myself to the chat since I am here several times a day now!!
Katie
welcome, katie!

we're always happy to see new faces. though it looks like you've been around MDC for a while. hope the rest of your pregnancy is smooth- like you, i have no indication that the baby is going to come anytime soon. and unlike a lot of other people, i'm not nesty at all, and i was really nesty with my last 2 when the time drew near. part of me laughs about intentionally holding off labor by suppressing nesting! (like, the baby won't come till i'm ready for it, right?)

oh well, welcome- enjoy the final weeks with us!

hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#18 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM

I am not ready at all either I still really need a waterproof mattress pad...I don't have my birth pool yet, and I have nothing set up or arranged!! Christmas is still far from my mind though it is only 4 weeks away New years has not even entered my mind at all!!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#19 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 01:50 PM

Well Christmas is in full swing here! Our kids leave for Christmas break on the 18th, so we fit most of the holiday season in before then! After they leave I can sit back and relax, haha! Most of my Christmas presents have to be mailed to family (we're in FL, they are in NY or PA), so I'm really trying to finish up getting anything we need, my goal is to have those boxes in the mail by Friday. Ordered our cards on Monday (look how cute they are!!!! CLICK ME.

Baby stuff- getting there! I have a master list and am slowly working on getting stuff checked off it. I found California baby at Target today (yipppeee). I feel huge, but I know it's just 'cause I have a small body. The other moms I work with are within 2 weeks of giving birth, so that's pretty exciting to know we'll have newborns to cuddle soon!

Oh and "winter" arrived this morning, it was 50 degrees instead of 70. Can't it PLEASE stay cold for me???

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#20 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Not ready for christmas or baby yet, but one thing in my favor is that we decided to draw names with my in-laws instead of getting everyone a gift. DH and I drew his dad and his BIL, so that means HE gets to do the shopping (I shop for the girls, he shops for the boys in our families). My sis is overseas, so the only way to shop for them is online, and that only leaves my parents. This should be my easiest shopping year yet.

I'm SOOOOO excited to be going to see my chiropractor in an hour. I tweaked my pelvis last week and it's doing a lot better, but still not right. And my ribs have been hurting ever since my midwife pointed out that his butt is firmly planted under my left ribs.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#21 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM

I am not posting in this thread because to do so would be to admit that December is upon us and I am not, in the least, ready for this child to be born. Or for Christmas. Or for anything else, either.

So, you never saw this post. It is not December. It's all a conspiracy.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#22 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
I am not posting in this thread because to do so would be to admit that December is upon us and I am not, in the least, ready for this child to be born. Or for Christmas. Or for anything else, either.

So, you never saw this post. It is not December. It's all a conspiracy.
hahaha...you're cracking me up!!! it is surreal though, isn't it??
#23 of 121 Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahirakids View Post
Christmas is still far from my mind though it is only 4 weeks away
I looked on the calender, and *shock* Christmas is exactly 3 weeks away!

We had planned on using dd's infant carseat, two days ago I carefully inspected it after having it in the attic for 3+ years and the plastic looks funky: discolored, weak, warped. Not a good sign, right? I have to buy a new one I think. As if I needed anything else to do.

We are doing mostly homemade christmas gifts this year, but both dh and I are way behind. Only 3 weeks blows my mind. I am 38 weeks the day after Christmas!

We hired our doula! I feel so much better knowing she will be there and can attend to me while dh watches dd (worst case scenario).

And finally: Welcome Katie!

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#24 of 121 Old 12-06-2007, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Psst... did you notice the newest ddc?

#25 of 121 Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Psst... did you notice the newest ddc?
I didn't and I just went to check...holy cow :

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#26 of 121 Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Good morning all! Thanks for the nice welcome! I have been here and there for quite a while but haven't posted much here. I can't believe that there are people due in September already!!! Man, am I glad it's not me!!! Although my pregnancy has been fairly uneventful, I am getting anxious for the end. I am trying to keep my zen!! It doesn't help when my 1.5 yo wakes up at 6:15!!!
Katie
#27 of 121 Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM

okay, so i am officially in holiday freakout mode now. i have been in complete denial that christmas was, what, 20 days away now? i have everything done for the kids, which is silly, cause they're the 2 who i have to worry least about. dh and i still haven't decided whether we're going to do gifts for each other this year- we're pretty anti-materialism/anti-consumerism... and we'd better decide pretty soon if we're going to do anything for each other.

but i'm REALLY worried about my parents right now. they are actually flying across the country to stay with us for a few days before christmas. they will be here in less than 2 weeks. and i have NOTHING for them. (and i KNOW they have stuff for us.) they're not easy to buy for in the first place, but i have so much other stuff on my mind right now, that i can't focus on what to do for them. i want something really special and personal, you know? and maybe something from the kids, too.

we just went to michael's, to see if i could be inspired by something the kids could make for their grandparents, and it was just so stressful to be there.

aaaaaah! freak out!!!!!!!:

-hcm

#28 of 121 Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post
i want something really special and personal, you know? and maybe something from the kids, too.

we just went to michael's, to see if i could be inspired by something the kids could make for their grandparents, and it was just so stressful to be there.

aaaaaah! freak out!!!!!!!:

-hcm
Make ice candles Really easy and everyone I have ever made them for loves them. They are what our kids are making for everyone. Take a 1/2 gallon cardboard container (like milk and juice come in) get some wicks from Michaels and some paraffin. Cut the container in 1/2 or so, put the wick in (can hot glue it if you want it to stay centered). Melt some paraffin, drop in a few crayons for color, stir gently for marbled effect. Fill carton with crushed ice, pour paraffin onto and let set overnight. Set in a pan of some kind - they leak. take carton off and there you go!. I am having the kids decorate little canvas totes and putting these in them. HTH

I know what I am doing for Christmas presents, but still have to do them!

But my SIL is coming over this afternoon to help me clean and organize our playroom and vacuum the stairs! And DH called me (he is at a meeting in Iowa) and go done early and is only like an hour from the home of John Deere, so he is going to go there and get some stuff for the girls for Christmas!

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#29 of 121 Old 12-06-2007, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am ready for nothing. Well, I'm ready(oh so ready..) to give birth, but not to actually cloth my child : This will be one nekkid baby. Good thing I'm co-sleeping/breastfeeding/ECing! This is also one cheap baby!
No Christmas this year, I think. Kiki will get presents, from her Grandmothers and Aunties, but not from us : With Paul off work, and insurance up in the air, who knows whats going to happen. Ah well, its not like she needs anything. Especially toys In fact I have to sort through her toys and get rid of a bunch. Gotta kick out the Dora and Diego recalls too. : Thank God, its only two toys, but she does play with them alot.
I'm happy that we bought half of the Christmas meal already. Ham this year, no poultry. Which is fine, since none of us actually like turkey.
So I went over to the board-which-shall-remain-unnamed to see what was happening and you know what I noticed?
We have no drama.
What is wrong with us? Why are we so drama-free? Are we all so zen and loving that we can't stir up a little drama? Come on People! Get with the program! : missed me
Seriously though, its a breath of fresh air. I can come on here and just go "Ahhhhhh....."

#30 of 121 Old 12-06-2007, 05:44 PM

those candles are a great idea, jess. i had hoped to do some research online tonight for some supplies i could pick up tomorrow. MIL is watching the kids while i make the trek to my MW appt, and i thought maybe i'd stop at michael's on the way home. i know it would be easier if i had a list to work from, and no double stroller to push up and down the narrow aisles of women!

still soliciting ideas!!!

hcm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page