#61 of 119 Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
Planning home birth #2 here.

Oh gosh, what do I still have to do....let's see....

Clean my bedroom so there's enough room to give birth in it.
Rearrange some furniture to sidecar dd's old crib. (Rearrange a LOT of furniture. Maybe get rid of some furniture. Oh where the HECK is that stupid thing going to go? )
Get the infant seat in the car. Just in case.
Oh, um, order the birth box. Right. Must do.
Get pads for post partum.
Get some shower curtains for, well, the shower. And for the bed. But I really need to change the one in my shower; it's getting gross.
Which reminds me, I have to recaulk the tub...or I have to have DH recaulk the tub. Because I did it in a nesting frenzy a couple weeks ago, and I did a crappy job. I guess some people just can't caulk. :
Figure on some food and get that done. Soup sounds good....hmmm
Stock up on protein filled snacks that I won't eat before I go into labor. (There's protein in chocolate, right? )
Penetrate the creepiness of the basement long enough to find DDs gender neutral infant stuff. Make DH carry it upstairs.
Wash that stuff. Blech.
Get the baby swing out of the basement, too. Put it someplace where dd won't climb all over it and break it.....the ceiling maybe?

I htink that's it. I'll come back and add more if I think of anything :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 119 Old 12-11-2007, 03:24 AM

i keep thinking i'm pretty much ready, but then there's...

haven't tested midwife's pool yet
haven't found infant carseat, or put in car
haven't unloaded boxes of baby clothes, baby things, out of schoolbus (storage)
haven't purchased a dresser, the only furniture we're getting for the baby, as we co-sleep
haven't ordered my recharge
haven't organized the foodlist for friends (or should i say rallied the organizer)
haven't found the cloth diapers
haven't ordered any covers
haven't grabbed a bendy straw from the coffee shop yet

no birthkit this time, as this midwife says she's got it all, but...

today i ordered some postpartum goodies from www.birthwithlove.com
they have natracare new mother natural maternity pads
and a pretty cool looking OB pads whole postpartum system with peri bottle and all
i also got some vitamin k pregnancy support to help prevent postpartum hemorrhage
i got a mattress bag for $4.75 - hopefully it'll be as effective as a shower curtain
and some nice sitz bath herbs

i'm feeling a little more responsible for sitting down and ordering that stuff, but it's still so much easier than the "doing" of the rest of the stuff

i have been having braxton hicks all freakin day long....

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#63 of 119 Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmama View Post
We've siphoned successfully several times, and it's soooo, soooo simple:

Rather than having to use mouth suction to get the siphoning going, we use the outdoor spigot to fill the hose completely full, from the end of the hose that the pool will be draining out of, backflowing to the pool. Once the hose is full with no air bubbles coming out in the pool, carefully disconnect the hose from the outdoor spigot and cover it with your thumb so no water leaks out. Lay it down at a point that is lower than the birth pool, and the flow starts immediately, without stopping, until the pool is just about dry. Voila!
You're right, this is what they did. I thought there was some other way but I wasn't paying any attention at the time they did it and couldn't come up with it. Thanks for the reminder!!
Katie
#64 of 119 Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm planning an unassisted homebirth.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#65 of 119 Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 PM

I bend the hose over itself before unscrewing, otherwise I end up losing water.
#66 of 119 Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 PM

this will be our 3rd homebirth..all with the same wonderful amazing midwife. im excited! every time i think about the birth i just get all warm and glowy feeling. i know its going to be quick and simple and so perfect.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#67 of 119 Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Just wanted to update everyone on the progress of my list from a couple pages back....

Havent' got a damn thing done.

That is all.

:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#68 of 119 Old 12-18-2007, 03:59 PM

Hello! We're planning our third homebirth in January (third baby). I think I'm doing pretty good with the preparations. We're pretty much ready...physically. I don't think that mentally I am ready for three under three yet. The thought actually scares me quite a bit, but we'll survive. I've been pg or nursing for 41 months now and I am so ready to be done with pregnancy. The nursery is ready. I have all my supplies and they are in the nursery. I got the car seat out and re-threaded the straps for a newborn lat night. Here is my list:

Wash baby clothes and find somewhere upstairs to put them

Make meals for the big day and freeze them (I'm doing a high protein breakfast casserole and a chicken pot pie)

Order the After Ease that I want to try out for after birth contractions

Pick up Aqua Doula on the 5th.

Other than that, I'm all set.
#69 of 119 Old 12-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Hi sing4jy,
Can you share more about the "after ease", like what is it and where do you get it? I was thinking about doing some type of herbal something right after, I already do the sitz bath and my midiwfe has had me make a sitz bath tea and soak pads in it and then freeze them to use right after the birth......but I am interested in what other mamas are planning to use right after.

Thanks
#70 of 119 Old 12-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
Just wanted to update everyone on the progress of my list from a couple pages back....

Havent' got a damn thing done.

That is all.

:
:

I'm right there with you!!

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#71 of 119 Old 12-18-2007, 06:54 PM

At least we can laugh about it, Sandy

#72 of 119 Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Yeah, it's either that or pull my hair out, and I don't look good bald

#73 of 119 Old 12-18-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

After much frustration in trying to get a sink adaptor that will work for our sink to fill up the birth pool (and tears - goodness gracious am I hormonal) I have actually had to relinquish control of my list - well, the new list anyway. Dh is going to take care of it all which really is a HUGE weight off my shoulders!!
#74 of 119 Old 12-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadassah View Post
Hi sing4jy,
Can you share more about the "after ease", like what is it and where do you get it? I was thinking about doing some type of herbal something right after, I already do the sitz bath and my midiwfe has had me make a sitz bath tea and soak pads in it and then freeze them to use right after the birth......but I am interested in what other mamas are planning to use right after.

Thanks
I heard about it on another board I'm on. Some of the ladies there said it really helped them. It's supposed to help lessen the pain from the after birth contractions. I have been told that you don't normally feel them with your first and that it can get worse with each baby after that. I didn't have them with my first, but with my second they were pretty painful. I felt like I was still in labor! So I am definitely wanting to try it out.

You can get it here: http://www.1cascade.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=2133
#75 of 119 Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 AM

Thanks singforjy,
yeah I know my last after birth contractions were MUCH stronger than my first. And yes it did feel like I was still in labor. And I'm one of those who doesn't like to use advil or something. My midwife has given me crampbark which worked pretty good, that and a trusty hot water bottle.

Anyways I wonder if my local healthfood store would have something like this I'm guessing yes.

Thanks for the link!
#76 of 119 Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 AM

First homebirth here, second birth. First was in a free-standing birth center, and we both came home asking each other, "why did we bother going anywhere?". From that point on we agreed that the next one would be at home.

I'm feeling so ridiculously nesty this week, but yet I'm having a hard time believing that this could actually happen soon. I truly don't remember what contractions felt like, but I keep having flashbacks of the only really unpleasant part of labor for me, when I could feel the bone-on-bone of DS' head passing through my pelvis. Ugh. I'm trying to fully remember that, in order to remember that it wasn't THAT bad, and that I DID do it.

I need to get everything assembled tomorrow, as I have a mw home visit on Thursday and would like to be able to show her where to find all of my supplies. I don't know why I'm avoiding this---I have (nearly) everything, but just need to get.it.together. I was reminded by this thread, though, that having peroxide on hand ahead of time would be a good idea.

Then again, I really didn't make any kind of trail last time. I labored at home, and my water didn't break until right before we left for the birth center. There's point #1 where this birth could differ. Then once we got there, I labored and birthed him in water. Don't know if I'll be in the water this time or not. So my only real chance to make a mess last time was going from the tub to the separate shower, then from the shower to the bed. I figure if this one IS born in water, it's not very far from my tub to the bed, and I have enough chux pads for that. Babbling....

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
...as well as miso for broth in the fridge.
Thanks for the reminder! For me, miso soup is one of the most comforting and healing of foods, and I need to buy some miso. I'm thinking of making the broth ahead of time (the bonito/wakame part) and having it in the freezer ready to heat and add miso, onions, tofu, etc. We'll see. It's not hard or time consuming to make, but it'll just be one less thing for DH to worry about when the time comes, I suppose. Either that or it'll be a small labor project.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#77 of 119 Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM

I have now hit the point where I can birth at home:!!! I'm sure this baby isn't going anywhere for at least a couple more weeks but it feels good to get to this point. I don't have to worry with every BH contrax that this baby just sit right where it is because I don't want to go to the hospital(and of course for the health of my baby)!! I still have a ton of stuff to do so I really don't want the baby to come in the next week at least.
I did get the hoses/tarps/etc for my birth pool so we can do a trial run this weekend. Tomorrow we will finish Christmas shopping and do a big Sam's Club trip to stock up on tp, paper towels, canned stuff, diapers, wipes, etc. Then tomorrow afternoon DH gets to go to the dr for the big "snip" We have debated back and forth about the timing of this and finally decided to just go ahead and do it since he will be off work through Christmas anyway and then we don't have to worry about BC after the baby is here. Anyway, things here are going well. We are getting close now!!
Katie
#78 of 119 Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I have now hit the point where I can birth at home!!!
Bragger.

:

Hey, I checked out the website where I have to order my birth kit....mostly because it was linked to upthread : And I'm going to add some other things to my order, like the "Born at Home" longsleeved onesie TOO cute. Might get the Tshirt for DD, too.

But, yeah, that's all the prep that's going on here so far.

#79 of 119 Old 12-20-2007, 03:07 PM

I have my mw homevisit today, and I FINALLY...got my birth supplies assembled yesterday. Whew! I was totally putting that off, just because I couldn't concentrate on the detailed list with DS talking in my ear and playing with everything, but now it is done.

He kinda freaked out as I was unpacking everything, and found the chux pads. He asked what they were for, and I told him. He's 2.75 years old, we've been reading books and watching videos, and last week he took a sibling class with Penny Simkin. So he has the language to talk about stuff, but this one was hard for me to figure out. I finally realized that it's pretty simple----nervous about change, and totally knows that a big one is coming. Not wanting chux pads on our floor or on our bed was just a tiny thing that he felt like maybe he could have some control over. We talked about it a lot, and I think that when it comes down to it, he's not going to be there for the birth, which is fine with me (as long as it is his choice). He wants to come in afterwards, though, to meet his sister.

Ugh. He's just such an emotional wreck lately, and I feel so ill-equipped to help him (being that I'm not THAT much better myself!!). Poor kiddo.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#80 of 119 Old 12-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Sara, my dd is 2.5 and I've been thinking a lot about whether or not she's prepared for this whole thing. I've been doing whatever I can think of to help her out, and she does often surprise me with her understanding of what's going on and what's going to be going on, but still, I"m concerned. It sounds like you're doing a great job preparing ds, and meeting him where he is.

DD has told me repeatedly that she wants to be here when the baby comes out....but I'm not sure she really grasps what that means.

#81 of 119 Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
Ugh. He's just such an emotional wreck lately, and I feel so ill-equipped to help him (being that I'm not THAT much better myself!!). Poor kiddo.
(((((mama)))))

my dd was 23mo at ds' birth and did wonderfully. we prepared her a lot & i think she really DID get it all. she's 4.5 now, and ds is 2.5 .... not sure how it will go, but they'll be here. if they don't want to be right up in the action, lol, they have plenty to do upstairs, but i'm sure they'll want to stick around.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#82 of 119 Old 12-21-2007, 04:22 PM

you must mean.....2.5 and not 25....lol...mama you crack me up

My son is also about the same age and I worry about how he is going to take having a new baby around. He is very partial to my lap even when my DD is getting cuddles from me he has to get right in there.
#83 of 119 Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I think I am a homebirther as well. An unassisted one though. We have access to one lay midwife, but she is a 2 hour drive from us and I am a very fast birther.

This is my third, so I could probably birth this baby standing on my head, but there is a part of me that has been reluctant to commit to an unassisited birth. But I am even more reluctant to go to the hospital to do what I know I can do at home.

I am looking at birth kits and some postpartum comforting items. Not sure what I will need exactly, but doing some fast reading and research.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#84 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 01:31 PM

I just finally bought my birth kit. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would
The kit my midwife had picked out was only $40ish and I added a few things to bring it to about $60, but still I thought that was pretty cheap.
I can't believe I waited so long, though.. 36w1d- I was supposed to do it by 34w Hopefully they don't take too long to ship.
Oh, and my birth pool arrived this week. Yay!
How is everyone else coming along with preparations?

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#85 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 02:04 PM

I'm approaching 39 weeks, and feeling fairly prepared, though there are still some things left to do. I'm quite relieved that DD's Christmas got all wrapped and we got our cards & other gifts out. I still need to soak some pads in comfrey tea and freeze them, but I think everything else is ready for the birth. Maybe I'm in denial, but I don't expect this baby until mid-Jan.

DH is going to drive me across town today because a local natural baby store is having a sale - hope to collect up some cloth diapers & wool covers. We also need to make some goodies today to give to a few friends. I don't know how I'm going to get that done - my pain & exhaustion level is off the charts! I don't walk around the house anymore - I roll around on our office chair!

I still want to catch up on video transfers to DVD, and I don't have that much left to do to catch up, but I have no gumption. But I know I won't get to that project again for at least 6 months or more after the baby is born, so I want to at least finish up what is waiting.

Still left to do (not critical before the birth):
- order insurance papers for the baby (want different ins. since our current coverage covers no alternative.)
- decide whether or not to have a doula (and this decision may make itself if I don't hurry up and figure that out!)
- prepare "thank you" gift baskets - I have all the stuff, just need to put them together.
- type laundry instructions
- install carseat
- prepare birth plan in case of hospital transfer

I guess that's it.
#86 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 03:25 PM

why do you have to make the laundry instructions?

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#87 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Oh, that reminds me that I need to soak some pads to freeze, too.

Have any of you tried WishGarden's AfterEase drops before? I'm thinking about ordering some, but I'm on the fence a bit.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#88 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans View Post
Oh, that reminds me that I need to soak some pads to freeze, too.

Have any of you tried WishGarden's AfterEase drops before? I'm thinking about ordering some, but I'm on the fence a bit.
I am going to order some today. After my last delivery, the after pains were quite strong and I have heard good things about the AfterEase drops. I have my fingers crossed that they will help and I will be able to stay away from Motrin.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#89 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Approaching 39 weeks here too.
I'm mostly ready. I still need to clean my hose and figure out our game plan for blowing up the pool. Other then that I think we are set. Good thing to, as I had a little bit of bloody show this morning
I even had DH scrub the bath tub today so baby and I can take a postpartum bath in in a nice clean tub. At least I hope it's still clean when baby decides to comes

#90 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

39 weeks here and at this point I've decided that we're as ready as we'll ever be - which is a good thing with the bloody show yesterday and then the contractions today. Dh did lots of cleaning yesterday (the bathroom and tub) and got my sister's bf to help bring in the tub (aka stock tank). It's in the middle of my kitchen right now and in the way so I'm hoping it will be sooner rather than later. We still have to clean it per my mw's instructions.

I'm really hoping that if it's today that it's clear to me before 5:30pm. My parents are leaving to pick up my other sister at the airport then and won't be back for several hours so there goes my support people/childcare for ds.

I'm a little nervous...never having labored before I'm afraid I'll wait too long to call people - dh is at work today and has about an hours drive and is the only manager on duty.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page