Any homebirthers here? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Almost 36 weeks here and just getting set up.
Our next appt. is a home visit to make sure we are set up and ready.
We have most of our supplies now, I washed all the towels and sheets and put them all together with some baby clothes and set up a changing station on our dresser and changing supplies in the top drawer. ( I won't be able to wear most of those clothes for awhile anyway)

We still need some snacks for everyone and the cake mix and frosting for the kids to bake a birthday cake with Grandma while I labor.

Chris
#92 of 119 Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 PM

i'm 37 and 4..?! my midwife just came over and since we weren't sure if baby was head up or down (she had hiccups and i was feeling it all up and down my one side..very weird.) she did an internal (not my favorite, but i guess sometimes necessary..) and baby is definitely head down.. i'm also easily 2cm dilated and very soft down there :..but i really really don't want baby to come before the 27th, since my son's birthday is the 26th and ive already done the being in labor on christmas thing once...anyways, i'm not having any contractions so hopefully the check wont do anything. we got our pool yesterday and tonight i'm going to set it up and do a trial run, just in case..otherwise i'm all ready (midwife is bringing the supplies ) so an early jan baby would be perfect.im excited for my 3rd homebirth. i have a feeling it is going to be fast and easy and wonde4rful.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#93 of 119 Old 12-25-2007, 12:50 AM

We have our home visit this Thursday with our midwife and her backup (who I'm excited to meet because I've heard she is awesome!).
It's just wild how quickly it's approaching!
I still need to get our hose/adaptor set and gather everything so DH knows where everything is located. I want to make sure there are no misunderstandings there since I really hate talking during labor.. and I know I won't want him asking me a million little questions

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#94 of 119 Old 12-25-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmommie View Post
why do you have to make the laundry instructions?
Well, when DD was born, I couldn't get out of bed for a week (anemia.) I'm already battling anemia this pregnancy (but think I'm doing better because I caught it this time.) But I'm preparing to be able to stay in bed, if necessary. Heck, even if it's not necessary!

DH, who has done most of the cooking and cleaning during this pregnancy, still has no idea of how to operate the washer! And he needs to know how to run the diapers too. So, that's why. Also, I may have friends coming over to help, and that's something I can ask them to do.

Oh, and we did get to that store, and I got a super deal on some wool covers! And we made 4 varieties of raw cookies to give to friends. It was a mighty painful day today, but I'm glad to have gotten that stuff done.
#95 of 119 Old 12-25-2007, 02:59 AM

I had my home visit last week, and I'm all set as far as that stuff goes. I just need to get some meals in the freezer and I'll be good to go.

I just got my After Ease in today. Haven't used it before, but I know some women who said it really helps.
#96 of 119 Old 12-26-2007, 03:14 PM

Updating my list:

Clean my bedroom so there's enough room to give birth in it. Not Done. In fact, there's more crap in there than the first time I posted this list.
Rearrange some furniture to sidecar dd's old crib. (Rearrange a LOT of furniture. Maybe get rid of some furniture. Oh where the HECK is that stupid thing going to go? ) Not Done either. And, as previously mentioned, I have MORE crap to move to find room for the stupid thing.
Get the infant seat in the car. Just in case. Well, I got it out of the basement.....but now it's in my bedroom. See two above items.
Oh, um, order the birth box. Right. Must do. Still Must Do.
Get pads for post partum. They're still at the store.
Get some shower curtains for, well, the shower. And for the bed. But I really need to change the one in my shower; it's getting gross. DID THIS! WOOHOO! Now I have to air them out! :
Which reminds me, I have to recaulk the tub...or I have to have DH recaulk the tub. Because I did it in a nesting frenzy a couple weeks ago, and I did a crappy job. I guess some people just can't caulk. Not Done. Probably won't get done, since I'm waiting on DH to do it.
Figure on some food and get that done. Soup sounds good....hmmm I'm going to end up starving when I go into labor and have this kid. Hopefully the baby will hold off till my best friend gets here and starts cooking for me.
Stock up on protein filled snacks that I won't eat before I go into labor. (There's protein in chocolate, right? ) Chocolate I've got. But, that's totally it. Unless you count the cheesecake cupcakes MIL made for Christmas dessert. But they won't last till I go into labor. No chance.
Penetrate the creepiness of the basement long enough to find DDs gender neutral infant stuff. Make DH carry it upstairs. DONE! YAY! And I got some more gender neutral stuff for Christmas! Woohoo! And the basement wasn't as creepy as I've thought it was in the past! Double woohoo!
Wash that stuff. Blech. That's done too. And I only half washed it. My DH stuck it in the dryer and my mom folded it all for me.
Get the baby swing out of the basement, too. Put it someplace where dd won't climb all over it and break it.....the ceiling maybe? Well, I located it in the basement. But, it's still in the basement. I think it need batteries, too.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#97 of 119 Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM

Sharon-anne... that looks like my to-do list
The sheer number of things to get done is overwhelming!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#98 of 119 Old 12-26-2007, 05:17 PM

I was just wondering what you all are planning for labor meals and snacks? I am planning to put a breakfast casserole and a 9x13 chicken pot pie in the freezer tonight. I might grab a frozen lasagne too, since our meals from my moms club probably won't start the first day. For snacks, I'll have fresh fruit, muffins, and trail mix available (in addition to the regular snacks I have around here for the boys like graham crackers and goldfish). Just wondering what others were planning to do.
#99 of 119 Old 12-26-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

For snacks I've got cheese, nuts, smoothies, and will probably make some hardboiled eggs. Oh...and Diet Coke for the midwife. For a post labor meal I have a wild rice chicken soup that I made up the individual components for and then froze. That way all dh has to do is pull out the four different freezer bags and dump them in the crockpot. I'm thinking I should get something else for snacks, though...veggies and dip? crackers?
#100 of 119 Old 12-27-2007, 10:29 AM

For my first birth, DH went to the store after I'd been in labor for several hours, and got some snacks/food/etc. He came home with Gatorade and Cheez Doodles : I love Cheez Doodles. : He got more than that, but that was my post partum reward. :

So, I finish up this 37 hour labor, and I'm like, "BRING ME MY CHEESEY DOODLES OF GOODNESS!"

Turns out my SIL ate them all overnight, while I was too in labor to notice or do anything about it.

This time, DH has instructions to keep my cheez doodles under lock and key. :

#101 of 119 Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM

I finally have all of my birth supplies ready:!!! They are all put together and organized even though I am the least organized person you will meet!! Yeah me!!
My list is getting shorter...this weekend I plan to:
1) get my Christmas stuff put away
2) wash the several loads of laundry that have somehow piled up over the week
3) take out baby stuff (or at least bassinet for LR and maybe put together swing/bouncy chair although neither of my other two would hardly sit in them)
4) Learn how to use my new sling!!!
Katie
#102 of 119 Old 12-29-2007, 04:07 PM

I'm HBing this time, and I'm getting all of the last minute preparations ready. I'm not due until the 16th- and am anticipating going to 41+ weeks. I'm doing hypnobabies, and I'm suddenly getting a bit nervous about the intensity of birth. I watched a bunch of birth YouTube videos last night (big mistake!), and the crowning/pushing baby out makes me feel very anxious. I had a CS with #1, so I've never given birth vaginally. I labored, but never pushed. I am excited for labor to start, just a bit concerned about the pushing baby out part. Please help calm me down!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#103 of 119 Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearbaby View Post
I'm HBing this time, and I'm getting all of the last minute preparations ready. I'm not due until the 16th- and am anticipating going to 41+ weeks. I'm doing hypnobabies, and I'm suddenly getting a bit nervous about the intensity of birth. I watched a bunch of birth YouTube videos last night (big mistake!), and the crowning/pushing baby out makes me feel very anxious. I had a CS with #1, so I've never given birth vaginally. I labored, but never pushed. I am excited for labor to start, just a bit concerned about the pushing baby out part. Please help calm me down!
Well, I haven't watched any of those videos, so I'm not sure about which part is making you nervous. I do know this though - making noise is often a helpful pain management tool. So a lot of women make noise that is for a purpose, not necessarily because they are hurting so bad that they must scream. Does that make sense?

A lot of women find the pushing part to be the most satisfying part of labor, and some do not. But then the rest of it, I guess you must surrender to and try not to control it. I mean, we can't control it anyway, so it's good to try to let that go now if you can. For me personally, prayer plays a big part in that.
#104 of 119 Old 12-29-2007, 05:54 PM

I just watched a beautiful homebirth video (there is a link to it on the UC board) and it was great.
I'm trying to be careful about what I watch these days because I don't want to mess with the frame of mind I have going on now (that I CAN do this and it WILL be great!).

As for food- we are going to have a lot of snacky type things- cheese and crackers, fruit salad, etc. I still have to ask the MW what she likes to eat so that I can have that on hand, too.
I asked DH to make me breakfast after the baby is born (eggs, bacon, pancakes, orange juice) because that's one of my favorite things, even at night.
We were supposed to have our home visit this morning but she was just leaving a birth she had been at all night, so we rescheduled. It's so exciting to think that I'm her next scheduled birth!!

#105 of 119 Old 12-29-2007, 07:25 PM

YAY!
I am planning a homebirth...as long as baby can hold on for a few more days!
I'm not due until mid-late January, but strangers seem to need to tell me that I'm going to pop any second. Baby hasn't moved down yet though so I think i've got at least a week.
We have a pool option and I'm almost done collecting all the "stuff" we need.
I'm getting excited...and nervous.
:

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#106 of 119 Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Well, I haven't watched any of those videos, so I'm not sure about which part is making you nervous. I do know this though - making noise is often a helpful pain management tool. So a lot of women make noise that is for a purpose, not necessarily because they are hurting so bad that they must scream. Does that make sense?

A lot of women find the pushing part to be the most satisfying part of labor, and some do not. But then the rest of it, I guess you must surrender to and try not to control it. I mean, we can't control it anyway, so it's good to try to let that go now if you can. For me personally, prayer plays a big part in that.
This helps. I think the actual crowning videos about 2 inches from the vagina are what make me nervous. It just looks so. darn. painful. And this whole time I have been so positive about staying calm, not fearful, and looking forward to giving birth. I need to stay away from those videos. I like the waterbirth ones much better! thanks for the encouragement.....

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#107 of 119 Old 12-30-2007, 02:04 AM

let's see...finishing up the getting prepared phases...
~having midwife bring multiple inspiring and empowering birthing videos over each week at our visits
~finishing up the readings i want to have read - mainly these 2
this sacred life: transforming our world through birth
pregnant feelings: developing trust in birth
and rereading special delivery
~pick up dresser from friends and unpack baby clothes, diapers, etc.
~make some nice herbal oils for baby
~get a couple more soups frozen
~have dh bring home stock pots, colander and bowls from the restaurant
~grab a few snacks - nuts, fruits, etc.
~have dh set up the birth tub to make sure all components are here
~turn up hot water heater
~buy a new hose with faucet attachment
midwife has all the herbs for after birth frozen herbal mamapads, makes a big pot of herbal tea, and basically takes care of herbal/homeopathic side of things. i've been making big batches of red clover, red rasp, nettle and alfalfa tea throughout. just made 2 gallons today, so will freeze some for ice cubes for my recharge. 2 cases of that finally arrived - and hopefully will still have a full case by the time we birth the baby - i love the stuff .
it's starting to feel like we're actually ready. i'd be fine from this point, as i have all the necessities. the rest is helpful, but not crucial.
it's getting exciting! friends are planning a blessing on the 6th, mom gets here on the 8th, i'm due on the 11th, but we'll see...everyone is feeling like it could be any time now!

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#108 of 119 Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearbaby View Post
I am due the same week! (my due date was moved to the 20th...but I don't know if i'll make it that far!)
Yeah, our Bradley instructor showed us this video shot in Brazil studying the "ancient practice of sqatting" for childbirth. It was great because it was the first video I'd seen that didn't "FUZZ" out the vagina for censoring. It shows a bunch of births rapid-fire...all natural...all squating...and up close.
A little graphic...and you should have seen DHs face...but I'm glad we watched it because while it did give me a little fear that hadn't quite hit me yet, it reminds me to do my perinatal massage!
It also helped me decide that if someone offers me a mirror to "see" the baby crown, I will say NO!
lol
Just remember, the pushing baby part is the climax and we are made for it. I'm working on that surrender and focus part and just hoping I don't get lost in the physical part of it all. That's when you get hurt...when you tense up and try to control it.

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#109 of 119 Old 12-30-2007, 09:59 PM

Hey riverundine,

I am very curious about you saying...."make some nice herbal oils for baby". What kind of oils are you thinking and why if I can ask? I really like the idea of doing something like this for the baby and maybe myself? Thanks!
#110 of 119 Old 12-31-2007, 12:11 AM

i really like making my own oils for the family .

for nourishing the skin on a daily basis, or just after baths, i like to take organic unrefined sesame oil and add a little bit of lavender, chamomile and rose essential oils for calming. i use floracopeia - a wonderful, organic company. gentle baby from young living is nice, too, but pricey. i generally prefer to blend my own essential oils.
the above blend is nice for mama and baby. it really helps with the transition into this realm, grounding - and helps mama ground after the birth. i actually like to use it everyday. (daily self-abhyanga)

for rashes that would benefit from come cooling and healing energy i like to use coconut oil with a little bit of sunflower oil and infuse some comfrey, calendula and lavender into it. all those herbs are super easy to grow and great to have on hand.

for rashes that need dried out i prefer to just use arrowroot powder and fresh air.

for thrush rashes i use 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract in 1 oz fresh water and swab on with q-tips at every diaper change - and lots of fresh air.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#111 of 119 Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 AM

My to-do list is done!!! Now this baby just has to come before we make a mess of the house and the laundry piles up again!! I can now say that I'm due next week!! I hope that everyone is feeling well!
Katie
#112 of 119 Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 PM

Updating again:

Clean my bedroom so there's enough room to give birth in it. Holy Crap; it's done.
Rearrange some furniture to sidecar dd's old crib. (Rearrange a LOT of furniture. Maybe get rid of some furniture. Oh where the HECK is that stupid thing going to go? ) Done!
Get the infant seat in the car. Just in case. It's sitting right by the front door. I just need to pick it up and bring it to the car....
Oh, um, order the birth box. Right. Must do. Still Must Do. Done. But not arrived yet.
Get pads for post partum. They're still at the store.
Get some shower curtains for, well, the shower. And for the bed. But I really need to change the one in my shower; it's getting gross. DID THIS! WOOHOO! Now I have to air them out!
Which reminds me, I have to recaulk the tub...or I have to have DH recaulk the tub. Because I did it in a nesting frenzy a couple weeks ago, and I did a crappy job. I guess some people just can't caulk. Not Done. Probably won't get done, since I'm waiting on DH to do it.
Figure on some food and get that done. Soup sounds good....hmmm I'm going to end up starving when I go into labor and have this kid. Hopefully the baby will hold off till my best friend gets here and starts cooking for me.
Stock up on protein filled snacks that I won't eat before I go into labor. (There's protein in chocolate, right? ) Chocolate I've got. But, that's totally it. Unless you count the cheesecake cupcakes MIL made for Christmas dessert. But they won't last till I go into labor. No chance. Still got nothing here.
Penetrate the creepiness of the basement long enough to find DDs gender neutral infant stuff. Make DH carry it upstairs. DONE! YAY! And I got some more gender neutral stuff for Christmas! Woohoo! And the basement wasn't as creepy as I've thought it was in the past! Double woohoo!
Wash that stuff. Blech. That's done too. And I only half washed it. My DH stuck it in the dryer and my mom folded it all for me.
Get the baby swing out of the basement, too. Put it someplace where dd won't climb all over it and break it.....the ceiling maybe? Well, I located it in the basement. But, it's still in the basement. I think it need batteries, too.

#113 of 119 Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 AM

Hey all you home birthers out there....how are we all doing??? I really liked this thread and so I thought I would try to get it going again.

I am getting close to feeling ready, I am still working away at my sewing projects and I have been cooking meals and sorting through my house trying to get it ready for the baby......lots of work.

I will be 39 weeks tomorrow, where I was when I gave birth last, part of me is hoping to get it done this weekend because my MIL is in town and she is the only one I have that can watch my little ones-trying NOT to stress about having my kids around during labor.

In all my crazy race to finish before the baby gets here I have forgot my excitement about having a little one to hold and cuddle. I checked my breasts today in the shower and was pleased that I have colostrom(spell?), althoughI suspect it has been there for some time.

I am still working on my kids and them sleeping in their own bed, which is going OK. My youngest ends up in our bed EVERY night which is hard becauseI 'm not sure what we will do when the little one gets here. And the last couple of nights my DD 4, has been jumping in also. This morning there was no room for me so I ended up getting up.....and basically dozing on the bathtub floor as hot water poured down on my poor pregnant hips. But for some reason I really feel good, I should be really tired.....

I had a prenatal today and got to meet the assistant again who I relly like. My baby is still posterior but laying on my left side so it should be ok I'm thinking. I'm hoping, as I continue to do my pelfic tilts and wash my floor on my hands and knees and so on....

So ..... I know there is more but this has been good...thanks for reading and here is hoping you all are feeling good/ok whatever is on the better side of uncomfortable!
#114 of 119 Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 PM

its my due date today.. still ready and waiting for the moment since this will be my 3rd Home Birth im not really feeling excited, or not.. it feels totally normal and right.. ive been doing lots of knitting.. i washed all of the teeny newborn woolens that i have and ive been folding and refolding blankets and clothes..trying to keep the cat from sleeping on everything and my kiddos from totally trashing the place. its hard work! i see my midwife again on monday..she does all home visits, its so nice!

hadassah:
sending turning vibes to your baby. my son was posterior till labor started (i think i spent the last 2 weeks of pregnancy on my hand and knees and on the birth ball ) , so its totally possible that if baby doesn't turn now, it will in early labor! and i totally hear you on getting kids in their beds.. my 2 year old dd is still in our bed most nights.. mostly because the energy it takes to sit beside her and sooth her to sleep is So much more than snuggling up in our bed with her.. she falls asleep so quickly and then im too tired to carry her to her own bed. my son on the other hand (5) has been sleeping totally fine in his own bed but the last 2 nights he has snuck in with us...i feel so bad saying "you cant sleep with us" i know its a comfort and things are really up in the air. we arent at "home" though gramas house is pretty close.. and baby is coming and he so doesn't want to miss it...every time he goes out without me somewhere he says "dont have the baby till i get home okay?" its a hard issue because i know once baby comes we will all need sleep, but i figure my son will be okay in his own bed soon enuff and if my daughter needs to sleep with someone dp can go sleep in her bed if the family bed gets too much.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#115 of 119 Old 01-11-2008, 02:47 PM

40+1
Hello all! I'm all set and ready to go...just waiting for the baby to decide the same!! My sister has been here since Saturday so all of my projects around the house are done. My parents and other sister get here tonight so now everyone can move over to the beach house and get out of my space! Maybe that's what the baby has been waiting for!! DS1 is really excited to go stay with Grandma and Grandpa. DS2 will probably stay at home with us (the house they rented is only about 5-10 min away) until the baby is born. Once I feel up to it, we will all go and stay at the beach house and pretend we're on vacation!! They will be here for the next month so hopefully this baby won't wait another 2 weeks to make an appearance. I hope that everyone is feeling well!
Katie
#116 of 119 Old 01-11-2008, 06:02 PM

39w

I'm all ready, just playing the waiting game. He had been in perfect position and is now posterior, so I'm doing what I can to get him to turn. My last one was posterior and that was not fun and I hope to not repeat it. But if he doesn't turn, at least I know I can do it. Like MamaFern, this is my 3rd homebirth so it just feels right to me as all. I've only had homebirths.
#117 of 119 Old 01-12-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to send lots of ELV to those of you who are close. Our hb was amazing!
#118 of 119 Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 PM

38 weeks here, I'm ready to go. I'm doing some cleaning to pass the time. I've had some hard contractions for the past two days but each time they die out

I can't wait to be able to get in my bed and cuddle with my new little joy
#119 of 119 Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 PM

Just had my baby yesterday. Just wanted to update. I didn't birth unassisted at home. I had pulled my groin muscle the night before so I knew I would need extra help. I'm so glad I went in too. We were at a free standing birth center. It was still my all natural birth that I wanted plus a water birth I hadn't purposely planned for, but am thankful for. I could actually get into good positions with my leg with the warm water!

Good luck ladies and YOU CAN DO IT!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page