Any homebirthers here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I figure there has to be more than just me. As "the end" draws closer I thought it might be nice to have a place where we can chat about hb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 AM

Oooh, our very own thread!

Yep, I'm a home birther. This is my first time, so I have no clue what to expect, but am very excited. Thinking about making a birth altar in the coming weeks. Has anyone done that? Was it helpful?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 11:36 AM

I'm birthing at home. It is getting soooo cold where I live and I'm so happy to not have to leave the warmth of my house to go anywhere. I'm pretty much prepared. I've got my birth kit plus some plastic covers for the mattress and some old sheets. I've put aside some towels I wouldn't miss too much if they got destroyed. All I need to do is get some big bottles of hydrogen peroxide and wash some linens for the baby's bassinet and that's all.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#4 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 11:36 AM

We're planning a home birth as well, it will be my second time around... I can't wait!

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#5 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Unassisted homebirther here
all i gotta get now is shower curtains to protect the carpet and more big bottles of peroxide.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#6 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have a lot to get done - well, at least it seems that way. So far what I need to do:

1) Make the components of the soup I'm going to put in the crockpot during labor so that they are frozen and ready for someone to just toss together.
2) Get the items for the birth pool (we're using a 150 gal stock tank my mw loans out) - hose, sink adaptor, light colored sheet, plastic sheeting, etc
3) Find the baby clothes we have from my mom and ds
4) Track down the hat/receiving blankets I had with ds
5) Find a way to pay for the video camera to get fixed
6) Purchase more film/video tapes
7) Decide whether or not I think flannel backed tablecloths are too slippery on the hardwood floors - if they aren't get some
8) Make final decision on what to do since I'm GBS+ (I'm almost there)
9) Write up "Cesarean Surgery Plan" since I'm an HBAC and anticipate hostility from the medical types if we have to transfer
10) Purchase snacks to have on hand for midwives/myself/dh

It's so exciting to see there are others here!
#7 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
9) Write up "Cesarean Surgery Plan" since I'm an HBAC and anticipate hostility from the medical types if we have to transfer
I'd love to see what you write up. I've wanted to write a 'homebirth birth plan' and an emergency 'hospital birth plan' but haven't had the time yet.

I am the same, HBAC. I'm excited!
#8 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Hi mamas this is my first homebirth and I am so so so excited... I think it is great to have our own thread

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#9 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'm actually going to modify slightly the one that Gretchen has on her website (http://www.birthtruth.org/essaysetc.htm). She was/is a Regional Director for ICAN. I really appreciated her perspective. My midwife is confident that everything will be just fine, but knowing that my area isn't all that friendly to hbers, let alone HBACs, and the hospital is less than flexible when it comes to "procedures" I want something in writing and what I don't consent to.
#10 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 12:45 PM

the link is extremely helpful, thank you
#11 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Hi all! I am planning my 2nd home birth (3rd birth). I am getting to the point where labor sounds like a good idea! My sister was telling me someone's birth story a couple of months ago and all I could think was that it sounded like so much work! Soon I will be begging for it!! Having two pregnancies close together (ds2 is 19 months) has been trying for me. I feel like I've been pregnant forever!! The end is in sight...the end is in sight...the end is in sight!!!
Katie
#12 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 02:08 PM

I am planning my first HBAC! I have had a hospital vbac with only a heplock as an intervention and a birthcenter vbac with my youngest ds and it seems like the next inevitable thing to have a homebirth this time.

I dont know if I am ready or not! I still need to get some baby diapers and a shower curtain or table cloth and some peroxide but aside from that I dont know. I should be planning on having herbs and such for pph incase the midwife doesnt make it but money is tight. I do still need to get a baby car seat too.

Angela
#13 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Second time around for me too. I am way behind and putting off everything I need to do. We just got moved into our new place and I'm exhausted. I guess I am in denile about how soon this baby will be born. But I am very excited!
This thread has inspired me to start my list:

Freeze Quiche for birth dinner
Order birth kit
Make a call list
buy videos and film
get cameras ready - batteries charged
write birth plan/emergency plan
gather blankets and wipes diapers
put baby clothes away
messy proof house - bed? floor?
snacks list
finalize who will be at the birth - this is a big one I am avoiding

Pregnancy brain! I just realized I clicked on January instead of February!!!

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life
#14 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 02:36 PM

First homebirth here and VERY excited! I'm not at ALL ready yet, still have to order birth kit, make food I guess, get baby stuff together. I'm afraid I'm going to have to throw everything together in the week I take off from work before my due date.
Oh dear.
#15 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM

I am a little nervous this time even though I have done it twice before( though in a hospital and not at home) My midwife said to get lots of high energy snacks because giving birth is equivalent to a 50 mile hike

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#16 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM

This is my 2nd homebirth, 4th birth.. first unassisted lol.. Im nervous but excited..
#17 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM

Oh I love this thread!!!!!Why didn't we think of this sooner...?....although I guess this really is the perfect time seeing that since we are all so close to actually birthing, we have lots to talk about!

This will be my 3rd birth at home. I also am a water birther.....my midwife loans me her tub. This time around I am going to use this tub...http://http://madeinwater.co.uk/pool.html

I still have tons of "getting ready" to do. I only just have begun. Just this week I have gone through all the baby clothes and sorted out the boy and girl(because I don't know what I am having) 0-3 month clothing. Then I washed them in just water and now will put them aside in bags ready to be grabbed.

There is so much that I need to buy but cannot afford at the moment so I have to figure out exactly what I can get by....then buy just the things I need for right now.

I have been reading birthing from within and am slowly feeling better and better about this time around.....I hate to say it and it is getting better but...I still am dreading the labor. Although I'm sure that all of us do.... I am trying to think as positive as I can about birthing the baby. And I am trying to take the best care of myself and boost my body to get ready. I feel more ready this time around than the last two, it's just that my last birth was very hard for me.... I had back labor. Anyways, I feel like this time I am having to spend more time preparing myself inside and outside.

Anyone else feel the same?
#18 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 PM

Me!!!

Well... I'm planning to, and hoping to. My husband isn't all that keen on the idea. He's in afghanistan so I haven't had a chance to convince him yet. Don't want to use our 15 minutes a day arguing with him. So we'll argue when he gets home!!

But I do plan on it!!
#19 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadassah View Post
Oh I love this thread!!!!!Why didn't we think of this sooner...?....although I guess this really is the perfect time seeing that since we are all so close to actually birthing, we have lots to talk about!
I thought the same thing myself when I saw a thread like it in another DDC! Better late than never!
#20 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 05:27 PM

I'm working on buying birth kit/birth supplies this week. I got a hose from Lowes today I wasn't sure if they'd have them at this time of year - they do.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#21 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 PM

this is our 3rd child, and this will be our 2nd homebirth. i haven't bought one thing, or even gotten anything ready yet at all. i'm due late january (the 27th), so i've just been putting it off. i think i'll start preparing things in a few weeks. i guess this time around i just figure that i have breasts and a warm bed to sleep in, so me and baby are good to go, everything else doesn't matter as much (or i'm just lazy)
#22 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 PM

this will be our second homebirth.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#23 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 PM

Homebirhting here too

I looked at the supplies the other day and started to cry. I can't believe I am finally going to give birth at home. I wanted this for my last child and didn't make it work.
I'm just so excited!!! No rushing to the hospital, no fighting off nurses offering an epideral for the billianth time, or explaining again why I don't want c-efm and be flat on my back.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#24 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 PM

i've got most of the supplies. i have a list of everythign i just need to toss in the box... old towels, thermometer, ect. i still have a lot of supplies left over from ds' birth. we hardly used anything. i just picked up my gatorade last shopping trip.

i still have to meet with the birth photographer, get the pool (my mw loans out her aquadoula), and dye some l/s side snap tees for after the birth.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#25 of 119 Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 PM

This will be my 3rd baby and 3rd homebirth.
I'm ready! I actually am a ding dong and somehow ordered 2 complete birth kits. (shaking head)
Still on the fence whether or not my 4 yr old son will be there for the birth. I think we'll play it all by ear.
Seems funny, but I'm more nervous about this birth, then the 1st.
I am so much more educated then the last 2, I actually started teaching The Bradley Method during this pregnancy. I've done it twice, I trust my body and the natural process.....ack but still I worry?
Glad to see all the homebirthers, it sometimes feels like a dieing breed. Like I'm the only "crazy one"....lol
#26 of 119 Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 AM

Great thread!! I belong here too. This will be my 2nd birth, 1st was in a hospital. Not horriffic, but I'm really glad to be doing it at home this time. We took a swim in our birthtub earlier this week, and it was so nice. I plan on getting in there often because my babe is posterior. UGH! And, because the little darlin' is posterior, I have horrible, horrible pain in my sacrum, hips, and bladder (thankfully no infection.)

And because I've had such a rough pregnancy, I am so, SO looking forward to birthing this baby! I can't wait. I'm trying to get everything just really all done, so that the baby will know it's perfectly fine to come on out!
#27 of 119 Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthebeach View Post
I feel like I've been pregnant forever!! The end is in sight...the end is in sight...the end is in sight!!!
Katie
HA HA HA.... that's been my daily mantra for weeks!!! Currently, I'm 22 months of either PG and/or nursing and counting!
#28 of 119 Old 12-08-2007, 02:42 AM

2nd homebirth and very excited .

dd was born at an ashram during my ayurvedic internship. i spent so much time meditating, reading, doing prenatal, connecting with the baby, preparing...
this time i have a 2 yr old, we just moved, and we're opening a restaurant in a week and a half. i'm a bit concerned about the added stress, but feel that when the time comes that meditative state that was so helpful through my last labor will come back instinctually.
i'm also a little more confident in myself this time, as i know i can do it. i also have a midwife who is very empowering. and i'm creating the birth i want through visualization and affirmation.

one thing i found very helpful in preparing was something i found in pregnant feelings, by rahima baldwin and palmarini. it was about writing a letter (unsent) to a person about something that bugged you about your last birth. i wrote a letter to my dd's midwife letting her know about the two (minor) things that got to me at the birth. it felt good to acknowledge these things, and let them go.

right now i'm reading my midwife's book, this sacred life, transforming our world through birth. she is all about empowering the mama. i'm loving it, as well as working with her.

she was here 2 nights ago and dropped off the birthing tub. i have pretty much everything else, but really need to unpack it . i also need to join the local co-op buyers club so i can order a case of organic recharge. yum! the recharge with rrl ice cubes was perfect at dd's birth. i'll have lots on hand, but also more warm teas, due to the time of year, and that way i'm prepared for whatever my body wants. as far as food goes, i ate a jalapeno/pineapple pizza when labor started last time and wasn't hungry for the next 20 hours. this time i have a couple of yummy soups in the freezer just in case, as well as miso for broth in the fridge.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#29 of 119 Old 12-08-2007, 03:10 AM

riverundine said

"as far as food goes, i ate a jalapeno/pineapple pizza when labor started last time and wasn't hungry for the next 20 hours. this time i have a couple of yummy soups in the freezer just in case, as well as miso for broth in the
fridge"

So thanks riverundine, I really like the idea of having something in my freezer to eat after the birth...now if I can think of what....

I'm guessing that soup is a good idea.....I'm just wondering why I didn't think about this sooner. I always cook a bunch of meals but I like the idea of having something I really like for right after the birth.
#30 of 119 Old 12-08-2007, 12:28 PM

Now i just got the idea recently of from fellow membrz to have an oops unasssted........ i have a pool that if i sat in it wud cover my stomach - is that deep enough? I dont know if i could really use it because i guess that would mean i would have to put it in my bedroom and then how would i fill it up??? and it takes about two hours 2 fill with the hose - maybe i could stick the hose in from the window but the water wouldnt be heated....

anyways it was just an idea....there is a chance i would go to the hospital if the conditions are right...but if hubby is not around and will take up to two hours to get to me i am better off having the baby at home and saying oops....

i am excited but kinda scared and nervous of birthing alone....i trust my body can do it but I am scared of the pain eventhough i have done it all naturally with the other kiddos but i share the feeling that I am more afraid this time of the pain then the other times...and the baby is posterior like the other times and the back pain is horrendous

another idea is to jump in the bathtub - there is a little seat in there and it would maybe soothe the pain for awhile but i dont think i could have the baby in there eventhough it is bigger than the standard tub.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page