Should I have my membranes stripped? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went to see my midwife today and she said that everything looks great and it seems like the baby is a good size. She said that if I want to have my membranes stripped at my appointment next week to get things going then I can (I'll be 38 weeks). I really, really want to have this baby before Christmas so I want to do it, I just have no experience with it.

Have you had it done? Would you do it if it were you?

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 PM

My honest opinion? No. If there are no complications, leave well enough alone. Baby will come when he/she is good and ready.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM

I agree...I absolutely wouldn't. No reason to mess with what nature has already perfectly designed, IMO. Babies come when THEY are ready, not when mom is ready, unfortunately

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:54 PM

No.
Sweeping membranes, ike many INDUCTION options, is a GREAT way to end up with a putzy, not really ready labor that drags on, leading to exhaustion and transfer, and highly medicalized birth or C/S.
Why take the chance?

CPST
Old 12-12-2007, 10:59 PM

I fully agree with all the previous posts. I personally believe in as little interference with nature as possible.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 12-12-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
I fully agree with all the previous posts. I personally believe in as little interference with nature as possible.
: I totally agree. I wouldn't do it, as much as I understand wanting to have the baby a certain time, I think it is best to leave baby alone and let your body go into labor on it's own.

I really *want* to have this baby before 41 weeks, as my mother will be leaving the state and unable to watch dd during labor...but I have decided that I will not do anything to "induce" labor if I do go beyond 41 weeks. I feel much more comfortable with letting my body do it's own thing, knowing that it is doing what is best for my baby. Like pp said, babies come when *they* are ready.

Good luck Mama...

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 AM

I had my membranes stripped at 40 weeks during my last pregnancy. I had some contractions throughout the night and morning but nothing regular at all. At lunch time, my water broke. I spoke with my midwives (I had a home birth) and although it was just long-term talk, I definately felt like I was "on the clock". I was lucky that, like in most labors, active labor began several hours after my water breaking. Those hours were a little stressful though. It was also a pain that my water would leak all over while I was walking. Even with pads on, I felt like I was peeing on myself all the time. My labor/birth went exactly as a membrane-stripping labor should go...water breaking followed by contractions and a baby. I got what I wanted. However, looking back, there are definately things that could have gone wrong. I would consider it again this time but not at 40 weeks. I would probably do it at around 41.5 weeks to avoid hospital induction (or UC as midwives in FL can't deliver at home after 42 weeks). Anyway, sorry so long! I guess I stand in the camp that says let your baby decide when to come. HTH!
Katie
Old 12-13-2007, 12:30 AM

Let baby decide when its time to be earthside. Baby knows, just trust.
Angela
Old 12-13-2007, 12:32 AM

NO!! I would NOT recommend it!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 AM

If you're like me, membrane-stripping wouldn't do a darn thing anyway.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:24 AM

I wouldn't

: totally blessed mother of 2
Old 12-13-2007, 03:36 AM

Nope.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:00 AM

Let us know what you decide. Even if you decide to go ahead with it. Keep us posted!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Old 12-13-2007, 04:34 AM

I know your excited and wanna have the baby quickly but one of the major things that helped me decide on all natural childbirth and this is six years ago was reading the birth stories on MDC...and I am not joking....read the archives and read the current birthstories out there - alot of the problems do occur when unnatural things are done - that is generally what I can say after reading and reading and more reading. Now its not always true but why risk it....and in the end its up to you momma - you know whats best for you and baby and like the op said keep us posted.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Old 12-13-2007, 05:23 AM

I too just want to encourage you to just trust your body and wait to go into labor......your body knows when the perfect time is.....as hard as it is please hang in there and keep cooking that sweet little one!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:41 AM

I agree with all the previous posters on this one--If I were you, I'd let the baby and my body do this on their own time.

Of course, you should do what makes you most comfortable. Informed consent and all that.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:17 PM

I agree w/ PPs to decline. Plus there is the added possibility of inadvertantly breaking the waters

If your body and your baby aren't ready for labor, that can easily lead to a longer, more intervention likely birth.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:25 PM

. . .and breaking your waters before baby is FULLY engaged in your pelvis not only increases the chance of prolapse, it also increases the chances of a posterior/asynclitic baby getting good and stuck in that position, unable to turn due to less buoyancy. That can lead to long/painful labor and/or interventions...

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nope.

but i can completely understand your anxiousness. 38 wks is when i really started tuning in Tokyo, it worked

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
Old 12-18-2007, 04:17 PM

I did have it done last time and it did work. I was in active labor within 6 hours. However, I was already past 40 weeks. I wouldn't do it at 38 weeks.

User Tag List