Slowed growth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had my 33 w appointment with my midwife today- so far my weight gain has been good and measurements going slowly up. Well this week my measurement was still 31, which means I've only gone from 30 to 31 in over a month. Soo, she asked if I was opposed to an US, which I'm not, so I'll go for one on Monday.

Baby's heart rate and activity is great- so what does it mean if growth has slowed down? I know that chances are great that everything is fine, but I don't even begin to know what it means if growth has slowed at this point? Any ideas or btdt?

Thanks

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#2 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 PM

I'm not an expert by any means, but at my last two appts. the OB has made a point to explain that measurements don't always follow the 1cm/week rule anymore at this point.

Try not to worry too much between now and then. Activity and a good heartbeat are great signs!
#3 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 02:58 PM

Mine slowed down after 30 weeks too...I wonder if that's just a normal time for things to slow down a bit?

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#4 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 03:03 PM

I've BTDT w/ #2 and everything was FINE. My fundal height dropped off over the course of a month, when it got to be a full 4cm smaller than it should have been, my Dr. did an US to check for IUGR. Basically they check to make sure baby is growing consistantly, not a big head and small body. My DD was fine, but she did measure smaller than her dates, but my Dr was fine w/ that, as long as she was growing. You might also ask about doing a NST, where they watch baby's HR for about 20 minutes and make sure she's having accels and decels. Good luck and think positive! Oh, and thtat DD is still really small, even at age 2. She's just petite. My first was 8lb4oz, second was 1/2 oz shy of 7lbs. Everyone is different!
#5 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 PM

I'm measuring 2 weeks behind after measuring pretty spot on for the rest of my pregnancy. However, I know the baby has dropped so none of us are worried. There is alot of dispute on how accurate fundal height is anyway. There are so many things it doesnt take into account.
#6 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 PM

I had the same issue at 33wks and now (at 37wks) baby is still small (5th percentile as per weekly u/s and we just got labeled "IUGR" . Everything else is perfect....cord, anatomy, placenta, fluid, my BP/Sugar, etc. MW isn't too concerned and just says we're having a small baby, but they want to continue with weekly u/s to make sure that baby continues to grow.

I am taking the MWs lead on this and trying not to stress about it. For what it's worth, I lost a bunch in the beginning and at 37 wks am just 4.5lbs above pre-pregnancy so they were concerned about that as well.

Maybe you are headed for a growth spurt, or you could have the u/s and baby could be right-on for growth.

Keep us posted!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#7 of 11 Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've been growing each week- sometimes ahead and sometimes behind, I guess she was just a tiny bit concerned because I hadn't grown this time. Honestly I'm not too worried, I know we'll have a small baby anyway and am guessing that's why. My weight gain has been good (haha, I guess), 28 pounds so far and I started out a few pounds under what I was "supposed" to be.

Anyway, I have my appointment on Monday and will let you all know then!

#8 of 11 Old 12-14-2007, 04:20 AM

I've been consistently ahead by 2 weeks with this pregnancy, but last time? : I found some books( sorta journals) I had written in for my last one, and I had some interesting numbers. One month I was 2 weeks ahead, next I was 1 behind, then we got to 1 week appointments and I was all over the place. Sooo, it could be positioning, how hydrated you are, or just bad measuring, kwim? I ended up gaining 30lbs total,btw.
Can't say that this time

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#9 of 11 Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Well I had my US on Monday- of course the tech can't tell you anything for sure, but she was amazingly friendly and went quickly- she didn't have to re-check or double check anything, which always makes me feel good. We were able to re-check that she is still a she (always a good thing) and got some amazing views of baby's face- eyes opening and closing, stuff like that. I haven't gotten my call from the MW either, which means things are fine Yipppeeeee!

#10 of 11 Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Erika,

Soo glad to hear your good news!!
#11 of 11 Old 12-19-2007, 12:55 PM

So happy to hear things are going well! I have my next u/s tomorrow and am hoping for some major growth!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page