Oh I forgot about my iron level - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2007, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And what about my iron level.....it was 10 something like a week ago and they recommended green leafy veggies which i already eat plus two iron pills one in the morn and one at night...

I cánt do the iron it makes me sick...i have been trying to eat more green leafy veggies...but dont know if its enough...

i mean 10 is not low but its maybe borderline I guess. could this cause a problem after birthing alone?

Otherwise everything else is normal so far.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 AM

10 is reasonable, though lower than they'd prefer it. 12 is what is usually recommended for a homebirth, though I believe that hemocrit is a better measure than hemoglobin.

There are other ways to get iron too - cook in cast iron, black strap molasses, floradix... I'd avoid the iron pills though. They aren't good for you. There are some food-based ones out there that don't have the side-effects, but they usually have to be ordered from a representative rather than purchased at a pharmacy or health food store.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 12-15-2007, 04:14 AM

floradix is great. it helps to drink some orange juice or other beverage high in C with it, as this helps with absorption.
the other suggestions are great as well. a Tbsp of blackstrap in the am and pm is wonderful for your iron, and yummy, too!
and, mmmmmm....rainbow chard....i could eat it every day. when you steam the leafies you can eat soo much more. and then toss with balsamic, or goddess, or umeboshi, yum.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 12-15-2007, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Is floradix something I can get from a pharmacy? And today i am gonna go looking for the blackstrap molasses....thanks.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Old 12-15-2007, 04:58 AM

I have floradix in a tablet form....but I have also got it in a liquid too....both are somewhat $$$ but well worth it. My midwife has had me take it along with more Alfalfa in my pregnancy tea to help buld my blood up for my upcoming birth-I tend to bleed quite a bit right after.

Anyways I highly suggest the floradix to everyone, it's full of so many wonderful herbs and natural iron.....if you can get it...do.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Okay, technically I'm a January mom, too, but I'm Jan 31, so I've mostly been hanging out in the February dc. Anyway, Floradix or Nature Works Herbal Iron are really good. I've always had problems with anemia, and with this pregnancy in particular (hyperemesis), I was very low. Started with the Floradix but switched to the NatureWorks Herbal Iron (it's a little cheaper) - my iron was at 11.9 at 29 weeks. So, give one of them a try. They don't constipate or hurt my stomach, and they work. Iron pills never have worked for me either. Good luck!

Tara
Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 AM

I had really low iron and started floradix. It is pretty pricey but soooo worth it for me. Usually I have awful constipation from iron supplements, but not at all with this. My iron is up to 13 now and I feel so much better.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
Old 12-15-2007, 07:09 PM

My iron trick has been eating iron fortified cereal (found yummy Organic-O's in my local grocery)....NO milk and chasing with some fruit or juice high in Vit C as it helps with absorption. You could even do Farina made with water, not milk. The dry cereal is a great snack to carry around and I totally crave it.

Last pregnancy I had to take the pills, this time the MW's are shocked at how great my levels are even though I don't eat any red meat (for some reason they blamed it on that last time ).

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 12-15-2007, 11:31 PM

My iron was 9.4 or something like that, and I really hit the iron-rich foods hard. Here's a recipe I've been enjoying (I'm over 11 now). :

Spinach Dahl

2 C lentils
6 C water
2 onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 can green chiles
1 can coconut milk
1 t curry
¼ t turmeric
½ t cumin
1 tbsp salt
1/8 t nutmeg
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles

Bring lentils and water to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are cooked to a thick puree.
Saute onions and garlic in olive oil. Add spinach and heat thoroughly then add to cooked lentils.
Add rest of ingredients and heat thoroughly. Serve with basmati rice.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

so i guess floradix is like an herb or something so i would go to a natural food store....?

and thanks for the recipe DoulaMT it sounds great cuz i love everything in it!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:19 PM

I have had iron woes myself this pregnancy. My hemoglobin was always fine, but my Ferritin levels were exceedingly low, and so was my energy. I felt like a sloth! Here are the things my ND had me doing:

Dr. Ron's liver capsules - or swallow frozen raw liver. I opted for the raw liver because I have some really good quality stuff in my freezer and it was the cheapest option. (freeze for 14 days first, and be sure it's organic.)

Floridix - My ND doesn't like it so well, but it did help me feel better, but my energy didn't last, and it didn't bump up my number.

Blackstrap molasis - be sure it's organic. I put it into every jar of tea I drank, and it tastes very good when you add a bit to soups & roasts.

Nettles - add some to your pregnancy tea mix

Chlorophyll - this is in the Nettles, but I'm adding in some extra. Don't overdo this, as it is a detoxifyer. Just take about 1 tsp. once or twice per day.

Eat lots of red meat, & other iron rich foods. There are 2 kinds of iron, and you need them both - from plant and meat sources. (non-heme and heme-sources)

Ultimately, I did all of that stuff and still ended up on iron shots : But, the shots are what finally helped me to feel better and got my numbers up.

Good luck!

User Tag List