Slow water leak? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure it is probably just her head butting my bladder, but thought I would get a vote on it.

My underwear has been moist all day long, first noticed it about 5ish AM, no big gushes, but just a stand up and dang it I need to change my underwear again, not soaked, just damp and annoying. No mucus, no white, just wet. No change between lying down/sitting, I just seem to notice it when I stand. Doesn't smell like urine to me, but I've been drinking so much water during the day that for the most part my urine comes out clear and odorless these days unless it is the first of the morning.

I remember reading a thread (can't remember which forum it was in) about a PH test you can get at any pharm store, should I bother? Something about your urine is in a certain range and if it is above or below that then it is broken water. Is this really true? Do those things really work? Where would I even look in the store for it? ctx have been consistantly irregular through the day, mostly 10 min, but not really regular and not that painful if at all. So I have a hard time believing it is anything but my bladder, but the wet underwear has been happening more frequently as the day as progressed.

??

One reason I think this might be a sign of things hapening is I just started leaking milk, which hasn't happened since I stopped BF DD 4-5 months ago.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#2 of 14 Old 12-15-2007, 08:06 PM

My best friend had a slow leak for several days before her first was born (I think it starte don Sunday, went into labor WEd. night, baby born Th. morning). It was considered a 'dry birth' and very painful. She slowly leaked all night, but durring the day baby's head would kinda stop it up. I would suggest at least going in and having it checked. You an get litmus paper to test pH levels if you want to try it at home, but I don't know how it works exactly. Don't let them do an exam on you, b/c if it IS your water, that will be introducing infection and bacteria into your vagina. Use just the litmus paper or a speculum. I've heard AF smells sweet, so maybe see what exactly it smells like?
#3 of 14 Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 PM

I had a slow leak for 2 days with kid1.

I NOTICED the water (wetness) but thought nothing of it. (tuesday)

Went in for my 38 week check on thursday. I indeed did have a ruptured bag, and drove myself to the hospital to be induced.

When in doubt, have it checked out!
#4 of 14 Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 PM

I'd go get checked out. Take the pads you've already leaked on with you.

Good luck!!
#5 of 14 Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

But here lies my problem, if the bag has broken and I go in they will put me on induction drugs, which is very important to me that I NOT be put on anything. Being put on pitocin alone will increase my likelyhood of a repeat c/s by 10%. I've read lots of women on here going a day or so w/o the real ctxs starting, so how long is safe to wait? So long as I don't go sticking anything up there I should be fine for at least a day right?

No pharm in my area carries the ph test, they are a special order and none would be in till sometime next week. So I did the next best thing and borrowed a ph strip from my parent's hottub stuff not exactly the same since it isn't a full range test, but it at least gave me an idea. Now I am searching for info on what it should be before and/or after the water breaks.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#6 of 14 Old 12-16-2007, 12:12 AM

I would try and get a good nights rest and go from there. Contractions will probably start sometime during the night if it is your water. If not, you can re-evaluate how you feel tomorrow. If it is your water, you will need to rest up for labor anyway!!
Katie
#7 of 14 Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Research didn't do me much good the test looked like a 6 and from the info I found it could be the water if between a 6-7, seven or above is a definate, so I still don't know anything, because 6 is the highest of normal. I think you are right, I'm leaking more already which is just stressing me out (DH wants to go in immediately if it is my waters) and making me tired. Maybe during the night I'll get that gush I keep hearing about or I'll dry out.

#8 of 14 Old 12-16-2007, 05:07 AM

Just wanted to share my experience: A few days before my edd with dd I noticed my panties were very wet, like you mentioned. It was pretty much how you described- no odor, no mucus, not white, just damp and wet. It was like this for about a day or two, when it suddenly dawned on me that this could be a slow leak. I started to get very worried, since I knew it had been this way for +24 hours. I called my OB who wanted me to go to the birthing center and have it checked to see if it was amniotic fluid. They tested the pad (no vaginal exams done) and it turned out to be negative, it was not a slow leak, just an increase in vaginal fluid. Whew, was I glad, because like you mentioned it was very important that I not be put on anything. However, after speaking with my OB, I felt it was best for me to go in and indeed find out if this was amniotic fluid or not.

The increased wetness continued and two days later during active labor my water did break- very different gush sensation.

I hope it is indeed increased fluid, I so wish someone would have told me that might happen I was pregnant with dd. This time I am prepared for that If you do go in, as pp mentioned, bring a used pad, as they can test that. Good luck Mama

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#9 of 14 Old 12-16-2007, 10:08 AM

If you happen to have a microscope one hand, you can use that, too. One from a child's science kit would be sufficient - 10x magnification. Amniotic fluid dries in a crystalline fern pattern when put on a slide. Here are directions and pictures of what positive and negative results look like.

Also, until you know for sure, keep on drinking! Your body won't stop making fluid, and if it is a slow leak you want to be replacing it. Best of luck!

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
#10 of 14 Old 12-16-2007, 03:08 PM

Honestly I think you should go in and find out for sure if it's a slow leak or not. My friend w/ the slow leak ended up w/ an infection and a baby in NICU (full term) b/c she had gone days w/ her water broke. As a side note, the did go in, they checked her and made a mess of things, the test was 'inconclusive' so they kept sending her home (she was 3 hours from the hospital, so more than likely by the time she got there, the baby's head had stopped up the leak, and all the water had dried, but she did have vag. exams on Sunday and Monday). She had a low-grade fever, so please if you decide not to go in, take your temp every 4 hours or so, and NOTHING inside you. If you start running a low-grade fever, go directly to the hospital. Chances are it's nothing, but if it IS something, you do need to get it taken care of. You don't want to be on IV abx and have a baby w/ an infection at birth, KWIM?

Best of luck, and plese keep us updated!
#11 of 14 Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM

I'm having similar concerns, I had a couple of small gushes on Tuesday and Wednesday that have since stopped. I found this thread really useful and informative when I was trying to decide what to do.

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

#12 of 14 Old 12-16-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to that thread! I'm actually feeling really crappy tonight and wondering if I'm getting sick. ctx are getting worse, but still not very consistant. Didn't leak as much this morning but more as the day has gone on. I'm really hoping the PP is right and its just increased vaginal fluid because I'm getting close, but this sick feeling is making me very upset and wondering if I should go ahead and go in tomorrow to get checked out. Then again I may just be feeling crappy cause my adrenaline got going today, i'm definately going to have to check my temp when I get home. Can't stress and an adrenaline rush cause a fever even hours after the fact, though?

#13 of 14 Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseoffred View Post
I found this thread really useful and informative when I was trying to decide what to do.
: That thread is great, some really good info!

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#14 of 14 Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM

Maybe you're next!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page