Another big 'un - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got back from my final ultrasound (had some previa probs so I had to have them!). Anyhow, I know measurements at this stage are hard to make and not very reliable, but this little girly is already 7.5 pounds! Did I mention I'm only 35w 5d? My first kiddo was 10.4 at birth so I was fully expecting another big one, but I didn't have any ultrasounds with him so it was a total surprise. Now that I know she's "larger than usual" I'm getting all sorts of anxious about the birth. My husband's idea of kind words of encouragement "Your tears healed fine last time so you don't have anything to worry about." Right. Except the fact that that's my body tearing, um, yeah.

Ugh. Just anxious I guess.
#2 of 7 Old 12-17-2007, 04:04 PM

I know how you feel. We make big babies also. And not one problem with shoulder dystocia either!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#3 of 7 Old 12-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Ah heck, maybe you won't tear at all this time! Your body went through it once, it might just stretch more this time.
I tore with my dd too, and would like to avoid it this time. Just have to use all the tools at our disposal, I guess. :

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#4 of 7 Old 12-18-2007, 02:04 PM

I understand and have your same concerns. I didn't have quite as big of a baby, he was only 9.1 but I tore really bad 3rd degree..and it took FOREVER to heal. I am a small person...when I am not pregnant. I was even told by my first OB that I couldn't deliever much over 6lb b/c my pelvis was too small. ( Thank goodness I changed Doc's) I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago b/c my measurements were so off. Its looking like another big one...so as we get closer I worry as well. I am just going to try not to push like I did w/ DS. I am going to listen to my body a little better rather than pushing so hard. I have a friend who just recently had a homebirth I was able to attend and she took her midwives advice and only gave little pushes until babys head was crowning. It only took her 3 good pushes. She did tear a little but healed very quickly. Not sure if that helps at all ....but it is what I am going to try to do differently this time.
#5 of 7 Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaT View Post
I am just going to try not to push like I did w/ DS. I am going to listen to my body a little better rather than pushing so hard. I have a friend who just recently had a homebirth I was able to attend and she took her midwives advice and only gave little pushes until babys head was crowning. It only took her 3 good pushes. She did tear a little but healed very quickly. Not sure if that helps at all ....but it is what I am going to try to do differently this time.
Thanks so much for the advice! I had a highly medicated/doc directed birth last time so I guess I hadn't really factored in yet the difference that will be made when I actually am aware of what is going on! I actually feel quite relieved now. I will know what is going on this time and I will have a bit of control over how this baby is born! Thanks!
#6 of 7 Old 12-18-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaT View Post
I understand and have your same concerns. I didn't have quite as big of a baby, he was only 9.1 but I tore really bad 3rd degree..and it took FOREVER to heal. I am a small person...when I am not pregnant. I was even told by my first OB that I couldn't deliever much over 6lb b/c my pelvis was too small. ( Thank goodness I changed Doc's) I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago b/c my measurements were so off. Its looking like another big one...so as we get closer I worry as well. I am just going to try not to push like I did w/ DS. I am going to listen to my body a little better rather than pushing so hard. I have a friend who just recently had a homebirth I was able to attend and she took her midwives advice and only gave little pushes until babys head was crowning. It only took her 3 good pushes. She did tear a little but healed very quickly. Not sure if that helps at all ....but it is what I am going to try to do differently this time.
: i could have written that whole post above - same size baby, i'm also small, was directed to push last time and pushed too much (don't plan on doing it that way this time), also with a 3rd degree tear. and i'm pretty certain this baby is going to be 9 lbs or over, which does worry me sometimes, but not others.

i understand the fears about birthing a big baby. i'm hoping that since my body has done it once, this time things will go more smoothly. and now that i know the difference between feeling like pushing and being told to push... that's going to make a difference too, i hope! i've also read/been told that certain positions can help us not tear. on all fours, side-lying, and squats that aren't too deep are all supposed to be associated with fewer tears than on the back and deep squatting.

good luck to all of us birthing our big babies! once they're out it's nicer that they're big isn't it? i think we end up with less worry about their growth, and they tend to sleep more than smaller babies.
#7 of 7 Old 12-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Sounds like we had similar experiences Zenma!

I agree...once they are out, It is SO>>>>nice to have a larger baby. I can't imagine having a 6 or 7lb baby after having a 9. I didn't have to worry about growth at all w/ DS and he did sleep pretty well once we figured out what he liked and didn't like. For example he hated being on his back....and had an intolerance to gluten and dairy....once we figured that out he usually only got up once in the night for a feeding.

Be confident that you will do fine! I am trying to be and hoping as well that since my body has done this once b/f it will handle it a little better this time around!
Best wishes!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page