Are you sticking close to home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or just going about business as usual? I'm now 38 weeks and feeling like I should probably stay home.... but I'm soooooo bored! Trying to convince my hubby to take me out for dinner tonight while we can still get out of the house.

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#2 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 04:38 PM

I'm just about 37 weeks, and staying home more due to lack of transportation. But this weekend, as long as my doc gives the ok, I will be traveling about 3 hours to do Christmas with DH's family. The way I see it, it's going to happen when it happens. I'm not going to stop my life til it does.
#3 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 04:46 PM

Stay within a certain range if it makes you more comfortable. Like maybe 5 miles, or 10. Do what you feel is comfortable. I pretty much stay close to home anyways. I'm hibernating nowadays!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#4 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM
g&a

Get out now, while you can. Enjoy these last weeks with no baby here yet. Go on LOTS of dates. Probably flying is a bad idea, or road trips, but anything else is fair game.

Unless you feel like hibernating, then do that. It is the middle of winter in the northern hemisphere, after all.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#5 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 05:08 PM

I am staying close to home. Once the first niggly contraction of labor happens for me..I typically only have 2 hours until the birth. I don't know what would happen if labor started by my water actually breaking because it has always been followed by a head. I don't want a Walmart (or ..insert other germy public place) baby.

Mama to my tribe
#6 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Find out your insurance rules too -- some companies won't cover out of network emergency birth if you were more than X miles from home.
#7 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM

DH would go absoluately insane if we stayed close to home. As it is we're on weekly appts to the OB in the city (2 hrs away) so close to the hospital at least, lol!

However, I was thinking yesterday that DH had better get ON THE BALL if he wants to do any snowmobiling this winter b/c another 2 weeks and I will not be thrilled at the idea of him being on top of a mountain and unreachable. I won't be driving myself 2 hours to Billings, so it would have to be a totally unplanned UC hba2c And let me also say there will be no leaving Mommy w/ a newborn, 2yo and 4yo for Daddy to go play in the snow, either!

Poooooor DH!
#8 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 PM

We're going to my uncle's house on Sunday (1.5 hrs from here), but after that, no out-of-town trips. And Sunday is completely weather- and baby-dependant. We aren't promising anything to anybody - that way we can always bail if I'm just too tired to go.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#9 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Business as usual here.
#10 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 PM

I'm now 37w4d and I've pretty much been "business as usual". I stopped working a few weeks back and have been spending the days running errands, mainly within 20 minutes of the house. We spend a lot of our weekends at my parents house (an hour away) and that hasn't changed. On occasion, I have actually driven there for the day and have felt fine about it.

I'm not sure I would venture much more than that distance on my own though. I am planning to go see my grandfather for lunch and he's about 1h15m away, but my brother will be with me.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#11 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 PM

I drive 30 min. to work and back again, but that's been my longest trek since Thanksgiving. Friday's my last day though, which is good because babe has dropped and I'm having a hard time getting around. My MW and most of my errands are within 25 min. or so from the house.

wife to DH since 10/03, mama to DS (12/07)
also mom to small zoo: 3 snakes, 4 and one very lovable pit bull
#12 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My dh's father died on Friday and I'm 36 wks, driving 1.5 hrs each way to go to the in-laws for mourning, funeral prep, service, etc. It's been ridiculous and hectic, but has to be done. Last night I thought I was in labour but it quieted down after 2 hrs. My midwives agreed that it was important for me and us to be with family right now. If I end up going into labour while we're out of town, I'll just have to go to the hospital there but at least our doula lives in that same city! So she'd be there! Next week is Xmas so from then on we'll stay close to the city.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#13 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 10:24 PM

i'm going on a 7 hour (each way) road trip on thursday. will return on monday. DH is driving. i figure there are hospitals on the way. my older sister (our end point destination) is a midwife - so i'm fine once i'm there. plus, i'll only be 36 weeks on friday. i had my other kids at 38 and 39 weeks, so i figure i have a few weeks to go. might as well see family now.

7 hours is a longish drive...but we'll make lots of bathroom stops and i can get some last-minute knitting done!
#14 of 26 Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 PM

i've never stayed close to home near the end with any baby. i'll be 35 weeks tomorrow, so if she's anything like the other two, i've still got a good 4-5 weeks. my dd's preschool is 30 minutes away, and the grocery store 45minutes. we frequent those places regularly, lol.

target is the closest thing at 10mi/20min, so sticking too close is really not an option, especially with dh deployed.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#15 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 12:36 AM

Im actually traveling MORE often than normally... DH is living in Jacksonville while we are still in Ocoee until he gets our old house ready for us to move in.. (install a new backdoor that the tenant busted out, have people install new carpet, get the carpets cleaned, touch up paint, change the locks, and deep deep deep clean the place lol)... He left yesterday (Sun) and I will be driving up with the kids on Christmas Eve so we can spend Christmas Eve with his family in Jax... then we are picking up his dad and sister and bringing them down to Orlando on Christmas Eve evening to do Christmas Day down here with my family.. then the next day, Im driving them all back to Jacksonville and coming back to Orlando...

Im taking DS on Saturday to Epcot for the Candlelight Processional that Edward James Olmos is reading.. hes doing it in English and Spanish and DS is Mexican and I think hes finally old enough to respect the whole thing lol.. so we are gonna go do that just the 2 of us...

New Years Eve, DH is driving down here and my parents are watching the kids for us to do the Magic Kingdom (yes, I will probably end up renting a wheelchair that day LMAO)

We are moving to Jacksonville on Jan 12 (at least thats the projected date that dh thinks he will have it ready by).. so moving then, and then driving back to Orlando that following Monday (14th) to pick up the kids from my parents. and then driving back to Jax that night lol..

all the while, Im due Jan 24, and this is my 4th kid.. sooooo plans could change at any point lol.
#16 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 01:29 AM

Business as usual here. Especially now that I feel good. After being sick for 5 weeks I am like a new woman now that the illness has passed. Woohoo!

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#17 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 AM

sorry I posted twice....my silly post written from a pregnant brain is below....
#18 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 AM

And I have been another one the "staying close to home mamas"......today I went five miles and worried that I had gone too far. It just felt weird to be that far from home! Thank goodness I live in the city at the moment and the nearest store is a block away......I don't know what I would do living 15min from the nearest store......not I don't love the country I totally do ..... now I am starting to
#19 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 02:49 AM

Business as usual here too. But we really can't drive too far...after a few hours, you will loop back around the island and arrive where you started

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#20 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
....today I went five miles and worried that I had gone too far.
REALLY? you are all making me feel funny about driving 600 miles away this weekend .

in all seriousness, what could happen 5 miles away from home that worries some of you? i must be missing something...
#21 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb122 View Post
REALLY? you are all making me feel funny about driving 600 miles away this weekend .

in all seriousness, what could happen 5 miles away from home that worries some of you? i must be missing something...
Yes exactly! What on earth could happen 5 miles from home? Not a whole I don't think.....it's the feeling that I just....need.... to.... stay home. It has nothing to do with being scared that something could happen like going into labor 5 miles away, it's just part of my nesting I think........
#22 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 02:06 PM

oh, okay, that makes me feel better .

i don't have the nesting bug yet. maybe after xmas is over...
#23 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well we did manage to get out for dinner last night and it was soooo good! I'm just not going anywhere by myself now, just in case. We live 25 minutes out of town, so I'd hate for my water to break or something while I was out. My husband is off work as of Thursday, so that'll be a big help!

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#24 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM

I wish I could just hibernate, but I can't; still working and even if I weren't still working, DD would lose her little mind stuck in the house with me.

My office is only about 5 miles away, but I have my mw appts. which are an hour away and which I generally go to by myself. I think I'm going to my SIL's house sometime this week for my nephew's birthday, which is an hour away or so, depending on traffic...but I might just send DH and DD with his present. It's just uncomfortable to be in the car right now, you know?

Our family is being really understanding and we are staying HOME for Christmas; in fact, my BIL is cooking and bringing us food And DH's family is going to come have dinner with us. We'll see my parents on Christmas Eve (they live five minutes away) and my brother and his wife are going to come visit us after Christmas (maybe that weekend) so that I don't have to go ANYWHERE. :

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#25 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 PM

I am taking my 2 youngest kids back to kansas to have christmas with family and to pick up my older son who has been there since thanksgiving. I dont want to be here by myself with the 2 youngest for 2 weeks while school is out. I could stay in for 2 weeks but I can keep the kids cooped up like that and its too much work and stress to take them out in public if there isnt a shopping cart to confine them to!!! So we are going on a 7 hour road trip and I will have 2 weeks to rest up for the 7 hour trip back to iowa!!
Angela
#26 of 26 Old 12-18-2007, 07:28 PM

I'm a homebody anyway.. but Ive been feeling like Im ready to start hunkering in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page