Is Valerian Root safe during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having some trouble falling/staying asleep at night to the point where I just keep staying up later and later and later every day. Now it's 8:30a and I'm still staring at my monitor.

My midwife talked about Valerian Root and how it's safe during pregnancy but can be a little too effective (she told a story about a few clients who took it before bed and slept so hard they didn't wake up to pee... so they wet the bed!).

I keep trying to look on the Internet, but haven't been able to come up with anything definitive about its safety. Does anyone have any ideas/links/knowledge to share?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#2 of 3 Old 01-02-2008, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have used valerian root in the past when not pregnant and found it effective. I have never used it during pregnancy and am sorry, have no links for you. I don't recall it having that doping effect on me of not being able to wake to pee. Ahh give it a try and just put a waterproof backed pad under your bedsheets on your side. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the links you were requesting.

FWIW - the sleep issues are abound here too. I think it's the body preparing to be up nursing all night when prolactin levels are the highest. When baby comes in the beginning they feed every 1-3 hrs so your sleep cycle is NOT expected to be as it was prior to having babies. You ARE going to be getting up all night and sleeping all wonky around the clock in the first little while. But it will pass. Just my two cents.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#3 of 3 Old 01-02-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply! I'll try to call around today and see what I can find out.

I'm reassured that you found it effective.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page