Daily check-in thread for 1/4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I'm up in the middle of the night, with contractions that subside as soon as I sit up... how's it going today?

With a due date one day away, and days of off/on contractions, I'm in limbo-land. My bag is packed for laborland, but I can't seem to catch a ride there I am learning patience and think the waiting isn't too awful so far.

I had a midwife appt yesterday. I see a group of CNMs who are awesome. They have one OB/GYN on staff, and yesterday was my day with her. She's ok, but it definitely more medicalized in her approach. Where some of the CNMs would be very positive about my declining a VE, she pressed me about why and tried to sell me on one. No thank you! (I can understand why some mamas opt for VEs, but I'm super shy of one, for a few reasons, and would especially have a hard time if I ended up with an accidental membrane stripping. Which I didn't even mention as a concern to her, because I knew it would feel like a point of debate/pride. I just said I didn't want to get my hopes up falsely - another true concern for me.)

Anyway... she's got the next three days off, I found out through chitchat, and that's a relief, because she won't be the one on call if I birth w/in the next three days. All the other midwives have been especially awesome this pregnancy, and have made statements that are clearly supportive of my decision making. We've had intelligent exchanges, and they've provided a lot of information in the way of informed consent that I wasn't even expecting. Even the OB/GYN has been helpful, and I feel like I'm going into this birth in a more powerful place than I was with dd.

My affirmations:
We have no need to hurry.
My dd will be well taken care of while I labor (I stole this from someone who posted yesterday - it took me awhile to realize that, despite my many laid plans, this has been my biggest concern and now it's time to trust all of those plans and my awesome support system.)
#2 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 AM

I'm also up a little late, and glad to see this thread. Hooray for Zenma!

Tomorrow (Saturday) I'll be full-term.

Really trying to hunker down and prepare my brain for what my body will just somehow know how to do.

Being a first-timer, I've read about all the signs of labor, but I'm still worried I won't recognize them or ever really be sure. I'm worried I won't get to have my peaceful home birth. And more than anything, I'm still paranoid that the baby won't make it out OK for some reason.

So, it's time for some affirmations (stolen from here):
Quote:
I will have a strong and healthy baby
I trust my body to know how to birth this child
I am a strong and capable woman
My body knows how to birth my baby

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#3 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 AM

I am up entirely too late tonight. I have to run errands in the morning and can't get out of them, which means I have to get up at 8. It is 5:25 right now. But, I got the play yard tonight which is what the baby will be sleeping in next to my bed (the bassinet part) so I wanted to put it up. That lead to me needing to get some laundry done as I also finally found an outfit to take her home in. I still have more cleaning to do but I'm so tired and I know I need to sleep. Last night I was up so long that I felt like I was drunk today. I'm hoping that I can get my errands done quickly and then come home and get a quick nap before my appointment with my midwife.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#4 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 AM

MW appt today. sleeping was on/off. feeling nesty!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#5 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Good morning! I had an appt yesterday and learned that my GBS test was negative! Yay! I'm so glad I don't have to be on abx (I was + and on abx during DS's birth).

Affirmations: I have prepared my body, mind, and spirit for my baby's safe and healthy birth!

As I look forward to my baby's birth, I take one day at a time. I am calm. Whenever Baby is born, it will be the right time.
#6 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM

I am still here. Last night everytime I turned over or got up I had a BH : Of course I woke up this morning by having a horrible nightmare....and crying Hopefully I won't have anymore ....

Affirmations:

My body contains all the knowledge necessary to give birth to my baby.

Birth is a safe and wonderful experience.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#7 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Good morning all! 39+ and nothing interesting to report. I feel like I may be here a very long time still (at least in the mind of someone who is 9 months pregnant!!)
Katie
#8 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 AM

I'm having pretty strong contractions again today. Hopefully they'll go somewhere!!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#9 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM

well, many thanks to DH, i was able to exercise earlier in the night and actually got a decent amount of sleep. i feel pretty good today!

not sure what we will do today- my "to do" list is still pretty long, so i should pick away at that.

anyway, gotta get bfast on the table.

no exciting pregnancy symptoms to speak of. and i'm totally ok with that.

affirmation- my body knows what to do and when.

later,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#10 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM

Zenma- had to laugh when you said you are all packed but can't catch a ride to laborland. My second was 11 days late and I felt like maybe I had missed the bus or something.

momonthebeach- I feel the same way! Maybe I am just in denial or something but I just don't feel close.

I'm here and happy. Back to my normal, non sick, giddy pregnant self. And very happy its Friday. I think I might pack a bag today, just for kicks, I've never packed a bag pre-labor before. Also wanting some brownies...mmm. (Weight gain what?) Um, need to finish off this mountain of laundry and would really like to get a few things for the babe this weekend. I have boobs and diapers so really I have everything I need but I saw a pack and play at Target with a high changing table on clearance so I would like to pick that up. I remember bending over to change #2 killed my back the first month or so until my muscles snapped back into consciousness. I was also thinking about getting a baby book for footprints in the hospital. I had one with the other two but I am ubber picky about baby books so it will involve a trip to Hallmark which means either duct taping the boys hands together or having dh watch them while I run in.

Yep, definitely giddy and talkative again.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#11 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Still pregnant, still really itchy... I'm 39 weeks tomorrow, and I'm slowly accepting that this babe has her own schedule. I'm losing gobs of birth cork, so I'm still hoping for a before-EDD arrival, but really, I will be happy as long as I am not induced like last time. I told my doc that if I were scheduled to be induced, I would run away and hide in a cave rather than go through it all again.

I'm a little bummed that because I am GBS+, I can't labour at home after my water breaking. And my doc is concerned that, as my "real" labour last time as so short (5 hours from 3cm to birth) I shouldn't be lingering anyway. So I will be fighting to have as natural a hospital birth as possible--and hoping that I won't get caught up in the "too long since ROM" trap and end up on pit.

My affirmation for today: My DD will not resent her new sibling, I will love this new babe as much as the last one, and I can handle having 2 children under 2.

I realised that the reality of being a family of four is freaking me out more than pushing this babe out. So I'm hoping to make peace with it so as not to inhibit labour.

Andrea in NS-- DD March 06, EDD 13 Jan 08
#12 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Still around, too. And I'm either 3 days overdue, or still have 3 days to go... Two options, both of which suck. I'm truly - truly - ready to have this baby.
Had another prenatal with the mw today, everything's fine and dandy, now all we have to do is wait (haha). Some veeeeeery mild contractions every now and then, but that's about it. Doesn't look like this baby will come out anytime soon... *grmbl*

zenma ~ Sending you lots of labour vibes so you'll get to avoid the stupid CNM. :
To-Fu ~ You'll know. Believe me.
zahirakids ~ Oh yes, the BH. Isn't it fun? Ugh.
silkiemum ~ Birth cork! *rofl* Made of win.

Mama with babyboy.gif (2005), babyboy.gif (2008) & babygirl.gif (2010)

#13 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Morning everyone

38 weeks, 2 days and I'm still here. Baby's head was really low at my appt last night, and my uterus was down to 36cm (it was at 37.5 last week). This morning, my belly is visibly lower, and I'm not getting any cervix shots/low movement. All this leads me to believe I've got a fully engaged head in there.

What a lovely thing to be able to breathe again :

Pretty nasty that I had to trade off the ability to walk for the ability to breathe, though :

I'm not really traditionally nesting right now. So far, I've been wanting to bake, bake, bake (DD and I made toffee the other night. It's yummy, but I didn't cook it quite long enough...so its color is off and it's a mite chewier than it should be ). Also, I'm really focused on getting things done at work (DH and I own our own business), I've been bringing things home with me, etc. And finally, majority of my nesting energy is going towards helping prepare DD and getting her all set up for sibling's arrival.

She seems to be looking forward to it so far. So different to be pregnant with a little girl to look after, too. My last pregnancy was just all about ME in my mind, but this one is so much more about her.

So, to those who are afraid they'll never know they're in labor: You'll know. I know how that sounds, and I hated hearing it too. I was always like "Fine, but HOW will I know?" : But really, you'll just KNOW. I knew from the first contraction with DD that I was in labor, even though my mw was like "Well, it might be early labor, or it might not be, it's too early to tell right now" I said "Get ready. I'm in labor." And I had backlabor, which is supposed to be harder to tell if it's real or not.

My best friend had prodromal labor for weeks....contractions for HOURS at a time, good strong regular contractions, that would just fizzle out. But she woke up one morning at 4:30 and said "I'm in labor!" : She just KNEW.

I wish I could explain it. But please trust yourself. You WILL know.

Okay, I need to get some office stuff done and then I'm thinking of going home early to get some home stuff done, if I can.

"Birth cork" nearly knocked me on my ass I was laughing so hard :

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#14 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM

happymomma: I'm thinking about picking up a Pack-N-Play too. It just seems really strange not owning anything other than my bed for the baby to sleep in. A neighbor is supposed to be loaning me her Amby Hammock but she hasn't brought it over yet. Anyone used one of those before?

SharonAnne: Just call it Toffamel! I'm sure it's delicious.

*vegetarians avert thine eyes*
I had a great night of sleep except that I had this elaborate dream about cooking fried chicken so I woke up this morning desperately wanting fried chicken and creamy pan gravy over rice. Not a chance on earth I'm going to be able to get that today. Dangit. I want the kind that you soak in buttermilk over night, coat in heavily seasoned flour then fry in an old cast iron pan. Good Southern food. Mmmmm. *sigh*

Anyway, no progress here. Anyone else have a giant bump on the side where baby is jabbing their feet out? I can practically grab hold of a foot sometimes. Cracks me up when I'm not squealing from it hurting.
#15 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM

chavelah, yes, i have that exact sensation/pain/delight of the foot out my side. i know the baby's head is down, but i can't for the life of me figure out how the baby is contorted in there. there's little "mama" in the way of feeling the baby (if ykwim), i just can't make sense out of the limbs that seem to poke me all over. and those jabs are getting REALLY painful. it's cute to feel the feet trying to stretch out all up in my ribcage, but sometimes it really hurts my already-extended uterus.

but on the other hand, feeling a little foot sticking all-up-in-my-peace is a neat little reminder that what i'm carrying in my womb is actually a little person and not just a gigantic brick.

hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#16 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 01:04 PM

Morning everyone!

I'm excited to report I had some show this morning. I'm 39 weeks today. I know it could still be a while, but it's nice to know that things are progressing.

I called DH at work to tell him, and was instructed to go on bedrest so he doesn't miss the birth. Silly husband thinking that mere gravity can stop a baby when it's ready to be born.

Well, I'm off to eat pineapple and drink some RRL tea. Can't hurt, right?

BTW, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one up all night!
#17 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 01:17 PM

Hi ladies! Officially 40wks1d today and we just got back from the MW. I was on the monitors for about 15m and the baby looks great. They caught a few contractions (so at least I know that they are really happening) and baby was fine. Still 80% effacted but almost dilated to 2cm. Baby's head is lower as well. MW told me I am "ripe" so I'm hoping for this weekend when she is on call. Had a great discussion about Hypnobirthing and she is so on board.

Dh is working from home today so we are planning to go out to lunch. I never left the house yesterday for my pedicure so I may try to get it today.

Mom is coming to spend the weekend so we are all looking forward to that. Planning to DTD tonight to try and get things going.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

Affirmations:
I surrender my preconceived notions and accept that my labor and baby's birth will happen perfectly.
I trust my body. It is strong, healthy and was created to give life.
I trust that I have support and will not be alone.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#18 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Wow, I was amazed to see 16 replies to this thread so early in the morning! (Although I am on the West Coast, so most of you are further along in your day).

No change in how I feel today, 40+1. I wanted to buy some fresh pineapple yesterday, but the store was all sold out! I'm going to go again today - dd loves pineapple and will happily share it with me.

My affirmation: My body knows how to birth this baby by itself, as long as I give it the time it needs.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#19 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 PM

well i know that i am really setting myself up for something that is probably not going to happen for a few more weeks. i had a few contractions in the middle of the night the other night, and i have had mild ones since about 5am today. i have said for a really long time that i thought this one would come around 38 weeks, but i guess it is stupid to think that you would know. i'm sort of mad at myself for thinking that because 38 weeks will probably come and go and i will be really disappointed. i have been really really nesty for a long time now. cleaning organizing making stuff. my sister and her son are coming to visit tonight and i'm spending all day today re-cleaning the house for the nine millionth time. it actually needs it though. i can't believe how dirty a house can get with just a few people living in it. ds insists on trashing the living room with all his toys, and we don't really have anywhere else for him to play so we just sort of constantly live in the midst of toy cars and trains. he just got an easle for christmas so tonight we are setting it up in the living room as well.

i really wont this baby born this week because of dh's work schedule and what not but it is obviously not up to us to decide. i have also become increasingly worried about something happening to the baby which i haven't worried about in several months. now i feel like if i don't worry then something terrible will happen. like i have to plan out all the bad scenarios so that they wont happen.

i will have this baby and whenever and whatever happens will be the best thing for my family.
#20 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post

*vegetarians avert thine eyes*
I had a great night of sleep except that I had this elaborate dream about cooking fried chicken so I woke up this morning desperately wanting fried chicken and creamy pan gravy over rice. Not a chance on earth I'm going to be able to get that today. Dangit. I want the kind that you soak in buttermilk over night, coat in heavily seasoned flour then fry in an old cast iron pan. Good Southern food. Mmmmm. *sigh*
so funny! i was raised vegetarian and was totally vegan pretty much till i got pregnant with my son.. since then ive been eating a bit of organic meat, but lately all i want is friend chicken i dont think ive ever even had real southern friend chicken, but i want it! can i come over and it fried chicken with you?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#21 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
so funny! i was raised vegetarian and was totally vegan pretty much till i got pregnant with my son.. since then ive been eating a bit of organic meat, but lately all i want is friend chicken i dont think ive ever even had real southern friend chicken, but i want it! can i come over and it fried chicken with you?
Heck yeah. I'll even cook up a mess of collard greens so that there can be a token veggie on the plate.

*sigh* Not having a car (or money at the moment for that matter) sucks particularly when it comes to food cravings.
#22 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post
Heck yeah. I'll even cook up a mess of collard greens so that there can be a token veggie on the plate.

*sigh* Not having a car (or money at the moment for that matter) sucks particularly when it comes to food cravings.

i friggin love collard greens! how about mashed potatoes too!

eta: then there is the problem of me being in canada..
but will you give me your recipe???

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#23 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Howdy y'all!

40+1 here, and nothing is happening yet. Had appt w/ MW yesterday, who told me she was a little surprised I hadn't had the baby yet. She was basing this on my huge tummy and my extreme waddle! Yesterday my mindset was all "oh, the further away from Christmas, the better." Last night, I was praying hard for the baby to just COME OUT!! I'm just in a lot of pain & misery, like many of us here. It's nice to know I'm not alone! But really, we NEED the baby to come out sometime by next weekend. I don't want DH to miss the birth, or taking care of us for the following week before he leaves town.
#24 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM

Howdy neighbor! (Pilgrim) I've always pictured snow flurries in the weather when I'm laboring, so when I saw the potential for snow in the forecast on Monday-Tuesday next week I warned DH just in case. I still feel like this babe wants to hang out for another week at least, but we'll see. We're bringing the birth tub in off our porch today and getting the plastic and everything all set up so all we have to do is hook up the hose and fill it when I'm in labor.

I'm with those of you who've felt like birth is this thing to happy way off in the future. It's really hard to wrap my mind around it happening ANY time now. I'm starting to get myself a little more mentally prepared....it's hard. I'm not sure how much you really CAN prepare now that I'm staring it in the face.

I will birth my baby peacefully into my waiting arms.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#25 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 PM

Nothing at all to report here. I am headed to the mw in a few minutes, but she is pretty hands-off, so it will probably be a very quick appt.

We have been dtd every other night...but I just feel so huge and comfortable positions are hard to find. Any ideas? I am really grateful dh is able and willing. Even though he is beat at night, he knows it is important to me, that I am fighting impatience, and he wants to help.

I'd be thrilled to see some of my mucus plug! I keep expecting to see it, but nothing yet!

There is no rush for my baby to be born.
I will let go of all of my control issues surrounding this baby's birth.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#26 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM

Last night the weirdest thing happened. My body kept feeling all anxious and nervous. I thought I was going to be sick. I couldn't sit down, I couldn't move around. I just felt all out of sorts. Dh was fully convinced I was going to go into labour last night. I finally got to sleep and actually had a good night's rest. First time in a few months! AND, I only got up once to pee! Weee!

But now that weird nervous feeling has returned. Ugh.

I'm 37w, and ready to be done. Just about everything is ready. Although, yesterday as I was tidying up the baby's room, I noticed that the basinet (loaned to me from my SIL) has mold growing in it. I can't put a newborn baby in a moldy Moses basket! It's not safe for us to co-sleep. Maybe I'll convince dh to set the crib up in our room.

My affirmation:

I can will this baby out. Labour will bend to my will.
#27 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_y_sol View Post
We have been dtd every other night...but I just feel so huge and comfortable positions are hard to find. Any ideas? I am really grateful dh is able and willing. Even though he is beat at night, he knows it is important to me, that I am fighting impatience, and he wants to help.
Warning: Graphic description of sex positions/acts follow, in the interest of describing how to invite the onset of labor.

Have you tried lying on your left side with him behind you? (Sort of spooning?) Or even on your hands and knees with him behind you? (Hands and knees is a position my MW and Bradley instructor suggest for relieving back pain anyway... and even for laboring!)

I also read something interesting at GentleBirth.org yesterday about the most effective way to get those prostaglandins working:

Quote:
About fellatio: Actually, it would probably be beneficial, if the idea is to get the labour started. A great OB in Hamilton (John Lamont, I believe) spoke to our class about sexuality and pregnancy. He mentioned the concept that prostaglandins are absorbed 10X more efficiently through the gut than through the vaginal mucosa, with respect to semen and labour onset.
I'm not sure how you feel about that, but thought I'd throw it out there. You can read more suggestions for natural induction here.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#28 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
About fellatio: Actually, it would probably be beneficial, if the idea is to get the labour started. A great OB in Hamilton (John Lamont, I believe) spoke to our class about sexuality and pregnancy. He mentioned the concept that prostaglandins are absorbed 10X more efficiently through the gut than through the vaginal mucosa, with respect to semen and labour onset.
I asked my midwife about that theory when I was pregnant with my first. She laughed and said it MUST have been a man who dreamt that up. That said, I was induced with Cervidil with my first. We went home to hang out and wait for labour to start. Nothing was happening, so we gave it a shot. Contractions started within an hour. Could have been the Cervidil, could have been the bj, who knows. We were both pleased either way.
#29 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Bear View Post
We were both pleased either way.
Thanks for this!!! I have been feeling pretty crabby this afternoon and this made me LOL!!!
Katie
#30 of 54 Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Bear View Post
I asked my midwife about that theory when I was pregnant with my first. She laughed and said it MUST have been a man who dreamt that up. That said, I was induced with Cervidil with my first. We went home to hang out and wait for labour to start. Nothing was happening, so we gave it a shot. Contractions started within an hour. Could have been the Cervidil, could have been the bj, who knows. We were both pleased either way.
laughup Well, someone was pleased :
Ahem..anyway....
Things are doing well here. Today would have been my EDD. AS much as I as happy to have Rhiannon here, I really wish I could have been in labor today. She's just starting to be as alert as Shekinah was when she was born, and the nursing issues we have been having are just starting to resolve. I knew we would have some problems if she was born early, I'm just glad they aren't too bad. Could be worse, I guess Sigh, I guess she's just going to be the baby I worry about the most.
On the flip side, she is her fathers child Shekinah looks alot like me, Rhiannon looks like her father. Its going to be interesting to see what they both look like when they get older.
Its so exciting to pop on here and see all of you ladies in labor or giving birth! Its very nice to see the new babies, and I can't wait until we are on the otherside, cheering about being able to bend over

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page