Daily Check-In for 1/10 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
38+4 today...

Woke up with real sore pain in my right hip...I think I slept funny on it. That and the stretching to prepare for baby thing that my pelvis is doing. I feel a little better now, but it's been sore all day so far. I still have SO much house cleaning to do...and I'm starting to stress again. My husband is just a master of NON-maintanence of a space. He could mess up a clean room in less than 5 minutes and not even notice.
It makes things harder. I get so little done in the day now compared to what I could do before. I have to rest more and I hurt more. I'm still not used to these limitations! At least later, there will be a baby keeping me busy..not just the "I physically can't bend anymore" problem!
Argh.

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Was up till 4am with a sore tooth. It's feeling somewhat better today. Last night I shocked my DH by saying how badly I wanted to give birth so that I could go to the dentist.

DH forgot to pay the gas bill this month, a fact I discovered after attempting to start dinner only to have the oven do nothing. Of all the months for him to forget it. No hot water, no stove/oven, no heat until sometime tomorrow. Argh! I just hope I don't go into labor tonight since someone has to be here to let the gas guy in the basement to turn things back on. Luckily it's not cold right now.

I had to take my older daughter a change of clothes up to school and the walk set off more crampy contractions that don't really seem to do much but irritate me. I'm taking my irrational grumpiness as an indicator that this baby is about ready to come out.

Sending out Good Labor Wishes to everyone who is currently getting their labor on! Rock on with your bad selves.
#33 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 04:58 PM

oh gosh, chavaleh, i am so sorry about the gas. that must be such a pain right now. at least it happened on a day that you weren't in full-blown labor (though it sounds like you're close!) or holding a crying newborn or anything. (not that being so pregnant helps us cope with the little [or big!] things)

my kids are doing somewhat better. none of the hours-long wakefests anymore- they leave their beds and resettle in ours around 1030-11ish at night. they're awake a lot fussing and coughing through the night, but they do manage to fall back asleep, so that's good.

i can tell the ear infections are clearing up. they seem a lot less crabby at bedtime. so hurrah for that. the nasal discharge is insane, though. i am constantly wiping noses. i would probably be lazier about it, except that if i don't catch it right away, they smear it all over their hands, and then it's everywhere. ick.

i'm finally getting my diapers prepped. hope to pack for the hospital later today. i have been such a terrible procrastinator this time around. (i know that deep down inside, i don't want to have to go to the hospital at all!) some of me likes to think that my procrastination is a sign that labor is far off still. or that if i procrastinate enough, it won't come at all! hah! is nesting a prerequisite for actually giving birth? cause i'm not nesty at all!!!

later,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#34 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 05:30 PM

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#35 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Not much new to report, had my appt. yesterday and my doc was surprisingly fine about not doing an internal, however my NST, bio-physical profile crap is scheduled for next Monday, I better pop by then! Had some tightening of my uterus a few times last night but nothing painful or feeling much like a contraction.
Hurry up and wait....at least my DH let me sleep in again after a quickie!

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

#36 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 PM

I will definitely not be having a baby anywhere near this place again! I went in today for my checkup (39w4d). I had my 3 yo ds with me. After waiting 40 minutes I asked to reschedule and was told that was not a possibility. Either I wait for the doctor or they wouldn't schedule me any more appointments. That sounded kinda nice, but it'd been a few weeks since I'd been so I wanted to check on kiddo's heart rate. We waited another hour before being seen by a new doctor. Apparently my doctor has left--for good. So glad someone told me.

I'm honestly not sure this woman has ever delivered a baby (either herself or as a doctor). I'm not entirely comfortable with that. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but she and I just do not agree on anything. I've only gained ten pounds this pregnancy and she insisted that was too many and I should really be exercising more (I'm not hugely obese, 5'4" 185, but definitely not small either). I understand the importance of exercise, but geez, I obviously have been and have been eating semi-well or I would have gained more weight, right?

Then she said she was going to do an internal and I told her I didn't want one. She insisted that it would "help speed things up." She completely did not understand when I told her I wasn't trying to speed anything up that the baby would come when SHE was ready not when I was. Then she told me that since I had an epidural with my last labor I had to have one with this one. WTF???? I don't see how one affects the other and plan to do this as naturally as possible. So she did the internal anyway and holy cow was it freaking painful! Luckily I had my son to concentrate on or I probably would have cried. I have no idea what in the world she was doing in there (probably "accidentally" stripping my membraned) then when she was done she said "I tried as hard as I could but I could only squeeze about one finger in there." Um, remember when I said I wasn't trying to have this baby until she's ready? Why are you trying to squeeze anything in anywhere!

Then came the worst part (IMO). I've got a depression issue and have been on meds for it for a couple years now. I did as much research as I could when I became pregnant and decided to remail on my meds during pregnancy and then try switching to Zoloft after birth as it is the least contraindicated in breastfeeding. Well, she said she refused to switch my meds. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. She said there was absolutely no reason why I should try to breastfeed. It'd be easier on the baby and me if I just let her have formula from day one. Right. I understand it's as important to address my health issues as it is the baby's, but IMO this is going way overboard. So, I've decided to wean myself from the meds between now and when the baby is born (slowly and safely, don't worry!--I won't be done before she's born but will be soon after) in order to breastfeed. I've done the freaking research. My dh and I are very aware of my problem and what has happened to me in the past when unmedicated. I know after I recover from the birth that exercise will really, really help. I just wish I could have the support from the medical community that I need.

SO SORRY this ended up being so long! Thanks for the opportunity to rant. Let's have some healthy happy January babies!
#37 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 PM

This baby was ALL OVER the place last night after I went to bed. S/he has been in the same LOA position for MONTHS now, but the past week or two s/he keeps flipping from side to side. Last night it felt like flips in there...ugh. I just want a well-positioned baby, but I'm afraid that s/he isn't willing to cooperate.

My mom came up Tuesday night, convinced that I was going to have the baby that night. She stayed two nights, but just went home before lunch today. DS was so sad to see her go, and now I'm wondering when she'll come back. Things are getting all screwed up timing-wise for us, with my sister's visit that she's planned (mostly at my parents' place) for 10 days from now, and now my dad is getting started on daily radiation for 6 weeks for the meningiona that was removed from his head a month ago. Life happens, I know, but I was hoping to be able to rely on my mom for support after the baby is born, and that all seems to be going up in the air. Looks like I'll get a week out of DH, then be on my own, then maybe my sister will come up to my house without her kids for a few days, too. Although she's likely to want to go running around, and every day that this baby ISN'T born makes that more unlikely. Oh well.

I'm going to stop here before I write another novel. One more thing, though---one of my mw's is out of town, and the other is BURNT OUT from so many births in the past two weeks (it sounds like 12 births in the last 17 days---yikes!!), so she told me yesterday that she's very glad that I haven't had this baby yet (at least someone is!).

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#38 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 PM

holy cow, mamajamie. run! run like h-e-double-hockey-sticks. you don't want anyone like that in charge of caring for you or your baby in a labor situation. is she the only doc there at the practice anymore? cry, beg your way into another practice. you're obviously an intelligent, thoughtful, conscientious mother, and she's obviously a know-it-all, my-way-or-the-highway mainstreamer. it sounds like you two aren't a good match at all...

do you know anyone else who you could go to? any other OBs practicing in your area, or any mws who would be more supportive, and at least more sensitive in the area of bedside manner?

wow. i would be so reeling after that experience. talk about upsetting.

i'm sorry.
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#39 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 PM

MamaJamie that sounds HORRIBLE. I am so sorry you had to go through that kind of visit and are faced with dealing with that woman now. I'd really consider finding someone else very quickly. Ugh.
#40 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM

11 days left till my EDD. After getting all excited the other day over false labor I've decided not to get excited again if I feel things happening. I'm trying to be ever so patient but I just want to meet the little one sooo bad. I too have been getting up SEVERAL times a night & would love for those several times to be feeding times & not just bathroom & food breaks. Can't be too long now anyways though, she can't stay in forever.
I am enjoying still sleeping 10-13 hours a night and having DP all to myself for just a little while longer before I have to share...
#41 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJamie View Post
I will definitely not be having a baby anywhere near this place again!
She said there was absolutely no reason why I should try to breastfeed. It'd be easier on the baby and me if I just let her have formula from day one.
OMG!!! This woman seriously freaks me out!!! How can she even be pretending to be helping you. Anyone who tells you it's best to not try is either crazy or stupid...
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this I'd say try as hard as you can to get another provider, almost anything sounds better than this one.
#42 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MamaJamie PLEASE try to find another caregiver. That woman sounds AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not listening to you or respecting you AT ALL. Frightening. (shudder)

What DO you think about the possibility of trying to find someone else this late in the game? If the prospect is too overwhelming, is there someone who might help you like your dh or a friend/family member?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#43 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I will definitely not be having a baby anywhere near this place again! I went in today for my checkup (39w4d). I had my 3 yo ds with me. After waiting 40 minutes I asked to reschedule and was told that was not a possibility. Either I wait for the doctor or they wouldn't schedule me any more appointments. That sounded kinda nice, but it'd been a few weeks since I'd been so I wanted to check on kiddo's heart rate. We waited another hour before being seen by a new doctor. Apparently my doctor has left--for good. So glad someone told me.

I'm honestly not sure this woman has ever delivered a baby (either herself or as a doctor). I'm not entirely comfortable with that. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but she and I just do not agree on anything. I've only gained ten pounds this pregnancy and she insisted that was too many and I should really be exercising more (I'm not hugely obese, 5'4" 185, but definitely not small either). I understand the importance of exercise, but geez, I obviously have been and have been eating semi-well or I would have gained more weight, right?

Then she said she was going to do an internal and I told her I didn't want one. She insisted that it would "help speed things up." She completely did not understand when I told her I wasn't trying to speed anything up that the baby would come when SHE was ready not when I was. Then she told me that since I had an epidural with my last labor I had to have one with this one. WTF???? I don't see how one affects the other and plan to do this as naturally as possible. So she did the internal anyway and holy cow was it freaking painful! Luckily I had my son to concentrate on or I probably would have cried. I have no idea what in the world she was doing in there (probably "accidentally" stripping my membraned) then when she was done she said "I tried as hard as I could but I could only squeeze about one finger in there." Um, remember when I said I wasn't trying to have this baby until she's ready? Why are you trying to squeeze anything in anywhere!

Then came the worst part (IMO). I've got a depression issue and have been on meds for it for a couple years now. I did as much research as I could when I became pregnant and decided to remail on my meds during pregnancy and then try switching to Zoloft after birth as it is the least contraindicated in breastfeeding. Well, she said she refused to switch my meds. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. She said there was absolutely no reason why I should try to breastfeed. It'd be easier on the baby and me if I just let her have formula from day one. Right. I understand it's as important to address my health issues as it is the baby's, but IMO this is going way overboard. So, I've decided to wean myself from the meds between now and when the baby is born (slowly and safely, don't worry!--I won't be done before she's born but will be soon after) in order to breastfeed. I've done the freaking research. My dh and I are very aware of my problem and what has happened to me in the past when unmedicated. I know after I recover from the birth that exercise will really, really help. I just wish I could have the support from the medical community that I need.

SO SORRY this ended up being so long! Thanks for the opportunity to rant. Let's have some healthy happy January babies!
Start making phone calls to other OBs NOW! Get recs from the Tribal Areas board, and find someone else. The whole practice sounds messed up.
#44 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 PM

MamaJaime,
I'm so sorry you are having such a crappy experience. I'm sure if there were other options you probably would have explored them by now.. so I would make it super clear to this lady that you expect her to adhere to the RIGHT of informed consent in every single step of your care and to present her with a birth plan at your next appt. I hope you can get the experience you want.

As for me, 40w 4 days and counting. I had a midwife appt that was rather exciting today. Ive been having some really big movement which is totally uncharacteristic for my lazy baby. When the midwife checked the heartbeat we werent able to get it via doppler or fetoscope at its normal position, baby was moving during the whole time.. so I wasnt worried. However, we did finally get it up at the top of my uterus, which as pretty concerning that the heart had somehow migrated to baby's butt.

Since Im planning a homebirth and live a bit away from the hospital we decided to go ahead and do a u/s. Thank God baby is still head down and everything looks great. Fluid, size.. yay. The prospect of a C-section was not amusing to me at all.
#45 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 PM

I'm ready to lie down!

On good side... I just got my shipment that had my cloth diapers and my laundry detergent for them! Yay! I love cloth diapers!! Especially these! My DD is a HEAVY wetter during the night and can easily go through 2 regular disposable diapers in one night. I had one of these on her and she made it through the whole night without her butt being wet or the bed! Yay! I'm hooked on these now!

I am also expecting 2 more boxes through UPS from Amazon. I bought like 5 books and a movie! I'm so impatient! I ordered them the other day for today's delivery! I want something to read or watch!!

I'm hoping that tonights labor will either 1-> get going into the active labor stage, or 2-> not happen at all. Let's do one or the other. I'm tired of it coming and going. But I guess after reading some of the comments, I would rather have this labor and a fast delivery than the other way around! So I change that. 3-> Let it be mild enough so I can still sleep through it!!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#46 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 PM

So just a little update! Everything is fine... it wasn't my water breaking, just me having a little accident. In fact the baby is doing great. She is still head down, HR 150 bpm. So I am glad!! I would rather have her bake some more than be outside just yet.

On the other hand I have finally started feeling these braxton hicks contractions especially when I walk, and I am not liking them to much.
#47 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 PM

MamaJaime- find another care provider NOW. Seriously.. it's not too late and this woman sounds like an inept moron. Keep us posted!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#48 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 PM

38w4d here. Nothing new to report.. baby is LOA and is engaged in my pelvis (yay!). Saw the mw today and everything looks good.
She gave me some WishGarden Late Pregnancy tonic- it smells horrible so I'm not sure that I'm going to try it, but I'll think about it at least.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be at least another week or so here, but that's ok. DH and I are going on a date tomorrow night and I'm really looking forward to that. I don't know when it will happen again!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#49 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 11:24 PM

My mom arrived today, I got my diaper pail liners yesterday, and my order for nursing tops came from motherwear today! Yippee.
Now, all I need is a baby.
38wks 2 days today.
I am feeling really uncomfortable and saw the midwife today. She reassured me that third kid is different from kid one and kid two, everything is perfectly normal. She even told me that if walking doesn't feel good right now that is okay to just listen to my body. I think I really needed to hear that one. I walked everyday with the other two and right now, sometimes walking across the house I have to stop and rest or get down on my hands and knees for a minute to get the babe off some nerve or other.
I was sort of freaking that the kid was in a bad position but we're good to go. Yay.
She said now that grandma is here we should go out and have some alone time together. Sounds good to me!~ My mom even said she'd pay for us to go to dinner. She rocks!

Chris
#50 of 59 Old 01-10-2008, 11:35 PM

Hello, Everyone,

I've enjoyed reading your messages. I am due January 22, 2008, and have been a big fan of Mothering magazine for the past 4 years...learned a lot. I'm looking forward to a natural birth and attachement parenting. I can't wait to log in a read the updates, and will post when our little one arrives. I wish you all the best!!!

It's so nice to be able to connect with other mamas

Warmest Wishes,

Amanda&BabyMac

ps. Hello Leah!!!
#51 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamac View Post

ps. Hello Leah!!!
ha ha...see, I knew you'd find me somewhere!

Don't lurk any more, start posting! Check out the belly pics thread and the birth announcements (some of them have pictures already, it's awesome!)

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#52 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 AM

MamaJamie I will be thinking of you, hopefully things will work out so she is not the person attending your birth.

All in all I'm feeling pretty well. I definitely am still in the process of losing my mucous plug. In addition I've had painless, irregular contractions all day - here's hoping they turn into something more substantial soon! I can't wait to meet this little one.

Its nice to read all of the updates.
#53 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 AM

All I can say is OUCH!! I went to get on to one of my dogs for being somewhere where she shouldn't have been and I pulled a groin muscle for barely lifting my leg!! I can't walk now and it hurts to crawl! UGH!! OWIE!!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#54 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Just to coment on the weight thing; I was somewhere like, 170 (at 5'4") before pregnancy...and I've gained almost 40 lbs. I honestly don't know where other than baby...some in my legs and chest..but I'm not any fatter to anyone else. Some people don't get that weight is about fat ratio more than "weight". At 165 my doctor told me I should loose 5 lbs...and I'd be fine. That was a lot better than the 35+lbs Cosmo would have me loose! I'm not flabby and I have a lot of muscle too. ANYWAY...my midwife has made no inclination that I am "over" what I "should" be, even though I was told by a previous physisian that I should try not to gain more than 25lbs in pregnancy. I was not about to be neurotic when a baby's life is more important. I followed cravings and I am MORE active than my hubby would have me be.
At 10lbs...you are FINE...in fact I'm surprise they didn't show concearn for too LITTLE wieght! I LOST almost 10 lbs in month one and then gained it back in the growth.
BEST OF LUCK!

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#55 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 AM

Ugh, MamaJamie - get the heck out of there.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#56 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter_shima View Post
Just to coment on the weight thing; I was somewhere like, 170 (at 5'4") before pregnancy...and I've gained almost 40 lbs. I honestly don't know where other than baby...some in my legs and chest..but I'm not any fatter to anyone else. Some people don't get that weight is about fat ratio more than "weight". At 165 my doctor told me I should loose 5 lbs...and I'd be fine. That was a lot better than the 35+lbs Cosmo would have me loose! I'm not flabby and I have a lot of muscle too. [...]
At 10lbs...you are FINE...in fact I'm surprise they didn't show concearn for too LITTLE wieght!
I was going to comment on the same thing but forgot.
MamaJamie - I too am 5'4" and started this PG at 162 lbs. My MW wrote I have a normal BMI. I am up to 210 lbs. now. My midwife who is the same height as me told me she went waaaay over 210 lbs. with her pregnancies. I too am surprised the doctor didn't register CONCERN over your gaining too little weight! Don't worry Mama, you're in fine company!
Demeter Shima - I KWYM about being above your BMI but being muscular etc. I danced for 25 yrs before dd was born and had always been at the top of the range of "normal"...or a little over... but believe me, I could kick some serious cardio and endurance @$$, and had always been muscular. (Notice how I put that in the past tense now. )

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#57 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoMama View Post
When the midwife checked the heartbeat we werent able to get it via doppler or fetoscope at its normal position, baby was moving during the whole time.. so I wasnt worried. However, we did finally get it up at the top of my uterus, which as pretty concerning that the heart had somehow migrated to baby's butt.
Do you think what you heard was the heartrate through the umbilical cord?

#58 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 03:37 AM

yay for me. i got my new pfs and doublers prepped today. now all i have to do is wash my used KL0s a few times, and i think they'll be ready to go. gotta lanolize soakers.

and still have to pack for the hospital. aargh. i'm SO dragging my feet on that.

for now- sleep...

hope everyone gets a good night's rest, and that any babies out there sit tight till the morning, when we have more energy to birth them!

thinking of you all!
hcm

#59 of 59 Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 PM

I have been feeling "off" for two days now. I can't quite explain it. Today I feel very frustrated with everyone. I see my house as a place where I cannot have the baby in because it is too cluttered (although really truly it isn't THAT bad), so I have been cleaning like mad which is so hard due to bending over. Now on top of everything I am so very emotional and really need to go cry.

Sometimes I feel very alone.....well I guess we are alone in preparing our minds before going into labor. Anyways that is how I feel, like I have so much to do and I am doing it alone.....and yet I know I am not, it just feels that way....am I making sense? I always have a point where I get very emotional during labor.

So I am thinking I am very very close...........I am 39wks today.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page