Slowing of fetal movement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(x-posted in I'm Pregnant forum)
I'm 39 weeks today. For the past 24 hours I haven't felt the baby move as much as normal. I'm going to give my midwife a call in the morning and check things out but was wondering if that's normal right at the end?
I can't really remember if my other two did that. I guess it's that she's not acting like herself.. we usually play where I will bump her and she will bump back, or I'll squeeze her little tush that is right up under my breast and she will wiggle a bit, but she's not been playing back at all with me the last 24 hrs.
I ate something about a half hour ago, so I'm going to wait and see if that does anything.
Thoughts?

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 AM

It is normal for movement to slow down at the end. You can try drinking some orange juice laying down to concentrate on feeling movement if you are concerned...but again, very normal for movements to slow down. There is just not a lot of room to dance in there.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomma View Post
It is normal for movement to slow down at the end. You can try drinking some orange juice laying down to concentrate on feeling movement if you are concerned...but again, very normal for movements to slow down. There is just not a lot of room to dance in there.
:
Slowed fetal movement can also be a sign of impending labor (not always, though). Usually, you get so busy that you don't think about it or feel the baby move. But when I get concerned I usually poke and prod until babe gets irritated and moves around. lol

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM

I had that same concern a couple weeks ago. My dr said to empty my bladder, then drink a glass of orange juice or soda...something with lots of sugar...and then lay down. Baby should move about 20 times in an hour. If it's close to that, then you're ok. If it's more, great! If it's less, like under 10, then you may want to call the midwife. (Although my dr told me to repeat the test before getting too concerned.)
Old 01-13-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
I had that same concern a couple weeks ago. My dr said to empty my bladder, then drink a glass of orange juice or soda...something with lots of sugar...and then lay down. Baby should move about 20 times in an hour. If it's close to that, then you're ok. If it's more, great! If it's less, like under 10, then you may want to call the midwife. (Although my dr told me to repeat the test before getting too concerned.)
It's waaaayy less than that. That's why I'm a bit concerned. And it was such a quick change. It's not like she all of a sudden got too big to move, ya know? Earlier in the week she was still super wiggly. And then since yesterday morning, she's really lethargic and not responding much.. I know that she's big, probably 9lbs at least now, so I'm sure that she is cramped, but.. eek.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmom View Post
:
Slowed fetal movement can also be a sign of impending labor (not always, though). Usually, you get so busy that you don't think about it or feel the baby move. But when I get concerned I usually poke and prod until babe gets irritated and moves around. lol
That's what I've read, too. I'd be surprised if this little one shows up before her EDD, but .. who knows

Old 01-13-2008, 02:32 PM

I was very nervous the other day and my mw came to check me and everything was fine. He moved alot the next day and then yesterday & today he is back to being still. I'm hoping hes just getting ready to come out.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:37 PM

My kids have all had a pattern of being really active for a couple of days and then very mellow for a day. just to freak me out probably but thats the pattern. I read and have heard that its less than 20 movements and more like 10 in an hour but every care provider is different and only you can say for sure.

If I have been busy one day then it seems like baby is tired the next day with me.
Sending peaceful worry free vibes your way!
Angela
Old 01-13-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Angela. I'm sure that I'm just being a worrywart.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulbambina View Post
I was very nervous the other day and my mw came to check me and everything was fine. He moved alot the next day and then yesterday & today he is back to being still. I'm hoping hes just getting ready to come out.
Hopefully that's what my little one is doing, too.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 PM

I always thought it was 10 movements in one hour. However, my midwife told me last week that it was 10 movements in TWO hours.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 PM

I'm 39 weeks today too and things have slowed down a bit in the last week, I think. Anyway, my midwives said not to worry too much about _counting_ kicks - they say that they just expect the baby to have one very active period each day at this point.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 PM

ollineeba, you could chart your fetal movement for a few hours and call your MW/doctor to see what s/he thinks. It looks like there's a lot of variation on what amount of movement is considered "normal."

Good luck! I know it's scary.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

User Tag List