Faith Ann enters the world! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-18-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After 16 hours of labor, which included about 7 hours of transition (it's true!), Faith Ann entered this realm beautifully and peacefully, face up, eyes open, into the water and the loving hands of her father.

On January 12th I decided I ought to do something to stimulate labor, gently. I realised that I hadn't had a Vedic ring that was specific to my body carrying babies sized throughout this pregnancy. It had been in my purse waiting for me to get around to it the whole 9 months. I had one made after 2 m/c and a Vedic reading where I learned that my Sun was combusting my Jupiter making it difficult for me to carry babies (in a nutshell). I wore it throughout my pregnancy with Laurel which went smooth as silk. I took it in to have a prong fixed and the jeweler went out of business and moved away, no forwarding info, with my ring. My mom had another made for this pregnancy, but it needed sized. I, as you now know, slacked (and didn't have as easy of a pregnancy either), but came to my senses on the 12th. Actually, a mama I met on MDC lives here in my town and is married to a jeweler. I called them and went over for a visit and to have my ring sized that morning. Labor started that evening.

Laurel and I went to bed early (feeling a bit under the weather) at about 9 pm. At 9:10 I had a contraction, but I'd been having good contractions for over a month. Then another at 9:18, then 9:26, then 9:33, then 9:40, 9:45, 9:50, 9:53, 9:56. 9:59...oh yes, progressively closer together, and quite dramatically as well. Laurel's labor was smooth and steady for 19 hours, so I thought that things were going to go super fast at this point.

Steve came home around ten and I was a bit, umm, hurried. There was so much to do to get ready and I really thought the baby would be here at any moment. Poor guy had just worked a 15 hour day and here I was with a list a mile long...but mainly filling the tub, which was pretty darn big and we have a not so big hot water tank. So he filled and boiled and filled and we got everything together while listening to some beautiful kiirtan music, lighting candles, and setting a wonderful birth space. My contractions were a minute or two apart from 10 to around 1:00 am.

At about 10:30 we called my mom, who was staying at a local B&B (cuz she brought her boyfriend to town with her), to come sleep with Laurel. When she arrived she began our phone chain of the beautiful mamas who would be lighting candles for the birth. We also called the midwife just to let her know things were rolling. She lives right up the road, so we weren't planning on having her over until transition.

I was loving these contractions, well, because they were doable. The more I moved around the better and closer they were. I was rolling and rocking my hips, dancing through them in all sorts of wonderful positions. They were close and therefore I really thought we were close.

At around 2 Steve and I sat down on the couch together, as we were finished "setting up", and took a deep breath. When I stopped moving my contractions slowed to 10 minutes apart. I thought we ought to try to sleep for a bit at this point.

I woke every 10 minutes until around 4:30 when the contractions got significantly more intense. Steve and I rode these waves together until around 6 when things definitely moved to the next stage. My mom woke up and we called the midwife. I thought for sure things would happen any moment (again) as it was INTENSE. We had Laurel go downstairs to play with our housemate and her kid and figured she'd come back up soon enough for the pushing.

For the next 7 hours I was mostly in the tub on my hands and knees, with occasional moments in the bedroom hanging from the bar on our love swing (very good for labor !) or in the bathroom, which stunk. Sitting on the potty was incredibly painful.

Transition-type contractions (yep, right on top of each other and out of this world) continued for what felt like forever. Every time I thought that I couldn't possibly bear another moment I reminded myself that when these thoughts arise that pushing is just around the corner. And then it wasn't.

After 3 hours or more of transition I announced to whomever felt like listening I suppose that I was done keeping the energy "low" and I would now be allowing myself to "scream like a banshee". It was unbelievable - nothing like Laurel's birth at all. Steve could not take his hands off of my back. All of the pain was in my back. I might have chewed through a washcloth, I'm not sure.

I've never been so grateful when I finally had the urge to push. At this point I told Steve to take off his clothes and hop in and sent my mom down to get Laurel. The water had yet to break, so the first thing that came out was a big bubble - part of the water sack. I pushed in squatting position, which felt wonderful. My mom couldn't believe I had the strength to hold myself up,
but the adrenaline, and relief, was wonderful!

Laurel watched peacefully poolside with the midwife as Faith's head came out, face up. Yep, she was posterior! Her cute little eyes were wide open under the water! Another push and she was out. She was completely covered in vernix - thick. Laurel hopped in the tub and we all hung out together while we waited on the placenta, which was born about 30 minutes later. Somewhere in that time she latched on and we began our breastfeeding journey.

We moved to the bed and got a bit more cleaned up. Steve and Laurel took a shower while Faith and I had some mama baby time in the bed. We opted for a lotus birth so the midwife set up that scene. I got a couple few stitches and the midwife went home. And now we are 4 .

Faith Ann
8lbs 8 oz
20 1/2 inches
Born on 1/13 at 1:13 pm

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#2 of 21 Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Congratulations!!!

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#3 of 21 Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
Faith Ann entered this realm beautifully and peacefully, face up, eyes open, into the water and the loving hands of her father.
This is so beautiful! I hope I can say something similar soon.

Sounds like quite the marathon! Congratulations and happy babymooning.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#4 of 21 Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 PM

Congratulations!

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#5 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 02:26 AM

What a wonderful stroy! thank you for sharing and happy babymoon!
Angela
#6 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 03:37 AM

Beautiful birth! Congratulations!

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#7 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Congrats mama!!
#8 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 07:09 AM

A beautiful birth story ...sorry transition was so long. Congratulations mama!
#9 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#10 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM

congratulations!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#11 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 04:20 PM

Congratulations!!
#12 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Congrats mama!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#13 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Congratulations. She has a beautiful name.
#14 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 10:23 PM

Amazing! Congratulations!!!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#15 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 10:39 PM

Jeremy, lots of love and big hugs from us in Boulder! I'm so happy for you, Steve and Laurel. I love that Faith was born on 1/13 at 1:13. A happy little Capricorn baby for you!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#16 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Welcome Baby Faith! Way to go Mama. Enjoy your cozy new family!
#17 of 21 Old 01-19-2008, 11:43 PM

welcome earthside baby faith!!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#18 of 21 Old 01-20-2008, 12:24 AM

Welcome to the world, baby Faith! We are so excited to get to know you!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#19 of 21 Old 01-20-2008, 01:30 AM

congrats!!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#20 of 21 Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Phew Mama, what relief! Congratulations and welcome baby!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#21 of 21 Old 01-20-2008, 02:57 PM

Wow! Way to go mama and welcome to your little one!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page