Breastfeeding my newborn - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
(I often call him Attack Baby... he looks like a crazy chicken going in for the kill), which is great for him, but ouchie for me.
I like your description!

Glad to hear things are getting somewhat better Tofu, though I hope your pain subsides soon. SO glad for you Zenma that there's some improvement! I think you are wise to be flexible about feeding as you need to.

On our front here, I am still comfort nursing (ha ha ha - 'cuz she ain't comforted) usually once a night, pumping and supplementing, and feeding by bottle. I have a blocked duct AGAIN. Ouch. So painful. I am trying to decide whether to continue. My psychiatrist and midwives all think I should just stop it, and feed my baby by supplement. I am getting there, let me tell you, what with all the pressures and everything....but.....I still wish dd#2 and I could at least nurse some of the time, dang it! She is still crying and frustration at the breast, although she is interested in it. I think I may ask for one more round of help from a lactation expert, and if it doesn't work then that's enough. I have so many mixed emotions about this. I keep swinging from one side to another. Oh well. I am grateful and giddily excited as I see dd#2 growing so nicely getting her combo feeds. I am grateful for the supplement because I can't seem to get nursing off the ground. 'Nuff said.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh the saga continues..........

..........so just when I feel like giving up, dd#2 is nursing a little more, and a little better. Phew. It's gotten easier now that she's one month old and her mouth is a little bigger. I now understand why people encourage perserverance, or say that older babies sometimes start to latch on and that's just it!

I am worried about the future as I'm at a loss as to how I'm going to keep pumping and doing all this stuff when I have energetic, high needs 2.5 y.o. dd#1 at home full time in a couple of weeks. Eeps!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure it'll work itself out. I'll just have to make adjustments at the time if needed. If I can't manage all of it and have to balance needs, then I'll just do so. I have to be human and look at the needs of all family members. :

On another note, I think I have a plugged duct again. My right breast is all red on the underside, though it doesn't hurt today like it did yesterday. I pumped, massaged, used gravity to help, etc. Dang plugs. Grumble grumble

Anybody else care to chime in about how it's going for them?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
I am worried about the future as I'm at a loss as to how I'm going to keep pumping and doing all this stuff when I have energetic, high needs 2.5 y.o. dd#1 at home full time in a couple of weeks. Eeps!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure it'll work itself out. I'll just have to make adjustments at the time if needed. If I can't manage all of it and have to balance needs, then I'll just do so. I have to be human and look at the needs of all family members. :
have you looked at the pumping tribe over in the breastfeeding challenges forum? there are some good idea over there about hands-free pumping. you're so right about balance.

i'm glad to hear your babe is latching on more often! good news! i hope your duct clears up quickly. i had mastitis a few times with my dd and that was pretty awful.

we're maintaining at the same level as when i last posted. the thrush is not gone, but isn't as acute as it was last week. i had not realized how addicted i am to sugar, or how much yeast growing food i was consuming. yikes! aside from the yeast, we're able to get a great latch, and then ds will often re-adjust himself to chewing/gumming my nips. it is much more bearable now that the yeast isn't as crazy, but it's not great. i am hoping the chomping is something he matures out of.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

It can be soooo hard to kick a sugar addiction. Good luck.

As dd is nursing better or a little more often (and by that I mean a couple of times a day, from 4-8 minutes........this is much less than she did before I found out she wasn't gaining enough) my breasts feel fuller. I feel stressed because then I know I need to empty but I don't have time to pump extra. Then my breasts get clogged. Or too full for dd to feel comfortably. So in a way it compounds the problems. Oh well.

As we are nursing a bit more again I feel stressed. How do I know she's getting enough? I know about the gulping etc. I see her do it but she's not really working enough at the breast to get a good long feed. She dozes off even when I use compression.

Last time I thought she had enough wet/poopy diapers but she wasn't gaining enough. And they weren't wet/poopy enough.

Oh neuroticism....how I love thee....my bedfellow.....

I used to be a part of a pumping tribe with dd#1. I think the issue for me is that I want to spend more time with my children face to face, one on one, giving attention and holding them, rather than spending time with the pump. (This statement is NOT a judgement or comment on other mothers who pump. I have the deepest respect for their accomplishments and patience. I just feel like I am a poor multitasker in this regard. ) This is from my experience the first time around.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Today is going well. I'm feeling sick of pumping so I've offered the breast & nursed at pumping times twice. It has worked out well, and dd just had a huuuuuge feed. I am soooo happy!

Dd is 4 weeks today. If you would have told me at day 9 or 10 when she wasn't gaining enough that we'd still be nursing today in some form, and it was actually going alright sometimes, I wouldn't have believed you. I am actually (gasp) glad I perservered.

One day at a time. One hour at a time. One session at a time. :

Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 PM

that's awesome!!! way to go mama!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
One day at a time. One hour at a time. One session at a time. :
YES! Exactly, I had to adopt this philosphy with this little girl. Every baby is very different. I always knew that, but for some reason I figured my babies would sort of alike. A little bit?
I am so glad that you are perservering. One session at a time thats the best way to go about it, isn't it.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 02-13-2008, 02:21 AM

Do nipples regenerate? Because I'm really sort of counting on it. It's scary to look at the chunks missing in my left nip.

BFing is going great in terms of his latch and weight gain. However, it feels like my boobs are taking FOREVER to heal. The left one is still in bad shape and it hurts like heck every time he latches on (and even slightly throughout the session). The right one is all but healed, so that's not so bad.

I'll be taking y'all's advice: One session at a time. (Like one contraction at a time, no? )

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Do nipples regenerate? Because I'm really sort of counting on it. It's scary to look at the chunks missing in my left nip.

BFing is going great in terms of his latch and weight gain. However, it feels like my boobs are taking FOREVER to heal. The left one is still in bad shape and it hurts like heck every time he latches on (and even slightly throughout the session). The right one is all but healed, so that's not so bad.

I'll be taking y'all's advice: One session at a time. (Like one contraction at a time, no? )
Yep, EXACTLY like one contraction at a time!

I can tell you that my nipple regenerated after I gave it some rest by pumping and feeding dd with an alternate method. I also aired it out, gave it natural sunlight, used lansinoh, epsom salt baths. I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. Have you looked at Newman's protocol for sore nipples?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:31 PM

Hi ladies!
I have great news! I beat the yeast! Nursing is SOOO much better without the yeast. It is so darn painful with it. My right nip is totaly normal and pain free while nursing. YAY!!
The left breast however, very slowly healing from the HUGE gash in it. To-Fu I know exactly how you feel, I am so ready for this crack/fissure to heal up already. I often wonder IF and when this heals, what my poor nipple will look like. Andrew was 5 weeks on Tuesday, I can't believe all the breastfeeding problems we've had in 5 weeks. I have to say the plugged duct, breast infection resulting in antibiotics, the yeast, the cracks/fissures, soreness etc etc....the yeast was the WORST!
I know now that the yeast prevented the fissure from healing too. I can't tell you how different it looks after the yeast problem was gone. Makes me think that had I not got the yeast I could of been totally healed by now.
I am sidelying on the right at noght which is wonderful and we are getting there on the left, I've tried it a few times to see, but am to nervous that I will get one bad latch and split it open again. (sigh) I am patient!
Good luck momma's, IT DOES GET BETTER. One feeding at a time and don't feel bad at all if you need to pump to give your nipple a chance to heal, it really does make a difference. I HATE pumping but it has helped ALOT!
I look forward to all your success stories!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Stacymama, so glad BFing is going better for you and your little one! I am starting to wonder if I have thrush after all. Baby shows no signs, but I could still have it, right?

I'm seeing a lactation consultant (again, a new one) Monday ... can't wait to get some relief! Ugh.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Good news that the thrush is cleared Stacymama. Yeah, it really does get better sometimes, doesn't it? I am amazed by how much things have improved in the past week and am so glad I kept trying.

To-Fu I am thinking of you and hoping things improve soon.

Things are continuing on a good course over here. Dd2 is nursing well several times a day and things are easier since I gave my nipples a chance to heal. I got sick of pumping and put her back on the boob and it worked! Now I am still supplementing though...but doing the combo supplement and pumping helped me ensure I had some supply, be able to feed baby, and manage all the other stuff in my life. I sometimes think about trying to EBF but I'm overwhelmed by the work it would entail....pumping around the clock to get my supply back up....and then am worried we'd be back to square one...I was EBF so why was dd not gaining enough? I think I'll just take it one day at a time and do the best I can.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:06 PM

Emese'smom, hang in there. You're doing great! Sounds like your spirits are up with your success. AWESOME!
To-Fu, my little Andrew showed no signs of thrush at all, it was all me. He had nothing in the mouth, no diaper rash nothing. I for
1. took the antibiotics which set me up for the yeast. 2. have the huge open sore that allowed an entrance for the yeast. 3. had pain from being sore but them seemed like the nursing got MORE painful one day.
If you shine a flashlight on your nipples when they are dry, are they shiney? Are you nipples red, swollen, do they burn or itch? Do you hae a burning or itching feeling inside the breast? When you nurse does the burning get worse, or does it feel like ground glass? These are all signs of yeast on the breast. Your fissure/crack can not heal with yeast.
Andrew is my 3rd baby and I breastfed both my other 2 exclusively, that's how I knew something wasn't right, when the pain got worse instead of better.
You asked if you can use neosprin on your nipples, and the answer is yes you can, just sparingly and dab off before babe nurses. Many LC's will tell women to use it.
I hope you don't have yeast. It SUCKS!! (no pun intended in a breastfeeding thread....lol)
Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 PM

nak

stacymama, i'm so glad you beat the thrush! what did you do to beat it?

i've taken my yeast down a big notch w/ all purpose nipple ointment, grapefruitseed extract (both topical), probiotics, goldenseal, and digestive enzymes - all for me plus cutting out sugar, yeasted breads and most white flour. also i'm giving the baby probiotics. things are FAR less painful, but i can tell the yeast is still hanging on some, so i have a script for diflucan, and i'm going to get nystatin for the babe. geeeeeeesh, what a pain. i'm thinking that i must be an amazingly fertile petri dish, internally, for yeast. i had thrush for much of the 13 mos i nursed dd and she never had signs of yeast.

this babe does show yeast-y signs, which reminds me, i also bathe he and i w/ diluted distilled vinegar and add vinegar to our laundry. lots of air drying of the nips. and i'm so vigilant with all this stuff - it's my full time 24-7 job to battle this. i should be pictured in some medical dictionary as the definition of yeast food.

to-fu, sometimes thrush just isn't visible. the infection hides out in your milk ducts. the only signs i have are my pain and pinker nips, and the lc has to take my word that they're pinker than normal, because nips are often pink. the way i knew i had it at first was that the pain was responsive to treatment (esp to the probiotic).

emeese'smom, so glad you're getting some nursing time with your babe and finding a balance in your days!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:24 AM

zenma, what did I do to beat the thrush you ask.
1. gentian violet for baby and I (even though baby didn't show any sign of thrush) 2 days for Andrew, 5 days for me.
2. acidopholis 3 in the am 3 at bedtime (6 per day)
3. probiotics in babe's mouth
4. grapeseed extract 250 mg 3 x aday
5. candida diet no sugar and nothing but water to drink.
6. sun the nipples as often as I could (yeast hates sunlight)
7. All Purpose Nipple Ointment after each feeding
8. Washed nipples off with just water and pat dry after every feeding, then let air dry.
and finally 7 days of Diflucan.
Washed everything in vinager and sun dried my bra's, boiled pump parts and bottles when I had to pump.
It did seem to get worse before it got better. But I'm SOOOO much better. Just nervous it will come back, so I'm still taking the GSE and acidopholis and the APNO. I still have the crack healing so it's still open.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:55 PM

stacy,
it sounds like we're doing similar things. i slipped and had some v-day chocolate - yikes, what a difference! i won't do that again!

any suggestions for what you DID eat? sugar/white flour is in so many things. i'm eating meat, veggies, salads (tho' dressing w/o vinegar is hard for me - i guess i should get some lemons...), oatmeal, wheat sourdough bread, peanut butter... that's it, but i'm in a food rut, so ideas would be appreciated, if you've got 'em.

we don't have sun here right now. every so often we do, but then there's no way to sun my nips w/o sharing w/ the whole neighbohood.

User Tag List