I need help....breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is latching wonderfully on the left side, but not the right. What gives? What can I do to get him to latch better, aside from him getting to the point of screaming in frustration. He seems to have discovered that he only needs to gum the nipple to get the milk....I am in SOO much pain on that side!!! Any suggestions??
#2 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dear, for me the only thing that works is to allow dd to scream in frustration in order for her to get a mouth big enough to latch on. Once I could accept that this is part of the process, she began to latch. I don't like it that she screams, but it's what works for now. I expect it'll get better as her mouth grows bigger.

Good positioning helps. If you are doing cross cradle make sure the baby is up high enough. What works for me is to line baby's eyes up with the beginning of my armpit, hold body close to me with chin towards to breast and baby's upper lip/mouth further back. I have to let her fall back a little to cry/get her to open her mouth, otherwise she just licks my nipple and makes a tiny mouth. Then when she makes the right mouth I have to swiftly and firmly whisk her on my breast, chin touching breast first. Check out drjacknewman.com for videos for latching.

Do you have access to real live help? LC or something? Hang in there, it's so hard and frustrating at times. You're doing a great job.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#3 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 04:11 AM

Also, for the pain, air baths, natural sunlight, lansinoh (lanolin cream) and breast shells (to keep material from touching them) helped my sore nipples heal. Also changing the latch to a different position (e.g., cross cradle tore up my left nipple, so I started using football hold instead for awhile and that helped). Just my two cents.

Oh, and I was taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen for perinial pain relief, and noticed a difference in my boobs too when they wore off.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#4 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 AM

Dr. Jack Newman is a Canadian ped. who is an expert on breastfeeding. His website has lots of information and video clips. http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...&id=5&Itemid=6

I just watched a couple of videos with Ben and told him that's what he was supposed to do.
#5 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
My dear, for me the only thing that works is to allow dd to scream in frustration in order for her to get a mouth big enough to latch on. Once I could accept that this is part of the process, she began to latch. I don't like it that she screams, but it's what works for now. I expect it'll get better as her mouth grows bigger.
Same here!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#6 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM

We had some latching issues the first few days (it is only day five but things are so much better!). I found I could get a bett er latch If my husband pushed Miles' chin down with a finger while I did the normal lip tickle/nipple sandwich technique. I was worried I'd never be able to nurse well without someone around, but it only took a day or so for our little one to be latching well 90% of the time.

Good luck!

Oh and I've found warm moist compresses before feedings help a lot with nipple soreness.
#7 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM

I second the Jack Newman website! I also suggest calling a La Leche League leader and asking some questions. Thats what they are there for and are a wealth of compassion and information.
Heres a link to find a leader in your area http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html

Angela
#8 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 PM

(((hugs))) Nursing issues are no fun.

Sometimes a babe may have trouble latching on one side because he has pain turning his head to one side. Chiropractic can make a huge difference. My third NB was my fussiest, and an excellent LC pointed out some issues with his jaw and the shaping of his head. We took him in for a couple of craniosacral therapy adjustments (my first exposure to chiropractic care) and the difference in him was nothing short of amazing (not to mention my bleeding nipple healed up in no time!). After that, I was a believer!

Hope you're both enjoying a thriving nursing relationship soon!
#9 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 04:08 PM

#10 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM

I second/third the suggestion to contact a LLL leader or attend a meeting. It's great help.

My ds had trouble latching on to one side and I finally resorted to a Medela breast shield. Apparently that one nipple is slightly not as erect...anyway I only had to use it for a month or two until one day he refused the sheild latched on great on that side. I guess his mouth finally got big enough. I suggest of course trying everything else before going to the shield.. but it did work for me as a last resort and we ended up having a wonderful pain/stress free exclusive breastfeeding relationship for almost 2 years (until I got pregnant).

ps. the jack newman breastfeeding is book is my bible. his advice is wonderful!

: totally blessed mother of 2
#11 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM

I have seen this work wonders MANY times. Birth is sometimes a rough experience for a newborn anyway. A check to make sure spinal alignment is in check is a great start for a newborn. Subluxations (impeded vertabrae) can cause so many different issues.
#12 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junestars View Post
...Medela breast shield. Apparently that one nipple is slightly not as erect...anyway I only had to use it for a month or two until one day he refused the sheild latched on great on that side. I guess his mouth finally got big enough. I suggest of course trying everything else before going to the shield.. but it did work for me as a last resort and we ended up having a wonderful pain/stress free exclusive breastfeeding relationship for almost 2 years (until I got pregnant).
Good to know it took that long! For some I guess it's immediately successful, for others (like moi and dd#2 too) it takes longer. Phew.

#13 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!! he is doing much much better. My right nipple is angled, and I think it's from how he WAS latching b/c it wasn't like that before, but I think that may have been part of the problem. I really appreciate the suggestions...I guess I will start trying one at a time until we get it worked out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page