Am I being completely ridiculous?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If Jordan had been a girl, his (her) name was going to be Alexandra...Lexi for short. In fact, we thought it WAS a girl til 17 weeks and grew quite attached to that name. Well, obviously, we had a boy, but we were saving the name for next time if we have a girl. My BIL and SIL are expecting and recently found out they are having a girl. They have decided to use the name Alexandra...and call her Lexi. Is it crazy that this bothers me??
#2 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Naw! You were in love with that name. It was part of your vision and dream. It feels like YOURS. Perhaps with time it'll bother you less though.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#3 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 AM

Nope, not crazy at all. Something similar happened to me when my stepdaughter's mother was going to use "our" girl name for her new baby. Sure, we still could have used it but how weird would it have been for my SD to have 2 sisters with the same name? (As it turned out, neither of us used it - she changed her mind at the last minute, then we had 2 boys first and by the time we had a girl, we had sort of fallen out of love with the name.)

My stepdaughter also "informed" me during my pregnancy that I wasn't allowed to use the name she has picked out for her future daughter. It was funny that the name was on my list and I strongly had considered using it as the middle name. I didn't, only because I didn't want her to resent me forever.

Anyway, no not crazy. Did they know that was "your" name?
#4 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
Naw! You were in love with that name. It was part of your vision and dream. It feels like YOURS. Perhaps with time it'll bother you less though.
I agree!
Angela
#5 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM

no that would really make me mad. i think naming is such an important process. i would be super pissed. i have pretty told everyone names that i have dibs on and threatened bodily harm to anyone that thinks of using them.
#6 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 PM

names are hard.. i have a name that i really love, that ive thought of since being pregnant with my son..but my sil informed me that i wasn't allowed to use it because its similar to a name she has chosen for a boy child that isn't even conceived yet.. she says she told me the name, but i dont even remember it! but i feel like i cant use the name i like because it could cause conflict within the family

im sorry you are sad about it..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 PM

Did they know it was a name you picked out and really loved?

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#8 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 PM

it would bug me, too /// did they know?

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#9 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 PM

..n/m
#10 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 PM

Yep ridiculous.
This is one of my "things"
It's not ridiculous that it bothers you....you feel what you feel, and that is fine.
But it would be ridiculous to not use the name, if you wanted to.
I think the whole concept (which, if yuo search, I'm sure you can find several rants from me on, lol!) on not using a name just because someone else "close" to you has, it utterly ridiculous. So is calling "dibs' on a name. If you like it, use it, regardless of whoever else might have already used it.

there are 6 BILLION people on the planet. Even if you believe you have *invented* the name - someone else probably already has it. And with a common name...come on. Alexandra - pretty darn common name, top 10 in many Euorpean countries, generally top 50 or better in the US. In fact, coincidentally, We were going to name our baby Alexandra if she had been a girl..but we got a little Alexander instead...

really..use your energy for something else....

CPST
#11 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

yes they knew...well, she did, men are oblivious

Jess-you're completely right. I think I was just letting these post partum hormones get to me. I may not even like that name by the time we have a girl, which could be years from now, if ever. And if I do, who's to stop me from using it? Thanks for the reality check!

And everyone else...thanks for the support...it's nice to know that my feelings were at least a little justified...this is why I come here for support
#12 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 AM

that would really rub my nerves also. sorry they stole it!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#13 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 AM

I don't think that you were being ridiculous at all. You have a right to feel the way you feel, especially since it's someone so close to you that you will probably see all the time!
Chances are, though, that you will find a name you like even better.. so I'd let them have the name since they obviously don't have the capacity to be original or come up with something themselves! But aren't you wishing you had suggested Bertha or something as your favorite? haha..

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page