oh no..no..no.! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im so irritated right now.

my mom arranged to have all of the carpet in her house replaced tomorrow.. it was months ago and we all assumed that we would have had baby and gone home by now.. she called them but they refuse to reschedule even though she payed them like 4 months ago for it!
what the hell and i going to do if i go into labor when 30 guys are in the house changing the friggin carpet?.. not to mention the fact that i didn't want to be here after since new carpet is totally poisonous...
our little suite has hard wood floors, so its not an issue of them being in our space, but there isn't a door, just a staircase separating us from the rest of the house. and i think they planned on putting all of the furniture upstairs, where we are living while its being done... *sigh* this whole last few weeks has been such a stressful time. i want this baby out of me, but now i feel like im probably going to hold back for another few days. why why why!?!?

its going to be a nightmare.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 04:12 PM

oh my gosh I would be hitting the roof P***** off right now! Because that would not make me feel ready...it would make me want to hold that baby in. Now why again do you have to stay and have the baby there? If I remember right it is because of the midwife? Because I seriously would want to just pack up and go home.....girl you need to be in a safe place where you can just relax. You know I might call the carpet company myself and just go pregnant-over due-lady- over the top with it Tell them that your pregnant and cannot have this right now and could they please wait a week. Resume to tears and I bet they will have heart.

I really feel for you!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:14 PM

I would be really irritated too Can you hang sheets or blankets in the doorway to maybe help with the fumes? I would tell them that they will just have to move the furniture from room to room until they are done and that they cannot use your space.
I cant beleive they got paid and are not working with her on rescheduling. Can she call someone higher up at the company?

Angela
Old 01-21-2008, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

we can't pack up and go home.. we are 6 hours from home.. we have been here over a month, it would be so stupid to have been here this long just to go home.. and to what there isn't even a hospital or dr near us that i could have the baby at. its a complicated situation.

and we have tried talking to them. i don't know why but they are dead set on not rescheduling..

i guess im just going to have to deal with it.. the worst part for me is that im upset and i think im justified in being upset but trying to stay calm and my mom who is crazy starts to cry and say how much she has done for us..blah blah blah..and how we never do anything to help her (while im holding her sleeping foster baby so she can go out and do errands) and on and on without even considering how upsetting it is for me. its always about her.
and then she says to my dp "look at me! don't feed into this.." in this super rude tone. he was so pissed he just walked out of the room....

ah. the drama of my life!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM

You've got gumption girl and a unique calm to stay put! I would be hiding in the closet by now For other peoples safety.
Angela
Old 01-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Oh my how can they not reschedule. That is ridiculous...uh hello, you are paying them. I would get on that phone and give them a piece of my mind.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM

I'm just sending support. You are so in the right and are keeping it all together. You are amazing! (Our oldest littles are the same age and I've been reading your posts for years. You've helped me out more than once!)

Hang in there and soon we'll be reading about your baby turning one and we'll all say, "Where did the time go?"

:Mama to 2 :
Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, it would SERVE THEM RIGHT if you went into labour with 30 men in the house. I hope they would hear you labouring and feel uncomfortable! KWIM??? Can you imagine 30 carpet guys listening to the normal sounds of giving birth (moaning, growling, etc)?

Okay, I doubt you find that as funny as I do. Or funny at all. That's a huge PIA. I can see why you'd want to keep baby in a bit longer. It's frustrating.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 01-21-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
You know, it would SERVE THEM RIGHT if you went into labour with 30 men in the house. I hope they would hear you labouring and feel uncomfortable! KWIM??? Can you imagine 30 carpet guys listening to the normal sounds of giving birth (moaning, growling, etc)?

Okay, I doubt you find that as funny as I do. Or funny at all. That's a huge PIA. I can see why you'd want to keep baby in a bit longer. It's frustrating.
Ha! Or, if you follow Ina May's advice, you could always include some really nice animal sounds. Like a cow mooing or some nice horse lips. Phllbbbt. (I've been practicing that one, actually.)

I second the idea of putting up some blankets/sheets to create a faux door that could sorta block the fumes out and give you a little more privacy. Or if you're feeling sassy, you could give the carpet guys a call yourself.

If you're really not feeling safe when you go into labor, would it be possible to get a hotel room for that day/night? I know lots of ladies who do this on purpose anyway, regardless of mom/carpet issues.

Hang in there!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:17 PM

Try to replace the carpet and I said No, No, No
(Sing to Amy winehouse Rehab!!)
Every time I look at the thread that song gets stuck in my head!! Even that last sentence rhymed: Sorry!
Angela
Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Oh that is such crappy timing! I think a hotel room is an awesome idea. Any chance you can swing it? I think stepping away from your mom would be outstandingly good for your emotional safety right now. I can't imagine toxic fumes and crummy guilt trips on top of being over due!

I can't even handle my mom's phone calls right now.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 01-21-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm so sorry. You can do this. You can survive this. The furniture will be moved upstairs (by someone that isn't you) the carpets will go down, the furniture will go down (by someone not you) and life will be good again. Though I can't help but wondering what kind of half-assed job they're planning on doing laying carpets if it's only going to take a day.
If I can do the building work, you can do carpets. Just try not to give birth on them, OK? Go enjoy the good stuff about big city living while you've got it (like the yarn shops) and get yourself a spider plant and a peace lily to help calm the formaldehyde fumes.
I have to say, though, I'm glad it's carpets. I got scared for your girly when I saw your thread title :

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM

I'm right there with you. I've got a bathroom remodel going on that has been taking WEEKS instead of the -days- it was promised in. I'm not overdue yet, but I'm getting close to my edd. Now the guys who have been working on it are offering to work in the evenings to get it done. I'm glad that they're working (as opposed to the whole lot of NOT working that was being done... but, I want my house to myself, and I don't want to have to worry about not having a place to bathe the baby when she comes. Luckily I'm not doing a homebirth or I would be literally freaking out right about now. I wish you luck and hopefully the baby stays in as the carpet guys are there.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh that is so totally shitty I'm sorry your Mom is being so hard to deal with right now, it should be all about YOU, you are the one about to bring another being into this world. I hope things turn out well... i wish I had a big house in Vancouver you could borrow.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM

thinking about 30 carpet men in the house while you were in labor really made me laugh. i think they would totally be uncomfortable!

i'm so sorry that you are having to go through this...especially since i know you have also had other issues with being at your mother's house and arguments with her. it sounds like your last month of being pregnant has been pretty stressful.

i am convinced that some women just have the ability to not give birth because it isn't the right time. my cousin was finishing up her semester at school. she was due on the 22 of april but had finals up until the 24. everyone was worried that she wouldn't get to finish her semester because she was going to have the baby. she just kept saying, "no i'm not having this baby until the 25. sure enough she finished her last final at like 7pm on the 24. then she went home, went into labor and had her baby at 8am on the 25. it was really funny. so i guess that possibly just keep that mindset when they are installing the carpet if you don't want to have the baby while they are there.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone..

i feel better.. i went for a long walk in the sunshine with my little family and i just decided that im not going to worry. it will unfold as it should.

its going to be okay.

poisonedpenny, flapjack: to you as well, since you are facing similar crappy situations.

i guess i just have to remind myself that there are probably more woman in the world who birth on grass mats and dirt floors and open fields alone than woman who have lovely warm, cozy houses with midwives who are paid for by the government..i should feel lucky i have what i have, even if it doesn't seem totally perfect at the moment.

Quote:

Old 01-22-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
I bet that would be enough for them to reschedule. Jerks.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. Your baby knows the right time to come, so lets just hope that time isn't when the house is full of carpet men.

And I would totally tell them they CANNOT move furniture into your space. If they REFUSE to reschedule then they can just work around you.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

we have figured out a solution anyways, so its not so bad.. my sister lives downstairs in the suite we used to live in before moving far away.. i just helped her totally clean it (it wasn't very clean..yikes) and so if i go into labor we can have baby down there.. and that is where my 1st baby was born, so it would be kind of nice... but even after all of the cleaning on my hands and knees and stuff im not having stronger CX..so i doubt that ill have baby tonight or tomorow..

and its probably going to take 2-3 days not 1 like originally quoted by my mother. i think she was scared i might throw something

im at ease now anyways..

Quote:

Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 AM

Oh good mamafern........sounds like things are working themselves out.....amazing how they usually do isn't.

I still wish that carpet company was more easier to work with but I am happy for you, it seems like things have quieted down and that everything is going to be just fine.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 AM

Glad to hear you found a solution! What a crappy situation.

I hope you're taking the time to pamper and care for yourself in the middle of all this chaos.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM

(though my building work is over. Thank maude.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:55 PM

thinking of you, mama fern. hope things are, well, ok...

hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Glad to hear you found a solution! What a crappy situation.

I hope you're taking the time to pamper and care for yourself in the middle of all this chaos.
i had to totally scrub my sister place and my back hurt all night, but im okay now.

maybe pampering can come tomorow?! i have to take care of 3 kids and 3 dogs while the carpets are installed..

Quote:

Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Oh good, I just read your update. That's great that you can hide down in your sister's suite, even if you had to clean it first
Stacy
(Feb DDC)

User Tag List