Cytotec?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At my last appointment my midwife and I talked about what will happen if I go past 42 weeks. She only delivers up to that point.

A little background information: I'm not sure on my dates. I could only remember the week that my period started, not the day. My cycles had been very irregular due to very high stress and had just begun to resume a semi-normal cycle. I didn't get a positive pregnancy test until about six days after my period "should" have shown up if it was operating on a normal schedule. I told my midwife all of this and also reminded her repeatedly throughout my pregnancy.

She said that because of that we can likely slide a few more days before having to go to the hospital to be induced. The thought of having to have a hospital birth affected me badly so I wasn't paying attention to what she said next. She told me that we'd likely start it off with Cytotec if my cervix needed it (she mentioned some exact circumstances, I don't remember if she said not dilated and effaced or just one of those) and then we'd move on to Pitocin.

It didn't hit me until later... Cytotec?!? I've heard/read so many bad things about inducing with Cytotec, especially if you have already had several births (as I have). I never thought that I'd have to deal with this and I'm at a loss. I know that she can't force me to do anything but I need to know my options.

Basically I'm looking for support. What are my options other than Cytotec? Can the hospital refuse to induce me if I refuse the drug (which I'm not so sure would be a bad thing)? And has anyone had to deal with their caregiver suddenly dropping this bomb on them?

Mama to two boys and a girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 PM

Wanted to send you a hug!
I would try stripping the membranes, evening primrose oil, castor oil and then possibley breaking the bag of waters before I would ever try any kind of synthetic form of labor induction, but thats just me. I dont know all the details about it off the top of my head but it makes me nervous. im having a vbac though so my situation is different in some ways.

you can refuse anything you dont want and there are other induction methods. A friend of mine had a foley cathiter to induce and it worked great for her and she was able to have a vba2c.

I wish you the best!!
Angela
Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 PM

if the hospital refuses to induce you, that's a win/win right? But as one of the nurses reminded me when I told her I didn't want the pitocin to reduce the risk of hemorrhage "You have the right to refuse any treatment or medications. And I'd probably refuse if I were you too, you're doing just fine."

Refuse it, and don't feel guilty. The dr. that "delivered" my baby threw some cytotec in there after the baby was out and I almost FLIPPED OUT but it was too late. I didn't get the chance to tell her I didn't want it so she didn't technically go against my wishes so I'm not sure there's anything I can do. It's 9 days later and so far I don't seem to be noticing the usual problems associated with it, so we'll see.

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM

I have to agree with Angela on the induction.. I would ask to strip membranes, break bag of water and lastly Pitocin..

there was talk of this and Cervidal on another board I am on and this is what was listed from one that is a nurse.

The pill is cytotec (Misoprostol). It is associated with increased uterine rupture and increased overstimulation of the uterus.
Cytotec is an ulcer medication that is NOT FDA approved for induction of labor. http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/misopro.htm

Breaking my water always worked for me as well as Pit but they turned that off as soon as my water was broken. HTH!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 AM

They used Cytotec on me and ended up needing to stop my contractions....I would find an alternative....
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM

My ob/gyn is perfectly happy with trying a Foley catheter a couple of days before the induction is scheduled if you're not at all dilated yet. All the Cytotec is supposed to do is ripen your cervix, so if you're at all dilated, they shouldn't be using it. You should talk to your midwife now about using a catheter a day or two earlier just so it's not an issue.

Unfortunately, if the catheter doesn't work, my understanding is that the other medicinal inserts really have a very low success rate.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM

i have read some very, very awful things associated with cytotec, and would take any large number of alternatives to avoid it. i am really sorry you're in this position- maybe it won't get to that.

i remember reading this thread a while ago. it was about an oral cytotec induction, but i found it to contain a lot of first-hand info from birth professionals about the overall risks of the med. hope it's helpful, and not just fear-mongering.

hcm
p.s. could you ask for cervidil instead?
again, i hope it just doesn't come to that...

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'm doing everything I can to get labor started on my own. I was iffy but I'm going to get my membranes stripped at my next appointment if I haven't gone into labor yet. I'm also going to tell my midwife that I won't be using the cytotec, no matter what. Hopefully she'll understand, I have no idea how she'll react to that since her weird personality change and I don't want bad feelings.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm doing everything I can to get labor started on my own. I was iffy but I'm going to get my membranes stripped at my next appointment if I haven't gone into labor yet. I'm also going to tell my midwife that I won't be using the cytotec, no matter what. Hopefully she'll understand, I have no idea how she'll react to that since her weird personality change and I don't want bad feelings.
You are the one having the baby and she should respect YOUR choices on how you labor! ((HUGS)) I hope the membrane stripping works for you!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Very true. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 PM

I commend you on sticking to your guns. However, I was not able to do this with both of my boys 3 yo and 9 months. I was not progressing along as needed to (no changes in cervix) and bag of waters already ruptured (more than 12 hours prior). My OB/GYN and DO, both used cytotec vaginally for my deliveries and all three of us are doing great - no problems. They use cytotec frequently with Pitocin and have not seen the rare side effects from this. The listed side effects can also happen with natural labor as well. I am not trying to convince you to use Cytotec, just giving you another voice. Hope things go well. Keep us all posted.

User Tag List