Aesop Glenn's birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aesop Glenn was born peacefully at home at 5:44p on Friday, January 25, 2007 after an intense 13-hour labor. He was 7 lbs., 12 oz. and 20.5 in. long. He has a very delicious and fuzzy head, his dad's cleft chin and long fingers, and really bright blue eyes (for now, anyway). And it only took us three days to name him.

I was having irregular contractions and lots of signs of early labor for a couple of days before active labor really hit me hard at about 9:00a on the 25th. There was nothing--no book, no advice, no second-hand experience, no relaxation technique--that could have possibly ever prepared me for the pain of labor. It was terrible and beautiful: it seared everything clear and clean and white and I became totally feral... a roaring, moaning beast. It sounds silly now, but at one point I was pretty sure I was going to die.

The pushing stage lasted for more hours than I care to count. At one point I was begging the midwife to take me to the hospital and cut him out of me. Thankfully, she refused and he was delivered medication- and intervention-free.

I actually had some pretty serious blood loss--1200 CCs--and a second-degree tear that required six stitches (all the way from my vagina to my anus). I only started sitting up yesterday, which has made things a lot easier. My body is currently a mess and healing can't progress quickly enough.

The days since his birth have been a blur of breastfeeding, diaper changes, and epic snugglefests. I know co-sleeping doesn't work for everyone, but I can't imagine not sleeping snuggled up to Aesop--it's like snuggling cats times 2342798. He's been a blast so far. I had no idea newborns could be so alert, active, and strong. The day he was born, he could already hold his head up and look around (thanks again, natural birth!). He spends a lot of time trying to figure out all the stuff that he sees.

He's still a little battle-worn, but here are a few photos of him when he was still fresh out of the womb:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Aesop%20Rocks/

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM

i'm so happy to finally get to read this story! i've been thinking about you guys a lot lately. hope you heal up quickly (yowch), and continue to have such a wonderful babymoon.

love the pics! (i was wondering which of the ladies on VP was you. now i know!)

happy snuggling,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 05:42 PM

Congrats To-Fu . . . your birth story sounds so similar to mine (with my first son) except I was in the hospital. I did seriously think at one point I was going to die and I also begged for a c-section. Anyway, you did a fantastic job, Mama!!! Way to go. Enjoy your new little one! Best of wishes to you.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#4 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 PM

sounds really intense! glad he is here. love the name.
#5 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too felt like I was going to die at a certain point with my first and tore to my anus. Not fun. Congratulations on your little one. LOVE his name! I hope you heal up soon. There is something otherworldly about touching your feral animal side, isn't there?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#6 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
he is beautiful and what a great name. i loved your description of birth, perfect. i read it and thought; oooh yeahhh... it's amazing how memory of it softens over time

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#7 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
There was nothing--no book, no advice, no second-hand experience, no relaxation technique--that could have possibly ever prepared me for the pain of labor. It was terrible and beautiful: it seared everything clear and clean and white and I became totally feral... a roaring, moaning beast. It sounds silly now, but at one point I was pretty sure I was going to die.
nak
to-fu, this is so true...the roaring, moaning beast is really in all of us, i believe, and it is how i got through labor this time. i was planning on doing hypnobabies, holy cow, i pretty much threw most of what i had been practicing out the window and i became very feral. it was not the birth i had envisioned, it was intense, but it was beautiful. women are so amazing, we are incredible, birth is so natural...women are really all connected through this experience we all have.

thanks for sharing your pics of Aesop! just beautiful, what a fresh little guy.

oh yes, co-sleeping is really the only way we will have it...we never even tried the co-sleeper...i want him in bed snuggled with me! nico is 3 weeks old today and cuddling with him really helped get me through some rough postpartum emotions.

healing totally takes time, just take things slow.

i'm sure he is going to continue being a blast, it never wears off ime.

congrats to-fu, thanks for sharing your story.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#8 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 PM

welcome sweet one!! congrats mama..

i love his name!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#9 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 PM

He's gorgeous! Oh, that chin!!! Wow

Your story is beautiful too.
#10 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 PM

Been thinking about you mama thanks for sharing your story...beautiful pictures I love the one of you and him ....Enjoy your little babe mama....

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#11 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Congratulations!! He's a cutie. And you don't sound silly, I also felt like I'd die at one point during birth with my oldest.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#12 of 17 Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 PM

congratulations!!! i'm glad you were able to stay home speedy healing vibes to you.
#13 of 17 Old 01-31-2008, 12:23 AM

He's gorgeous - congrats! Happy healing!
#14 of 17 Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM

Congratulations! I love his name & his dimpled chin!
Sounds like an intense labour, but *you did it*!!!
Hope you heal quickly & enjoy your babymoon

Stacy
(Feb DDC)
#15 of 17 Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 PM

What a birth you survived! Good for you mama! I bet you're super proud. You should be. Your little one is gorgeous...and I have to say I totally, totally dig his name!

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

#16 of 17 Old 01-31-2008, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Beautiful name! Congratulations!!!

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#17 of 17 Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 PM

Congratulations!!!
: