how's the diapering going? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 02-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diapering is going pretty well for us. We've learned that the more expensive the diaper the quicker he will poo in it and the more bountiful the poo will be. We put him in a fancy Mutt to go to the doctor in and he'll poo before we leave the house. I put him in a Goodmama the other day just to see how it fit and he poo'ed as soon as I set him down in his swing, it leaked out the sides and all over the swing cover. Whee.

Mostly we're using KL0's and prefolds. I love my wool and am buying more of it so I can use the 'plastic pants' (as my mom calls them) less often. I don't like those at all.

We change at night when I feed him. Usually I do one breast then pass him off to the DH while I get up and use the bathroom and DH changes him which usually wakes him up enough to get a good feed off the other breast (or the poppin' fresh tata as I like to call it). His diapers usually get soaked through but I expected that.

Even my DH likes the cloth diapers though his prefold skillz are lacking. It can be a little tricky at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post
We change at night when I feed him. Usually I do one breast then pass him off to the DH while I get up and use the bathroom and DH changes him which usually wakes him up enough to get a good feed off the other breast (or the poppin' fresh tata as I like to call it).
that's sort of what i do too. i do the diaper change myself, but i let the baby hang out on the changing table between boobs so i can go to the bathroom, grab some water, etc. when we're better able to do side-lying nursing i'll be less inclined to do night changes, but right now i'm waking up anyway...

"poppin' fresh tata" cracks me up!
#33 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

Two boobs at night? My sleepy eater wouldn't dream of it! He nods off so fast it is unbelievable!

Anyone know about any good wahm covers?
#34 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
Two boobs at night? My sleepy eater wouldn't dream of it! He nods off so fast it is unbelievable!

Anyone know about any good wahm covers?
Im ordering some pockets from Chunky Monkey. Ive heard really good things and you just cant beat the price. I also wanted to order a BG 3.0 and a couple more Thirsties covers and it is nice to be able to do that from the same place.
http://www.chunkymonkeydiapers.com/

I also know that StrawHatBrat from his DDC makes adorable embroidered diapers and her fatty cakes pattern is really popular over at diaper sewing divas.
#35 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 PM

thanks hypnomama!
#36 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

I have the BG 3.0 and LOVE them! Mt 2 yr old can make it thru the night with the soaker in it and newborn soaker and she pees thru 2-3 sposies a night. My 4 wk old can last all night too with the newborn soaker or 2 newborn soakers in them. I swear by these after having done all kinds for my 2 yr old and all leaked until now!

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#37 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
g&a

I got up the nerve to CD at night last night and it went super well. We used a stacinator fleece wrap over a CPF and Jamtots hemp doubler. i put it on her at 10 or 11 pm and it was still doing ok at 8am when we got up. YAY!!

g,

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#38 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 03:20 PM

So far we're mostly doing prefolds with a BSWW cover. I have a few KL0's too, but I only use those at home since they're not as absorbent. The biggest struggle has been trying to find a fold/cover combo to minimize the big butt syndrome. I have trouble snapping some of her 0-3 sleepers around the legs because the diaper is too big. Not to mention squeezing pants on over it. I have a few AIOs and BG3.0 pockets that work really well and are very trim, but I'm too cheap to buy more and use them exclusively. Plus there's that happy feeling that I get from using prefolds. I don't know what it is - I think the simplicity of it all just makes me feel good. (Yes, I'm weird. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom
i have 2 doz gmd pfs in newborn size and 2 doz in infant size. i was really bummed when i couldn't even get the newborn ones to wrap around his big waist enough to snappi.
Have you tried spreading the front of the diaper out a little? I had this issue with infant prefolds with DS2. He had the buddha belly so by 2-3 months the IPFs were hard to snappi even though they still fit in the rise. I just did a regular angel wing fold and spread the front apart a little so it would reach the tabs.
#39 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 11:36 PM

Hopping in from the Oct 08 DDC. If anyone has a little lot of kissaluvs 0's that they want to sell please feel free to PM me. I'd like to buy some second hand because it seems most of you are really loving them. No hurry of course.
#40 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bughead View Post
Have you tried spreading the front of the diaper out a little? I had this issue with infant prefolds with DS2. He had the buddha belly so by 2-3 months the IPFs were hard to snappi even though they still fit in the rise. I just did a regular angel wing fold and spread the front apart a little so it would reach the tabs.
yep, i tried that, but i can't get enough overlap for things to feel secure enough to justify using the smaller pfs. i'd rather not risk another messy blowout. i've actually gotten a little better with the larger (infant size) pfs over the last couple of days, now that i have a bunch of fitted dipes ordered and on their way to me... of course. still, i'm not confident enough to use the pfs overnight- i just cannot imagine the horror of a blowout in our bed, and i've never had a blowout with the kl0s. so i will rotate the new fitteds and the pfs for daytime use, and stick with my kl0s overnight. and ditch the sposies! woot!

tonight, my husband told me he was proud of me for doing cloth. not that i need his affirmations to feel good about myself, but hey, it felt good.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#41 of 51 Old 02-15-2008, 07:22 PM

We just use an infant PF and a prowrap or bummis whisper wrap cover. I tried a stacinator with a prefold once and it soaker right through...I don't know much about the wool though. Any tips, info?

At first we just folded the infant (never used newborn PF ) PF in thirds and laid into the diaper, but after 3 weeks my girl weighed 10lbs and we had to move from a newborn cover to a small cover. She started blowing out every diaper, so now I twist the diaper in between her legs, snappi, and then put on the cover. She almost never blows out now.

I am having issues with diaper rash and I change pretty often. At night she sleeps for 3-4 hour stretches and I change her every time I wake up to feed her inbetween sleeping. During the day I change her everytime I hear her poo, and when she wakes up from napping right before I feed her. I bought some desitin, but I am not crazy about it... Any other diaper rash tips?

Also, how do you know when babe has diahrea (sp?) and not just regular poo...I can't tell the difference. I am wondering if that is why she has a rash tho...

Cortney Mama to Lyra 1-20-08 and future midwife through Birthingway College of Midwifery
#42 of 51 Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 PM

Calendula ointment.
#43 of 51 Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

i second calendula diaper cream - the one weleda makes is excellent. it's pricey, but so worth it.

we also have "airing out" time around here, usually at least a few minutes a day at the least. our changing table is by a window and ds likes to lay there and look up at the sky with a nakey bum for a bit (w/ a prefold tucked under him). it's good to air out before putting the diaper cream on.

also, the type of wipes we use matters for my kids. i've tried cloth wipes w/ both of them, and sadly the disposable ones (either 7th generation or pampers for "sensitive" skin) have worked better at keeping them rash free.
#44 of 51 Old 02-15-2008, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My girls have REALLY sensitive skin (we can barely even use PUL, mostly wool or coverless around here ) and my favorite diaper rash solution is lanolin (the little tube you use on your sore breast is what I use. (It also healed some really bad cuts on a cow's teats this week ) Also letting their bottom dry completely and get some sun seems to help. The only wipes I use are cloth with just some warm water - no solution.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#45 of 51 Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Yep, I like lanolin too. (Lansinoh)
#46 of 51 Old 02-16-2008, 01:18 PM

add tea tree oil drops to your water will help also.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#47 of 51 Old 02-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoula View Post
I don't know much about the wool though. Any tips, info?

------------------

I am having issues with diaper rash and I change pretty often. At night she sleeps for 3-4 hour stretches and I change her every time I wake up to feed her inbetween sleeping. During the day I change her everytime I hear her poo, and when she wakes up from napping right before I feed her. I bought some desitin, but I am not crazy about it... Any other diaper rash tips?

Also, how do you know when babe has diahrea (sp?) and not just regular poo...I can't tell the difference. I am wondering if that is why she has a rash tho...
Have you Lanolized the cover? You may want to try that.

Desitin might make your diapers repel. I used Northern Essence Diaper Salve. It is awesome and all natural. www.northernessence.com I think Burts and Aveno make diaper friendly diaper creams. The Northern Essence rocks tho, I havent had a full on rash yet, at the slightest sign of red I put some on liberally and voila, it is usually gone by the next diaper change. Do you use wipes? If you are using anything but water on them you may want to try just water. Have you tried giving your LO more naked time? We let our LO go nekkid for a half hour in the mornings and before bed. She loves it.

Breastfed babies rarely have diahrea, how many dirty diapers is she having a day? What makes you think they are diahrea? Are there any curds? Are they yellow?
#48 of 51 Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM

I'm using all disposables now b/c I had a c/s and I really can't be walking down to the basement everyday to do laundry (i live on the 2nd floor). I plan on switching to cloth in a few weeks. I'm all for cloth... but lately i've been sorta scared about the big switch... I may start out w/ a diaper service and then buy my own. I'm nervous about getting a system down and buying the right diapers. Anyone else have anxiety at first? Any advice to ease the transition?
#49 of 51 Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
g&a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasta216 View Post
I'm using all disposables now b/c I had a c/s and I really can't be walking down to the basement everyday to do laundry (i live on the 2nd floor). I plan on switching to cloth in a few weeks. I'm all for cloth... but lately i've been sorta scared about the big switch... I may start out w/ a diaper service and then buy my own. I'm nervous about getting a system down and buying the right diapers. Anyone else have anxiety at first? Any advice to ease the transition?
I hear ya! I was nervous about starting CDing. It's been so much easier than I ever expected. I finally decided on prefolds and covers because they are the most simple option (I often find the most simple option to be the easiest). You just throw the dirty laundry in the wash when you notice you're getting low on clean dipes (when you have to use the ones you don't like anyways.).
One thing that has really helped for me is to relax and realize that I don't need the perfect stash, just one that works. I only have one cover that I really like, but I have enough to get by. The people who post pics of their diaper stashes usually have massed fantastically beautiful diapers. It's an ideal, not a necessity.

Take it easy on yourself for a while post surgery. Take care of you first.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#50 of 51 Old 02-18-2008, 10:37 PM

:

i would just add that you should give yourself time to get used to prefolds if you go that route. it took me a number of frustrating days to feel comfortable with them (and in the meantime, i went ahead and bought more fitteds than i know i needed to buy, now that i am doing better with the pfs).

give yourself time with the cloth. you don't even have to quit sposies cold turkey. i used them at night for a few days till i felt like i really was really comfortable with my cloth system.

now i am happily cloth diapering! hooray! and you can, too.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#51 of 51 Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 AM

I had total cd'ing anxiety when we first started with dd1. Hang in there! You can do it! We're using hemp fitted dipes from RB and wool covers that I make. It's the same system we used for heavy-wetting dd1 with huge success. So far, dd2 seems to be a heavy-wetter, too. I am going to have to sew some larger covers very soon, though. LO's thighs are starting to get snug in the small covers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page