how's the diapering going? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with my first baby we did a diaper service. i never realized i could do more than trifold a prefold and lay it in a wrap. we had lots of blowouts in those days!!

this time we're washing our own. i mostly used craigslist, resale shops, and diapperswappers with some new prefolds thrown in for an eclectic stash. i'm having lots of fun trying things out.

what i'm loving most is a newspaper folded and snappied infant prefold in an imse vimse cover, but other covers are working fine. the prefold is more absorbant than kl0s are, which is nice because sometimes my baby sleeps for 4-5 hour stretches right after nursing for an hour and i don't want to wake him for a change. kl0s are better for times when i know he'll be changed often. he never minds being wet, but i hate opening a wrap and finding a drenched pee sauna.

i've dabbled with pockets, to keep him drier, but nothing fits his body well yet. he always poops in the pockets right away anyway

what's really working for the longer stretches is a fleece lined hemp doubler inside a prefold or kl0. i don't even know where i got the doublers, i think some were thrown in when i purchased something else. they're awesome. i also like motherease airflow wraps for the long stretches of sleep. they are not trim at all, but the side vents also help minimize the pee sauna effect.

i'd love to know what's working for everyone else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 02-05-2008, 10:47 AM

the only cloth diapers i bought this time around were Fuzzi Bunzand bumGenius AIOs...

my baby girl is still too small for them, so we're using paper diapers.
#3 of 51 Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 AM

I bought a huge stash of Kissaluvs size 0 and covers (proraps and a bummis super whisper). I LOVE them! They fit her tiny little bottom well (6 lb 12 oz) and seem to hold everything in so far. I get so happy every time I put a diaper on her, to cover her with something so soft and cuddly!

Our boys laugh at her "black girl booty" (she's white and most of them are black!).

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#4 of 51 Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloise24 View Post
Our boys laugh at her "black girl booty" (she's white and most of them are black!).
Cute

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#5 of 51 Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is my 3rd cloth diapered baby, so we have it down by now, but I have a ton of really cute tiny newborn diapers and she is outgrowing some of them already . My other girls were all tiny 6lbers and worn newborn diapers for over a month. Baby O was almost 8lbs and is so much bigger and chunkier than her sisters!

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#6 of 51 Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM

I had a C sec so I got back and forth with cloth and paper.. and with 2 in dipes that's easier right now. Dh changes Aidan and he does not do well with toddler poo and spraying it off so paper it is for now.

I brought 2 cloth dipes to the hospital with me and well he was too BIG for them.. The one I got on him was a Hill billybunny fitted and it was on the last snaps.
First Cloth Dipe

Here's the first pair of longies i knitted and I could barely get them on him.. I think this is the only time he will be able to wear them. lol. This was his *coming home outfit*

Longies

and this was a gift from another cloth mama in a gift exchange we did and he is wearing a T&T prefitted snappi'd under it. The soaker is from biltmorebaby off Hyenacart.

Soaker

I am glad I went mostly with fitteds and prefitted's. He was bigger than we expected ( 10lbs 6oz) and the prefitteds fit him well and have room to grow. We skipped the NB dipes and went straight to smalls.
#7 of 51 Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM

We tried really hard for the first 5 days or so to use gDiapers, but he's still too small for them. Every time he wet or pooped, we had a blowout. Ugh! So, we're using Seventh Generation paper diapers until he puts on a little more weight.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#8 of 51 Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 PM

We're using KL0s with Bummis Whisper Wraps and Super Whisper Wraps. In general it's going well; the laundry isn't too bad. However, sometimes DD wets through the dipe and soaks her pants, when she takes a longer nap. I'm on the hunt for some wool covers; anyone have one they like and can recommend to me?
#9 of 51 Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 AM

Love the fluff! We use prefolds with covers. I love the Thirsties covers, but dont prefer PUL so we only use them when we go out. Most of the time we use homeade fleece and wool covers.. here is a pic:

DD in a wool interlock cover I made yesterday....I <3 wool.
#10 of 51 Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
We tried really hard for the first 5 days or so to use gDiapers, but he's still too small for them. Every time he wet or pooped, we had a blowout. Ugh! So, we're using Seventh Generation paper diapers until he puts on a little more weight.
I have G diapers that we were going to use at the hospital and in the beginning, but the ds was born 3 week early and is just now 8 lb 13 oz. I tried him in the g diapers and he leaked everywhere. I am going to try again when he is a little bigger. I figured they would be ideal for traveling/going out, but I may have to end up selling as i have read that many people have problems with g-diapers leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post
We're using KL0s with Bummis Whisper Wraps and Super Whisper Wraps. In general it's going well; the laundry isn't too bad. However, sometimes DD wets through the dipe and soaks her pants, when she takes a longer nap. I'm on the hunt for some wool covers; anyone have one they like and can recommend to me?
I have been using Under the Nile fitteds with a the Aristocrat woolcover at night/longer naps, and no joke, I can wait 7 hours during the night and it doesnt get messy at all. I know I should change him more, but right now he is swaddled so tight and changing ends up being a real process. If I re-wrap him it fully wakes him up and it is harder to get him back to sleep. I will do better when he has more arm control and doesnt need swaddled. But he isnt rashy or anything.
#11 of 51 Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 AM

rosie29

Here are the aristocrats. They arent cheap, but they are totally worth it.
I saw a small go for 17.00 on diaper swappers the other day.

aristocrats

here is pic of my 8 week old ds in it. He is crying, poor guy. Smalls are said to fit 7-20 lbs. but GMD say more like 2 months to 20 pounds. He is in the small and he weighs 8 lb 13 oz, but does have skinny waist/legs (just like his daddy). He is currently in newborn clothes, but would still be in preemie pants if it wasnt for the length. That is just to give you an idea on size.

jack in aristocrat
#12 of 51 Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM

We hand wash our cloth diapers does anyone know of a way to make air dry stuff softer??

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#13 of 51 Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 PM

I have only heard of using fabric softner to soften clothes, but that isnt something you would want to do with diapers. I have heard that vinegar softens, but it seems that not everyone feels this way. I have not tried it.

I would love to air dry our diapers, but I have huge texture issues, a major one being cotton. The diapers make me cringe when they come out of the dryer, so I dont think I could handle the air dry feel. I will try it this summer though, and see how it goes.
#14 of 51 Old 02-08-2008, 02:19 AM

Anybody have any good links to instructions on folding prefolds? I am looking for variations on my "old standard" fold to help contain the blowouts. We received 3 months of diaper service as a gift.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#15 of 51 Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 PM

#16 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 06:56 PM
g&a

We've had fun with diapering, and are just settling into it now (R. is 6 weeks old). For some silly reason I didn't expect to have a preemie baby, so bought all smalls. I had to redo all the research and find newborn covers and prefolds. Of course, the newborn prefolds aren't available in canada, so I had to stalk diaperswappers until I found some. Right now I have 2 newborn covers and a dozen infant prefolds that I trifold the wrong way into the covers. It's working well, but I have to wash them very often until I get more. I haven't worked up the courage to CD overnight. I like my sleep too much.

Actually, it's going a lot easier than I expected after reading all the threads on CDing. I sure wish I'd done this with kid#1.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#17 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
I have G diapers that we were going to use at the hospital and in the beginning, but the ds was born 3 week early and is just now 8 lb 13 oz. I tried him in the g diapers and he leaked everywhere. I am going to try again when he is a little bigger. I figured they would be ideal for traveling/going out, but I may have to end up selling as i have read that many people have problems with g-diapers leaking.
We did a lot of reading about this b/c my partner is seriously traumatized over having to use paper diapers. We found out that most people can't use gDiapers leak-free until their babies are over 9 lbs. We're going to try again soon, but we got so sick of changing his clothes and blankets every time he peed/pooed... not to mention having to sleep on Chux pads at night to protect the bed!

I really want gDiapers to work out, so we're not giving up yet.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#18 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 07:53 PM

i hate my pfs.

i have 2 doz gmd pfs in newborn size and 2 doz in infant size. i was really bummed when i couldn't even get the newborn ones to wrap around his big waist enough to snappi. the infant ones go around his waist (not very loosely, though), but they are SO bunched up between his legs, that it seems pretty immobilizing. and they aren't long enough to fold over inside like every set of directions advises, so there's not a lot of protection up front. i can't get them right, and every poop blows out everywhere.

i love the kl0s i got used on ds, but it's weird- i got some from one person in white/natural, and some colors from another person, and the color ones are actually a little bigger (a few centimeters, not enough to question that they're size 0, despite the tag). the extra cms help, cause the kl0s are already really tight around his thighs. and i only have 18, and we tear through nearly 2 doz dipes a day, so i'm rotating some sposies in there at night. i would buy more kl0s, cause they work well for the mess, but it seems like he's almost already outgrown them, and i don't know where to go from here.

majorly bummed. i don't want to buy any more sposies, and i'll be out soon. wish i could figure out a good solution.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#19 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 PM

This is my second baby in cloth. My first was lots of experiments but I've pretty much got it in the bag now.

HardCore Mom, I can't snappi the newborn size prefold. I have to pin it. I pin just the tiniest bit of flap after doing the newspaper fold.

I primarily use prefolds but I also have some Kissaluvs 0's the fitted and the ones with the snaps. I hardly use those . . . he pees right through them. I also have about a dozen small Fuzzi Bunz that my older son never wore (he breezed right through that size). I save those for going out and nighttime. At night, I stuff the FBs with a prefold and microfiber.

My covers are wool ones that I knit and crocheted. I also have some Cot'n wraps (which I can't stand--they need a cover). I have some ProRaps too which work very well. I also have one Motheease wrap which I love the best but I only have one.

I'm glad that the diapering situation is under control. I have so much else tow worry about . . . good gosh!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#20 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
HardCore Mom, I can't snappi the newborn size prefold. I have to pin it. I pin just the tiniest bit of flap after doing the newspaper fold.
thanks for the suggestion- i'm trying to find my diaper pins, but i'm not sure i have them anymore. i've kinda given up on the idea of the newborn pfs, and i'm eager to make the infant ones work. my ds is a very heavy wetter and i wish i could come up with a fold that works for us. more practice, i guess?

hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#21 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post
thanks for the suggestion- i'm trying to find my diaper pins, but i'm not sure i have them anymore. i've kinda given up on the idea of the newborn pfs, and i'm eager to make the infant ones work. my ds is a very heavy wetter and i wish i could come up with a fold that works for us. more practice, i guess?

hcm
Ummm . . . more changes. I'm changing every hour. Lots of work.

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#22 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
Ummm . . . more changes. I'm changing every hour. Lots of work.
oh, goodness, i'm changing him at least that often, too. i don't know how anyone cding gets any sleep at night, either. i surely don't!

#23 of 51 Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
oh, goodness, i'm changing him at least that often, too. i don't know how anyone cding gets any sleep at night, either. i surely don't!
Yeah . . . I know. I have seriously considered sposies for night . . . right now, I'm doing the FuzziBunz with lots and lots of stuffing. Poor baby looks so immobilized though. I don't know. No better solutions out there it seems.

#24 of 51 Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 AM

I must be lucky Peace only gets up 2 times at night to get changed and eat.

BTW if you are hand washing vinegar does make them much much softer!!!! I just added a couple cups to my rinse bucket with a few drops of lavender oil..

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#25 of 51 Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahirakids View Post
I must be lucky Peace only gets up 2 times at night to get changed and eat.

BTW if you are hand washing vinegar does make them much much softer!!!! I just added a couple cups to my rinse bucket with a few drops of lavender oil..
You're very lucky!!

#26 of 51 Old 02-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Sorry for those of you who are up so often! Shannon gets up just three times at night and I usually change her then (every three hours it works out to, sometimes more). The diapers are holding things in well and I could probably skip a change but figure maybe she'll sleep longer that way. We're using Kissaluvs and proraps or bssw and they are working great!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#27 of 51 Old 02-10-2008, 05:35 PM

ohhhhhhh, i am so losing it. i HATE prefolds. and i'm not a hater. but really, why don't i just hold his butt up in the air when he's pooping, and let him just spray everything that way? it would eliminate the middle man.

prefolds stink like baby poop.:

#28 of 51 Old 02-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
ohhhhhhh, i am so losing it. i HATE prefolds. and i'm not a hater. but really, why don't i just hold his butt up in the air when he's pooping, and let him just spray everything that way? it would eliminate the middle man.

prefolds stink like baby poop.:

I've been thinking about elimination communication too!

#29 of 51 Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
: I don't change at night.

We always do the first few nights, then I get lazy, I need my sleep too much to get both (or all 3) of us up and awake to change diapers. We use a nice thick hemp diaper, with either a prowraps cover, or a nice thick wool soaker. She gets changed into this around 11-midnight when DH comes to bed, and we get up at 6. The diaper is SOAKED by morning, an sometimes her jammies will be slightly damp, but it is worth it to me to not wake up all the way at night

I use vinegar in my rinse as a fabric softener - this works on all clothes!

I can't use prefolds on a newborn, they just never work right. That is all we used with #2 for a long time and now I love my nice stash of newborn diapers. Once they are a couple of months old, prefolds seem to work much better.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#30 of 51 Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM

: I too dont change at night. We also go from about 11-6, last night I changed becaue he pooped right after bed time and then again at 3, so I felt bad about him hanging out in all that poop.

I have no problems with prefolds, but I dont like the bummis wrap. I hate the snap wrap. I want to find a good wahm cover and maybe try the thirsties cover.I realy enjoy my utn fitteds, Iwas to kissaluvs too. I need more money for all this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page