Marty's Birth Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Martin Emanuel was born 9 days late, on January 30, at 9:55pm. I have been pondering a birth story for almost a week now, but find myself getting so caught up in the details, that I know it will be a long time before I really get the story out of my heart and into words. So for now, anyone still reading this DDC gets the abbreviated version.

At 39 weeks, I became really, really ill with a sinus infection. I was petrified of going into labor. At 40 weeks, I was healthy again, but learned that the baby had moved posterior, and I was afraid I would go into labor before he moved. At 41 weeks, with the baby in the right position, my mw told me that my cervix had moved BACK to face posterior, and had retightened. After 2 weeks of wishing labor away, I became upset that things might not start spontaneously, and that I would have to be induced. (My firstborn was medically induced and subsequently hospitalized for 5 months, so I was naturally petrified of another round with the Pit.) After a very smooth and confident pregnancy, the last weeks were wrought with fear and insecurity- most un-zen of me.

Throughout most of my pregnancy, I went out for a daily 6-mi hike on my wooded street with my sons. It was an invigorating and meditative daily ritual for us. Come late November, pushing 100lbs of toddlers up hill got to be too much, and I concentrated on the treadmill instead. But on Tuesday the 29th, I felt a calling to go back out on my hike again, alone. I bundled up, and headed out into the sleet. It was wonderfully cathartic. I also did 4 miles on the treadmill that day, for a total of 10 miles(!).

On the afternoon of the 30th, I was feeling some light cramping. Around 3pm, I went to lay down, and over the course of the next 30 minutes, realized they were coming every 6 minutes. Not painful at all, but definitely contractions. I spent the next few hours getting last minute stuff together.

The contractions didn't start to get uncomfortable at all until 630. By 730, they were still mild-to-moderate, but were coming every 3-6 minutes. DH and I loaded into the car and made the hour-long trek to the hospital. We got up to the room at 830. Contractions were somewhat painful, but not bad. I was shocked to hear that I was already at an 8! For the next hour and 23 minutes, I labored in the room, draped over a birth ball on the bed.

During that time, it was me and DH, a nurse and the mw. We joked between contractions. It was actually kinda fun. A contraction would come and I would sink deep into myself, focusing on relaxing my cervix, knowing each wave would bring me closer to the baby. It was a very spiritual experience for me, and I would think of the billions of women who had labored before me. I felt very strong.

Then the contractions stopped for a minute or two. I taunted them and laughed. But I had no idea that it was because I was complete. Suddenly, I had this incredible urge to push, and I felt him moving down my birth canal. The nurse paged the mw, who ran in and barely caught Marty in time. 2 pushes, no tears, nothing. Just the work of my body. It was amazing.

Marty was 21 and 3/4 inches long and 8 lbs, 10 oz. He screamed from the moment he popped out. I cut the cord.

I'm still trying to process the experience. It was so empowering, so meditative, so amazing for me. I labored without fear, followed my body, and it was really cool. (My mw said it was in her top 10 births!) I guess I could just sum it up in the word "peaceful." No feeling out-of-control, no overwhelming pain, no panicking cries or screams. It was quiet and sublime. I feel like it brought everything full circle for me.

Anyway, thanks for reading this much, if you have. My mw said that the universe gave me a great gift. I would have to agree.

Marty is awesome- very chill so far. He nurses and sleeps and poops. I am very in love and blessed by the experience. I feel like I haven't really summed up all that it means to me, but maybe that is what makes every woman's birth so special- an experience for them to hold in their hearts.

I miss everyone on this board, and hope you are all doing well.
Peace,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 13 Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh I'm soooo happy to hear you had such a wonderful birth experience, HCM. I can relate to that spiritual feeling, it's so powerful and special. I agree with your mw, the universe did send you a gift. Enjoy every moment! I am glad your son is nursing so well and that you feel so well. You deserve it!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#3 of 13 Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 PM

what a wonderful birth story!
congratulations !

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#4 of 13 Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 PM

Just beatuful hardcoremom....lovely and very inspiring.......
#5 of 13 Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 PM

After everything you went through in the last weeks of your pregnancy, nothing could make me happier than hearing this wonderful birth story. Congratulations, mama!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#6 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 AM

Thanks for sharing such an empowering birth story! Very inspirational as I prepare to give birth soon (visiting from the Feb DDC, due Thursday!)

Welcome to the world Marty (love the name)!

Stacy
#7 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 02:28 AM

Wow. Just wow.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#8 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 AM

you gave me chills and made me feel weepy. i am so glad marty's birth was such a sublime experience after the stress of the weeks leading up to it! you're a definte inspiration, hcm.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#9 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Congratulations! I'm so glad that you had a good birth after all the stress!

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#10 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 PM

P.S. HCM, you amaze and inspire me. Your user name has taken on new meaning for me after reading your birth story. You rock!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#11 of 13 Old 02-07-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
P.S. HCM, you amaze and inspire me. Your user name has taken on new meaning for me after reading your birth story. You rock!
thanks, tofu, but really, my son's birth was a blessing given to me. all of our birth stories deserve the same sense of awe, cause they make us all amazing and strong in our own different ways. i think of your story everyday, and it makes me feel the same about you.

hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#12 of 13 Old 02-09-2008, 01:35 PM

such an empowering story, thank you for sharing it!
#13 of 13 Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 AM

Wow ..... just beautiful --- u took me back to my labor... I am so happy for u....Congrats again!!!!

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page