Mothering Forum banner

Fluff stuff of which I am guilty...how about you?

2K views 60 replies 46 participants last post by  journeymom 
#1 ·
I loved the "fluff stuff" thread (little annoyances that we would like to correct in our DH or SO). However, in the name of fairness (and after reading my thread aloud to DH), I am starting a self-fluff thread.

I know it gets on DH's nerves when I...

a) not shut drawers/cabinets/doors (though I've gotten better since our LO can get into everything"

b) start to tell him something and then say "nevermind"
c) leave my hairbrush out (though I have improved since DS was born since I don't brush my hair too much anymore ug)

d) leave my clothes on the couch (of course, with a howling toddler around, I can't always take time to hang stuff up, right?)
e) tell him his mom is getting on my nerves

I ran these by him and he said he didn't care about my clothes on the couch.

#2 ·
I leave fruit stickers on the sink. The funny thing is my dh totally called me out on it by putting them on doors and cabinets in odd places. He knows I would have a fit if he did it, but it doesn't bother me when I do it.

I never close anything, doors, lids, cabinets, bottles. It drives him insane.

I'm sure there's more, but he would never admit it. He claims that my bad habits don't bother him the way his bother me. I think he lies :) :)

#3 ·
Too many to count!

When I'm petting the cats and get a mass of fur in my hand, I just shake it out onto the floor instead of putting it in the trash. (we sweep every other day anyway!)

I never take out the compost.

I leave my shoes all over the porch instead of setting them on the shoe rack that's right there.

I put an ovulation app on his iPod when we were TTC (I don't have my own iPod)

I don't ever re-set the mileage on the car after I get gas. (he really loves to talk about what type of mileage we get)

and so many more.... but honestly, it makes me happy that the problems we have are all 'fluff' stuff, because we are on the same page on all the big stuff in life.

#4 ·
The biggest one for my DH is that I drink directly from the bottles/cartons in the fridge. I've been doing it for years and he's been chiding me for years. It's not like I would do this if there were guests coming to stay. I mean, we're going to share germs in some capacity.
winky.gif

It irritates him that I've been chewing Nicorette (or the off-brand equivalent) for almost 6 years. Well, that irritates me too but there's never been a good time to stop chewing.

He says that I use too much toilet paper.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post
How is toilet paper usage measured? Intriguing.

Also, did you see the thread awhile back called "Kissing causes cavities?" It is about how transmission of mouth bacteria can (some folks say) cause cavities. I don't know if I believe it or not.

Nicorette is way better for you than smoking. BTDT. Sometimes you gotta have something.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

Add that one to my list. Whenever I'm out of town, he comments about how he rarely has to change the roll when I'm gone. Then again, he's only using it for #2, whereas I'm using it for #1 as well. And pregnancy only means I pee every hour or so... and not being pregnant means I'm using a lot for AF.... (usually by this time in my explanation, he concedes).

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

How is toilet paper usage measured? Intriguing.
DH has a magical power with regard to measuring usage!
orngbiggrin.gif

No really, we've been co-habitating for 21 years and over the years we just started co-habitating the bathroom. He'll stand there and go: "I only use two squares." Well good for you, DH! He's fast with using paper towels which I think is wasteful, so we cancel each other out. It does bother me that we consume so much paper, and I need to work on that area. I admire people who have reduced paper usage.

#8 ·
Great thread!

I use precisely as much toilet paper as I need. Dudes do not get to say how much toilet paper chicks need.

Dh absolutely hates that I have to turn the tv volume up and down constantly. I admit, it's pretty neurotic on my part. I don't like the tv to be loud, I like it to be just right. So in order to cope with loud, booming action sequences, loud, swelling music and quiet dialogue sequences, I just keep my thumb on the volume button the entire time, turning the volume down and up.

He also hates it that I've GOT to find a shady place to park when we're out. If there's a tree with some shade I will go out of my way to park there, even if it means passing up open spots that are closer to the door.

#9 ·
DH suffers because:

I always have a book in front of my nose when he wants to talk to me.

I let clothes pile up on my nightstand.

I rarely wash my car and simply don't care that much what it looks like. It drives him to distraction! It would bother HIM so much to drive a messy car!

Piles of books all over the house.

I am apparently incapable of buying acceptable bananas.

I pick at my fingernails and play with my hair.

Because he gets up first and gets home from work first, he finds and cleans WAY more than his fair share of cat barf, even though it grosses him out much more than it does me.

When the recycling bin is full, I pile more stuff on top intead of taking it out.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
Because he gets up first and gets home from work first, he finds and cleans WAY more than his fair share of cat barf, even though it grosses him out much more than it does me.
I don't know why but this makes me laugh. Not at your husband. Maybe it's because the phrase 'cat barf' is funny.

I'm sorry, I'm in an odd mood today.

#13 ·
I can't hear when I'm reading. But I nod and act like I'm hearing, until I'm called out or must respond. Then I have to ask for a recap. He knows this about me, and I've quit trying to hide it.

I put fruit stickers on the sink. I do it because my mother did it. Drives him nuts.

I leave cabinet doors open, but then again so does he. At least I put the bread away.

I'm unconcerned about the spider building a web all over my kitchen window ledge. She's eating something, right?

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

I can't hear when I'm reading. But I nod and act like I'm hearing, until I'm called out or must respond. Then I have to ask for a recap. He knows this about me, and I've quit trying to hide it.
Totally guilty of this one. It drives him mad. Actually, I tend to listen to something, then get distracted by something, start reading and tune out. That's when he gets really upset.

I shed hair all over the house. At least now that dd's hair is long too, he can't tell which of us is clogging up the drains and the vacuum.

I eat nutella & peanut butter from a spoon and get nutella in the peanut butter jar.

#17 ·
  • I shed hair like crazy so he is constantly picking it out of his clean clothes and blankets and stuff.
  • I am very sensitive to volume so I will be turning up and down the volume all the time on movies and TV and complain of getting a headache when he has stuff on loud for a good period of time.
  • I want to hear every line of dialogue in a show, so I hate when he asks me a question while it's on without pausing (thank goodness there is a pause!)
  • I tend to leave dishes in the sink for awhile and often both sides are full and also put water in something to loosen food then not dump it forever.
  • I don't loosen the car seat straps before getting our toddler out. To me, it's easier to leave them tight all the time and just slip her in and out, but it is hard for him to do that way. I won't budge on this one though since it is my car, he can do the seat in his car however he wants
    smile.gif

#18 ·
We have a clutter problem, specifically relating to his inability to throw away or process mail and work papers.

I know it gets on DH's nerves when I...Sort the mail before he gets home from work. He adores mail in all forms, even junk mail. I immediately toss all junk and file the bills away for payment. If he is lucky, he gets to look at a catalog or two and the newspaper. He considers this a hardship

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post

DH suffers because:

Add this to my DH's list. And add poop to the barf. (Kitty is pushing 19 yo, he has difficulties)

#20 ·
I do the laundry but fail to put it away. It sits in the baskets. Hey at least they make it to our bedroom whether its folded or not is another story. Just a bad habit I got from my mom as well as her mom. Drives DH nuts but not enough for him to step in and put stuff away..lol When it gets bad I do spend the day folding and putting away.

Papers. I have improved on this one big time. by going paperless as much as possible with our bills and such. However I pile everything up with the intent to shred but it just gets shoved into a bag and moved and sits there. When I was gone DH went through 3 small storage tubs and shredded stuff. There was stuff in there from probably 2001. And we have moved many times since then. When I had a desk this was his number one complaint because he could never sit down at the computer without knocking stuff over. It is so huge to him that when we were going through counseling a few years ago it was brought up. So I have improved just not as much as he would like. But every year it does get better..lol Another bad habit I got from my mom and her mom.

Facebook he is very anti Facebook and if he had his way I would deactivate mine.

#21 ·
What IS it with us women and closing drawers and cabinets? I have always done this and it even drives me crazy!

WE (not me, or him) both leave the laundry unfolded until we need the basket for the next load - I cannot complain because

he almost always does the wash - although I mostly fold it - but that is now going to be the new chore for DD : ) except I now have the NEW

and more arduous chore of seeing that she does it
winky.gif

#22 ·
This thread is really funny - thanks for starting it, OP!

I am a zoned-out reader, too. Dh is not much of a reader and it bothers him a *lot* that dd has started getting so lost in books that it is hard to get her attention - which tells me how much *my* reading habit must bug him because I do the same thing!

My "it bothers dh" habits:

--I randomly stay up really late reading or online and then can't function well in the morning so he has to take on extra breakfast-making duty, etc.

--I don't like to make phone calls and tend to dawdle on them till dh takes care of them (well he is the extrovert, not me!)

-- I get stressed out cleaning my house before company comes over.

#24 ·
DH and I are both very... particular, you could say, so we usually convert each other into following our obsessive compulsive ways. That said, there are still some he hasn't managed to instill in me completely:

I put dirty dishes IN the sink, when he wants them NEXT to the sink (it has to do with washing order).

Everything I cook is low on salt.

I don't have a "place" for my cell phone, so he always has to dig around my work bags to find it and charge it for me.
smile.gif

When I go shopping and can't find something on the list, I should transfer it to the new list so we can look again next week, but I almost always forget. He HATES that.

I get moody and cranky sometimes and he ignores/rolls with it, but I always call him out when he's being a pickle.

Gosh, I'm annoying!
lol.gif

#25 ·
I cut my nails in front of him (don't ask)

I leave the cupboard doors open when I cook

I do not care how much gas is in the car as long as it is not on empty

I have been known to leave the car and house doors unlocked

I insist on the bed being made a very certain way and will disturb his sleep to ensure it is made according to standard

I read at night with the light far past when he would like me to turn out the light.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

Add that one to my list. Whenever I'm out of town, he comments about how he rarely has to change the roll when I'm gone.
Wait....guys change toilet paper rolls?
dizzy.gif

My DH might be annoyed by some of my habits, but he never complains. Seriously. We've been together six years and the only thing he has ever fussed at me about is that, in HIS opinion, I wait far too long to start braking after tail-lights brighten in front of us. Nobody else has ever complained about that. My kids think he's crazy. He actually is somewhat crazy.

I am easily annoyed and he has many habits that bother me, but I only complain about approximately 10% of them, because most of them really don't matter in the long run and I don't want to be a nag. He's a great guy, so I try to look at the bright side and notice all the good stuff he does. Plus he worships me.
orngbiggrin.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.