Tonight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have not done anything by outselves since New Year's morning... seven months ago.

My mom offered to watch dc tonight. DH and I are both training for races and hate to miss a workout. I already did my run this morning at 5 a.m. DH still have a ride to do tonight.

I also love to ride, but have already had hard rides on Sun. and Mon. and ran 14 miles Sat., did a hard track workout yesterday, and ran 9 miles this morning. He wants me to just come along on his ride. However, I am no match for him on a good day and today he has a hard ride with climbing repeats. I really don't want to go because I won't be able to keep up, especially after all the hard workout I have done. He wants me to just draft off him and try to keep up.

I thought he should ride home form work and then we could just go eat or something like regular people. He didn't agree and now he doesn't even have his bike so that is out.

Should I cancel with my mom or just go for the ride? I know cancelling with my mom will cause some tension, but I feel somewhat slighted... yet I wouldn't want to have had to miss my run today.

Advice?
#2 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM

He wants, mom wants. What about you?

What's best for your training? Do that. It's unfair for your dh to expect other than what's best to your own training, and i'd say so.

*personally* I don't usually pass up a chance to take a break from dc (not like it happens all the time ) Doesn't matter what you do, gives your mom and dc a chance to bond, you get a break to do whatever recharges you, and it's all good.
#3 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 AM

I'd go out myself . Maybe not what you wanted to hear. But I'd do something myself and then tell dh I'd like to meet him after his ride.

My dh can be a about stuff like this at times.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#4 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I'd go out myself . Maybe not what you wanted to hear. But I'd do something myself and then tell dh I'd like to meet him after his ride.

This.

I can totally relate to the not wanting to mess up your workout schedule (not to mention risking an injury that will make all of your training moot) and I can also relate (as you said you do too!) to his desire to not give up his training schedule.

Go out on your own, see a movie, relax, have fun!! Maybe you can give DH a nice leg massage when he gets home ;-)

Best of luck on your race!!!!
#5 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

: Never pass up free childcare! I think you should do something that only you enjoy, whatever it is and meet up with dh after his ride if you still have time.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#6 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 PM

I agree, I'd go out myself. If your DH doesn't want to join you, that's his decision.

Have fun!

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM

Well, my first choice would be to drive his bike to his work, so he can bike home - repeating hills or no. If that doesn't work for him, then I'd still have your mom babysit, and you go out with a girlfriend or your sister or something. You deserve a break.

I've never done a tri or anything remotely like it, but I did have a daily gym routine a couple of years ago. I NEVER missed a workout unless it was physically impossible to get there. So I do understand feeling like you really need to do that bike ride or run, just for me it was the elliptical machine and weights. Sometimes, although my preference was 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes on the weight machines, 5 minutes on the ball, 5 minutes stretching - I just didn't HAVE an hour and a half (drive there and back, parking, etc). There were times that I'd run in and do 20 minutes on the elliptical then go home.

So I'd call him to let him know you'll drive his bike in to him, so you can have a dinner out together tonight. If he's not up for that, and you don't want to bike today (which sounds reasonable not to want to in your situation), then call a friend!
#8 of 8 Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't listen though. I decided just to go on the bike ride since we had the child care. We got separated anyway though. I hammered home and got a good ride in though.

Thanks for the advice. Next time we have a babysitter I am going to make plans a little more in advance so we can work out our schedules.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page