Can I do anything about irritability? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me there's some magic cure for my mood.
The other symptoms--nausea, exhaustion, nipple soreness while nursing--I can deal with. But I'm feeling really bad for my 2 year old because I have to take some deep breaths to calm myself every time he makes a mess. And, well, he's 2. He makes a lot of messes.
Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 PM

I have been having the same issue, and being way out of line with both DD and DH. Would welcome ideas. I have been "joking" that I don't have morning sickness--I have brain sickness.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 06-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Iron and flax seed oil. Seriously. It's like a miracle cure for pregnancy bitchiness (am I allowed to say that here? it seems like the most appropriate word...). I had a craving for liver and indulged it this morning; my energy level is higher, so I'm nicer to the kids. I still feel fuzzy, but that's because I can't afford the flax seed oil I want right now.

I like the Barlean's FSO capsules, and Floriavital is my preferred form of iron supplementation. Seriously, though-- EFAs go all haywire while you're pregnant (ESPECIALLY if you're nursing) and anemia is so much more common than most people realize.

Once your physical person is in order, it's easier to think objectively about things. It took three or four days of remembering my iron before I was able to recognize that one of the things making me crazy is the amount of stuff in the house. I cleaned, got rid of stuff, put the winter clothing away (my son is still upset about his pink cords, but i digress) and felt a thousand times better.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 06-08-2007, 03:12 PM

I agree with making sure you're getting enough iron - and protein as well. Pregnant nursing mothers need LOTS of protein. This is the fourth pregnancy I've nursed through and I can say that I get *very* irritable when I don't consume enough protein. Keeping yourself well hydrated is good to do as well.

I hope you find something that works for you!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Rynna, how much of each of those?

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 PM

i was taking 9 of the barlean's capsules a day (i think they're 1000 mg each) three at a time, and two teaspoons of floravital once a day. it really changed my entire outlook. also very helpful for tandem nursing (which i'm going to be doing full blast this time, i'm sure ).

Old 06-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Seconding the vote for flax seed oil. I went off the wall irritable with dd, started supplementing with other stuff- nothing. I tried evening primrose oil and suddenly my mood swings were back under control: and with trial and error, I found fso worked better (I use epo when I run out, though.). It's not just during pregnancy, you need it throughout breastfeeding as well.

If I'd thought about it before, this would probably have stopped the problems I had with PND with the boys. It's got to be significant that the only child I supplemented my omega 3's with is the only one I didn't have any depression with, surely?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM

As soon as I started taking some omega-3's, the prenantals, and an extra b-complex I was like a completely different person - I remember it was Tuesday and all I could keep saying was how human I felt. Definitely look into some efa's.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Seconding the vote for flax seed oil. I went off the wall irritable with dd, started supplementing with other stuff- nothing. I tried evening primrose oil and suddenly my mood swings were back under control: and with trial and error, I found fso worked better (I use epo when I run out, though.). It's not just during pregnancy, you need it throughout breastfeeding as well.

If I'd thought about it before, this would probably have stopped the problems I had with PND with the boys. It's got to be significant that the only child I supplemented my omega 3's with is the only one I didn't have any depression with, surely?

: It's just an amazing thing. Look for a FSO product that's cold-pressed and refrigerated from the begining. EFAs aren't terribly stable at room temperature. Florivital only needs to be refrigerated after it's opened. I didn't get quite as much effect from EPO, but in a pinch it's better than nothing. It makes me nervous during pregnancy, though, so I try to avoid it until I'm at the very end.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh, you guys are awesome. I've got some flax seed oil in my refrigerator right now, and tomorrow I'll go Floriavital hunting. Thanks!
Quote:
brain sickness

ETA: and protein and hydration! so important!

User Tag List