Weekly chat thread June 25-July 1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I noticed we haven't had one of these up yet. Apart from puking, worrying because we're not puking and cramping, what's everyone up to?

We had a pretty good weekend- it's been raining nonstop here, but we dragged everyone out to an open day at the community gardens down the road. Lots of craft activities for the kids to do, some alpaca for us to fuss over (I'm a spinner) and cake and nice plants and mud and stuff. It was cool.
Today is being taken up with taxi-ing children to and from school, toddler groups and birthday parties. I got a nap in this afternoon, but I'm already desperate for another one :

(edited cos I got the dates wrong.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 PM

Hey this is great. Needing to talk ( or write ) I used "whine and complain". I'm sure those who care enough to read would be more interrested in my happy days that my crummy moments.

Thanks!
Kim ( Daniel 6 and David 2 mommie )
Old 06-25-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah- for me this is a pretty happy time, and I feel superstitious about whining anyhow. Life is sweet here- DH handed his huge university project in last Thursday so we get time to spend together, and most of the things that were really bugging me a few weeks ago, not so much now.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Well we had an exciting week. My 26 birthday was on Friday (22) and we got married that day at the court house, then saw Knocked Up (so funny), and had dinner at the Melting Pot, fondue.

Dh and I have had some vacation this week, his brother came for a day and now his bf and another friend are here for a few days. I go back to work on Tues...not sure how I feel about that but I am sure it will be good.

I have been feeling ok, can't sleep so I have been needing cat naps during the day. And very nauseas, but I have been ok to deal with that b/c then I know there is still a baby in there. For some reason I am concerned with loosing this one, who knows why.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 PM

I feel the same! Still no sickness or sore boobs. But, when I got out of the shower this morning, I looked at my reflection in the mirror I noticed my aerola's (did I spell that right?) were HUGE! Like the size of a bottom of a pop can huge! LOL. So, i'm getting slight signs here and there. I have my first appointment on Wednesday, I can't wait for that. Maybe that will help it sink in a little bit.

I also did some research on maternity leave here at work. My short term disability will cover my pay 100% the 6-8 weeks that the doctor signs me out for (I have to use about 18 sick days before it kicks in--but I have that saved up already!) and then for the rest of the FLMA I should have enough sick/vacation/personal time to cover up to 12 weeks and have no decrease in my pay!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday!
Old 06-25-2007, 03:33 PM

Today I'm exhausted, but we had a BUSY weekend, so I"m not surprised! On Saturday my sister and I threw a surprise retirement party for my mom - lots of work, but SO worth it! We added the surprise of me being pregnant to the mix and it was a great day.

Yesterday we went to church, then a family reunion, then I went to a Creative Memories party at a friend's. I didn't get home until around 10:30PM and C was still up hoping to nurse and cuddle with Mama before bed - so I nursed him down, grabbed a bite to eat and went to bed. Oh, and I spent the entire day puking. Lovely. This morning I just couldn't drag myself out of bed and am having a "quiet" day at home with the kids, trying desparately to keep C (21 months old) out of the fridge!

Extreme nausea continues today, but I have yet to get ill, so that's an improvement. I was supposed to have a midwife appointment today, but got a call from my midwife last night to reschedule. So now my first appointment will be in 2 weeks. It's going to be hard to wait, but I'll be a little over 9 weeks then, and we may be able to hear the heartbeat with the dopplar, which my kids will be excited about.

I'm off to make myself some "Morning Wellness Tea" and see if that helps with the nausea!
Old 06-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Good idea Flapjack, I miss the one thread and think that it is nice to have a weekly thread instead tons of new ones. kwim??

I am doing great. No m/s I had something like sea sickness for a few days and that is gone too. Boobs hurt and I could sleep the day away. I also don't feel like doing anything that I use to enjoy.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Well, the weekend was great. My older daughter went camping with her grandma. I went to a Meet the Doula night as one of the Doulas for the first time and had a great experience talking with expecting couples and networking with other Doulas.

As far as the pregnancy goes I've been sick and tired and crying a lot but as long as the little embryo is still safe in there I try not to complain too much. My partner and I had a talk last night about our UC plans and that was reassuring knowing I have him as solid support. We are trying to figure who we will tell out of our family and friends, if anyone......

We told the kids that a new baby is coming in February and my older daughter was thrilled. My younger daughter doesn't "get it" at all.......being only 15 months....
Old 06-25-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthmommom View Post
Well we had an exciting week. My 26 birthday was on Friday (22) and we got married that day at the court house, then saw Knocked Up (so funny), and had dinner at the Melting Pot, fondue.
congratulations on your little trip to the courthouse!!

friday was my birthday, too (27). we had dinner earlier in the week with the ILs who gave me a roomba (aka the best thing that has ever happened to me).

despite the festivities, have been in a heinous mood for the last couple of days. i'm tired but can't sleep, my boobs and hips are throbbing, and my dogs are driving me insane.

when do we start glowing and being all peaceful madonna-like?

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
Old 06-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Life here has been busy. Between parades and BBQ's we've been out straight the past week. Which is very good! Anything that gets dh out of the house is great! (he isn't much for social things, and suffers from depression often) So it really has been fun. Buuuut... I'm feeling kinda tired from it now. I just want to chill at home.

Course now the girls are kinda going crazy. After being out for a week they are now cooped up in the house again and tearing down the walls. No naps for me here because my 3 yo doesn't nap anymore and mama taking a nap just doesn't happen either. But I'm managing.

Nausea and aversions hit full force here this morning and even the smell of clean shampood hair is making me wanna yak.

I'm looking forward to this pregnancy. Really I am. Even though I know I won't be able to walk soon. (SI joint separates really early, I can feel it starting already)

The river is almost warm enough for me to swim in it, the sun is out, summer is here. And I'm happy.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing good with the glowing madonna thing: OK, to be honest I'm doing better with bovine stupefaction

Birthmommom, congratulations! Many happy returns of the day

Old 06-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Had a pretty hectic morning - 3 year old, tired husband, and OB wiating room do not a good mix make. I am definitely going to have to make other arrangements - it's really unfair to keen Michael contained in his stroller for that long and then I start getting *looks* which just add to the stress. Instead of having that lovely moment of seeing the hearbeat, I was having a slight argument with the OB about my EDD and John was trying to placate Michael. I'm very happy that the bean seems to be here to stay, but it definitely wasn't the family-bonding moment I was hoping for.

On a different note - I'm definitely heavier than I was when I got pregnant with Michael, but I weigh about 10lbs less that I thought I did (3lbs less then the last time I was weighed on a good scale) so that's some happy news. I have made the resolution to not hide this time because of my size, it was a huge step for me to post a bare-skin belly pic both here and on my blog. I really want to enjoy my body and the changes this pregnancy.

In crafting news, I have to start doing the embroidery (couching/laid work) for my best friend's son's christening this weekend and I have a few miscellaneous knitting projects to finish up for him as well. We are also planning a trip to the aquarium on Wednesday - I am sure Michael will have a ball.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:33 PM

I think I'm around 9 wks now and the nausea has been BAD, with some throwing up in the past few days. I can't take my prenatal (the Rainbow Light one-a-day that's supposed to be more tolerable) without throwing up. So it's been tough to find the motivation to do much of anything. Of course it's impossible and unfair to sit around all day when I have a 21 mo old boy. So yesterday we went to a special event where he got to see farm animals and what they do on the farm. He had never seen "live" animals up close like that before so he loved it. I am also trying to stay patient and positive -- the hormones tend to make me less patient and just moody. I find myself really looking forward to the 2nd trimester for a multitude of reasons. Yet I am trying to find some quiet time to connect with the baby and communicate my love to him/her to begin the bonding process.

I am looking forward to my u/s on Thursday, when I should finally have a due date. I think it's in the Jan 29-Feb 1 range.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 PM

It's been a quiet week for me. I returned from a trip on Saturday and have been tired from that. I thought I'd be busting to tell people about the pregnancy but I kind of feel like holing up and cuddling w/ DH and kitties and thinking about having a baby. The menstrual-like cramps seem to be fading, but boobs are still sore esp. when I wake up. Oh, I have been up at 4:30 the past 2 nights to pee. I got super tired at 8:30 last night. We'll see if these are new patterns for me at 5w pregnant!

I can tell that DH is worried about not having a job now that we're pregnant. He's struggled w/ depression for the last year since he got rejected from his PhD program, and now he is having trouble finding work and he is very worried and (honestly) bored with the schedule of the unemployed.

I started pulling together questions for interviewing HB midwives. I need to start calling and setting up appointments so we can have a care provider nailed down. I have many awesome options in my area so I'm sure it will be hard to decide.

I was clever enough to get a checkup with a family practitioner the day I ovulated so I've got my baseline weight, a pap, and bloodwork all recently done.

I had a great chat with my cousin who had a baby in Feb. '06, and she's going to hook me up with all kinds of baby clothes and maternity wear, including a maternity winter coat. I'm trying to set up a weekend to drive to visit her. I can't wait to see all the baby stuff!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

smokeylo. My first husband and I went through some pretty hard times with having babies straight out of university- it's all achievable and everything can be absolutely fine. I know what you mean about unemployment though, it stinks big-time.
Grace, good luck with the u/s on Monday.
Jenn, where's the OB trying to move your due date to? Earlier, or later? (gorgeous pictures on your blog, btw. I love how rounded your bump is already- mine is still in "ungainly sprawl" territory.)

Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 AM

my life is insane. that is all.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
I returned from a trip on Saturday and have been tired from that. I thought I'd be busting to tell people about the pregnancy but I kind of feel like holing up and cuddling w/ DH and kitties and thinking about having a baby.
You know, exactly. Except my trip is coming up this weekend, and also I have no kitties. But I, too, thought I'd be so excited to tell everybody, and now I'm not even sure if I want to mention it. (Although it's going to be hard to keep secret on a 4 day camping trip, what with the nausea and the not drinking.) One of my best friends called me the other day, and asked point-blank if I was pregnant, and I sort of said, "why? i mean, um, yes...." But then, bizarrely, I didn't want to talk about it. I kept changing the subject.
I think I want to keep it for me right now. I need to come to terms with the reality of it, get my mind around all the worries and the confusion. I'm obsessively reading about pregnancy, looking at pictures of 19 day old fetuses, and checking this message board, but I'm not quite ready to go public. Which is just really strange behavior for me. I'm usually extremely public about everything I do or feel.

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicely_m View Post
I think I want to keep it for me right now. I need to come to terms with the reality of it, get my mind around all the worries and the confusion. I'm obsessively reading about pregnancy, looking at pictures of 19 day old fetuses, and checking this message board, but I'm not quite ready to go public. Which is just really strange behavior for me. I'm usually extremely public about everything I do or feel.
I am usually awful at keeping secrets and want lots of attention but I have only told a few people after letting my Mom's entire family know last week and regretting it instantly! DH's family doesn't know, no grad school friends know, some of my closest friends don't know, and I haven't announced to my livejournal either. And I don't know when I will do those things!! LATER is all I've decided .

The crazy emo thing is starting to happen. I'm tearing up at just about everything that can be construed as "so sad!!" or "so sweet!!"

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 06-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
The crazy emo thing is starting to happen. I'm tearing up at just about everything that can be construed as "so sad!!" or "so sweet!!"
Yup, that's me! It's actually been my biggest symptom so far! Watching the Today show this morning, they showed a picture of a baby and I started bawling! I mean, really, what is up with that?!?

As far as telling everyone, it's like I have this precious secret that I just want to treasure. I accidentally told my sister yesterday, and I instantly regretted it! She was super excited and started crying, but still, I felt like I had lost something. And after I got off the phone with her, I started crying. Naturally.

Sheesh

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM

We've told everyone - by the fifth child (and fifth child in 8.5 years!), and with the morning sickness, etc. it would have been impossible to keep it a secret for long. It would have been nice to put it off for a while, though.

People have already started asking if we're going to find out what we're having (no), if we're going to "do that homebirth thing again" (most definitely), what the baby's name is going to be (not telling until after we tell the baby!), etc. I'm only 7 weeks - and I'm sure we're going to be hearing it over and over again from some people for the next 33+ weeks!

I've entered the phase I get to in early pregnancy where I realize all that I want done before the baby is born and start driving dh crazy about it! He has a week and a half to clean out the garage and basement and gather things for a tag sale - and I'll spend the week and a half going through all the closets, taking inventory of what baby clothes/supplies we have, finding my maternity clothes, and getting rid of everything we don't need (tag sale or freecycle). Then we start moving furniture, dh has to finish the bathroom ceiling and install the new light/fan.....and then paint our bedroom. I want all of this done by the end of August (when our childcare provider/painter goes back to college ) and then I'll get to work on other projects. OCD makes pregnancy very "interesting".
Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Thanks Helen My OB wants my EDD to be 1/28 based on the U/S which says I'm 9w/3d : We got into it a bit in his consultation room since my chart says 2/1-2/2. I'm letting it be for now, but I'll be ready to fight for it when the time comes.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Hi all!!! Interviewing midwives starting this week, and waiting to really feel pregnant. Peeing a bit more than normal so far, but I'm also being ultra-conscious about hydration since I'm nursing still as well. I've felt a few twinges of nausea here and there, but it's still very early for me (I won't be 5 weeks til Thurs). I really can't wait to start looking and feeling pregnant again!!!!

You know, when I was pg with DD, on the weekly thread we always kept a list of everyone in our group, their EDD, their guess for the baby's gender (later on), and the baby's gender if they found out. Also, whoever decided to post the first post every Monday for the start of the week got to make up a "Question of the Week" that everyone answered in the thread. It was lots of fun, anyone interested in doing something similar???

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM

good idea! Sounds like fun True Blue
Old 06-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Hey everyone. So, I got the slightest bit of sickness today, first about 10:00 a.m. then I ate a granola bar and felt better, then again just before lunch, but I felt better after I ate and took a 30 minute nap in my car! LOL.

I think the nap in my car at lunch might be a regular thing, I felt so much better after that. I think i'll put a pillow and blanket in my backseat now and good thing my cellphone has an alarm!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
You know, when I was pg with DD, on the weekly thread we always kept a list of everyone in our group, their EDD, their guess for the baby's gender (later on), and the baby's gender if they found out. Also, whoever decided to post the first post every Monday for the start of the week got to make up a "Question of the Week" that everyone answered in the thread. It was lots of fun, anyone interested in doing something similar???
I was going to suggest the same thing and you beat me to it.

You know, I went back and looked at the old Oct. 04 DDC just for kicks and would you believe that in nine months we only had five pages of posts- look at how many pages this one has already, LOL! This is a talkative bunch!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of the weekly question, but I don't get the point of the list of names: haven't we already got that stickied at the top? Or am I missing something?
Having a rough day emotionally: DH woke me up in the middle of the night because he needed to talk to someone about the WWE suicide/double homicide thing (if you haven't heard, DON'T GOOGLE IT.) I've just spent most of the day trying not to think about it and visualising that poor kid's face when he realised what was going on My boys are around the same age, so it's hitting me a bit hard.
I don't watch wrestling, btw, but DH does- and yes, we argue a lot about it

Old 06-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Kind of like the ONE thread on the TTC board? I love that idea! We could also keep an upcoming list of appointments mamas are having as well, just so we can keep each other in our thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Having a rough day emotionally: DH woke me up in the middle of the night because he needed to talk to someone about the WWE suicide/double homicide thing (if you haven't heard, DON'T GOOGLE IT.) I've just spent most of the day trying not to think about it and visualising that poor kid's face when he realised what was going on My boys are around the same age, so it's hitting me a bit hard.
I don't watch wrestling, btw, but DH does- and yes, we argue a lot about it
Such an absolute tragedy - it's just heartbreaking.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
Old 06-26-2007, 05:10 PM

I was hoping to avoid the severe all-day-sickness I've had with previous pg, and I've been doing ok. But this morning, I started to feel sick. Luckily though I did my research and now wear fennel seed oil on my wrists at all times. I'm still extra tired and my nipples have become sensitive, especially with a toddler nursing and twiddling 24/7.

Aside from that, my cat was missing all day yesterday and my husband found it in the field (ALIVE!!!) across from our house last night at 3 am. Also, my car has been in the shop for almost 3 months (blown head gasket, pitted heads and problems ordering parts) so I'm hoping to get it back soon.

And I've got the nesting bug already!!! I've been thoroughly cleaning and organizing everything. It feels good though, I'm tired but have these bursts of cleaning energy.:
Old 06-26-2007, 05:55 PM

WabiSabi -- Our pages are few bc they didn't have separate boards for the DDC's til much later in our pregnancies, remember? That's why many of our threads are 20-30 pages long and they start with "OCT MAMAS".

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM

My mom and dad are coming into town this weekend, which is awesome...It's just this pregnancy is making me realize how much I miss my mom...She and I used to talk on the phone almost everyday, then we had a HUGE falling out, I really don't want to get into except that I was living with her with my 2 kids, my husband 8 hours away, and me suicidal with PPD and working 2 jobs while trying to nurse my not yet 1 year (he didn't wean til almost 2: ). That was 2 and half years ago, I talk to her only politely when they come to visit (I don't want our relationship to have a negative affect between mom and dad and my kids, our crap and we should keep it that way). Anyway, I just wish I could have a healthy supportive relationship with my mom but it's not going to happen and it's really making me want to cry: Anyway, I just want to get that out...I just hate it. I really hope this sort of thing doesn't happen to our family...

User Tag List