Mothering Forum banner

manifesting mamas?

869 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  LoveChild421 
#1 ·
I keep typing this up and not posting it but this I am going to this time!!

Any mums here interested in law of attraction and/or just plain old positive thinking?

I really think that my recent exposure to these thoughts is helping me enjoy my pregnancy so much more than last time. Not only was my journey to pregnancy heavily influenced by it, and such an empowering and enjoyable process, I simply feel so much better than I imagined I would!

Only a few short months ago I wouldn't have fathomed being 10 weeks with no vomiting, the best i could latch onto was accepting very noncommittally that there was a possibility of pregnancy with no morning sickness
Like, I'll grudgingly admit it's happened to other people LOL I think that all my actions leading up to creating a healthy self and pregnancy and accepting even in a small way it is possible and letting the wedge of that possibility into my belief has been central.

I am far more proactive about looking after myself than last time and have headed off all except 3 bouts of ickiness. And my mindset of a much wanted and anticipated pregnancy as opposed to a BIG surprise makes a huge difference. (Not saying those suffering with MS are "to blame" either, just that this is how this is working for me and what I understand about myself this pregnancy and my last). At first I took it as a "bad" sign but quickly decided that was not a great way to think, if I could order a healthy nausea and puking free pregnancy I would, so why not accept what I have seemingly been offered? Not looking this gift horse in the mouth!

So, this is all fueling my belief that I can have a fabulous birth at home the way I want it. That I am making conscious positive choices that have positive momentum. Here comes another wedge, of what I believe can happen in theory to what can happen in reality!

I created a vision board to help me find my midwife and I tweaked it just a little bit the night before I met the midwife I have decided to hire. That she pretty much spoke the language of law of attraction sealed it for me along side her (non)clinical approach, I really am glad to be working with someone who thinks like that.

I have always been a pretty pragmatic and not all that spiritually inclined. And I baulk a bit at "stuff like that" but I feel like I had too many coincidences telling me to pay attention to my spiritual growth to ignore last year. I feel like I'm in spiritual puberty, and am shy about my changes and apt to hide them from all but a few. So to have a midwife who I am not embarrassed about this stuff with is a real gift

And so, my "embarrassment" is why I have deleted this post a few times already LOL The down side, if there really is one, of this process for me is that participating in pregnancy groups online is harder. Pregnant women are apt to worry and have more than the usual amount of physical challenges. I just can't afford to dwell on that stuff so I am not so great at offering emotional support because I am not reading half the stuff!! It's not because I don't care about others, it's just that I am not sure I'm in a place not to be influenced.

Anyway, I thought I'd post and see who else is out there that is drawn to this stuff?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm so glad you posted this! I feel so liberated this pregnancy because of learning about the law of attraction. I have not once worried about miscarrying, whereas with my son I used to be almost crippled mentally with worry because my first pregnancy ended in miscarriage. With my son I experienced spotting and cramping and it just made me worry more and got me caught in a viscious cycle of negativity. With this pregnancy, I haven't worried once and have had no spotting or cramping even though I'm doing much more strenuous things at work and at home and not tip-toeing around all the time. I manifested a homebirth for my son though and I learned to be more positive as I went through his pregnancy. With this one, I don't worry about all the what-ifs because I know that worrying only causes negative energy and draws to you what you fear the most. I say affirmations every day like "This is a strong healthy baby and I'm a strong healthy woman"

I tried to affirm that I would be free of morning sickness but that didn't work out so well, turns out I had some physical issues that got straightened out when I had an evaluation with a naturopath.

#3 ·
Well, I guess I have a lot of reseaching to do, because I don't know what it means to "manifesto" and I don't know about the law of attraction.

I have noticed that, since reading the boards, which I love, I am having the one problem that I am finding myself focused more on the hard parts of this m/s so far, especially after reading the boards and hearing about other people not feeling well. I didn't know any other pregnant women with my ds, and so didn't think about the difficulties so much.

Another part of the problem is that, even though we hoped for and are very excited about this pregnancy, I somehow had it in my head that m/s wouldn't be as bad with pregnancy #2, and since it has so far been much worse and started 3 weeks earlier than it did with DS, I just feel like I can't get in control of my emotions on the issue and can't get in front of feeling out of control of how I am feeling.

I should probably stop here, I don't want to drag anyone on this thread into complaining with me, plus, I need to go look up the law of attraction. But I will say that I am very interested in following this thread and seeing if I can learn more about getting in front of these emotions and fears and the negativity I am fighting.

#4 ·
Jen, yay for us enjoying ourselves! I didn't enjoy pregnancy at all last time and now I surprised at how fast this pregnancy is going past when I counted down each and everyday last time
I feel like my life and exploded this year in a really positive way, and I wonder what I'll get in my head for the next adventure once this baby is older, thinking big LOL

Hey Emily, glad you posted
I don't want to evangilise or debate in this thread because everyone has their own legitimate beliefs and path, but will say it is interesting information to access. I know for me it brought together a lot of other ideas I had been exposed to, ranging from spiritual to psychological sources and fits with stuff I already believed. I am not particularly well read about it, but I do consciously practice everyday. I don't whinge, I rarely talk about my niggles at all and so don't think about them, I reframe lots of thoughts to ones of gratitude - basically just always draw my attention back to stuff that makes me feel good and to actions with predictably good consequences. If something is really bothering me I am far more proactive about it than I have ever been in my life, rather than ignoring it, I problem solve. Then I feel good at even small improvements - with the knowledge that perception is my reality, feeling good and in control is what is pleasing.

#5 ·
I'm interested, and reading more about it. I'd agree that your state of mind can make huge changes, but I don't think I'm comfortable yet with the idea of "ordering". For me, I think I'm more a fatalist- my losses have given me insight and perspective and helped me to understand what it's like to not feel blindly confident that of course this pregnancy will result in a baby. In some ways, I've had bigger gifts than that- the birth of my twins restored my confidence in my ability to labour after a shocking birth, and the losses gave me the humility and empathy that I need to work with pregnant and newly postpartum women (I do a lot with the NCT and I'm an aspiring midwife.)
So yeah- I'm reading with interest.

#6 ·
I don't think what I am doing is the same thing as you- but I believe I am going to have a great pregnancy this time around. Not only do I think positive, but I quote scripture, and have faith. I have been through several early losses, so I know the pain of losing one and not blindly believing. On the other hand, I have a real sense of peace about this one and just know everything will be alright.

Which is admittedly hard for me. But I know what I believe, and I know the Word.

~hoping I didn't just open a huge can of worms, dang I hate it when I do that~

#7 ·
I'm interested, and actually exploring the ideas in more depth on another board where I don't feel as invested in a history and "reputation" as I do here.

I was rather underwhelmed by The Secret movie itself, perhaps because all of the ideas were so familiar to me from the spirituality I grew up with in the '70s. What I tend to be cautious about is to make sure that we don't misapply the LOA as a kind of social darwinism/blame the victim mentality: noncustodial mothers must have done something terrible to deserve losing their kids, yuppies must deserve to have more money than anyone in Ethiopia because they are so selfish so selfishness must be good, etc.

#8 ·
Yep! ( <--- check out title---
)

This pregnancy was also something that was on my Treasure Map that came to fruitation.

For me, morning sickness helps me to realize that this pregnancy is going well and is happening. Without it, I know that I'd worry more. So even though I'd love to not feel sick, realistically I know for *me* its the better option. During the day however, I do keep myself busy on purpose because I know that the more I am active, either physically or mentally.. the more likely I am to feel better!

#9 ·
I don't think of it in the terms that you, but I absolutely believe in positive energy. It makes a huge difference in how other people approach you, and what is this baby but another person?

I try not to go too far. I'm with the lovely Spider on this one. It easily turns into "well, you just didn't want X enough." Your mental desire and state of being is an influence, not the whole banana.

But generally? Your mind absolutely affects your body and your reality. And when you're feeling fragile, you have a right to protect yourself.

#10 ·
Leilalu, I absolutely believe that the law of attraction can go hand in hand with your faith. There is such a beauty in being able to let go and let God, while putting out positive energy in the world and being free of worry.

I agree with pp's that the LOA can be misapplied and I'm careful to not look at it rigidly, as if I'm ordering and then expect whatever I want to just be served up to me. To me it is very much about energy, intention, and staying in the positive. What we love and what we fear are drawn to us because we put so much energy into both. If we can free ourselves from fear then we no longer have to be paralyzed by pointless worries that only detract from the short time we all have here.
Life has a lot of lessons to teach every one of us and we all will experience tragedies, losses, tough sh#$ that we have to get through to learn. But there's no sense sitting around worrying and dwelling on the what ifs because in my experience that will only draw whatever you fear straight to you. In a way, you have to be at peace with uncertainty but be optimistic enough to believe.

#11 ·
For me, it is the first time I have understood people who put their faith in prayer and frame unpleasant things as god's will - I can understand that faith for the first time in whatever guise so it has been great for me to feel more open about other people's beliefs. Not that I was closed, I just didn't get it, how they put those dots together. I now believe we create reality both with our personality and our higher self/spirit/god's intentions for our personality's life, explaining the stuff we wouldn't consciously chose and the miraculous we didn't consciously dream of!
I can totally understand hitching LOA thinking to an established religion.

I also take it as very action oriented. Like the money thing, I don't dream big of wealth - firstly because I don't have a belief it is something I can achieve (biggest hurdle, self limiting thought!), and secondly, I haven't liked what I've seen about wealth so far (so it doesn't resonate for me anyway). And other more passionate ideas like my partnership and children have been in my agenda. I have really improved how I experience my relationship with my partner, mostly by focusing on what I'd like it to be, I can imagine details of how we'd both behave that I can then do for real, rather than try and "fix" what is happening, which is focusing on the bad.

But I really want to get our money in order, I can be haphazard and wasteful and I could eliminate needless worry if I was more proactive. I have plentiful money but create a feeling of being short because of it, when I could easily feel like there is an abundance with minimal changes. So I keep adding it to my vision boards and then not doing anything about it LOL It reminds me of the joke about the guy praying to god to win the lottery and god eventually telling him to meet him half way and buy a ticket
I'm not even buying the ticket!! The intention is there tho, and like the other stuff I feel I have been able to manifest into my life with a lot of good feeling, I am sure I will get there.

I agree it doesn't explain the whole world and it is important not to use LOA to blame victims, and we all have individual circumstances to navigate for whatever reason that are not a judgment on our character or actions.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by azyre View Post
Like the money thing, I don't dream big of wealth - firstly because I don't have a belief it is something I can achieve (biggest hurdle, self limiting thought!), and secondly, I haven't liked what I've seen about wealth so far (so it doesn't resonate for me anyway).
I know what you mean!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.