Midwife Appointment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-21-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just met with the midwife and it was much better than having to go to the OB/GYN and stripping down to my birthday suit and draping a thin paper blanket over myself! Although I didn't know that the midwife would have to draw blood to test for my iron and blood sugar. YOWCH! The funny thing is that the midwife was completely through with doing her assessment and exam of me. My old OB/GYN's routine would be him breezing in the door, telling me to scoot down to let my butt hang over the edge, sticking his fingers inside me and poking at my belly with his other hand, sticking a doppler into my stomach, and then leave- all of this taking 10-15 minutes. The midwife was here for a little over an hour!

I'm amazed at the contrast of care I am receiving. And the irony? The midwife will be cheaper than the ob-gyn! Better care for less cost.... Yay!!!! I got the better deal.
#2 of 3 Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 AM

That is exactly how I felt when I decied to go with a midwife instead of a OB, just a better level of care in general. Isn't it great
#3 of 3 Old 07-23-2007, 11:34 AM

I'll have to agree that Midwifes are just better care givers. Because I was over 35 for my second pregnancy, my then OB was very insistant that I have the CVS test. I expressed my concern that such an invasive test can be dangerous and requested other test first and maybe CVS as a last resort. I was told that if I did not have the test that he would not care for me during my pregnancy. For lack of really knowing where else to go, I contacted a Midwife and asked if this was routine for someone my age. I got honest, caring answers and genuine help for my concerns. By becoming her patient, I was encouraged to take an active roll in my prenatal care. I was never told what test I should have but, my husband and I were educated on what our options were. Because of some problems with my first pregnancy, I wanted a hospital birth and my birth plan was respected. I labored at home and she called me several times over the 30 hours before we went to the hospital. She stayed by my side from the moment we got there and encouraged my wish for a family birth. My second son was born with my 6 year old son and husband on either side of me and she even took our photo. When she checked in on me later that day, she held my newborn and even changed his diaper...think an OB would care enough to do that??? Anyway, I think you will really enjoy your pregnancy with your Midwife.

Kim ( Daniel 6 and David 2 and Our Little One February 2008 )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page