Homeschooling while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I"m tired. I'm short tempered. I want to throw up every time someone sits in my lap... and my kids, the Bean in particular and to a slightly lesser extent the BooBah, want school, school, school! I want to sleep, sleep, sleep... :sleepy:

Once I have a teeny new person, I expect things to get easier-- it's just a slingababy for a while, doesn't give you a headache or a tummy ache every time you roll over into a funny position. But of course, said person won't be showing up (God willing!) until the end of January at the earliest... leaving me a good seven months of exhaustion and trying to homeschool while pregnant. As if having a Bella to chase wasn't enough. : How does anyone manage?!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 AM

Check your maths We've got six months plus thumb-twiddling, not seven...

You manage because you have to. Call in help from friends, do a schoolshare, get an afternoon off. Hire a babysitter, get one part of the curriculum contracted out to experts (languages or music are the obvious ones) so you can have your brain back for an hour, park the kids in front of the TV and muzzy for an hour, do whatever it takes.

We aren't hsing now, but we were when I was pregnant with Skye and we have done on and off.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#3 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 AM

I have stopped identifying as a homeschooler. : Now I just think of her as being at home with me. My older dd is only 5, so I figure even if I don't do anything with her that is "schooly" she will learn anyway and I don't have to feel guilty about it. Okay, I admit I feel bad when my dd asks to do her aleph-bais book and I say no. I am pretty new to the whole homeschooling thing so I never got into a good routine before I got all pregnant and barfy. Since I won't be working as a home childcare provider after the baby is born, I figure I will be able to get more into it then and dd will probably fly through her books.
#4 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 AM

We're unschoolers. And some days we don't do much, but its okay. I'm confident they learn a lot even on the days that we aren't very inspirational.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#5 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 AM

I was worried about this as well. I posted in the homeschool forum, and I got some really good feedback. Since I don't know how to post a link (I'm a little bit techno-ignorant), I'd say just do a search with the word "pregnant", and it should come up. This would be dd's first grade year. I actually bought a curriculum because I thought it would be easier, but I've spent the last month tearing it apart and "fixing" it up to fit dd better. But having said that, I plan to work until mid January or so and then take some time off. But, even though we don't unschool, I know they learn even when I'm doing nothing that looks like teaching. In fact, this summer, both dd and ds have made some big developmental/learning leaps, and I've been mostly laying on the couch trying not to vomit. So, maybe they learn in spite of us? Anyway, the alternative is way worse. In our case it would be early mornings, getting dd to school, picking her up, homework in the evenings and all this right after giving birth too! So, that's my two cents.

Tara
#6 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 12:42 PM

Can you set a definite schedule for school activities and down time so the kids know what's going to happen and you can be able to look at the clock and tell yourself that you only have X more minutes until you get to spend some quality time on the couch? I can't remember - can Bean read yet? If so, I'd definitely get down to the library and stock up on books and make quite reading part of your curriculum, maybe he can even read to BooBah too. Lastly, get some books on tape/cd, the Jim Dale readings of the HP series are fantastic and usually available at the library as well - a CD's worth of quiet listening each day will also buy you some down time.

It's all I can do to keep up with my one at times, I can't even imagine three and homeschooling : .
#7 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 04:31 PM

We're unschoolers, so we basically go with the flow. My kids LOVE reading, so we do a library run every week and they take out a ton of books. I do need to get them to be a little more organized and pick some topics so we're not wandering the library for an hour while I try not to give in to morning sickness!

I do really need to sit down with dd (just turned 5) and work on her reading. She SO wants to read, but also doesn't want to put any effort in it. My boys were reading when they were 3.5-4, so part of me feels like she should get going (although I know she'll do it in her own time and won't push her).

I've been contemplating picking up some workbooks, which the kids sometimes enjoy doing, just so I can sit them down with the workbooks so they're entertained while I"m getting C down for a nap (and maybe taking a little nap myself!!!).
#8 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

BeanBean is not a fluent reader yet; he can do simple books and anything to do with maps ("longitude" is right there, "tree" requires effort ).

We are working on a schedule. The fact is... the boy would happily sit at a desk for seven or eight hours if I would keep throwing things at him. Today we did relatively little (only spent three hours on school) and tonight he's wound up and weird. He needed more, but I was so exhausted I kept putting them off and sending them outdoors.

I need some kind of balance, for the sanity of all of us. BeanBean is somewhat... driven? to learn right now. Maybe obsessed is closer to the truth. It's difficult to explain, because I know most people would find it hard to believe that a child his age who isn't clearly on the autism spectrum would want to do anything for eight solid hours, but my son most assuredly would when it comes to learning. I don't know how else to put it, he is really and truly obsessed. Another poster at MDC likened it to him falling on a feast like he'd been starved, and that's really what it looks like. I've always known that BeanBean enjoyed formal school work (why else would I have bought workbooks for him at 20 months when all he could do was draw circles and lines? ) but now he's got a mission, a goal, a purpose-- he is a KINDERGARTENER, and this means SO much to him. He's a real school student.

BeanBean has no idea of what goes on in a typical classroom. He doesn't really understand that if he was to go to school with the little boy two houses down, he would a) have to wait until next year, b) receive material that wasn't remotely as challenging as what he's doing now and c) be forced to move in lock-step with his class, rather than at his own (lightening-fast) pace. All he knows is that he's finally a real kindergartener... and unbeknownst to me, this has apparently been a goal of his for some time now.

I know, I know... so many parents wish they had these problems... but I seriously want to like, go to sleep. I'm so exhausted... letting Bean fly along through his work, but at this level it requires a great deal of parental involvement. Then there's BooBah-- BooBah is three years old, but the kindergarten curriculum which Bean is eating like candy actually seems to have been designed with her in mind. It starts where she needs to start, and moves along at a steady pace with plenty of repetition. If I had the kindergarten math course (I don't; Bean tested into the first grade level) I'd have no trouble believing that BooBah could do this course over a full year. What Bean will complete in a few months (tops), BooBah could do right now as well, but it would take her until late spring (which is how long this is *supposed* to take ). She wants to do kindergarten, too... but she can't keep up with her brother, who is 19.5 months older than she. So of course I can't work with them at the same time, and both of them are *very* demanding of my attention-- they really need one-on-one help.

In an ideal world... I'd hire someone to trade off with me, working with one child and then the other, and a third person to chase Bella and keep her from eating random non-food items. Some classes both kids can do together-- music, and art, for example... but BooBah needs to actually do the kindergarten history curriculum if she's ot learn it, and BeanBean is doing a much more in-depth curriculum loosely based on the kindergarten one because I want it to last the whole month (rather than the week or two it would take him if I did it by the book, so to speak). The reality is that i'm one person with *extremely* limited resources; financially, emotionally, physically... I'm just so drained...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#9 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 AM

It sounds like this is working well for the kids, not working for you. I hope you can find a way back to a win-win situation.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 AM

(((hugs))) I wish we lived closer together - it sounds like Michael would have a ball with your bunch. Here's hoping you can find that happy medium really soon.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page