Birth Bead Swap - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
me too me too...i would love to do a bead swap

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 08:22 PM

i would love to do this. just let me know what i have to do!!

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#33 of 58 Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM

I would like to join the bead swap. I was unable to participate in my last ddc's swap because it was too expensive for me that month. I will set aside some money so I can do this one.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#34 of 58 Old 08-08-2007, 02:22 PM

I'm worried, because everyone's talking about setting aside money, how expensive are these beads??

signature currently in transition
#35 of 58 Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM

There are some very nice bead shops where I live, so it could be as expensive or inexpensive as I wanted. I was thinking about picking up a pack of inexpensive wooden beads from Michaels and hand painting them or maybe making something from sculpy, though.

At my own birth, I would like to have something tangible and touchable from each of us and not exclude those who need to conserve money for themselves and their children.

If you're into thrift stores and garage sales, a necklace or bracelet might show up there that can be refashioned. You could even make beads out of salt-and-flour play-dough and paint them with temperas or colour them with food colouring in a pinch.

Just my two cents.
#36 of 58 Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM

Yes, expensive is a matter of perspective. For me, for example, the $2.00 for a SASE alone will require a bit of financial juggling. I don't plan to spend more than $5 on beads... but I can see how it could *easily* be done. You could spend anywhere from $0-25 on beads for 25 people without much effort.

It's something to think about... but we'll need to know what kind of string the organizer is planning to use.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#37 of 58 Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM

Ah, ok, thanks for the enlightening! I very much did not inherit my mom's ability to make crafts, knit, crochet, sew and do beaded things and whatnot! I know so little about it. I will do some bead hunting, but I know I'm not one for bead making, though it sounds kind of neat!

signature currently in transition
#38 of 58 Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Should we bead swap through the yahoo group that flapjack set up for the 2nd tri swap as well? Might be easier if everyone signed up and went through that one route, avoiding those who can't join the TP or MDC rule violations.

I'm very excited to do this!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#39 of 58 Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

I am excited too, it is going to be so special to have this necklace, I am really looking forward to it!!
#40 of 58 Old 08-09-2007, 05:26 AM

I think we're going to have to take the birth bead swap off MDC as well: if we assume that there's going to be at least ONE poster who didn't join until they got their BFP, then that's 7 months pregnant. And then we have people like Strawberryfields, due at the start of the month with a tendency to go early (and Eilonwy too, I think she said?) That doesn't leave much time. The yahoo group link is in the 2nd tri swap thread on the DDC, btw.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#41 of 58 Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 AM

I would love to join too!! Sounds like a great idea. Now I need to start looking for some pretty beads. Do they have to be wooden or can they also be out of other materials too??

The question has been asked a couple of times and I haven't seen an answer. What is a 2nd trimester swap? What is being swapped? Tia
#42 of 58 Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 AM

2nd Tri Swap is just a swap, probably with some kind of theme, during our second trimesters. I suggested earlier that the theme be "For Mama", so the participants would send each other packages with items that are intended as a fun or pampering gift for the mother-to-be. Usually there is a dollar amount suggested, and each participant mentions specific items she would like or just lists general interests, preferences, allergies, sizes, etc.
#43 of 58 Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 AM

:

I suggested that people specify things they love, things they hate and allergies and allergens they have. No use me sending to a mama who's allergic to dog hair, for example, I'd never get over the guilt if someone else ended up in hospital because of me. If we do this one on things for us, then maybe one for baby and birth stuff later on?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#44 of 58 Old 08-10-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
:
If we do this one on things for us, then maybe one for baby and birth stuff later on?
I think that sounds great!

Second tri swap with the theme of "For mama"

Third tri swap with the theme of "For baby"

And a Birth Bead swap around the holiday season so if anyone goes really early, they will already have their beads with them.

Is anyone able or interested in being the organizer? I am not super computer literate, and don't know how to start a yahoo group or anything like that, but would help in any way that I could.
#45 of 58 Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 AM

The yahoo group is up, so whoever wants to do the beads and the 3rd tri has an easy life It did occur to me that some DDCs also like to send each other Xmas cards, so if people wanted, the option of a central address list exists It's [email protected]

Disclaimer: it cost me 77p to send cards internationally last year. Please don't be offended if I don't send you one, I don't expect anyone to send me one either.

#46 of 58 Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM

I am in on the bead thing!

love2bemama, where in stlouis are you? I am from Kirkwood.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#47 of 58 Old 08-11-2007, 09:07 PM

i can't figure out if anyone has volunteered yet but i would love to organize the birth bead swap!
#48 of 58 Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbegonias19 View Post
i can't figure out if anyone has volunteered yet but i would love to organize the birth bead swap!
w00t! Go you!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#49 of 58 Old 08-11-2007, 10:53 PM

: : :

I'm so excited! Thanks for volunteering!
#50 of 58 Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Awesome! I feel honored! I think the best way to go about it is to send me a pm with the following info:

Name
Address
Colors/Styles you like
If you are allergic to any materials
Any other info you feel is important

I would really like to do a semi custom piece for each mama. Some mamas may prefer a bracelet over a necklace or vice versa. I personally didn't want anything around my neck while I labored, but I did wear some beautiful earrings. In the beginning of November I will get a final count and let everyone know how many beads we will each need to send. If anyone has any suggestions or a better way to do this let me know.

Hooray! I'm so excited!:
#51 of 58 Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 AM

If you want to use the yahoo group, feel absolutely free Because international post is going to take up to two weeks each way, though, could I get you to bring the date for signups forwards by a couple of weeks, or a month? : please?

#52 of 58 Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM

yes let's move the date up!

if you'd like to join the bead swap pm me asap, but no later than
sept 15. i will then give a final count by sept 20th. i would like to give all the mamas who need to really budget this in plenty of breathing room. if we could get all the beads together by the middle of nov, i could hopefully have them all finished and in the mail at the end of nov. or sooner that way if anyone goes early, she will be sure to have her birth beads.

i'm not sure how to use a yahoo group, but i'll look into that, since it seems that may be required by mdc if some of us can't use the tp?

also, feel free to send different beads. they don't all need to be the same, although if you want to send x amount of the same bead that's fine too. we all have different budgets and needs so it would be nice to have an even more diverse pool of beads to make jewelry from. since there are a few mamas with allerigies and such, it would be kind to send a small variety of beads. this would ensure that every mama gets a bead from you.

some other ideas for those of us on a budget:

apple seeds (these would make a great spacer or if we had a lot we could put 3 in each piece)
any type of hard seed or nut
(you can string these on a a string using a large needle)
playdough beads dyed with tea, beets, or food coloring (spider suggested this one )
seashells, small polished stones/rocks (someone you know with the equip can drill holes for you)
glass beads are very inexpensive nowadays
i know there are many other ideas out there

i just wany as many mamas to participate as possible, not holding back because of financial concerns, perceived lack of creativity, or whatever it may be.

one last thing, i plan on using a small diameter material to string the jewelry, so don't worry about beads you choose/make having too small of a hole.
#53 of 58 Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM

scarletbegonias, did I PM you to join in?
#54 of 58 Old 08-13-2007, 08:45 PM

For those on a budget or just like good deals- If you have a local JoAnne Fabric store nearby keep an eye out on their sales. They often have beads and materials on sale. I know one of the last flyers had everything 40% off. With the holidays approaching there should be some good sales too. Michael's runs sales too.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#55 of 58 Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 PM

I was just tooling around on ETSY. Go out to the Supplies section and in the commercial section are tons of cheap, glass bead assortments- I saw one that had 200 beads for 5.50, another with some more intricate beads 100 for 8.00. Many more assortments!!

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#56 of 58 Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 PM

please pm me as soon as possible if you want to join the bead swap. i will try to individually contact each mama who mentioned they want to join.

a couple mamas suggested that if theirs was a necklace, something durable to be used as a nursing necklace for the babe would be great.

here's what i need to know:

name
address
colors/styles you like
allergies yay or nay and what they are
necklace or bracelet (wrist measurement if applicable)

thanks mamas!
#57 of 58 Old 08-16-2007, 12:43 AM

I'm planning on making my beads (haven't made the time to play with polymer clay in eons) - any specs on bead size and hole size?
#58 of 58 Old 02-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Great idea. I would volunteer but I dont know where I will be in the next few months. Hate to loose all those beads coming at me in the mail.

I will participate though!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page