Birth Bead Swap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing this? I see that many of the other DDC's are doing it. I think it is a really cool and special idea to do for each other....any thoughts? Anyone done it before and know how to organize it?
#2 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 AM

I'd be interested - none of the ladies I know around here would be into the idea! I've never done it before, but it doesn't look too complicated. If no one with experience is able to take this on, I'd give it a swing.

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
#3 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 AM

I'd like to, but I am not completely sure what birth beads are.: I have tons of beading supplies, but not sure what I would need for this project.
#4 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM

I would be in! I have never participated in one before but I imagine we would have to go through the swap board, which has it's own set of rules on who can run a swap and how to organize it. Also, I think that would limit who could participate because they would have to have TP access. Not a problem if everyone in the DDC already has access but I am not sure if that is the case or not?

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#5 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Nah, we'd use a Yahoo group or a Google group to organize.

#6 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 11:47 AM

I'm in...

-L
#7 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 PM

I would hope that everyone in the DDC has TP access by now anyhow- if not, you're just not posting enough I was going to ask if anyone was up for a second trimester swap, but for obvious reasons I can't do a birth bead one.

Basically, everyone signs up and sends the volunteer the number of beads required for everyone on the list to have one (include yourself in this number.) You also enclose a SAE which covers what it cost to send the beads to the volunteer, plus a small margin of error. International mamas negotiate with the volunteer as to paypal, chocolate, marmite, or other international means of money transfers.
I'm SURE that one of the DDC's actually has their birth bead swap on their main page, but I could be wrong. As long as the main DDC has the information on who is hosting the swap, anyone who doesn't have TP privileges yet can contact that individual and be included that way- it's not like a traditional swap where there's negotiation over packages and whathaveyou.
Saying that, I'm going to have more money come September, so you'll get nicer beads from me if you can wait until then. Just saying...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#8 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM

I don't see any reason to go through a swap board to do this. We're not exchanging money or goods for goods, just sharing something special with each other, and if one person doesn't do it, it doesn't hurt other people (other than missing out on one more bead).

From what I gather, people sign up to participate so we get a head count, and each person buys the same bead for every person who signs up (so all of you would get the same bead from me). Then we all mail the beads to each other, maybe including an inspirational passage about birth, and each person makes a necklace with all the beads from everyone. So we'd need to have a post with a deadline on it for people to sign up, and then probably off-site get one another's mailing addresses to each other.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#9 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 PM

I'd be in. I did a birth bead swap once with the ladies on AllDoulas.com and it was a great experience. I ended up with a beautiful bracelet in the end and it is a special thing I wear to births I attend as a Doula.

There were 20 women in the swap and 1 person was running the whole thing. Each participant mailed her beads along with a self addressed return envelope to the organizer by a certain predetermined date. Then once the organizer received them all she sorted them and mailed them back to the ladies in the self addressed return envelope.
#10 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I thought the beads would be neat, since I love beaded things, but I am up for any other kind of swap as well. I was lurking in April and they have so many great ideas for swaps that they are going to do each trimester.
#11 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM

I'd be in for both the birth bead and a 2nd trimester swap.
#12 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Dea

what's TP???
and what's the difference of a 2nd trimester vs a birth swap?

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#13 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 04:03 PM

I'm up for it.

A happy woman
#14 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Hrm. Maybe we should hold on the birth beads until third trimester, actually, that would make the most sense.

Each bead is supposed to represent a good thought from each participant, and if we wear (or merely focus on) the string during labor, we'll have everyone's energy helping us. So, since it's a labor gift, may be best to wait a bit.

What would be a good 2nd trimester swap, though?

#15 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM

I too don't know what TP means....?

But I think this would be a rockin idea and would totally participate.
#16 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Count me in!

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#17 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM

OOOOHH

tell me about a 2nd trimester swap....I want to do that too...

I have an unhealthy relationships with swaps....

I LOVE ME SOME SWAPS

-Lori, Jack and a Belly bean
#18 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM

I'd be in! I love swapping stuff!

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#19 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 PM

TP= Trading Post.

Let's see-- the June '04 ddc did bracelets and beads; I was the volunteer for that. There were about 20 of us (maybe fewer?). Everyone sent me a) a bead and b) a bit of money for supplies for the bracelets and postage back and/or c) a SASE (padded). They all sent what they could manage, so while a few people sent, say, a SASE and $5, some others could only manage $1 or the SASE. I made friendship bracelets in deep reds and purples, the "Chinese Staircase" pattern, if you're familiar with such things; this was to represent an umbilical cord. The beads didn't fit on the braclets themselves, so I ended up stringing the beads separately on florist's wire and then wrapping the ends around the bracelets. They were adorable, if I do say so myself; I'll see if anyone from that group has pictures posted somewhere.

The April '06 group, we all sent beads to a central organizer who strung them on bracelets and sent them back to us in our SASEs (or maybe we PayPaled her? ). We also sent birth blessings/thoughts with our beads, which were then printed out some 18 times by the organizer and sent to all of us. There are a few April '06 mamas in this group who probably participated and have or can take pictures of them.

But yes, that's basically how it works-- we find an organizer, decide what we want to do, the organizer keeps a list and sets a final date for being added. At that point she tells us how many beads to send (one for each person on the list, including the organizer) and send her a SASE and/or money for postage and supplies (she'll need some kind of string to put the beads on, for example). It helps for the organizer to decide on what sort of string she'll be using, so we know how big the holes in the beads need to be (if you're not the sort who spends much time in art supply stores, you'll be astonished at the variety of sizes available .

I totally can't do it this time; I've got three little kids and barely have time to shower. I'm all in favor of helping in my own limited way... but the main roles will have to be played by another.

ETA: One more thing. I'm in agreement that this should probably wait until the late second trimester to begin, at the earliest. We want time to send and receive our bracelets before we're in labor, but at the same time... well, that's three or four more months for something to get lost , in my world.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#20 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 PM

I would like to do this too! Not certain of all of all the details!

I will keep checking posts!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#21 of 58 Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 PM

Count me in!

Is the second trimester swap something entirely different from the bead swap?
I agree with saving the beads for closer to the end, but I also don't want to wait too long, because I would love to have had my beads for a little while before hand.
#22 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

These are some great ideas, I am up for whatever you all want to do!!
#23 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 05:38 AM

I looove swapping. I don't get to do it often since I moved to Australia, but I bet you'll put up with my international-um-ness since this is a DDC. Right?

In my last DDC, we didn't do a bead swap, but we did have a new baby gift/shower swap. Each participant listed likes, dislikes, needs for the new baby or mama, if baby is a boy, girl, or surprise, etc. and we were matched up and sent a gift near a certain dollar amount (I think it was $20ish). That was fun. Lots of people did handmade things, others picked out a few nice items, and some even send gift cards.

We could do a "For Mama" swap this tri, and a "For Baby" next tri???
#24 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 AM

That sounds great, Binah. I think because there's so many regular posters here outside NA- three Australians, one Brit and a couple of other Europeans- that it's going to be really hard to do anything in this DDC without sending internationally.

Shall I go and open a 2nd Tri swap down in the TP now, but leave signups open for a couple of weeks to let people get their post counts up if necessary?

eta:Link to 2nd trimester swap

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#25 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 09:17 AM

ok, now I get the beads concept! I'd love to join in the fun. I think the suggestions of waiting until further along the journey are good ones too - something to wear while birthing, I like!

signature currently in transition
#26 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
That sounds great, Binah. I think because there's so many regular posters here outside NA- three Australians, one Brit and a couple of other Europeans- that it's going to be really hard to do anything in this DDC without sending internationally.

Shall I go and open a 2nd Tri swap down in the TP now, but leave signups open for a couple of weeks to let people get their post counts up if necessary?

eta:Link to 2nd trimester swap
I couldn't get access to the page, I guess I am not qualified. Although I would love to participate.
#27 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 02:44 PM

i would love to do a birth bead swap. i agree with everyone on waiting until the 3rd tri. we're trying to get some bills paid off before the baby gets here, so i could afford some nicer beads in dec/jan.
#28 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM

Add me to those wanting to do a bead swap. I agree, though, closer towards the end. Maybe have them to the organizer by Thanksgiving, with the idea that we'll have them around Christmas/New Year's?
#29 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 06:05 PM

Is there any reason the swap can't be listed on our DDC page?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#30 of 58 Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 PM

I know the mods wouldn't let us do that last time. If it's thru MDC, it has to be on the TP. Something about covering liability on their part, I think.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page