I woke up dizzy.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2007, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got up to go to the bathroom this morning around 5am, and I couldn't walk straight. I was dizzy, literally swirling in front of my face and I had to hold onto the wall to get there and back. A few times my stomach lurched because of the dizzy swirling in front of my face.

I thought it was some weird 5am thing or maybe because I had only gotten about 5 hours of sleep. I went back to bed and slept until 8:30. Laying in bed I feel fine. As soon as I stood up, the dizziness is back.

This isn't regular slight dizziness... this is HOLY CRAP room is spinning dizzy. : I don't feel sick. This is the only thing that feels wrong. But it feels very wrong. My eyes are a bit unfocused and blurry, and this dizziness.

Any clues?

Oh, I do sleep on my back a lot of the time since I'm nursing two children at night... but normally that doesn't bother me much, except for hurting my back.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 10:50 AM

maybe it's not pregnancy related..any chance you have an inner ear infection? my mom used to get them all the time and would be extremely dizzy like that.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the elyse View Post
maybe it's not pregnancy related..any chance you have an inner ear infection? my mom used to get them all the time and would be extremely dizzy like that.
I haven't had an ear infection in years. Literally like... 15 years. I suppose its possible, but I haven't had any pain or anything. I went to bed last night fine. Tired, but fine.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 08-12-2007, 10:57 AM

how is your blood pressure?

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 AM

I'm not in your due date club (Jan here), but this happens to me when I don't have enough protein. My midwife suggested this pregnancy and it really seems to have worked for me is to drink a protein shake each morning just try not to get one that is all about muscles. I had a dizzy spell last night and yesterday was the first day I didn't drink my drink. Your supposed to get 75 to 100 mg of protein a day.

HTH
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the elyse View Post
how is your blood pressure?
My last appointment was close to a month ago. I have an appt on Wed with my OB. Last I knew it was actually very low. Not worrisome low I guess, but she did say something like, "Wow. Your blood pressure is VERY low! ... Thats great." : So I guess I wasn't dead. I have no idea what it is right now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulbambina View Post
I'm not in your due date club (Jan here), but this happens to me when I don't have enough protein. My midwife suggested this pregnancy and it really seems to have worked for me is to drink a protein shake each morning just try not to get one that is all about muscles. I had a dizzy spell last night and yesterday was the first day I didn't drink my drink. Your supposed to get 75 to 100 mg of protein a day.

HTH
Hmm... I know I fall short of that most days. But I did with most of my pregnancies. Thank you for the advice though.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Are you getting up too fast? We have 50% more blood volume, and fast movements can cause dizziness.

If it is really bad, so bad you can't get up at all without being dizzy, I'd consider getting to a Dr asap. My sister had vertigo once, and it wasn't fun!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 08-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Nature, I would put my money on some combo of blood pressure and not enough of something in your diet the day before. I also have low blood pressure (usually around 88/50), and I am almost always dizzy when I stand up. It is sometimes worse in the middle of the night, but it's been that way my whole life so I don't even notice - just take for granted that I have to keep one hand on the wall and that it takes 5-10 seconds for everything to clear. Some other tips:
  • always sit up for a few seconds before standing up
  • if you are bending over, come up very slowly and stop half-way to let your bp adjust
  • keep up your salt intake

Any position change or sudden activity change (i.e. from intense exercise to resting quickly) can bring on the dizzies with low blood pressure, so just be a little bit more conscious of changing elevation slowly.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:58 PM

Could the low blood pressure be realted to becoming dehydrated during the night? When you're dehydrated, your blood pressure can go down because your blood volume goes down. And if you're nursing 2 kiddies at night you must be using up a lot of water. Do you drink water at night?
Janine
Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM

I think your body still hasn't adjusted to the trauma of the stomach bug last week- or is it two weeks ago now? I'd agree with the pp's to try and get some more protein in and a good multivitamin, but I'd also try and find a holistic practitioner. Your body is under a LOT of stress right now with everything you're going through, and I think you're getting some clear-cut warning signs to stop and start thinking about taking care of yourself.

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but in your shoes I'd also nightwean. YMMV.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas for your thoughts and ideas.

It didn't happen last night when I woke up... which was really odd since I expected it. I ran myself really ragged yesterday. The pest control company came to spray for bed bugs, and its a LOT of prep work and furniture moving, and boxing up. Our house looks like we just moved in. (we're staying at a relatives house right now) So I was really surprised that I slept so well last night.

(I can't walk today but thats besides the point. )

I will mention the dizziness to my doctor for sure on Wed.

and start putting water by my bed at night. I'm horrible at that..

My 4 yo is slowly starting to nightwean herself.. so we're getting there.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM

One of the only good pieces of advice to come from "the best friends guide to pregnancy"- I think it's the girlfriends guide over there?

Don't take a glass of water to bed, take a glass of ice. That way, it'll be nice and cold when you wake up in the middle of the night

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM

Funnily enough, I had several dizzy spells this morning, too. Clammy, hot/cold, dizzy. I drank very little yesterday when I've just recently been able to manage almost a liter a day, so that's my guess...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 PM

This is my only real complaint this time around. I have had this day and night for almost two monthes now. I have low blood pressure anyway but it is bad right now, they checked my ears and iron and HGB and all are well above normal so go get you ears checked, BP, and iron levels.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 AM

I had a very similar experience about 2 weeks ago. I woke up in the morning and headed down to the bathroom and had to hang on to the walls and railing the entire way. I thought it would pass and kept waiting but it did not. I headed back to bed and laid there...the entire room was spinning, it felt like if you get really drunk and have "bed spins". It took a couple of hours before I started feeling normal again. As I lay in bed I kept thinking I was dying....I wanted to close my eyes and go to sleep but was afraid to.

Anyway, I hope that you are feeling better after this episode. I have not had another, thank God!!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2-3 View Post
I had a very similar experience about 2 weeks ago. I woke up in the morning and headed down to the bathroom and had to hang on to the walls and railing the entire way. I thought it would pass and kept waiting but it did not. I headed back to bed and laid there...the entire room was spinning, it felt like if you get really drunk and have "bed spins". It took a couple of hours before I started feeling normal again. As I lay in bed I kept thinking I was dying....I wanted to close my eyes and go to sleep but was afraid to.

Anyway, I hope that you are feeling better after this episode. I have not had another, thank God!!
Yes thats exactly like what it felt like! Thats why I described it as .. not right!

User Tag List