Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
I wish it was a good thing! But it's not Reclining and semi-reclining encourages the baby into a bad position that can make labor long and difficult.
This really bums me out because my recliner is the only comfortable seat in the house and the only type of seat in the living room. What positions are "good" positions to be in and encourage good baby position? (he is currently spending most of his time with his spine to mine with his butt down) During the day I spend 8-10 hours or so walking and standing and I try to practice squatting for an hour or so every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM

Squatting, tailor sitting (on a hard surface), sitting on a birth ball, kneeling - basically avoiding soft surfaces and seats in which you're reclined. When sitting on my computer chair (can't find the plug to my birth ball, which I usually sit on at the computer when pregnant) I sit toward the edge of the chair with my plevis forward and my legs a comfortable distance apart.
This spinningbabies.com link might be helpful to you.
#3 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM

But do keep in mind that your position might have little affect on the babies at this early stage. My babe is consistently kicking me right on the cervix like it's trying to get out. I wish it would flip already!

It is good to be practicing all those positions though. Pelvic tilts and walking are great!
#4 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_nym View Post
basically avoiding soft surfaces and seats in which you're reclined.
Wow. If I did this I would never sit down. Even my dining room chairs at squishy. I have an exercise ball but it is not inflated yet so I will do that today but my tables and desk are too high to use it while on the computer. I do squatting now to get my legs used to the position but again that is impractical when trying to work on the computer.

Thanks for the advise. I guess I will just do the best I can for the time being. I am hoping that the large amount of time I spend in "good" positions will counteract the relatively shorter amount of time I spend in "bad" positions. In the long run, I think my comfort is important also because if I spend to much time in "good" positions that are uncomfortable for me it will make me miserable and that won't be good for baby either
#5 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 10:59 PM

By "soft surfaces" I'm talking overstuffed couches and such. My computer chair is padded, but not so much that I'm sinking into it.
#6 of 10 Old 10-09-2007, 10:17 AM

I love these threads. They are so informative and are a great reminder!! I've been doing the "I'm gonna start walking today" thing for a few weeks... Guess how many days I've walked, about once a week. Ugh. So now I'm sitting at work in my nice padded leather work chair, and reminding myself to SIT UP STRAIGHT, YOUNG LADY! At home I will sit more on my exercise ball more often. Must remember to pump it up.

We should bump this thread as a regular reminder to sit up and take walks!!

signature currently in transition
#7 of 10 Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM

Seeing as we're reminding each other, I got a gentle reminder from the physio this morning:
work your bottom muscles, ladies Clench when you stand, clench when you sit and it'll keep the pelvic ring nice and firm. Otherwise, you'll end up like me and you really don't want that....

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#8 of 10 Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM

I have read that our great great grandmothers and such never had much problems with posterior babes because they spent alot of time on hands and knees in the garden, scrubbing floors, etc... that this is a problem of recent generations.
I will be inflating mt birth ball soon, and when I am watching a movie or something like that I will chill out on my knees, kinda draped over the ball, with some pillows, etc, to help me get comfy like that. For now I am just trying to make sure I am sitting more on the edge of my seat and not crossing my legs at all.
It's definately worth trying a change in position if you have a posterior (spine to spine) babe.

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#9 of 10 Old 10-09-2007, 10:47 AM

There is a book called Optimal Foetal positioning that is very informative regarding this subject. I did a google search and found this website:

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm
#10 of 10 Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM

The book is hard to find now, but there are lots of websites detailing the information from the book. It is really good stuff!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page