Mothering Forum banner

Just trying to be prepared

500 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  steph117 
#1 ·
I've been battling a nasty head-cold/URI the past few days. I know it's probably more than just a cold 'cause I do have some signs that there is an infection present (yellow mucous, sweats, malaise, etc.), thankfully no fever but this morning I was coughing quite a bit so it's trying to head into my chest. Thus far I've just been doing rest, fluids, and Emergen-C 2-3x's per day, but I know I'm going to need more if it decides to settle in my chest and might possibly require abx (something I want to avoid at almost all costs since I have a huge hx of use and require megadoses to be effective). Any suggestions? My chiro suggested oil of oregano, but I don't want to start buying supplements willy nilly without a clear treatment plan in mind.

#2 ·
The coughing is a good thing, it's trying to keep the crap off your chest. I'd suggest making yourself a pan of cold soup: about a pound of sliced onions and a whole garlic, sliced and sauteed off with some olive oil. Add some cayenne (you're not cramping, are you?) and a lot of thyme, then pour some stock in and leave to cook out for a while. Stick some honey in if you want it. Obviously, it isn't cold, but you knew that, right?

#4 ·
I just battled off something myself. My suggestions (also, my midwife's):

-use a neti pot!! That's SO helpful to clear sinus stuff. i used it at least 3x a day.
-for the cough: inhale steam. boil water, turn off heat, drape a cloth over your head & inhale the steam for 15 mins or so; it really opens up the passageways. put a drop or two of essential oil (like peppermint or eucalyptus) in the water for major clearing action.
-use a humidifier.
-she also recommended oscillococcinum (sp? i think that's right) - a homeopathic flu med.

hope you feel better soon...being sick is NO FUN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.