Is anyone doing Dr. Brewer's pregnancy diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...40hj-7,00.html

It's a LOT of food. I have a hard time getting enough dairy (don't like milk) so I've been buying calcium-fortified oatmeal & orange juice and eating yogurt & cheeses every day.
I do eat meat, but don't think I can stomach *liver* even though he highly recommends it!
It also seems like a lot of eggs, doesn't it? 14 a week?! But I do think they are an excellent source of protein.
Stacy
26 weeks
#2 of 18 Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist33 View Post
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...40hj-7,00.html

It's a LOT of food. I have a hard time getting enough dairy (don't like milk) so I've been buying calcium-fortified oatmeal & orange juice and eating yogurt & cheeses every day.
I do eat meat, but don't think I can stomach *liver* even though he highly recommends it!
It also seems like a lot of eggs, doesn't it? 14 a week?! But I do think they are an excellent source of protein.
Stacy
26 weeks
I'm sort of doing it. I mean I intend to do it, but Mr Toona does things like buy white bread sometimes, or a 25lb bag of white rice. Well, I do my best. I do get really sick of eggs, though. I like them, but it's alot for everyday. I'm ok with drinking alot of milk, so that part's ok. Liver, though, naw, it's not my thing either. I try to do it to a point, but when it's friday/saturday and I just can't face another egg, I feel like my body's ok with the oatmeal instead, ya know?

signature currently in transition
#3 of 18 Old 11-05-2007, 04:51 PM

I've been trying... I can usually manage to get the eggs in, and most of the dairy.. but hitting that 80-100 grams of protein a day is really hard for a vegetarian.. even one that has been eating some fish while pregnant.
My new midwife only recommends 60-80, so i'm feeling better.

I want a big, healthy baby.. but not a 10pounder+!
#4 of 18 Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

80-100 grams??? seriously???? i can't stand eggs. dairy has been giving me the runs and really bad gas lately....

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#5 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 AM

I aim for 80-100 grams of protein a day....I did the diet with my son and it worked out well. I had almost zero swelling even though I had ds on 8/1 with 100 degree days. I can't do eggs or dairy now though so it makes it a little more challenging. I eat more produce and less grains than their recommendation. I do eat liver once per week either cow liver ground into meatloaf (very easy way to get it in) or chicken liver pate. It really helps my energy levels.

Quote:
I want a big, healthy baby.. but not a 10pounder+!
My ds was 8.5 pounds, so he was not too huge

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#6 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I aim for 80-100 grams of protein a day....I did the diet with my son and it worked out well. I had almost zero swelling even though I had ds on 8/1 with 100 degree days. I can't do eggs or dairy now though so it makes it a little more challenging. I eat more produce and less grains than their recommendation. I do eat liver once per week either cow liver ground into meatloaf (very easy way to get it in) or chicken liver pate. It really helps my energy levels.

My ds was 8.5 pounds, so he was not too huge
Good to hear!
And I have been doing well on the diet.. my only pregnancy annoyance so far has been a sore back. I couldn't imagine eating the liver, even if i wasn't veg.. but eggs.. they are impressive. Just read this on wikipedia: "They supply a large amount of complete, high-quality[7] protein (which contains all essential amino acids for humans), and provide significant amounts of several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, choline, iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. They are also one of the least expensive single-food sources of complete protein."
#7 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 12:03 PM

I do put an emphasis on protein intake and try to get 60-80 grams of protein per day (which is easy as someone who loves meat and eggs). But the other stuff is just way too much food- I would feel sick eating that much.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#8 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 01:22 PM

I'm trying to get at least 60g a protein a day now that I'm not throwing up all the time Eggs finally look good again so I've been trying to eat two a day, for example.

Other than that though, I think it's a good diet but I definitely don't think it helps with pre-e at all (at least not the kind I had) and I just can't eat that much, so...yeah.

Oh and I can't stomach liver either, which is too bad because it's a great source of iron!

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#9 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Dea

My bradley instructor has suggested to us to try it. So I'm trying, and it's a lot of food. Much more than I have ever eaten in a day. However if it's good for the baby. I can't seem to eat the eggs though. I'm just not a fan of them, and NO LIVER, ick ick ick.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#10 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 PM

I think I'm gonna start this diet now. Hopefully being able to eat so much will keep me from eating all the crap I do (half a bag of caramels anyone?)

The midwife I saw in CO before I miscarried the pregnancy before this one gave me all the guidelines for it in her welcome packet and I just found it today.

Plus our food stamps have finally been approved so we'll probably be getting that in the mail any day now and be able to go shopping and get the stuff I need!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#11 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM

I've been eating my own modified version of it - I don't get eggs in everyday, but I eat them most days (I lurve eggs!), I haven't had liver in yeeeears, and I'm definitely eating 4 servings of dairy a day. I dunno, I tracked my food intake for a few days and I was getting very close if not at the protein recommendations. Maybe that's the reason I've been averaging a pound a week?

But in all seriousness, I was freaking out that my pg diet wasn't healthy enough a few weeks ago,and after finding the Brewer diet I realized I had been following it all along (okay, there were a few months this summer when I totally fell off the veggie train, but I'm back on full-force now!)...
#12 of 18 Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoschmoco View Post
I've been eating my own modified version of it - I don't get eggs in everyday, but I eat them most days (I lurve eggs!), I haven't had liver in yeeeears, and I'm definitely eating 4 servings of dairy a day. I dunno, I tracked my food intake for a few days and I was getting very close if not at the protein recommendations. Maybe that's the reason I've been averaging a pound a week?
Hehe! I think it depends on your body. I haven't gained weight in over a month but I'm meeting the protein recommendations I think. LOL

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#13 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM

I have been teaching this diet for awhile, and I would like to add that the liver component is not one of the more crucial ones, so it is easily skipped without compromising the basic philosophies behind the diet.

But here are two vegetarian versions of the Brewer Diet that can be used....

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id28.html

JJ

RN, wife, mother, midwife's assistant, webmaster
#14 of 18 Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 PM

I followed the Brewer diet very closely when I was pregnant with dd #1. I never did eat the liver, but yes 2 eggs a day, 3 baked potatoes a week, etc. It really was a TON of food and I found I was uncomfortably forcing myself to eat it all by the end of my pregnancy. Seriously, I would sit at my plate forcing myself to chew and swallow with no pleasure in it. I wound up gaining a lot of weight (more than 40 pounds) but lost it all easily within the first year, by nursing dd on demand. I must say this for the diet--- other than the large weight gain, I had a very healthy pregnancy with few discomforts and my baby was born a perfectly healthy 8 pounds 11 ounces. She is an extremely healthy person to this day.

This time around I don't have the kind of willpower (masochism? ) to follow the Brewer diet so closely. I am focusing on protein foods and paying attention to my body's signals, letting my appetite guide my food choices within reason.

My dd was born : in May 2006 and my ds was born : in February 2008. : :
: We're on an extended tandem nursing adventure! :
#15 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 AM

I try. I tried last time, and had no swelling, ever. DD was a nice 8 pounds, and the LC told me she had a beautiful fat distribution and that she could tell I ate well in pregnancy. My first moment of mama pride! :

I don't eat eggs every day, but I do have two for breakfast several days a week.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#16 of 18 Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I try. I tried last time, and had no swelling, ever. DD was a nice 8 pounds, and the LC told me she had a beautiful fat distribution and that she could tell I ate well in pregnancy. My first moment of mama pride! :

I don't eat eggs every day, but I do have two for breakfast several days a week.
That's awesome Loraxc! Mama pride indeed! And well deserved! It gives me inspiration to stick to it, I've been here and there with it, to be sure!

signature currently in transition
#17 of 18 Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 PM

I am not really following it down to the letter... but I am using it as a guideline! I hardly ever get in the full dairy everyday but I don't worry too much. Some people say too much dairy can get you a really big baby b/c of the sugar (I think I read that somewhere? Aviva Jill Romm maybe?)

As far as the protein I try to make sure I get a protein serving at every meal and snacks, even if it is just a glass of milk with my granola bar.

Eating eveything on there is just way too much and I can already feel my stomach shrinking!!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#18 of 18 Old 11-24-2007, 11:28 AM

Just FYI for whoever's interested......

I recently came across a situation where a midwife was under the impression that the Brewer Diet called for 1 gallon of milk a day. This is incorrect. The Brewer Diet only calls for 4 cups of milk a day (4 c. = 1 qt). You can substitute 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or 1 cup of yogurt (sugarless, if you like) for each cup of milk.

I have not heard of babies getting too big due to these 4 cups of milk a day. However, I have heard of babies getting to be larger than average from the mother's use of protein drinks and powders, instead of getting her protein from regular foods. For more on this issue, you can check my FAQ page....
http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id13.html

Higher levels of milk are suggested by the Brewer Diet in special situations only--such as pregnancies with multiples, elevated blood pressure (PIH), pre-eclampsia, or intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR).

It might also be useful for folks to think about what might be considered "too big" in their community. In the community of mainstream medicine, birth weights of 5 lbs to 7 1/2 lbs may be considered normal, while birth weights of 8 lbs to 10 lbs may be considered "too big". In the home birth community, and possibly even many midwife-attended hospital births, birth weights under 7 lbs 2 oz are often considered to be less than optimal, and birth weights between 7 lbs 2 oz and 9 1/2 lbs are considered to be average, and birth weights of 9 1/2 lbs to 10 3/4 lbs may still be considered to be an upper range of normal and do-able, depending on what else is going on.

Also, one of the tricks for getting enough food in when the stomach is so crowded is to eat something every hour, rather than relying on the usual 3 meals a day. For more on this you can see my Topic-of-the-Week on "Water".....
http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id31.html

I would also like to issue a caution about the use of skim milk in pregnancy. I recently saw an article by a dietician in which she stated that the use of skim milk in pregnancy was just as good as the use of other milks. While skim milk has a slightly higher level of nutrients than milks with fat in them, because less space is being taken up by the fat, I believe that mothers also need to consider the fact that some vitamins are fat-soluble (A, D, E, and K) and are used more readily by the body when some fat is present (as in 1% milk). It may also be useful for mothers to consider that some fat may be necessary in the pregnancy diet for optimal formation of the baby's central nervous system among other things.

JJ

RN, wife, mother, midwife's assistant, webmaster

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page