*****spotlight on eilonwy ****** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you come up with your childrens nick names?
have you homeschooled from the beginning? What made you decide to homeschool? do you use a curriculum or is it more unschooling?
tell us something about yourself that no one here knows.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 07:00 PM

How on earth do you pronounce Eilon??

signature currently in transition
Old 12-15-2007, 06:01 PM

BeanBean-- I wanted to name him Ender Akiva when I was pregnant with him. I was absolutely *desperate*. I actually cried when I saw him because he looked SO much like an Ender, and my husband was adamantly against it. However, he had no trouble with the nickname "Bean," so Bean it was. He's been BeanBean ever since. (He's also got half a dozen other nicknames, but Bean is the one we use most often.)

BooBah-- Boobah is Hebrew for "doll." She looked like a little pink toy when she was born. Just absolutely perfect-- she is quite the doll baby!

Bella-- By this point, I'd decided her nickname must begin with a B. While I was pregnant, I thought, "I can call her 'BumbleBee' when she's born!" Then she was born, and she just wasn't a BumbleBee. Bella came out while I was making cutesy noises at her, and it flows nicely with her actual name. It's also (Latin?) for 'beautiful,' and Bella is a beautiful child if I do say so myself.

Seamonkey-- This is the odd one. During the pregnancies, the babies have been "Bellybeans" except for this one. I have no idea why he's a Seamonkey, he just is. ChibiChibi (10.5) calls him "a parasite" or "a symbiote" and thinks of him as something of a larval goa'uld. (Yes, my entire family is that geeky. )

Homeschooling-- I decided that I would homeschool my kids when I was in seventh grade and learned, at a mathCounts competition, that it was possible. Everything I've learned since then has only served to strengthen my resolve, be it about the educational system, my children, or society in general. I take great pride in the fact that my children have no idea what "High School musical" is, beyond a ploy to get you to buy crappy toys at Walmart.

BeanBean is enrolled in a cyber charter school, so from a legal perspective he is not homeschooling-- he's a public charter school student. Practically speaking, he's at home and we're doing the work. The curriculum is very highly structured, which is what works best for him. Bean would never be happy as an unschooler, he really, REALLY prefers to have direction and needs a great deal of external feedback at this point. BooBah is more laid back than her brother, and would probably be a very happy unschooler if she was the older/only child. She's very self-directed and self-motivated, to an extent that her brother can't even begin to fathom. If I can find a cyber charter school which uses the Oak meadow curriculum or something like that, I'll certainly pursue it with BooBah (though right now, she is DEAD SET on "going" to Agora with her brother).

Each kid is different, though, so I'm keeping my mind open. The fact that Agora is working so well for BeanBean right now doesn't mean that it'll work as well for BooBah or Bella or Seamonkey. The reason I chose Agora for Bean was because I thought it would be a good fit *for him*, but he and his sisters are different children and what works for one may not work as well for the others. It goes back to Thing Number One: Homeschooling is, for me, saying, "I'm responsible for seeing that my children's educational needs are met in the best way for them." Bean could never go to a traditional public school, nor could he unschool and remain sane. While I have strong, negative feelings about public school, I can't rule out the possibility that one of my children will eventually want/need to go, and that it will be the best thing for them to do at that time.

Something noone here knows about me. . . That's difficult. I feel like I'm always dropping crazy clues. Let's see. . . I'm a terrible housekeeper. : Is that surprising? Oh, and if you've never read my blog you won't know that I swear like a sailor in real life. Seriously. It's bad. I drop more f-bombs than a destroyer. . . :

Eilonwy-- eye-LON-wee. She's the female lead in the Chronicles of Prydain (prih-DAHN), which happened to be the last books I'd finished before the first time I logged in to a talker online. I was actually quite shocked to find the name available here-- it's usually long-since taken.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 12-15-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post

Something noone here knows about me. . . That's difficult. I feel like I'm always dropping crazy clues. Let's see. . . I'm a terrible housekeeper. : Is that surprising? Oh, and if you've never read my blog you won't know that I swear like a sailor in real life. Seriously. It's bad. I drop more f-bombs than a destroyer. . . :

What are you most looking forward to about this little one? What do you think his personality will be like compared to your other kids- what's he like in the womb compared to them?

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 12-16-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post

What are you most looking forward to about this little one? What do you think his personality will be like compared to your other kids- what's he like in the womb compared to them?
I'm a libra-- I like BALANCE in all things. This baby is a boy-- I will have two boys and two girls. He is due in the winter, so I'll have fall, winter, spring and summer babies. He's due at the beginning of the month; I've got one at the beginning and two at the ends, so that's right, too. If all continues well, he will have lighter hair and darker eyes. I'm also hoping that he is, indeed, a moose baby because he is my last. It would be absolutely perfect if he could be 8 lbs 4 oz (truly a giant, compared to my other three) and 21" long. (BeanBean= 20", 7.5 pounds. BooBah= 19", 6.75 lbs. Bella= 18", 6 lbs. I don't want him to go down in the pattern to 5.25 lbs, 17", but if he was 8.25 pounds and 21" he'd still fit the pattern, just on the other end. I patterns.)

I'm also looking forward to getting rid of baby things. Perhaps it sounds premature, but we're buried in clutter here. I'm already clearing out the girly things as best I can (haven't found anyone on Holiday Helpers who needs preemie & newborn girl clothing ), and as Seamonkey grows, I'll be able to pass everything else along.

Personality-wise, this is one of the more active babies in the womb. However, as the balance thing must come into play, I'm expecting a more difficult baby and an easier, more independant toddler/preschooler. I'm also hoping for a baby within a week of term (only had one of those) who does not go to NICU (had two of those already) and who is an easy and facile nursling. Balance in all things.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 AM

Rynna, if you're ever in Northern Virginia, do let me know. All of the various geekdom references have me laughing out loud

When we thought our peanut was a girl, I was campaigning for Eowyn as a name. So I obviously think Ender is a perfectly fantastic name.

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writerbird View Post
Rynna, if you're ever in Northern Virginia, do let me know. All of the various geekdom references have me laughing out loud

When we thought our peanut was a girl, I was campaigning for Eowyn as a name. So I obviously think Ender is a perfectly fantastic name.
mike would have agreed to Samweis, but that's the most boring one! (I lobbied for Denethor as well-- it wasn't his fault he was nuts, it was the palantir!) I did have one small disappointment when I learned that this was a boy-- I won't be able to talk mike into mayim Daenerys.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 PM

I can't believe we're going to have babies so soon. . .

Old 12-19-2007, 02:23 AM

How do you plan to birth? Also, did I read on some other thread here that you are leaking fluid already? Is everything going ok or is there any concern at this point? Do you have the little guy's name picked out yet? (Denethor WOULD be AWESOME!!!!)
Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 PM

This baby is supposed to be born by scheduled c-section (because I've had two). I've had several dreams already that the baby is born entirely unlike the other three-- I just go into labor and drop him quickly, the way everyone else in my family gives birth. The way I figure it, for the balance equation to work out he has to be born vaginally. Likewise, if, by some chance, I decide to have another baby this one will have to be born vaginally. . . but if he *is*, it'll be unassisted. Don't know, really, but I'll go ahead and plan the c-section.

I am leaking fluid on and off. On the other hand, it's not constant and the belly, while it sometimes shrinks, is usually full and round again by the next day. I think I've just got a slow leak. It does explain my desperate cravings for citrus, which I'm indulging to the best of my ability. Because I'm leaking, I'm actually paying attention to Seamonkey's movement. He's rockin' and wild, but if he slows down noticeably or if the kicks start to feel different (like there's not enough fluid to cushion them properly) then I'll get all paranoid. Oh, and (tmi alert!) I've taken to sleeping with a diaper between my legs. Only need to wake in a puddle once.

We've got some names in mind. I've got a definate favorite, and it's growing on mike, but there are things he doesn't quite like (it's a bit alliterative for him). He flat-out vetoed Denethor, but I might still be able to squeeze it in as a middle name. Last baby, you know? Perhaps I can get away with more.

User Tag List