Lotus Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone planning to have a lotus birth? I didn't with ezra but have become convinced of it this time. like, okay, why not?

last time i was really worried about the dog licking it or trying to eat it or something. but, he barely even noticed ezra all wrapped up in blankets!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#2 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 11:38 AM

I've been tossing the idea around. I know that it will be quite awhile before we cut the cord- what's the hurry? But I don't know if I want to wait for natural separation. On one hand, it seems very gentle and nurturing, and on the other, most other mammals separate the placenta from the baby. I think I'm just going to go this one on instinct, and figure it out when the time comes.
#3 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 12:45 PM

i've thought about it too... but i really do think my dog would go NUTS. she's an indoor boxer, and i really don't want to have to fight her off anymore than i'm already anticipating. (she's not aggressive at all, just VERY curious) plus, i really want the benifits of the placenta for me as selfish as that may be. ::

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#4 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 03:40 PM

I'm am definitely planning on it. I don't really want to bother with cutting the cord.
#5 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 04:17 PM

I am planning on it also. I do have a cat that could be too curious about it. But my hope is that if I have it covered with enough rosemary and other stuff that he'll leave it alone. I think rosemary will be too aromatic for his interest.

I did some reading on this several months ago, and so now my brain is fuzzy on the subject....... If the placenta is properly cared for, does lotus birth exclude it from being used for consumption later? I think I remember that it could be powdered and used in that form. Does anyone else know or remember?

TIA.
#6 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM

I'm doing a Lotus Birth. I've been reading about it since my last baby was a newborn. I've read that it has been reported that Lotus Birth babes don't have jaundice and rarely lose weight like other infants regularly do. I'm convinced that the correlation of 2-5 days for cord placenta to detach and 2-5 days for mothers milk to come in is no coincidence. There is not a lot of science out there to back that up but it feels right to me so we are not cutting!
#7 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 04:58 PM

I don't understand the salting of the placenta...would that not transfer to the infant? From what I remember salt is not good for infant kidneys can someone point me for answers on that one?

8 might be enough
#8 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 PM

No, but we are waiting for the placenta to be born before cutting the cord. Unless it feels right to do it earlier

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Is anyone planning on eating their placenta? I was reading about it on the ppd forum last night. I think I would like to have capsules made, but I am not sure where we would do this. I am going to ask my midwife next week.
#10 of 20 Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APMomOfKimmyN-Maya View Post
I'm doing a Lotus Birth. I've been reading about it since my last baby was a newborn. I've read that it has been reported that Lotus Birth babes don't have jaundice and rarely lose weight like other infants regularly do. I'm convinced that the correlation of 2-5 days for cord placenta to detach and 2-5 days for mothers milk to come in is no coincidence. There is not a lot of science out there to back that up but it feels right to me so we are not cutting!
very interesting!

where have you done most of your reading about it?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#11 of 20 Old 01-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Dea

From what I understand there are 2 levels of lotus birth, the first being that you are pretty much really delaying the cord cutting, and the second being you leave the placenta attached until the cord separates naturally.

I can't find any references to any culture, or any stage of human evolution doing the second. I can find plenty regarding eating the placenta though. (I'm planning on having a placenta smoothie and having the rest made into capsules)

Regarding milk not coming in until later which may correspond to when the cord detaches, I think that is coincidence. There is still colostrum and infants come all topped up, so to speak.

I would think that the benefits of the mother consuming the placenta would be far more beneficial to the mother and the baby than it just being allowed to dry up.

Anyhow this is just my opinion, I've read about it and I can't wrap my mind about why to do it. If anyone does it can you tell us about it after and how it worked out? I have read an account of children apparently being able to remember a calm feeling after birth whereas their older siblings who had their cord cut remember being "torn away". But I don't know how much of that was coached by the parents.

Such an interesting topic, and I'm huge anthropological geek so I'm fascinated.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#12 of 20 Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 AM

just as interested although not in your ddc august...

Quote:
Cultural anthropology is a realm rich with birth & postpartum traditions different from western medicine's
immediate severance rituals. For example, the modern islanders of peaceful Bali, a beautiful culture that
esteems beauty in all things, still continue the ancient practice of extended-delayed cord clamping-severance
(typically 2-5 hours after the birth) and have many full Lotus Births at home and in birth centers.
http://www.lotusfertility.com/Lotus_..._Birth_QA.html

can I dry my placenta in my dehyrator?

Quote:
Actually not all mammals sever the cord and eat or bury the placenta! In fact, the mammals considered to
be of the highest animal intelligence, the primate chimpanzees (who are also monogamous and socially
supportive of each other), do not sever the cord (and who doesn't adore chimps?) The new mothers carry the
baby-placenta in their arms
Quote:
Lotus Birth is practiced by some Indigenous Australian tribes, the Kung tribe in Africa and occurs in some parts of Russia and India. Some species of monkey also do not sever their baby’s cords.
http://www.natural-birth.com.au/flex...-beginning.cfm

8 might be enough
#13 of 20 Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
No, but we are waiting for the placenta to be born before cutting the cord. Unless it feels right to do it earlier
that is what we did last time and would like to do again:

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#14 of 20 Old 01-27-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I don't understand the salting of the placenta...would that not transfer to the infant? From what I remember salt is not good for infant kidneys can someone point me for answers on that one?
I remember in my research that there is no transfer from the placenta to the baby after just a few hours at most I think. There is a jelly that forms shortly after birth that prevents transmission between the two so there is no risk of any kind of infection or whatever.

Here is the link and a few paragraphs from that page:

http://www.lotusfertility.com/Lotus_Birth.html

After the birth of the placenta, it can be placed in a bowl near the mother-baby. It is important to keep the placenta level with the baby after birth until the gelatinous substance (called "Wharton's Jelly" in obstetrics) has solidified, hence no more blood transfusion is occurring. This happens several minutes after the cord stops pulsing. When ready, use a colander to drain off any excess blood. Using a pitcher of warm water, gently rinse the placenta, taking care to remove any blood clots ( as they will decay quickly) and pat dry.

You can salt the placenta on both sides in order to preserve it better. How much salt is up to you. Not everyone chooses to salt the placenta- and if you will be using it to plant a tree over, the less salt the better. Essential oils of Basil, Frankincense, Myrrh, Lavender, or Rosemary can also be applied for preservation, as well as powdered Goldenseal, Turmeric, or Tulsi. Application of salt and/or herbs can be repeated each day for a few days, depending on how quickly the placenta dries out.

The dried placenta can be further prepared (powdered and encapsulated) for postpartum nutritional Chinese medicine, esteemed for its hormonal properties which are in unique proportion for each placenta.

I hope this answers some questions. I know it helped me to go back and look over some of the info, since I read it first around 12-16 weeks.
#15 of 20 Old 01-27-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
After the birth of the placenta, it can be placed in a bowl near the mother-baby. It is important to keep the placenta level with the baby after birth until the gelatinous substance (called "Wharton's Jelly" in obstetrics) has solidified, hence no more blood transfusion is occurring.
okay but if nothing is being transfered anymore to the baby *forgive me if this an uber ignorant question* what is the benefit/risks to the babe to keep it attached?

8 might be enough
#16 of 20 Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
okay but if nothing is being transfered anymore to the baby *forgive me if this an uber ignorant question* what is the benefit/risks to the babe to keep it attached?
Well, I guess that depends on what you believe in at that point. And its not an ignorant question.

If you believe in the transference of energies, it becomes a spiritual thing. Some of the reading I have done, I think it was in the book "Sacred Birthing" by Sunni Karll, explains that in her experience, babies who are not prematurely separated from the placenta maintain a level of peace and comfort not seen in babies with cut cords. In SK's practice of delivering babies, those with intact cords rarely cried before the natural separation of baby and placenta.

There is also that the navel is healed when the cord naturally separates in a few days rather than the longer time it takes for a navel to heal with a cord stump.

And if you are really curious, I suggest reading up on this for yourself. It is one thing for me to give my opinion or memory of what I have read. It is another to find out for yourself.

If I have mis-stated anything here, please let me know. My memory is still functioning at the fuzzy baby brain level.
#17 of 20 Old 01-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
And if you are really curious, I suggest reading up on this for yourself. It is one thing for me to give my opinion or memory of what I have read. It is another to find out for yourself.
I've been reading but honestly I am not getting anything negative or balanced...its all been positive but there are some questions I have like the placenta from what i understand is like a piece of meat? Does the placenta rot? Does it smell? Could it attract flies? Are their properties to a placenta I don't know about? Could the placenta become a place to breed disease? I know it starts out sterile ..anyone?

8 might be enough
#18 of 20 Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 AM
Dea

Quote:
I've been reading but honestly I am not getting anything negative or balanced...its all been positive but there are some questions I have like the placenta from what i understand is like a piece of meat? Does the placenta rot? Does it smell? Could it attract flies? Are their properties to a placenta I don't know about? Could the placenta become a place to breed disease? I know it starts out sterile ..anyone?
I read about a family who did it a could times. The first time she salted it and used lavender essence to stop any smell and it was fine, the 2nd she didn't do anything and noticed a meaty smell from it, and the cat was particularly attracted to it.

It is an organ, it is meat, it will get stinky if not taken care of.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#19 of 20 Old 01-28-2008, 05:36 AM

I haven't done this yet, but the negatives that I can think of have more to do with how the placenta is cared for.

I imagine that it would be slightly more to deal with those first few days as you move the baby around. But I like the idea of having a few days in the house before venturing out with the little one. And it is just a few days, so the price of the inconvenience to me is not larger than what the baby could gain from it. And if the baby doesn't cry those first few days, that would be nice too.

As far as a breeding ground for illness, that I think is strictly based upon how you care for it. If I felt that DP and I weren't up for the extra effort of caring for it properly to prevent rot and smell, then I wouldn't do it. I don't know if it could potentially cause illness, but the rotten smell would be the end of it for me. I know that a cord stump also requires *some* care as well, so I don't know which is *easier*.

Lotus birthing is something relatively unknown in our modern world. That is probably most of the reason for the lack of information. I had never heard about it until DP did research on cord cutting. He has a DD from first marriage and he cut the DDs cord. He didn't like that experience and so wanted to see if there were other options.

I will say this though, I think it is something that is generally forgotten when talking about the placenta. It is the same as your baby. It was literally formed from the same egg and sperm as your DC. I view it as this amazing, intricate, yet temporary part of my baby. In some cultures it is called the baby's twin. The word placenta comes from Greek or something, but it contains the meaning of cake..... how interesting that we generally celebrate birthdays with a cake. I think those are special properties.

Good luck in trying to make your decision. Whatever you decide will be right for you and the baby.
#20 of 20 Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM

In regards to cord care, you don't have to do anything to it at all. It falls off very quickly with no interference.

Also, one thing that I notice is that some of the benefits that are claimed to be due to lotus birth, like no jaundice, and milk coming in sooner, are things that I have witnessed with homebirth and delayed cord cutting in general. And assuming that most people doing a lotus birth are homebirthing, that would make sense.

I am interested in the concept, but the more I think about it- or I guess "feel" would be more appropriate, I don't really think it's for me. I have been researching a lot about the necessity of clamping the newborn side before cutting the cord when delayed separation is practiced. The blood flow into and out of the newborn is stopped well before we plan on cutting the cord. And I imagine the stump might fall off faster if it weren't tied with residual blood left inside. There isn't a whole lot of information out there about it from what I've seen, however.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page